Author Topic: Venture 2020  (Read 369127 times)

Enrico Pallazzo and 6 Guests are viewing this topic.

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1980
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
Re: Venture 2020
« Reply #5070 on: October 31, 2023, 12:47:37 AM »
Anyone prefer the standards or heavier versions of Ventures over the V-Light / V-Hollow? Been focusing more on my fundamentals (ollies specifically) and I'm noticing my dragging foot is slow, most of the motion is spent going upwards instead of forwards, resulting in a rocket ollie. Thought a heavier truck would help with slowing down the pop to compensate for the drag, maybe I'd try a 5.8 standard axle with a forged baseplate. I'm sure I'd hate it for a while coming from 5.8 TI but the madness is creeping in.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1120
« Reply #5071 on: October 31, 2023, 05:29:29 AM »
Anyone prefer the standards or heavier versions of Ventures over the V-Light / V-Hollow? Been focusing more on my fundamentals (ollies specifically) and I'm noticing my dragging foot is slow, most of the motion is spent going upwards instead of forwards, resulting in a rocket ollie. Thought a heavier truck would help with slowing down the pop to compensate for the drag, maybe I'd try a 5.8 standard axle with a forged baseplate. I'm sure I'd hate it for a while coming from 5.8 TI but the madness is creeping in.

i ollie better on heavier trucks, i think.

i had one of the best days of my life, almost a quarter of a century ago, on a really light setup. it was when those dumbass spitfire lattice-looking cored wheels came out. i awoke from whatever alcohol drug induced stupor i had going, bought a board, skated this dream spot, and everything worked, better than it should have….
and then i turned right back into a pumpkin soon after.

but in general, heavier boards create more momentum, or something. i’ve gone away from hollow axle trucks. solid 5.8s gave me a great ollie, really felt like i could lay into them as hard as my dusty little legs could
manage.

Rattus Localis

« Reply #5072 on: October 31, 2023, 05:51:02 AM »

I just came off 5.2 hi, the plain Jane standards, and loved them. Something clicked. I was skating pretty small wheels though (old 52s worn down to 50-48 mark by the end). Don't think I'd want the full weight bad boys in any wider size, but that's just personal preference/madness. Hence why I just embarked on a quest to find 5.6 cast hollows.

finecojeffe

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 139
    • Fine-Co avatar image
« Reply #5073 on: October 31, 2023, 05:56:04 AM »
Expand Quote
I go between the two pretty regularly. I prefer ventures at the park as long as im not skating the bowl, and I prefer indys when I'm in the street or in the bowl. I'm on nearly identical setups otherwise, just a difference in trucks. Switching so often makes me wonder if I'd like slappy trucks based on peoples description of them feeling in between the two (more-so noted thunder instead of venture though.
[close]

Try royals.
for real? I haven't even thought about royal since they first came out. They were horrible. I'll assume they got a lot better? Do they match the criteria of what I wrote in my previous post or something?

intendedreceivers

• Rep: 204
« Reply #5074 on: October 31, 2023, 06:16:30 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I go between the two pretty regularly. I prefer ventures at the park as long as im not skating the bowl, and I prefer indys when I'm in the street or in the bowl. I'm on nearly identical setups otherwise, just a difference in trucks. Switching so often makes me wonder if I'd like slappy trucks based on peoples description of them feeling in between the two (more-so noted thunder instead of venture though.
[close]

Try royals.
[close]
for real? I haven't even thought about royal since they first came out. They were horrible. I'll assume they got a lot better? Do they match the criteria of what I wrote in my previous post or something?

The new ones are legit some of the nicest trucks on the market, especially if you like loose. I even liked ’em on a longer board at the park (I think I was riding a Blue Meanie at the time).

Vexed

• Rep: 10
« Reply #5075 on: October 31, 2023, 06:25:17 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Try royals.
[close]

The set of new Royals I had between Ventures was awesome. They definitely have a deeper, more Indy like, turn but are super stable on center.

Both Royal and Slappy feel like good all-round, middle-ground trucks.

(I have a 2nd set of 8.25 Royals on ice I’ve been contemplating posting in classifieds to avoid madness)

LebowskisRug

« Reply #5076 on: October 31, 2023, 06:50:58 AM »
Everyone I know who has tried Slappy has found them generally fine, but all have moved on. They seem to be the good truck that no one actually wanted.

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5077 on: October 31, 2023, 07:51:11 AM »
Everyone I know who has tried Slappy has found them generally fine, but all have moved on. They seem to be the good truck that no one actually wanted.

yes, this seems right on. i haven’t tried.

my blathering is this: the 3-4 brands of trucks, have distinct enough features/attributes. with these attributes come certain negatives. find what’s most important, deal with the rest.

i do want to try royals, but i always come back to venture and thunder.

SupremePizza

• Rep: 59
« Reply #5078 on: October 31, 2023, 08:16:18 AM »
Went from a 8.25 FA to 8.38 Gx1000 on the same 5.6s. I found the slightly mellower and longer tail made manuals a bit easier to hold and probably landed my best back 180 which I've never been good at. My only complaint is that the longer tail seemed to make treflips a bit harder to scoop around. I'm guessing it's probably just a matter of getting used to it plus the fact that I was tired and hadn't skated in over a week. I think I want to try the FA shape #2 next. Never felt more awake!

finecojeffe

• Fine-Co avatar image
« Reply #5079 on: October 31, 2023, 08:49:52 AM »
based on the suggestions and the replies regarding royals, I guess I'll give the inverted kingpin version a shot. Hopefully the 8.75 ones are the ticket for me.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1034
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #5080 on: October 31, 2023, 08:59:45 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Try royals.
[close]

Yes, that's why I suggested them. You get the stability of ventures but with the ability to carve without wheelbite (thunder).

Slappy trucks are decidedly in the ACE/Indy/ML camp of turn, whereas the Royals are in the Thunder/Venture camp BUT turn better than both. The stock bushings are super soft, if you like a more indy feel keep them stock, if you want a more venture feel (while still being able to turn) throw in some hards.

At my local bowls, there is one pocket that I will always fail in with thunders (wheelbite) or ventures (turn delay) if I forget / just cruising for speed and let muscle memory take over; I don't fail that pocket with indy/ace/theeve/slappy or royals.

I can't recall which thread, this one or the royal one, that shows the royals are essentially damn near the same design, pitch, angles, space between baseplate and bushings, etc., as Ventures.

They are not the end all be all but provide minimal wheelbite, great turn and great stabilty and grind just fine (gotta break them in like vents or aces).
« Last Edit: October 31, 2023, 09:11:28 AM by Xen »

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5081 on: October 31, 2023, 09:53:19 AM »
On Royals - standard kingpin version, my IKP always felt loeser than I liked but turning the nut did little to tighten them. Probably due to the incredibly skft bushings, almost 88a feeling once broken in
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

finecojeffe

• Fine-Co avatar image
« Reply #5082 on: October 31, 2023, 10:03:57 AM »
Thanks again. Placed an order. Went with ikp despite the previous post. I have a plethora of bushings around my house, so I'm sure i'll find something useful, plus I just want that clearance. Sorry to derail the venture thread on this.

In regards to venture, I recently had to switch the stock bottom bushings out of both front and rear because i managed to split both directly in half. Each had a super clean vertical split. All was fine then out of nowhere I went to turn, and the trucks sort of locked up fully leaned over. I was doing a bunch of slappys so I guess that did it, but in a few decades of skating I've never had two perfectly clean vertical split bushings before.

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5083 on: October 31, 2023, 10:47:39 AM »
i like ventures, and always return to them.
i probably skate a little better on thunders.
and now this thread has me wanting get royals.
that’s just fucking great.

Vexed

• Rep: 10
« Reply #5084 on: October 31, 2023, 01:17:50 PM »

Some dude at the park a few weeks ago gave me an almost new set of Thunder 148 and I can’t wait to get them out of my parts box.  I need to stop thinking about trucks

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5085 on: October 31, 2023, 03:18:14 PM »

I'm a broken record, but if you like Ventures but want just a more early turn, Royals are the way. Same goes for Thunders if wheelbite and the baseplate give you trouble....and if you wish indy or Ace were more stable and not so fucking heavy, Royals...or Slappys (which are like Theeve, they have that indy/ace turny-ness but are way more stable and snap back to center better than either - except maybe ACE AF1 low with hard bushings...which feel like heavy ass thunders).
« Last Edit: October 31, 2023, 03:29:28 PM by Xen »

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5086 on: October 31, 2023, 03:32:10 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I'm a broken record, but if you like Ventures but want just a more early turn, Royals are the way. Same goes for Thunders if wheelbite and the baseplate give you trouble....and if you wish indy or Ace were more stable and not so fucking heavy, Royals...or Slappys (which are like Theeve, they have that indy/ace turny-ness but are way more stable and snap back to center better than either (except maybe ACE low with hard bushings...which feel like heavy ass thunders).

for me, turn is way down on the list of attributes. because i’m a kook.

i just want treflips, ollie’s, crookeds, kickflips and some slides. turn is nice, it feels good and all, but the pop
is my number one.

i currently can’t get the royals, because i have gotten myself so turned around on gear i don’t even know what size i’d ride. do i try and mimic the griffin gass setup with his dope 8.5 shape? i just started skating that again on thunders? i just bought some 7.5s….certified.

but yeah i’ll invoice you when i finally buy three pairs of these damn royals

In A Jar

• Rep: 35
    • just say null avatar image
« Reply #5087 on: October 31, 2023, 05:09:49 PM »
I'm a broken record, but if you like Ventures but want just a more early turn, Royals are the way. Same goes for Thunders if wheelbite and the baseplate give you trouble....and if you wish indy or Ace were more stable and not so fucking heavy, Royals...or Slappys (which are like Theeve, they have that indy/ace turny-ness but are way more stable and snap back to center better than either - except maybe ACE AF1 low with hard bushings...which feel like heavy ass thunders).

This is a great description of the new Royals and similar to the experience I have had and why I am skating them now. 

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5088 on: October 31, 2023, 07:21:27 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

I'm a broken record, but if you like Ventures but want just a more early turn, Royals are the way. Same goes for Thunders if wheelbite and the baseplate give you trouble....and if you wish indy or Ace were more stable and not so fucking heavy, Royals...or Slappys (which are like Theeve, they have that indy/ace turny-ness but are way more stable and snap back to center better than either (except maybe ACE low with hard bushings...which feel like heavy ass thunders).
[close]

for me, turn is way down on the list of attributes. because i’m a kook.

i just want treflips, ollie’s, crookeds, kickflips and some slides. turn is nice, it feels good and all, but the pop
is my number one.

i currently can’t get the royals, because i have gotten myself so turned around on gear i don’t even know what size i’d ride. do i try and mimic the griffin gass setup with his dope 8.5 shape? i just started skating that again on thunders? i just bought some 7.5s….certified.

but yeah i’ll invoice you when i finally buy three pairs of these damn royals

Royal pop feel is right up there with Venture/Thunder for me, it's never been an issue I had to think about. Def stable like Ventures in that regard.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #5089 on: October 31, 2023, 08:24:03 PM »
I found the Royal pop feel a bit on the light side and grinder rough like a Venture. I can fucking with bushings if I care about turn but I can't change pop feel. Great tricks, but splitting hairs and Ventures and Thunders narrowly won for me in each scenario. I'd try them again a year on from that experience but am also over caring as much.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1593
« Reply #5090 on: October 31, 2023, 08:42:38 PM »
I’ve spoke about theeve too much to ever skate anything but the main four brands…..

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5091 on: October 31, 2023, 09:10:03 PM »
I’ve spoke about theeve too much to ever skate anything but the main four brands…..
You can still get them via theeve would love some 5.5 tikings but $88+shipping....bit steep

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1593
« Reply #5092 on: October 31, 2023, 10:11:16 PM »
I traded my tih's, I'm sure they are out there.....they are pretty much some lord of the rings shit.....

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5093 on: October 31, 2023, 10:33:17 PM »
Thanks for the madness, now I got to break out the Royal 149s for a spin.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

JugeL

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 304
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #5094 on: October 31, 2023, 11:05:57 PM »
I must say Venture lows are first trucks i don't get truck madness itch. I have yet to find place where they don't work for me and i actually skate much better on them than any other truck.

Also huge one for me was that the bushings don't bust and axles don't bend. Every other truck except Indy i've annihilated at some point.

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 689
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #5095 on: November 01, 2023, 07:52:40 AM »
Anyone prefer the standards or heavier versions of Ventures over the V-Light / V-Hollow? 

I am pretty over hollows / lights ... the difference in weight is less than a bag of chips. I can ollie the exact same amount of boards as well so i dont think that milimeter or whatever i might gain off an ultra light setup is worth it.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5096 on: November 01, 2023, 08:48:33 AM »
Expand Quote
Anyone prefer the standards or heavier versions of Ventures over the V-Light / V-Hollow? 
[close]

I am pretty over hollows / lights ... the difference in weight is less than a bag of chips. I can ollie the exact same amount of boards as well so i dont think that milimeter or whatever i might gain off an ultra light setup is worth it.

I like the grind better because it sounds better =D But will always ride hollows or ti on Indy/Ace.

Banned from the room

« Reply #5097 on: November 01, 2023, 04:36:53 PM »
Standards for me. Having a hollow kingpin was better than having hollow axles I think too.

I only break thunder kingpins. Ive bent hollow axles.
Local kid got those trucks. I can't have my wheels wear funny.

Gave my hollow slappy trucks to another local.

They both rip and are good kids. Well deserved

hiljentaa

• Rep: 319
« Reply #5098 on: November 01, 2023, 05:36:20 PM »
Standards for me. Having a hollow kingpin was better than having hollow axles I think too.

Agreed. I do the forged plates on highs to bring em down a bit, but the weight reduction isn't necessary anywhere IMO

Also, I'd like to gently encourage Xen and all to take your blasphemous Royalchat and gear madness out of this sacred thread, thank you. :)

LebowskisRug

« Reply #5099 on: November 01, 2023, 06:20:17 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I have the cast hollows and I'm not sure that the difference is really noticeable vs normal cast but it's like the icing on the cake of an already good truck and mayyyybe makes them feel a tad less hefty.