Author Topic: Venture 2020  (Read 369234 times)

rikki

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 313
Re: Venture 2020
« Reply #5190 on: November 19, 2023, 08:27:03 AM »
Speaking of cast and forged -- how do you guys find the difference in feel/performance, if any? I know that the forged plates push out the wheelbase slightly more and are a tiny bit lower, but I've no clue if there's a difference to be felt when actually riding the trucks, as I've only been on forged V-Lights (Hi) ever since I woke up.

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1120
« Reply #5191 on: November 19, 2023, 08:53:54 AM »
i have loudly complained about forged baseplates in the past. i have since come to like forged baseplates (i prefer solid axles, both for weight, and the sound/feel).
on lo’s i skate the cast plate, hi’s the forged baseplates.

if anyone has any forged baseplates they are trying to pass along, hmu

Weezil

• Rep: 32
« Reply #5192 on: November 19, 2023, 11:23:57 AM »
When I had them as a kid back in like 2007 they did not turn and felt really heavy, I will not forget that, but again could've been a litany of things like having them cranked, being a little kid, etc. I think I started skating them again back in like 2019 when that bobby part came out and they definitely felt way better than when I was a kid.

allegedly they did change them up when they went from street corner to dlx, but I dont have my original set to compare them personally to a new set.

WelcomeToHell

• Rep: 258
« Reply #5193 on: November 20, 2023, 01:21:27 PM »
Bought a set of Ted Barrow 5.8 V-Cast Hollows in July and really love it every time I step on my setup.
I also feel that Ventures either improved or that I was just too preoccupied by the "they don't turn narrative".

I went with the Skate Jawn 5.6 V-Cast Hollows. Absolutely love them.

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1047
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #5194 on: November 20, 2023, 03:07:14 PM »
When I had them as a kid back in like 2007 they did not turn and felt really heavy, I will not forget that, but again could've been a litany of things like having them cranked, being a little kid, etc. I think I started skating them again back in like 2019 when that bobby part came out and they definitely felt way better than when I was a kid.

allegedly they did change them up when they went from street corner to dlx, but I dont have my original set to compare them personally to a new set.

The main thing I noticed was older bushings were way harder compared to the newer / current ones, which could have had a lot to do with it.

Some places used to list the duro, with Venture bushings being 98 or something in the stock, both purple and red, whereas now they are all a uniform 90 duro from Venture, same as Thunder, Indy, etc.

Any which way, skating some old Ventures were very different to the newer ones, so as you said, DLX changed things with the trucks when they took over distro of them in 2011 or whenever that was.

Swapping bushings between old and new sets did seem to make the old ones a bit better, but it is other things too that have changed.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1593
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #5195 on: November 20, 2023, 10:17:33 PM »
Same thing happened to me in 2007, got some destructos and never looked back……no regrets….

LebowskisRug

« Reply #5196 on: November 20, 2023, 11:49:11 PM »
Bushings back in the day were terrible across the board especially the older Indy bushings. I think we all remember Ventures being tight b/c people ran the lows, which obviously are more prone to wheelbite, and at least when I started skating all the really good local skaters I knew ran their shit tight. The first time I went to Pier 7 I nerded out on peoples setups and I remember how cranked a ton of them were. While not Venture, Rob Welsh had his Indys exploding on the rear truck yet he could still swerve in a line.

The bad turning now is exaggerated a lot. They don't have the same inherent super loose carve, but you can learn to just lean harder and get something workable just fine. If you're skating super tight bowls you're likely either not selecting Ventures to begin with or you're good enough it doesn't matter. Theres a group of older skaters near me that pad up and only skate the bowls at the local parks and their goal is just to hit the tile before the coping and most don't even grind it and they all run fucking cranked Indys on big shaped boards and have a blast so most of us mortals could probably do OK too.

rikki

• Rep: 313
« Reply #5197 on: November 21, 2023, 12:07:21 AM »
Bushings back in the day were terrible across the board especially the older Indy bushings. I think we all remember Ventures being tight b/c people ran the lows, which obviously are more prone to wheelbite, and at least when I started skating all the really good local skaters I knew ran their shit tight. The first time I went to Pier 7 I nerded out on peoples setups and I remember how cranked a ton of them were. While not Venture, Rob Welsh had his Indys exploding on the rear truck yet he could still swerve in a line.

The bad turning now is exaggerated a lot. They don't have the same inherent super loose carve, but you can learn to just lean harder and get something workable just fine. If you're skating super tight bowls you're likely either not selecting Ventures to begin with or you're good enough it doesn't matter. Theres a group of older skaters near me that pad up and only skate the bowls at the local parks and their goal is just to hit the tile before the coping and most don't even grind it and they all run fucking cranked Indys on big shaped boards and have a blast so most of us mortals could probably do OK too.

Yeah, this pretty much. When I run my transition/bowl setup (a bit wider board w/ Indys), I run the trucks pretty tight with blue medium hards and the turn/feeling is not actually that different from Ventures. Hence, I could probably ride Ventures even if I only skated trannies.

iw0

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 506
« Reply #5198 on: November 21, 2023, 12:24:57 PM »
so i have a pair of pre dlx lows and the biggest difference i can tell is the pivot knob(?) is a bit thicker. swapping a newer hanger into the old baseplate there's some wiggle room (kind of expected in an old baseplate/pivotcup though) and swapping the old hanger into a newer baseplate it's super snug. to be fair both my old pairs are dipped/painted so that might have something to do with it as well, but without breaking out calipers i can't tell any other glaring differences between new and old

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5199 on: November 21, 2023, 12:54:01 PM »
i know of two older guys that skated venture 5.2 hi’s for the longest time. after the dlx changeover one started skating indy, the other ace. the guy that went to indy said he didn’t like the ‘new’ venture geo.
i didn’t skate hi’s until the bobby part. so i’m unable to say that they are different.
i did skate venture mids, but that was way way back.

unrelated: the ventures that phil shao skated looked the best out of any truck. ever.

the venture loose truck kit is fun. is anyone running these flush!? i am getting wasted and i’ve got more than a few threads showing.

i’ve been enjoying the pop on forged 5.6 hi’s. been a hi hater. like the forged baseplates.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #5200 on: November 21, 2023, 04:26:36 PM »

the venture loose truck kit is fun. is anyone running these flush!? i am getting wasted and i’ve got more than a few threads showing.

Re Venture "loose bushing kit"

Set them up just to see what they were like on a normal board and it was crazy loose, but then put them on a set of well used trucks, you could say tightened down on a kingpin that had been angle grinded down three or so threads, so they were more on par with a normal bushing running with kingpin nut flush and they actually worked really well at that point.

Some of the very small, light weight kids have them on their boards and they work well for them with a decent amount of turn for their weight on an assortment of trucks, not just Venture, so I am glad I did get a few sets.

Others who had bought them thinking they were going to unlock new looseness were often left disappointed as they didn't tighten them down a whole lot and were so loose those guys found them hard to skate, but at least having the option to tighten down the kingpin nut is better than having the kingpin nut falling off, which I used to see quite a bit with people who wanted the trucks to have more turn but didn't want to cut the bushings or get softer ones.

SupremePizza

• Rep: 59
« Reply #5201 on: November 22, 2023, 07:06:36 AM »

I ran them for the last year flush until recently when they finally broke in and just started to feel uncontrollably loose even with a thread showing. Before that I really enjoyed them. I just put the stock top bushings back in and have been happy with them

Musicaldeath107

• Rep: 122
« Reply #5202 on: November 22, 2023, 09:06:05 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Set them up just to see what they were like on a normal board and it was crazy loose, but then put them on a set of well used trucks, you could say tightened down on a kingpin that had been angle grinded down three or so threads, so they were more on par with a normal bushing running with kingpin nut flush and they actually worked really well at that point.

Some of the very small, light weight kids have them on their boards and they work well for them with a decent amount of turn for their weight on an assortment of trucks, not just Venture, so I am glad I did get a few sets.

Others who had bought them thinking they were going to unlock new looseness were often left disappointed as they didn't tighten them down a whole lot and were so loose those guys found them hard to skate, but at least having the option to tighten down the kingpin nut is better than having the kingpin nut falling off, which I used to see quite a bit with people who wanted the trucks to have more turn but didn't want to cut the bushings or get softer ones.

Kinda based on your comment on the ground down kingpin.  I'm surprised more people haven't bought these for lows, ran them to their normal tightness, and cut the kingpin down for more clearance.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5203 on: November 22, 2023, 03:30:47 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Kinda based on your comment on the ground down kingpin.  I'm surprised more people haven't bought these for lows, ran them to their normal tightness, and cut the kingpin down for more clearance.

Yes I have probably talked too much about it, but anyone either having trucks that need more kingpin clearance, or have grinded the hanger down so the kingpin is now a problem, using an angle grinder to take the kingpin down and using the low tops really make things work way better.

Same as when we used to have to cut bushings down when we were trying to make things work as a normal bushing would just not fit in a well used truck, when there were no options that came like this back in the day.

Any which way, it is something that does work well enough, but I also think some people are not so keen to make a permanent change to something like kingins, which then make it difficult to fit any kind of standard bushings, which is totally understandable too.

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1980
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #5204 on: November 26, 2023, 05:58:35 PM »
Had a bad experience with the Krux 92a medium hard bushings, gave them up after a sessions and went back to stock purples.

Been riding tighter trucks for a more consistent pop and thought I'd give the Krux bushings a shot since they are supposed to be medium hard. Despite being 92a they were incredibly mushy even after breaking in. They turn but the moment I pop for a kickflip they mush out and I'm ghost popping, tanked my kickflip consistency by 90%. I had to be extremely precise with the pop to avoid whiffing, reminded me of riding Ace trucks.

The rest of the setup was the same, right down to the hardware. Swapped back to stock purples midway through the Sunday session and I was back at home, kickflips and 360 flips back on point.

Anything Krux is cursed, stock Venture bushings for life!
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5205 on: November 26, 2023, 06:09:12 PM »
skated some cast 6.1s today, swapped in some old maroon bushings, as i’m pretty over the loose trucks kit.
got tons of wheelbite on a hot-rod setup (8.38 shop board, they claimed bbs, had just one dimple between the front bolt holes, looks like bbs concave).
makes no sense, but the set-up was awesome. didn’t skate amazing, but had more fun than i’ve had in awhile

Xen

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1032
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #5206 on: November 27, 2023, 11:19:34 AM »
Venture selling 'loose trucks' now, must have missed this? Standard cast with the loose truck bushings kit stock.

https://shop.ccs.com/collections/venture/products/venture-loose-skateboard-trucks-polished-5-8

« Last Edit: November 27, 2023, 12:22:44 PM by Xen »

LebowskisRug

« Reply #5207 on: November 27, 2023, 11:39:57 AM »
Is the kingpin any lower? It sorta looks like it in the second pic but Ventures already have such good clearance.

Vexed

• Rep: 10
« Reply #5208 on: November 27, 2023, 11:42:48 AM »

Maybe there will be a ‘medium truck conversion kit’ aka aftermarket stock purps… ::)

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5209 on: November 27, 2023, 11:53:24 AM »

Maybe there will be a ‘medium truck conversion kit’ aka aftermarket stock purps… ::)

fuck i wish

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5210 on: November 27, 2023, 12:47:10 PM »
For those who want to ride tight trucks but don’t want to admit to it, we now offer the XM, extra medium.  Wanna crop dust a nollie heel and save your nose?  Extra medium!

In A Jar

• Rep: 35
    • just say null avatar image
« Reply #5211 on: November 27, 2023, 01:23:00 PM »
Venture high kingpin clearance is already amazing.  Would much rather see 5.6/5.8 lows than this. 

iw0

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 506
« Reply #5212 on: November 27, 2023, 02:18:17 PM »
Would much rather see 5.6/5.8 lows than this.

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5213 on: November 27, 2023, 02:46:35 PM »
For those who want to ride tight trucks but don’t want to admit to it, we now offer the XM, extra medium.  Wanna crop dust a nollie heel and save your nose?  Extra medium!

extra medium is a great name.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5214 on: November 27, 2023, 04:13:06 PM »
Venture selling 'loose trucks' now, must have missed this? Standard cast with the loose truck bushings kit stock.

https://shop.ccs.com/collections/venture/products/venture-loose-skateboard-trucks-polished-5-8

Is the kingpin any lower? It sorta looks like it in the second pic but Ventures already have such good clearance.

Same trucks, just with the green low top bushings in them.

I saw the catalog info about them, which made sense, but as far as shops now having to order more of whatever the same truck is just to get some standard and some with the loose kit bushings could be a bit much for some places.

Of course then there could also be the people who buy them and don't realise, maybe just wanted green bushings and then as per some people on here, complain about them being too loose.

Either way, not a worry to me.

I could definitely see the use in the low trucks, then taking down the kingpin for more clearance, as per the older Indy bushings in their low trucks with shorter kingpins, but I don't think that would be worthwhile.

I do think it would be a good idea to bring out the regular bushings in aftermarket packs as well, seeing as Supercush seems to be out of stock everywhere, or not being made any more.

There might be a few people swapping those green bushings out pretty quickly too.

From all the people changing out bushings over the years, I have a lot of the stock bushings, more so from Indy, but also a good number from Venture too, but it is almost silly how some shops automatically upsell customers to Bones bushings, without the person even trying the stock bushings, like one shop I know round here...

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5215 on: November 27, 2023, 04:49:29 PM »
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

hiljentaa

• Rep: 319
« Reply #5216 on: November 27, 2023, 05:23:23 PM »
5.6 lows will never happen, just like the return of Radial Slims, but I appreciate y'all keepin the fight alive. 🙏
« Last Edit: November 27, 2023, 05:43:20 PM by hiljentaa »

Xen

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1032
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #5217 on: November 27, 2023, 05:46:52 PM »
5.6 lows will never happen, just like the return of Radial Slims, but I appreciate y'all keepin the fight alive. 🙏

Man, what a combo that would be.

WTF DLX

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5218 on: November 27, 2023, 06:25:20 PM »
Seems like when the demand went up, other truck companies put more in the market place, DLX stayed put….not a bad move….they did release the cast hollows which everyone was clamouring for…

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5219 on: November 27, 2023, 07:02:51 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Man, what a combo that would be.

WTF DLX

5.6 / 5.8 LO + Radial Slims would be a beautiful combo, that would end that side of my madness for sure!

(for at least 6 months)
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m