Author Topic: Tall Pals (6'+): gear recommendations and reflections  (Read 17817 times)

Womb Service

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 5
Re: Tall Pals (6'+): gear recommendations and reflections
« Reply #60 on: February 06, 2020, 05:00:03 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
6'3 here
9 (us) shoes
150 lbs
skating since 2011-ish

I buy my tees large or xl and wear a long sleeve under, a flannel or hoodie to hide the noodle arms.
Pants are usually a couple sizes too big with a belt (I wear 36 but I'm a 30 waist.)

I ride anything 8.38 with a mellow concave. recently it's been polar, krooked and alltimers. I really enjoy the short wheelbase polars. 149 Indys, want to make the switch to ace but haven't bit the bullet.
[close]

have you tried the 8.38 with Indy 144's? wondering if that work out ok
[close]

I personally never have bought the 144's because I occasionally will buy an 8.5 - but rarely. Also I bought my most recent pair of indys before the 144's came out. My friend got a pair though and i recall him saying they seemed too small i think they even pooked it. Not sure though as a lot of my friends bitch about everything.
[close]
144's are 8.25". Lil bit of magic carpet ride on 8.38" but not too bad. 1/4" wider deck is were it starts getting weird/annoying for me.

I don't like 8.5" trucks on 8.38" deck cuz seeing the axle nuts drives me crazy, too distracting for me. They're just soooo shiny! And I usually have to loosen my trucks if deck is narrower than trucks. If deck is wider I can usually deal with the looser feeling trucks. I don't like touching my trucks..

If your thinking 8.375-8.625" range I'd go 149's. 144's if your thinking of trying 8.25" or maybe 8.125".

Currently riding 8.38 + 144 Indy's and I like it! Not getting too much of a magic carpet feeling unless setting up an 8.5.

I personally don't like seeing the axle nuts either when looking down so I prefer my boards just the slightest size up from the truck width.

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 857
  • like….? brunch
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #61 on: February 06, 2020, 05:55:22 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
consider the navy anti hero eagle decks. 8.5 31.8 14.25, good shape.
[close]
too narrow for my feet. im looking at the brown bomber or polar 1992 shape for the 14.25 wb + comfortable width. theres a couple of baker 9.0s but after stepping on a 9 pop today without any taper, it just feels like too much space by the tail. have to get used to it after riding this P8 lol
[close]
How about 8.75" pop, 14.25" wb? I've found a few of those.
[close]
which ones are you suggesting? its either that or i go a little bit wider with the brown bomber shape or get another p8

I dunno, I'm size 13 too and 8.5 more than enough space, especially if you learn to be on your toes and control your board with your forefoot. I guess if you struggle to even ride an 8.5 then maybe, but otherwise I wouldn't knock it until giving it a go.
[close]

im not at the skill level to be that precise with my front foot. the p8 has been keeping me on my toes cause its 8.5 at the tail. i think i mentioned it before but it feels like a glorified 8.5 with more room to flick. if anything i can practice forefoot control on it until its natural and then give a pop 8.5 a fair chance.
[close]

quote is acting goofy. I gave up trying to fix it

I haven't measured any of the boards or even seen any..
I'm going by company websites, not shops. Except for Baker mega's
If you guys have measured these please give feedback
I think ppl have said Alien is 14.25" wb
Fwiw, there's also a new Primitive 8.6 that might have 14" wb

8.75" - 14.25" wb
Alien/Habitat 32.25" - are these always BBS wood?
Business and Co 32" or 32.32"? might be 14.5" wb?
Heroin Childress 32"
Fixer 32.625" - Clutch wood?
Baker mega? Not sure on the wb
Primitive? New size for them, haven't seen wb info yet

8.88"
Toy Machine 32.25", 7.25" n, 7" t, 14.25" wb
https://shop.tumyeto.com/skate/decks/toy-machine-vice-monster-8-88-logo-deck.html
Might be a typo? Page also says 8.38

9"
Polar 32.25", 7" n, 6.75" t, 14.5" wb
Baker mega? 32.25", 14.25" wb?
[close]

Alien is, Habitat still does some PS I believe. But AFAIK That shape is always BBS.
[close]
bummed cause all these decks have just one spec that is off for me.
8.75x32ish 14.25WB 6.5-6.625 tail are the only dims i need, surprised i cant find one

That's a shorter tail for a deck that size/width. I think the Baker mega's had shorter tails, going by shop info, but I don't remember for sure which had 14.25" wb.
6.75-6.875" tail isn't too much bigger. I like it for tail/blunt slides but pop doesn't work for everyone.
Hmm, shorter tails.. off the top of my head I can only think of 8.375" stuff, maybe 8.5". I'll backburner it an see if my subconscious comes up with anything.
[/quote]
6.75+ tails dont pop well for me right now, the board doesnt stick to my feet nor come up the way i like. dealbreaking flaw at this stage. 6.5 and 6.625 are where i get the crisp pop that i like. the antihero brown bomber is close to perfect (8.86/32/14.25/6.625 tail). the AH lusso shape's dims also look good (8.75/32/14.2/6.5 tail).

i do find some wider decks have these sort of dims for some reason. baker has a pop thats 9.0/32/14.25/6.5 tail but i cant find these specs a quarter of an inch narrower. the jk industries dream girl is 9.5/31.75/14.25/6.5 tail. not trying to pay more than $60 for a deck. baker has one of those mind bend shapes that is 9.5/31.375/14.25/6.5 tail. too short and the shape is too funky but it fits the point.

polar has the 1992 thats 9.25/32/14.25/6.625 tail. tapers to 8.75 in the tail which is a plus to me. might get one for a second setup but im taking a break from 9+ as the main. what shops do you see that put out good info on dims other than tactics, socal, SPoT?
« Last Edit: February 06, 2020, 05:58:16 AM by off »
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

jay_nev

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 306
« Reply #62 on: February 06, 2020, 06:36:10 AM »
Image result for madness meme

satan

• Rep: 38
« Reply #63 on: February 06, 2020, 07:03:11 AM »
https://www.nhsfunfactory.com/880in-x-3195in-roskopp-face-tile-santa-cruz-skateboard-deck
Popsicle
LENGTH 31.95 in
WIDTH 8.80 in
WHEEL BASE 14.25 in
NOSE LENGTH 6.90 in
TAIL LENGTH 6.60 in

https://www.nhsfunfactory.com/skateboard-decks?Sort_By=newest&Per_Page=-1&s_width=9.00%20in%20and%20Over
Also a 9" pop with 14.25" wb
And some new shapes
« Last Edit: February 06, 2020, 07:07:10 AM by satan »

TurdyBird

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 154
  • <3
« Reply #64 on: February 06, 2020, 08:49:18 AM »
I'm a tad over 6' with 11.5 feet, and come in at about 170.
WB and length of board have become my new madness. At some point, skate 32" became too cramped, and 14.25 seemed too unstable. It's now that 32.25 still might not be enough board, and 14.5 or lower is what I want in WB.

At this point, I'm thinking of getting that Quasi shape thats 8.5 x 33, but seems silly because I just got a wknd that I really do enjoy riding for the most part.

Pretty wild to me, reading guys skating under 32"
The chillest1

munchbox

• SLAP Pal
  • like….? brunch
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #65 on: February 06, 2020, 11:30:52 AM »
WB and length of board have become my new madness. At some point, skate 32" became too cramped, and 14.25 seemed too unstable. It's now that 32.25 still might not be enough board, and 14.5 or lower is what I want in WB.

At this point, I'm thinking of getting that Quasi shape thats 8.5 x 33, but seems silly because I just got a wknd that I really do enjoy riding for the most part.

i took some time to think about it and realized that dimensions dictate length. did the math using the listed dimensions of decks i liked/hated and found my optimal everything.

Nose: 6.875-7.0
Tail: 6.5-6.625
WB: 14.25-14.4
the length of the baseplate holes (how to properly explain this?): measured about 2.125 each, 4.25 combined

i tried testing this formula by using it to find the length of some of my current decks. calculated the listed nose/tail/wb and on average, the calculation was 3 tenths longer than what i measured by hand. this math will always be flawed since there isnt even a standard way to measure a skateboard but it gives a general idea and is fairly accurate imo. if you want a longer deck ask yourself this: do i want a bigger nose, tail, or wb? fingers of flat arent ever listed as a measurement, let alone a proper one, so i keep that one out.

i know the formula isnt perfect, but as soon as i got a shorter board that was tight to what i like, my skating improved drastically. everything is light, agile, and makes my 8.8" feel like a much smaller skateboard. everyone who has ridden my setup gets confused when i tell them the width and they compare it to their narrower deck lol. nowadays with my sweet spot cemented, i blame myself not my setup and it been helping a lot :D
« Last Edit: February 06, 2020, 11:34:12 AM by off »
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

sammyz

• Rep: 82
« Reply #66 on: February 06, 2020, 06:23:25 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
6'3 here
9 (us) shoes
150 lbs
skating since 2011-ish

I buy my tees large or xl and wear a long sleeve under, a flannel or hoodie to hide the noodle arms.
Pants are usually a couple sizes too big with a belt (I wear 36 but I'm a 30 waist.)

I ride anything 8.38 with a mellow concave. recently it's been polar, krooked and alltimers. I really enjoy the short wheelbase polars. 149 Indys, want to make the switch to ace but haven't bit the bullet.
[close]

have you tried the 8.38 with Indy 144's? wondering if that work out ok
[close]

I personally never have bought the 144's because I occasionally will buy an 8.5 - but rarely. Also I bought my most recent pair of indys before the 144's came out. My friend got a pair though and i recall him saying they seemed too small i think they even pooked it. Not sure though as a lot of my friends bitch about everything.
[close]
144's are 8.25". Lil bit of magic carpet ride on 8.38" but not too bad. 1/4" wider deck is were it starts getting weird/annoying for me.

I don't like 8.5" trucks on 8.38" deck cuz seeing the axle nuts drives me crazy, too distracting for me. They're just soooo shiny! And I usually have to loosen my trucks if deck is narrower than trucks. If deck is wider I can usually deal with the looser feeling trucks. I don't like touching my trucks..

If your thinking 8.375-8.625" range I'd go 149's. 144's if your thinking of trying 8.25" or maybe 8.125".
[close]

Currently riding 8.38 + 144 Indy's and I like it! Not getting too much of a magic carpet feeling unless setting up an 8.5.

I personally don't like seeing the axle nuts either when looking down so I prefer my boards just the slightest size up from the truck width.

thanks for the reply guys...yeah I don't mind trucks being a little smaller than the deck. I guess it also depends on the deck and if it does/doesn't taper at the trucks. deck width is usually measured at the widest point right? In my case if I'm going with the full shapes like Real SE...so I think i'll just have to try it...I have a set of 149's too so worse case scenario I swap it out.

jay_nev

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #67 on: February 06, 2020, 06:51:36 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]
i took some time to think about it and realized that dimensions dictate length. did the math using the listed dimensions of decks i liked/hated and found my optimal everything.

Nose: 6.875-7.0
Tail: 6.5-6.625
WB: 14.25-14.4
the length of the baseplate holes (how to properly explain this?): measured about 2.125 each, 4.25 combined

i tried testing this formula by using it to find the length of some of my current decks. calculated the listed nose/tail/wb and on average, the calculation was 3 tenths longer than what i measured by hand. this math will always be flawed since there isnt even a standard way to measure a skateboard but it gives a general idea and is fairly accurate imo. if you want a longer deck ask yourself this: do i want a bigger nose, tail, or wb? fingers of flat arent ever listed as a measurement, let alone a proper one, so i keep that one out.

i know the formula isnt perfect, but as soon as i got a shorter board that was tight to what i like, my skating improved drastically. everything is light, agile, and makes my 8.8" feel like a much smaller skateboard. everyone who has ridden my setup gets confused when i tell them the width and they compare it to their narrower deck lol. nowadays with my sweet spot cemented, i blame myself not my setup and it been helping a lot :D
when talking about tail length and wheelbase re: pop. Have you compared fingers of flat? Going to feel a lot different.

rukes

• Rep: 214
  • Yabba dabba doo
« Reply #68 on: February 10, 2020, 02:08:36 AM »
6'3
14 size shoes
200 lbs
skated heaps 98-04
back into it 19-now

I like an 8.5" board, 149 trucks. Have had two anti-heros that i've really like the shape of. Even though i have big feet, i dont find an 8.5" too small or anything. Back in the day i was riding 7.75s and 8's, so 8.5' feels big to me.

I find shoes the most annoying. Cant walk into a store and try anything on, its nike/adidas online only. I had janoskis but they were average and look like clown shoes in 14's. Recently got a pair of Tyshawns on sale, and they are so good. Now that they've broken in they are very comfortable, and skate nice.
Is it true?  Or did you read it on the slap message board?

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #69 on: February 14, 2020, 02:24:17 PM »
@thom how do you like the Doubles 90s shape/does the 14.25 w/ Aces fuck you up?

jay_nev

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #70 on: February 14, 2020, 03:34:19 PM »
Always keeping my eye out for pant recommendations.
874 in 36/32 have been decent but kind of thin for winter. And the Volcom frickin regular straight 17 in 36 are decent, too. Maybe prefer the relaxed fit over their regular.
Considered the vans chino's everyone talks about w the satin lining. Those good for winter too?

weedgod94

• Rep: 0
« Reply #71 on: February 15, 2020, 01:12:03 PM »
Edit: I'm whack, just gonna forget that I typed all that shit up
« Last Edit: February 15, 2020, 03:21:24 PM by weedgod94 »

munchbox

• SLAP Pal
  • like….? brunch
« Reply #72 on: February 15, 2020, 03:40:23 PM »
Edit: I'm whack, just gonna forget that I typed all that shit up
dont go on a fools errand with that one. it wasnt gonna happen

animalflesh

« Reply #73 on: February 16, 2020, 03:10:45 PM »

Hey yeah it was a little weird the first day but it didn’t take too long to get used to...

I’m trying to break out of my long WB comfort zone cause I feel I can do more creative stuff and skate weirder obstacles with a smaller WB

Once I could handle the dane with the aces this felt pretty natural and easy to go back to

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #74 on: February 16, 2020, 04:53:08 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Hey yeah it was a little weird the first day but it didn’t take too long to get used to...

I’m trying to break out of my long WB comfort zone cause I feel I can do more creative stuff and skate weirder obstacles with a smaller WB

Once I could handle the dane with the aces this felt pretty natural and easy to go back to

Word, thanks. Just got a Brown Bomber and I want to try that doubles shape at some point if I can handle the shorter WB.

munchbox

• SLAP Pal
  • like….? brunch
« Reply #75 on: February 16, 2020, 07:03:27 PM »
gear reccomendation: 9.18x32.55 14.8 wb cardiel shape
i have a really weird relationship with this shape. i really like how it looks more than its effectiveness for my kind of skating. learned my transition basics on this deck, but anything street related was rough. the wb was not doing me any favors with anything off the ground in hindsight. cant recommend this long ass wb (with thunders nonetheless) if you are trying to do anything tech. nothing was consistent, but it was kinda like wearing ankle weights and helped build strength even though i wasnt landing shit. was great for hillbombs though and stuff of that sort. the nose is pointy and took some time to get used to but wasnt hard to adjust to. tail didnt give me the snappy pop that i like, but my manuals were the best on this deck. sadly, by the time i redrilled this deck to 14.38, the tail was dead. the all round riding experience is great on this shape and i still keep it around as a cruiser. much more suited for a tranny skater or if you like to hurl yourself at gaps.

reflection:
anyone else tired of the constant stares you get from just standing up? i feel like i always have to wear shades in public (day n nite) cause i dont like making eye contact with people who are just staring and dont say anything. yes, i know im a towering light post. no, i cant change that. im an interesting person and can talk for hours when you give me the chance, but people just like to stare silently and that bums me out daily. at least with my shades i dont have to have a staring contest every time i go outside

chris.

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 184
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #76 on: February 16, 2020, 07:19:21 PM »
I just smile, nod and keep it moving. If they keep gawking then fuck ‘em.

munchbox

• SLAP Pal
  • like….? brunch
« Reply #77 on: February 16, 2020, 07:24:26 PM »
I just smile, nod and keep it moving. If they keep gawking then fuck ‘em.
yeah i dont have much practice with that facial expression, not much of a smiler. as weird as that sounds

Technique

« Reply #78 on: February 18, 2020, 11:26:00 AM »
Whatup
Height: 6’
Shoe size: 8 (I envy you large-footed bastards)
Current setup: Quasi 8.5, some Ventures, spitfire f4 56 I think
Skating since: 2011? I think. I’m young.
Favorite tall pro: does it have to be a pro? I’m thoroughly enjoying Vincent Huhta’s skating. I guess Gustav Tonnesen is tall too though, so I’ll go with him.

I think my height contributes to the fact that I like longer boards tbh. Also, it feels like the timing on most tricks is super different for me because my 6’ is mostly leg and not a lot of upper body.
Someone already said that here, but yeah, pants 2 sizes up + belt is perfect. Give me some shoe suggestions.

jay_nev

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #79 on: February 18, 2020, 11:47:28 AM »
How tall is Gustav? I do enjoy watching him as well.

Technique

« Reply #80 on: February 18, 2020, 11:59:17 AM »
Not sure, but probably over 6’ 4” for sure. Most things he skates seem to be below waist for him somehow.

McBrandt

• Rep: -13
« Reply #81 on: February 18, 2020, 01:54:37 PM »
Height: 6' 1.5"
Weight: 167lbs
Shoe: 10.5 - 11
Skating since: 1987

I can't comment much on board dims these days. From 2001 till 2011 I pretty much went back and forth from 8.25" and a 9.375" Frankie Hill Ear. I've never been that technical of a skater so the extra width made most of my trick selection easier. On popsicles I think I liked concave and a 14.5" wb, had to be at least 32" long. The one bummer I had about that Frankie hill board was it was only 31.75".

In terms of pants, I found Uniqlo the best bet for the last 8 years or so, since all their pants were 36" inseam, and i usually did 30 or 31 waist in the slim fit chino. They've since changed them and they're a bit too tight now, as well as the new fashion rage in skating looking like it's 1991/92 which I'm not down with at my age. I did recently pick up a pair of their relaxed fit chinos that are a tad baggier and those fit pretty good, if you're not looking for the super baggy stuff.

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 516
« Reply #82 on: February 18, 2020, 04:45:02 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Not sure, but probably over 6’ 4” for sure. Most things he skates seem to be below waist for him somehow.

definitely nowhere near 6 4

munchbox

• SLAP Pal
  • like….? brunch
« Reply #83 on: February 18, 2020, 07:13:50 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

definitely nowhere near 6 4
my guess is 6'2

5teve.0h

• Rep: 24
« Reply #84 on: February 18, 2020, 09:47:22 PM »
Height: 6'2
Weight: 190lbs
Shoe size: 13
Skating since: 1993 maybe 1994
Current setups:
AH Grosso Old Fart II 8.75*32.86 wb 14.75
Indy Hollow 159, Bones hard bushings, Bones Big Balls, Spitfire 56mm 99a Classics

AH Green Giant Shaped 9.56* 33 wb 15.25
Indy 215s, Bones hard bushings, Spitfire 80HD Charger Conical 58mm, Sunday 6 Balls

Favorite tall(er) pro: GT, Figgy

Willie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 304
« Reply #85 on: February 19, 2020, 08:56:45 AM »
I recently started skating with a guy who is probably around 6’2”, 200 pounds, mid forties - who rips.

I was comparing our setups and I realized he was skating sub-8” Indys (129?) on an 8.5 deck.

Now I’m questioning everything.

jay_nev

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #86 on: February 19, 2020, 09:04:42 AM »
RVCA Weekender pants have been solid. Got that stretch waist like the polar surf but with a drawcord. That makes em feel a little too sweatpant-like for work but whatever i wore em today.

munchbox

• SLAP Pal
  • like….? brunch
« Reply #87 on: February 21, 2020, 01:14:53 AM »
tall pals, whats the shortest deck length you would ride?

sammyz

• Rep: 82
« Reply #88 on: February 21, 2020, 04:18:05 AM »

Nothing under 32...prefer 32.2 and up

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #89 on: February 21, 2020, 08:46:21 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Nothing under 32...prefer 32.2 and up

Prefer 32"+ but I've skated stuff as short as 31.25". It just depends on the shape/WB.