Author Topic: Tall Pals (6'+): gear recommendations and reflections  (Read 17829 times)

FrozenIndustries

Tall Pals (6'+): gear recommendations and reflections
« on: January 31, 2020, 01:43:36 PM »
A few people have mentioned wanting a catch-all thread for the 6'+ skater, and I know that finding shit that works can be kind of mad in an activity that kind of skews short. It'd be cool to share some gear recommendations and just reflect.

Height: 6'2.5"
Shoe size: 11.5
Skating since: 1996
Current setup(s):
Sausage 90s football (9.125"x32.625", 14.75"WB), 159s, 55 F4 classics
DOA standard concave (8.125"x31.75, 14.25"WB), 139s, 51mm F4 classics
Favorite tall(er) pro: BA

Regarding my setups, I always thought I needed to have a super long wheelbase but I've found recently that I learn new tricks way more easily on something shorter. That being said, once I take them to a longer WB I can generally do them faster and with more stability.

I also got to say, as a taller person I think finding pants that fit right is fucking hard. Like, too baggy=sails in the wind and too skinny=looking like a stork. I'm mad envious of shorter dudes who can rock baggy pants. I've been a big fan of the Levi's skate work pants when I can find them on sale.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2020, 01:46:47 PM by FrozenIndustries »

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 517
Re: Tall Pals (6'+): gear recommendations and reflections
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2020, 04:43:01 PM »
Height: 6 5 no shoes
Shoe size: 13
Setup: 8.25, 14.25wb, 32inch length (actually a hair under 32 I think). Venture 5.8 titaniums, 52mm 99a SML V-Cuts
          7.5 zip zinger, Indy 139s on Ace baseplates, 56mm OJ keyframes.
Skating since: 2011
Fav tall pro: Sean Payne, Welsh

Regarding my setups, I always thought I needed to have a super long wheelbase but I've found recently that I learn new tricks way more easily on something shorter. That being said, once I take them to a longer WB I can generally do them faster and with more stability.

This was me 100%, and with some rare exceptions, it is so true. I went as far as 8.75x32.56x14.75 boards for a brief while but realised it was super clunky and too much effort. Its comfortable, but I think if you skate street, unless you're seriously struggling to land and roll away from anything then you're probably better off with something a little more compact.

I mostly skate flat, ledges and flatbars mostly so downsizing from what was usually 8.5x32.25x14.5 to shorter, slightly narrower setups whilst getting Ventures that maintain my effective wheelbase has made learning new tricks easier (though I did have to adjust my pop/timing for some tricks). Though if I skated more banks, gaps and transition more often I'd probably scale my setup up a tiny bit back to about what I had before. I sometimes do miss the additional stability and reduced likelihood of slipping out when doing some less consistent tricks going faster though. Also have to make sure I don't buy decks that have tapered nose and tails now because if they're not at least somewhat full then my foot drags too much on nose/tailslides.

Having a setup that feels way lighter also means you can skate longer without getting tired. I think the skinnier board has made me change up my technique when setting up for certain ledge tricks, it makes me have to set up on my toes more and drag ollies with just my forefoot as opposed to my whole foot and it seems to help my control/precision a lot for certain tricks (especially switch backside grinds/slides in particular for whatever reason).

As far as pants, XL Polar surf pants, 36x34 Polar 93 jeans amongst some other thrifted denim and RL Khakis have been doing me pretty good. The DC relaxed tapered denim in 36x34 or even 34x34 is pretty good too. True waist is a 34 ish but sizing up and running a belt definitely results in a better overall relaxed fit.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2020, 04:53:56 PM by tzhangdox »

weedgod94

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 0
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2020, 04:46:18 PM »
I'm over 6' and wear size 12
I don't mind wide decks but my preferred size is 8.38", I hate long decks though. Under 32" with a 14.25 wb is cash.
I usually just buy pants 2 waist sizes too big in a loose fit then wear a belt.

FS-OverKOOK

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 45
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2020, 05:42:47 PM »
I don't mind wide decks but my preferred size is 8.38", I hate long decks though. Under 32" with a 14.25 wb is cash.
6'
size 11
Isle 8.38x32 14.25wb
Thunder 148 titanium
53/99 lock-ins
I usually skate in dickies 874 flex fit 38x32 -  I sweat alot so I usually stay away from jeans.

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2020, 06:30:30 PM »

That is so wild to me. I can get down with a super short WB, but I love a long deck with lots of flat and consider a longer board more essential than a longer WB.

chris.

• Rep: 184
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2020, 07:13:43 PM »
Height: 6’5”
Shoes: 11.5
Skated since: 2000
Set Ups:
DOA 8.5x32x14.5 and Ace 55
Baker Tfunk 9.1x31.9x13.75 and Venture 5.8 (a hodgepodge of stuff lying around that actually feels great)

So I started skating again about two years ago. Skated several Crail G033 (8.5x32x14.25) with Thunders that first year. I love that shape, but I wasn’t crazy about Thunders. Sized up to an Anti Hero Blue Meanie with Ace 55s and I liked the longer WB/length a lot initially but as others have said, it all just got to be too much and made me get lazy. Been on this DOA shape for a while now with 55s and it’s very nice, but ever since I bought some Venture’s I’m eager to skate them full time. I have some 8.25’s with 14.25 WB lined up next to skate with Ventures. Again to echo others, the way a smaller board makes you get up on your toes is nice.

animalflesh

« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2020, 07:26:01 PM »
6’1
220 lbs
Skating since 2000

I’ve got:
-skull skates 9.25, ace 55, 1/4 riser, spit 60mm f4
-doubles Ltd 9.1, ace 55, 1/8 riser, spit 58mm f4
-Dane 1, ace 66, 1/8 riser, 55mm f4

Skate usually in ctas or blazer gt low

I always wear stretch black jeans every day or sweatpants when I skate and that works for me

I do a bunch of stomach rolls and leg lifts before you step on the board to loosen the torso up and get crouched easier

UrbanSombrero

• Rep: 4
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2020, 07:54:57 PM »
6'2 ish
Around 200 lbs
Shoe size 10.5
Skating since 1999
Current Setup: AWS 8 x 31.6 x 14.25 Venture Lo 5.25 50mm F4 Classics

I've been riding a ton of different stuff the last year or so but it's nice to see most of the taller people running the 14.25 WB. I'm finding this with the Ventures puts me at about 17.5 true WB and everything works. If I go much longer than this 360 flips go to shit.

I'm a board breaker, a deck will last me about 2 weeks and if the WB is too short it will last about 3 days to a week if I'm lucky. I love a 14 inch wheelbase deck but I'm pretty much guaranteed to break the tail off.

I've been riding mostly 8 inch boards lately and I like boards as close to 32 in length as I can get. I have had a couple 32.25 boards and it felt too long.

As for pants I like the Volcom stretch chinos the inseam is perfect I get them in a 34x34. The footprint chinos are also really nice 34x34 the baggy ones just don't put them in the dryer.

LordManHammer

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -323
  • (0_o) whatever dog you probably suck at it
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2020, 04:28:47 AM »
I’m 6’2” I wear 11&half 12 depending on brand.

I prefer 8.25” to 8.38” widest is 9.5” smallest is an 8.1”.

I like a wider truck by a hair or two.

I get Dickies 34” 36”
Dueces Bitch's

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 863
  • like….? brunch
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2020, 04:48:38 AM »
height: 6'5"
shoe size: 13
Current setup(s):
polar P8 shape (8.8"x31.875", 14.4"WB), 151 hollow lights, 52 now 49 F4 radial slim
antihero cardiel (9.18"x32.55, 14.38"WB), venture 6.1, 55mm mini hot juice
i ride 1/8 risers depending on how the deck feels without em
Favorite tall(er) pro: ishod? i think hes 6'2" or 3"?

my feet basically destined my switch to big boards. heres the lame and embarrassing part. i was the kid who watched x games and fuel tv like it was my dirty secret cause the local by my childhood house wasnt built until three years ago, and the kids my age rode bikes. pretty terrible environment to pick up skating and stick with it in hindsight, but anything "gnarly" was all my sorry ass preteenage heart wanted to do. got a 7.75 kryptonics for my 12th bday and something about it turned me off it, but i didnt know what exactly. before you ask, no, my mother didn't love me, i was an abused child. i learned how to ride+the basics, but me wearing size 11 or 12 at the time combined with the narrow walmart complete just wasnt working. when i snapped it, the shitty experience with the shitty board didnt make me want to replace it, deadass fuck walmart for that one. not too long after that, student athlete responsibilities came up and strictly controlled me and my time. i met my first friend who skated in high school and he let me ride his board when he wasnt practicing. it really bummed me out cause skating again was like seeing the only ex you still had something for, but i had to tell myself i was fully invested in my teams and to stay healthy. what really bums me out is that i waited to skate for basically no good reason. focused on sports, got good enough to get some colleges looking at me, went to one of those colleges, realized im not truly in love with the sport, ended up played for fun, found out what i want in life wont be achieved thru school, built up my resume, dropped out after 2.5 years to chase my dreams, got into my dream industry as a professional, unlawfully kicked out of my house without warning, living out of suitcases, 40k in debt due to broken promises, the angering truth about my family surfacing, the highs have been euphoric, and the lows try to break me. luckily i got back on board with my first "real"(no pun intended) setup right before shit got serious. skateboarding is really therapeutic and has kept me alive and out of prison in these less than ideal times. meet some good friends and people were more than willing to give me knowledge when they could. really wasted my time not getting back earlier to say the least. i will be posting a lil something about the all setups i owned cause compared to yall who got decades of experience, i only started skating the other day.

gear reccomendation: 8.38x31.9 14.38 wb ishod twin tail
i really loved this board but for more of the fact it was my first. i thought things would be awkward getting used to skating again, but it was almost like picking up where i left off. i feel like once you do any of the boardsports, the transition to another is way easier than people who ride for the first time. picked up this board because i wanted to be ishod so bad. we are both tall, black, lanky, and i watched his footage on repeat. i thought with a combination of that and me riding the exact same board he rides would magically make me better. still laugh at it to this day. terrible mindset for me in hindsight cause this setup felt so wrong i desperately searched to find something right.

it didnt take me long to remember that this was the hardest "sport" i "played" but it was obvious the setup wasnt for me. when it was time to practice ollies again, my feet hung over the rails like i was on a 2x4. my feet made it look like i was on a toy and my mind cant get over that mental block. cant take my skating serious on a toy, goes all the way back to my kryptonics days. the twin tail was really fucking weird. good for having two tails to razor down and not having to turn the board around, but the board looked shorter, and that was coming from me who hadnt skated in what felt like ages. also with the amount of reverts and powerslides i was doing for no good reason plus the fact that i sucked, the siamese shape didnt mean shit. round it out with heavy ass 144s that i overpaid for ($55 for standards, didnt know any better) and 54 mm spit classic formulas, i couldnt pop it for shit. monster truck setup. granted i didnt have the technique, but if you gave it to me now id flat out dislike it. wb was the only positive since i ride in that range today. learned how to hold manuals really well at this time. ended up losing this setup while high with the same high school friend who skated in central park. ill say it. weed positively does nothing good for my skating, except that one time. hope whoever found it on those big ass rocks liked it better than i did. very niche deck, super specific dims, nothing standard about this deck at all. i would have liked it better with thunders and smaller wheels but i didnt have the amount of shit i have now to work with. my next setup was the complete oppositie of this one. id recommend if you havent tried a TT and know the rest of your setup well.

reflection:
hope you dont mind if i just talk my shit a bit in these things, i try to hold on to my setups/decks until i cant no more and each one is like a different moment in my life. also, im really stoked to see the amount of obelisks that regularly post on slap, like our own little sub community cause it actually is lonely up here (6+). even though i cant physically see yall, i feel like we see eye to eye. i only have one close friend whos tall enough to talk about tall people problems with and as far as i know there isnt a thread like this anywhere else, so i hope its aight to use my reflection alternatively as well. like a bootleg support group

would like to think my fellow giants can really feel this but height really is a blessing and a curse. people look at you, towering over them and wonder how you could ever have any issues, let alone emotional ones. this something most guys deal with in general, but my tall brethren know its always: cool, calm, collected, stone faced every time. its expected. the few moments of public weakness ive displayed have always seem to confuse people. either people actually care about me breaking down or are just huddling around to see wilt chamberlain cry, very hard to tell. everyone comes to me all the time with their problems and as listening person with a respected opinion, i take on their issues. whenever i just have a terrible day, week, month and just have to reset what has built up inside, people just look at me like a crazy mess. i just dont get the right to feel and receive the same response, which is kinda shit. who can relate? who else has a tall people problem to add?

i know im not the say on what happens in this thread but id be pretty stoked if we could just talk about tall people shit here. slap is the only forum i feel my anonymity is worth more than a single sentence
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

FrostedPancake

• Rep: 0
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2020, 05:30:13 AM »
6'3 and size 13. I'd love something with the footspace of a 9 that still flips like an 8 but ride 8.25 cuz they are easy to find and match my trucks

Thinking about sizing up to 8.5-8.8 this spring but wonder if it's worth messing around with this kinda stuff so late in the game (30 years old)

jay_nev

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 306
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2020, 06:02:08 AM »
Great thread. Like reading about everyone’s height and set ups.

6’4” 200lbs
Size 12-13

Dane1 9.75-31.375-14.125/169 std/54mm oj keyframe
Enjoi 8.5-32.25-14.25/tensor atg/F4 conical 54mm

Haven’t ridden the 8.5” as much, don’t really have the best spots around me and it’s winter. Prefer the keyframes for cruising around low key and still being able to pop. And wanted to size up for stability and thinking the security of not wanting to eat shit if I had a bigger base.

Skated 98-05 or so hard to remember, teenage years, never progressed to tre flips or anything. No parks around us and really had to skate a manny pad and a parking curb. Sucked. Got back on a 6 months ago.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2020, 07:20:59 AM by jay_nev »

drewsmahgoos

• Rep: 6
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2020, 07:02:51 AM »
6'4" here. Constantly changing my wheelbase and deck setup

As for pants,  i started buying expensive, raw denim. Most overpriced raw denim has super long inseams that you're expected to get hemmed but I just don't hem them. Now I have a bunch of jeans with a 36in inseam and a 32 waist. which is super nice for my skinny tall ass.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2020, 07:06:44 AM by drewsmahgoos »

animalflesh

« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2020, 08:17:49 AM »
Oh favorite tall pro

Ben Schroeder

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2020, 03:49:10 PM »
Yo Off, stay up and don't get down on yourself for your time off the board. I had a couple points in my life when I wasn't skating much (or at all) for various reasons. It is really easy to think about it in negative terms, but from realizing how much you missed it a constant reminder that every day you get to roll is a blessing.

jay_nev

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2020, 04:39:54 PM »
Just jumped on my 8.5” deck w the tensor atg just in my basement stationary but was flipping it so much quicker and snappier than my Dane 1. Pretty obvious but it was less effort for sure and more consistent I guess the nose/flick. So many variables tho could’ve been harder wheels. These Nike Sb/ Jordan 1 low the flick is so nice.

Got my rethinking the 9”+ lifestyle.. not minding the Indy 169 though. but my local shop has a 8.8” I’m thinking of now. But those venture 6.1 would match up well with it ... it never ends.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2020, 05:11:53 PM by jay_nev »

50mm

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 286
  • Take a chance, Columbus did!
« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2020, 05:50:15 PM »
For a couple months I thought I liked deep concave. After skating a ton recently though I'm sure I don't like it. I think it's especially bad with vulcanized soles. Just too sticky. My board actually flicks slower than when I had an 8.5 that was ultra mellow shaped. I'm 6'2" and I feel too locked into my board with too much concave.

munchbox

• SLAP Pal
  • like….? brunch
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2020, 07:10:54 PM »
Yo Off, stay up and don't get down on yourself for your time off the board. I had a couple points in my life when I wasn't skating much (or at all) for various reasons. It is really easy to think about it in negative terms, but from realizing how much you missed it a constant reminder that every day you get to roll is a blessing.
yeah thats a nice way to put it. weather isnt completely terrible but i dont do well in the cold with basically no body fat. once that cold hits me, i feel it in my bones and cant warm up for hours. might be some sort of condition. plus hands and feet so far from the heart get me cold quick. have some beat up gloves i skate with but really need to invest in some good socks. ill have to put that on my list

i need to start taking the short window in the day where its not complete dogshit and just stay out there as long as i can. getting broke off on the cold ass ground aint fun but im getting annoyed not skating just to wait for a decent day. its winter in the northeast, not sure why i think its gonna happen.
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

munchbox

• SLAP Pal
  • like….? brunch
« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2020, 07:40:07 PM »
Just jumped on my 8.5” deck w the tensor atg just in my basement stationary but was flipping it so much quicker and snappier than my Dane 1. Pretty obvious but it was less effort for sure and more consistent I guess the nose/flick. So many variables tho could’ve been harder wheels. These Nike Sb/ Jordan 1 low the flick is so nice.

Got my rethinking the 9”+ lifestyle.. not minding the Indy 169 though. but my local shop has a 8.8” I’m thinking of now. But those venture 6.1 would match up well with it ... it never ends.
the 8.5 has balanced dims for its size and its a popsicle. the dane shape is pretty funky and the nose is unconventionally short. i all the decks that size that i have kickflipped always have a floaty rotation and are hard to over flip. 8.5 with tensors will always be more controlled

do you have the 5.75s? im in bed with the stability of 8.75 trucks at the moment. i moved up to 151 from 149 and they feel night and day better to land on. feels like it gives more space and weigh the same as my 149s did. didnt like 8.5 trucks cause i was magic carpeting the shit out of them with 9.0 decks. it felt weird and unstable for me, and i recently sold those trucks.

tensor would be the only 8.5 truck id want to try cause lightness is the only thing id give up for stability at the moment (titanium 151 hopeful). this p8 that im on has really worked in my head that i can actually ride smaller decks. its listed at 8.8 but the taper at the tail really makes it a glorified 8.5 with more landing room imo. on the fence if i should try 5.75s with decks like this in the 8.75-8.8 range. never thought that size was heavy, but could really a difference on the setups agility. do you notice a drop in stability when sizing down trucks? have you tried your tensors on bigger decks?

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 517
« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2020, 07:54:00 PM »
Not completely related but I sized down from 8.5 to 8 inch trucks on an 8.25 for about two weeks and it kinda fucked me up. Definitely had some benefits but overall threw me off a bit. I'd say going from 8.75 trucks to 8.5 would be fine though especially if you don't go over 8.75 in board width.

jay_nev

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #20 on: February 01, 2020, 07:58:51 PM »
The nose on the p8 looks nice and chubby. I like that and the tail shape. Kinda wish it didn’t taper as much and was a bit longer. 14.5” wb is good

Have not tried the 8.5” axle atg on a wider board. Rather not even mess w a hot rod scenario. Just on an 8.5” deck now. But certainly curious about the 151/6.1 size. Been fixing for the ventures but I’ve pumped the brakes.

munchbox

• SLAP Pal
  • like….? brunch
« Reply #21 on: February 01, 2020, 09:26:24 PM »
The nose on the p8 looks nice and chubby. I like that and the tail shape. Kinda wish it didn’t taper as much and was a bit longer. 14.5” wb is good

Have not tried the 8.5” axle atg on a wider board. Rather not even mess w a hot rod scenario. Just on an 8.5” deck now. But certainly curious about the 151/6.1 size. Been fixing for the ventures but I’ve pumped the brakes.
p8 has been a funny experience for me cause i wouldn't be interested in an 8.75 pop before this and i definitely won't ever buy and 8.5 pop. p8 is nimbler than any other big board i tried yet doesnt feel narrow with the taper. wb is closer to 14.38. the tail forces me to stay on my toes which i dont get on big popsicles that feel like super full decks. this sort of deck (party in the front, biz in the back) seems like my shit right now. stoked to try the 1991 and 1992 shapes that are in this format. a popsicle has to have perfect dims now for me to even be bothered these days.

i have the 6.1s but they got relegated to my cruiser quickly, my thunders blew them out of the water. i genuinely believe all the high praise for venture isnt associated with these trucks cause i just wasnt feeling it or seeing the results people were talking about. the people that give ventures high praise here are generally riding 5.0-5.8

these are utility trucks and did me no favors on my regular wheelbase decks
CONS
they made everything sluggish as fuck. 50 gram weight increase wasnt worth it. the "light in the front" feel wasnt there and anything rotational needed more effort than necessary. i definitely think 6.1 geometry would work better a if the truck was bit lower, but thats just a hunch. didnt bother with risers for this reason. the axle to axle wb being too long ruined a ton of shit, i could literally feel it. manual point is so precise and i have to basically lean back to the point of falling to hold manuals. dealbreaker for me. pop feel was too heavy, but probably weight related not geometry. had to change my technique to something alien which didnt feel worth my time. turn more linear than thunder, didnt like it. these sucked on small transition due to the lowered turn response. was running them a bit looser than stock

PROS
more stable landings due to axles being further. good if you are going in a straight line. these are great for bombing hills on my cruiser and can handle new york traffic once used to the turn. could probably get them to work well if i ride a 14.0 wb deck, but thats too drastic of a change just to get trucks that i dont favor to work

chris.

• Rep: 184
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #22 on: February 02, 2020, 04:38:11 AM »
I’m a significantly better skater now than I ever was in my teens because I can finally control this lanky mess of a body. One thing I haven’t smoothed out yet is my flat ground ollies. They have always been high but very jerky and abrupt, I really hate it.  I realized yesterday that it’s all mental. Tall brain tricks me, they feel like I’m not getting any height so I over do it - all the motions are exaggerated. I can’t get my brain to not act like I’m in a high ollie contest. Then yesterday I realized I just just need to treat every flat ground ollie like I’m ollieing into a grind. That instantly changed everything.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2020, 04:40:12 AM by chris. »

roba

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 762
« Reply #23 on: February 02, 2020, 05:26:34 AM »
i'm 6'1, been skating since 2011
shoe size 9
8.5 x 32 x 14.38/44s/random ass bones wheels that are like 45mm bc i'm broke
fav tall skaters are reynolds, ishod, ba

i can't fuck with bigger wheelbases, maybe i could handle a 14.5 with aces but 14.25-38 works for me the best. back when i skated thunders i had one board with a 14.5 wheelbase and it felt awful, idk how you guys do it.
I'm ok with theft. It happens to me all the time.
I steal too

I’m rich and smart

R.I.P Tate

roba

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 762
« Reply #24 on: February 02, 2020, 05:29:30 AM »

I also got to say, as a taller person I think finding pants that fit right is fucking hard. Like, too baggy=sails in the wind and too skinny=looking like a stork. I'm mad envious of shorter dudes who can rock baggy pants.

sorry for double posting but this is the realest shit i've seen on this message board
I'm ok with theft. It happens to me all the time.
I steal too

I’m rich and smart

R.I.P Tate

S.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 65
    • Fotos avatar image
« Reply #25 on: February 02, 2020, 05:39:10 AM »
6 foot height (tall for a skater, not tall for the average German)
size 9 shoes
185 pounds

For the last twenty years I have skated decks in the 8.0 to 8.25 range. It has been getting a bit more difficult to find longer boards with that width. Anti-hero and sometimes Real still have good 8.1 shapes that are 32 inches long.

Any other suggestions for good 8.1 decks that are 32 inches long? I like medium to low concaves.

munchbox

• SLAP Pal
  • like….? brunch
« Reply #26 on: February 02, 2020, 06:29:05 AM »
i'm 6'1, been skating since 2011
shoe size 9
8.5 x 32 x 14.38/44s/random ass bones wheels that are like 45mm bc i'm broke
fav tall skaters are reynolds, ishod, ba

i can't fuck with bigger wheelbases, maybe i could handle a 14.5 with aces but 14.25-38 works for me the best. back when i skated thunders i had one board with a 14.5 wheelbase and it felt awful, idk how you guys do it.
my wb limit is 14.25-14.4. a few decks ive rode (polars) have been listed at 14.5 but were 14.4s when i measured. this fuck up forces me to find the accurate wb before i buy. i own a 14.5 and its scary how much a difference that 0.1 makes.

0.1 of an inch is equal to 2.54 mm, think about what that can do to your truck height :o
« Last Edit: February 02, 2020, 06:43:33 AM by off »

LordManHammer

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -323
  • (0_o) whatever dog you probably suck at it
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #27 on: February 02, 2020, 06:57:06 AM »
I'm that duplicitous that I fuck with anything that is within 8" to 8.5" anything bigger it feels like a dumptruck I know it might be your cup of tea but not mine.

I look back at the "old school" boards from yesteryear and those decks kinda sucked. I mean they were rad for the graphics and the learning experience but holy shit they remind me of bricks on a a giant goldfish. Whenever freestyle decks were a thing I rolled with them for having the closest modern popsicle shape, so when they finally made street minis albeit 89' to early 90's I'd rock them.

I think when it comes to being taller and heftier Indy's are the way to go I like a 54mm or 55mm wheel with a 144 to 149 equivalent. I want to try a Winkowski but is it the same as a old school shape or is it a modern take?
Dueces Bitch's

jay_nev

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #28 on: February 02, 2020, 07:22:55 AM »

I look back at the "old school" boards from yesteryear and those decks kinda sucked. I mean they were rad for the graphics and the learning experience but holy shit they remind me of bricks on a a giant goldfish. Whenever freestyle decks were a thing I rolled with them for having the closest modern popsicle shape, so when they finally made street minis albeit 89' to early 90's I'd rock them.
funny you mention that was watching some ccs adidas matchbreak shoe review where like 15 skaters tried em at an indoor park and a few heads had old school decks. Just looked sloppier and more clumsy and tougher to navigate and even tailslide on transition, whatever.

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1109
« Reply #29 on: February 02, 2020, 10:39:32 AM »
Not completely related but I sized down from 8.5 to 8 inch trucks on an 8.25 for about two weeks and it kinda fucked me up. Definitely had some benefits but overall threw me off a bit. I'd say going from 8.75 trucks to 8.5 would be fine though especially if you don't go over 8.75 in board width.

8” trucks on 8.25 my fave big board setup. I’m way shorter than you tho. But yes, the overhang just works better, for me