Author Topic: Corona Virus. What's going on where you live?  (Read 93856 times)

slippy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 87
Re: Corona Virus. What's going on where you live?
« Reply #540 on: March 20, 2020, 03:44:03 PM »
My better half lost his job on Tuesday but I don't necessarily think it was due to the coronavirus situation. What's gross is that I DO think this situation afforded his company the opportunity they've been looking for to can him. That's my take on it anyways. He was there for 23 years and they tossed him in the middle of all of this mess. It's been a rough week, for sure.
I'm sorry to hear about everyone's suffering. We're in uncharted territory and the people in charge are complete fuckwits. Not saying I'd do any better, but then I'm not running a fucking country.

I'm super sorry to hear that, my condolences.  After 23 years you'd expect some fucking support... Hang in there, the both of you best you can and vent it out here!
people who refuse to use apple products can blow my fucking stupid hog

GAY

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 3416
  • Those that SLAP, can't.
« Reply #541 on: March 20, 2020, 03:51:46 PM »
Thanks slippy. Yeah it's pretty upsetting and I'm just trying to be supportive. It's weird to think that we're living through something that will be studied possibly 100's of years from now. Hoping it's studied as an example of humanity overcoming rather than succumbing.

lady fanny

• Rep: -52
« Reply #542 on: March 20, 2020, 03:55:12 PM »
sorry to hear Mr GAY. he will bounce back and everyone is getting laid off now too, temporarily anyways. shit happens how it needs to. my job got pulled out from under me, waiting on word to go back but no idea when. what kind of business did he give 23 years too if i might ask?
if it's personal, no biggie.
Lady Fanny from Omaha

Betaphenylethylalamine

• Trade Count: (-2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -140
« Reply #543 on: March 20, 2020, 04:45:55 PM »
Sorry to hear that GAY and sorry to hear about all the slap heads in cali.

Fucked up times indeed.

We are still in self quarantine and it's not easy mentally even with all the supplies we need.
Gentleman ninja warlock

Coastal Fever

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 538
« Reply #544 on: March 20, 2020, 05:16:47 PM »
My work just closed for two days while an employee got tested, it came back negative, so we’re back to work on Monday.  I feel like it’s only a matter of time before we close up indefinitely.  I also live with a flight attendant and senior care clinician who are still being told to come in, recipe for disaster imo but none of us are in positions to say no to our jobs.  Just taking it one day at a time and trying not to stress until I have a good reason to.  Went for a 20km walk yesterday which was pretty chill.

Peter Zagreus

• Rep: 85
« Reply #545 on: March 20, 2020, 05:39:24 PM »
My sympathies go out to all of you who are struggling financially. Like some on earlier pages of the thread, I'm more scared of the economic - and by extension - social fallout of this thing than the virus itself.

I'm a student in a well funded PhD program, so I'm set as long as I keep my work in order. We've gone online for the rest of the semester, however, and it's hard to give a shit about my projects from my remote position and with this shit unfolding (I'm in the humanities, doing research in 19th century, British literature).

The selfish silver lining is that I've got a good excuse to be a degenerate shut-in. My girlfriend and I have gone on a couple of nice walks in the post-apocalyptic cityscape, and it's been...kind of nice. Scared for the future, though. I'm increasingly feeling like we're on the precipice of some world-historical shit. That people are bringing up G.W.F. Hegel on a skateboard forum is probably a clear enough indicator that we are...

TheLurper

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 660
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #546 on: March 20, 2020, 05:55:35 PM »
Things are weird and normal in Quebec. Stores are closed and the streets are relatively empty. But the grocery stores and pharmacies have pretty much everything they should have.

I took the subway today. It was empty compared to usual but still relatively busy. I don't think I'll take the subway again for a bit. Waiting on the weather to be warm enough to ride my bike around.

The economic aspect of this is interesting/sad. Trader Joe's is killing it and offering their employees bonuses and other service places are getting fucked.

I have few friends that do valet. They're fucked because their employer pretends that they are independent contractors, which likely means no unemployment benefits.

I just need to get a stove, fridge, and internet in the house. I've been doing salads and getting take out, but cooking a meal would be nice.

I don't foresee the sky falling but it is going to be a rough ride for people in service jobs who probably go without healthcare and sick days (I don't think everyone is going to get sick but it would suck to worry about not being able to afford to go to the doctor and/or not having the ability to take time off).

It is amazing how visible class lines are right now. Many of us in professional class jobs are working from home or getting paid to be at home and many other people are told "good luck." 
« Last Edit: March 20, 2020, 06:03:23 PM by TheLurper »

Quote from: ChuckRamone
I love when people bring up world hunger. It makes everything meaningless.
"That guy is double parked."
"Who cares? There are people starving to death! Besides, how does that affect you? Does it lessen the joy of parking?

VHS ERA

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 211
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #547 on: March 20, 2020, 06:19:39 PM »
This week my boss sat me down and started laying me off then started feeling sad and guilty and backpedaled because we’re cool and I bust my ass. I talked my way into reminding him that I am “essential” and he’s tryna keep me but he’s not promising being able to pay me past next week. So I’m in limbo but assuming I’m out a job.

We closed our 6 retails cafes, all those baristas and managers are furloughed, I’m continuing wholesale coffee as long as possible but who’s buying when the restaurants are closed. Got my resume lookin good and started applying but who the fuck will be hiring right now.

EdLawndale

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1145
    • My Wife avatar image
« Reply #548 on: March 20, 2020, 06:33:32 PM »
I also live with a flight attendant and senior care clinician who are still being told to come in

😬Go early to the supermarket after they've restocked for beaucoup purell
"Was just about to say, wtf is up with this EdLawndale guy?"

EdLawndale

• SLAP Pal
    • My Wife avatar image
« Reply #549 on: March 20, 2020, 06:54:57 PM »
I live in SoCal. On the night that Chet Haze's father said he had COVID-19 & the NBA suspended its season, I went to Vons on a whim & bought over $700 worth of non-perishables (@ that point, the shelves were still quite plentiful). I've since secured $200 worth of gourmet cat food and litter for my cat, Nasir. I also stopped smoking cigarettes, which I used socially. My employer gave me the option of working from home since Monday. I came in Monday but have worked from home since. Now my office has closed entirely due to the mandatory stay-at-home. I've stayed inside mostly, cleaning, listening to rap music, practicing with my nunchucks, really only leaving my apt to pick up a meal or grab some essentials like clorox wipes or vitamins; I only found the vitamins.  I've walked around with a cloth ninja head mask (like you wear in the winter cold) & cloth gloves since Tuesday. Ppl looked at me strange at first; they seem unphazed now. I haven't really interacted with a real person except a cashier since Monday. I've worn the same clothes and today was also the first day I took a shower since Monday. I've watched "Contagion", "The Stand" & "Billy Madison" to pass the time. So life hasn't been too upended for me yet, same ol same ol...

But I take this seriously.  I'm gonna do my best not to get infected and to not infect anyone else. I'm good for probably about 2 or 3 months on my own, only needing a small thing here and there, if that's what it requires.

And to think 2 weeks ago I bought a pair of DC OG Williams & spent $450 on front row tix to see the Weeknd in August.  Now, I'm scheming on how to get Cambell's soups in mass quanities for around $1.25 each
« Last Edit: March 20, 2020, 07:02:59 PM by EdLawndale »

fulltechnicalskizzy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1935
« Reply #550 on: March 20, 2020, 07:14:37 PM »
I stockpiled $600 of old Heath graphic wall boards so I should be good looking at those for the next few months at least. Getting kind of hungry.

ungzilla

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 988
« Reply #551 on: March 20, 2020, 07:41:24 PM »
that's fucked up hoarding critical heath boards they could be using at the hospital

lady fanny

• Rep: -52
« Reply #552 on: March 20, 2020, 08:10:35 PM »
Heath is not a privilege, that's a basic human right. Heath belongs to all of us. those boards need to be redistributed.
Lady Fanny from Omaha

GAY

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 3416
  • Those that SLAP, can't.
« Reply #553 on: March 20, 2020, 10:12:45 PM »
sorry to hear Mr GAY. he will bounce back and everyone is getting laid off now too, temporarily anyways. shit happens how it needs to. my job got pulled out from under me, waiting on word to go back but no idea when. what kind of business did he give 23 years too if i might ask?
if it's personal, no biggie.

Thanks man! And I'm sorry to hear you're on the ropes with your job. He worked for a company that develops and gives tests that require licenses. So like the realtor license, funeral director license,  therapists...that kind of thing. They've closed every testing center around the world for now. Bad time to take my hair dresser's exam.

drewsmahgoos

• Rep: 6
« Reply #554 on: March 21, 2020, 01:40:21 AM »
I've been in for a week now. My girlfriend and I are going to the grocery store when it opens today at 6. Going to do another round of shopping. While I have a month or more of food, there are a bunch of things that have slipped my mind and whatnot. I hope everyone out there can get what they need. Make a ton of chili and freeze it. Thaw it out and throw it on top of rice. It's a great cheap meal that can go so far.

I'm in PA. If anyone gives a shit I'll report back on the status of the store when I go.

burtreynolds.jpeg

« Reply #555 on: March 21, 2020, 06:37:58 AM »
I've only gone out for walks, skating by myself and the grocery store...my chest is feeling better though. And my cough isn't as bad. I'm very fortunate to be able to work from home. Not sure how long that's going to be possible though.

Also, kinda of concerned about the fact that I'm getting booted off of my parent's health insurance come May. Wondering if I should wait it out and wait for state health insurance in case I'm out of a job. Or should I just apply through the marketplace? Anyone got any advice on this?

Also, anyone on here that's still out working and making the rounds so that our society can still operate, I love all of ya'll. Thank you.

johnes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -237
« Reply #556 on: March 21, 2020, 06:59:09 AM »
All the other 10 people who have my job title got put on unpaid leave for an unknown amount of time.
I’m safe for now, because management knows I’m the best at what I do here. But I still feel like I could get cut any day now.
I’m a fat Siamese cat.

LemThurdy

• Rep: -15
« Reply #557 on: March 21, 2020, 07:26:30 AM »
My wife still having to work she has a salon and apparently getting your hair done is essential in these times. I’m working at home but they cut me to 5 hrs/wk so I feel the can is next.

I heard from a reliable source that tomorrow they may be shutting a lot of shit down maybe grab some food or shit on your way home today

psuckadelic

• Rep: -5
« Reply #558 on: March 21, 2020, 07:33:04 AM »
I live in SoCal. On the night that Chet Haze's father said he had COVID-19 & the NBA suspended its season, I went to Vons on a whim & bought over $700 worth of non-perishables (@ that point, the shelves were still quite plentiful). I've since secured $200 worth of gourmet cat food and litter for my cat, Nasir. I also stopped smoking cigarettes, which I used socially. My employer gave me the option of working from home since Monday. I came in Monday but have worked from home since. Now my office has closed entirely due to the mandatory stay-at-home. I've stayed inside mostly, cleaning, listening to rap music, practicing with my nunchucks, really only leaving my apt to pick up a meal or grab some essentials like clorox wipes or vitamins; I only found the vitamins.  I've walked around with a cloth ninja head mask (like you wear in the winter cold) & cloth gloves since Tuesday. Ppl looked at me strange at first; they seem unphazed now. I haven't really interacted with a real person except a cashier since Monday. I've worn the same clothes and today was also the first day I took a shower since Monday. I've watched "Contagion", "The Stand" & "Billy Madison" to pass the time. So life hasn't been too upended for me yet, same ol same ol...

But I take this seriously.  I'm gonna do my best not to get infected and to not infect anyone else. I'm good for probably about 2 or 3 months on my own, only needing a small thing here and there, if that's what it requires.

And to think 2 weeks ago I bought a pair of DC OG Williams & spent $450 on front row tix to see the Weeknd in August.  Now, I'm scheming on how to get Cambell's soups in mass quanities for around $1.25 each

That was a very detailed account.....but how the hell can you spend $450 on concert tickets?! Are you insane?! If you plan on throwing away more money I'll take some.
SK8 & DEPLOY

Yushin Okami

• Rep: 115
« Reply #559 on: March 21, 2020, 08:25:19 AM »
I've been remote for a little over two weeks now. As it stands, it's more or less business as normal but I can't imagine that will continue. In a simplified sense, I'm in client services and if my clients can't offer their services, well... why would they need me?
We all know you have two sexy anthropomorphic wolves who buttfuck each other on the bottom of your board.

straight fucking edge

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -173
« Reply #560 on: March 21, 2020, 08:40:57 AM »
I am currently at work now and it seems that I will continue to go to work through this whole thing at least until we absolutely can't.  I can't work remotely, but they have everyone here that can (~6000 people) doing so.  they did finally offer 40 hours of "pandemic leave" to those of us who can not work remotely which we can use at any time, but I don't think I am going to
i don't want to link to the channel because is promotes athiesm.

EdLawndale

• SLAP Pal
    • My Wife avatar image
« Reply #561 on: March 21, 2020, 09:31:34 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

That was a very detailed account.....but how the hell can you spend $450 on concert tickets?! Are you insane?! If you plan on throwing away more money I'll take some.

I'd never done anything like that before. I was splurging and treating myself.  At least I can get a refund....

johnes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -237
« Reply #562 on: March 21, 2020, 09:40:37 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

I'd never done anything like that before. I was splurging and treating myself.  At least I can get a refund....
Come on he’s just a human who wants to have an experience.
There are millions of other things that would be insane to spend that money on.
There’s nothing wrong with dropping cash on a potentially great experience. Concerts Where you really enjoy the artist are like the most ultimate living in the moment experience. At least to me they are.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2020, 09:45:21 AM by johnes »
I’m a fat Siamese cat.

Dad_Brains

• Rep: 12
« Reply #563 on: March 21, 2020, 09:54:18 AM »
Currently stuck in Lisbon, Portugal and trying to get flights back home to New Zealand. We had flights back through the UK and then the states for later in the year but not looking like we’ll use those as we can’t bring them forward due to not being able to get into the states and the airlines not flying the NZ route again until June. Waiting to see if the NZ government will put on flights like they did for people out of china when this first kicked off but not looking likely. The kids are going nuts having to stay inside most of the time. Plus we’ve got tenants in our house at home who have a lease until July so unless they want to leave early we don’t have a place to go home to. We also have to self isolate for two weeks once home so can’t stay with family or friends. Good times.... Ah we’ll get through it. I will say Portugal is pretty on to it compared to the UK and USA where people are only just realising it’s a major event and some are still at the pubs.

silvertone_spacemachine

• Rep: 63
« Reply #564 on: March 21, 2020, 10:38:29 AM »
My better half lost his job on Tuesday but I don't necessarily think it was due to the coronavirus situation. What's gross is that I DO think this situation afforded his company the opportunity they've been looking for to can him. That's my take on it anyways. He was there for 23 years and they tossed him in the middle of all of this mess. It's been a rough week, for sure.
I'm sorry to hear about everyone's suffering. We're in uncharted territory and the people in charge are complete fuckwits. Not saying I'd do any better, but then I'm not running a fucking country.

aw fuck, sorry to hear that. Same thing happened to me, job was just looking for any excuse. I hope you guys rebound when everything is said and done. Sending my love.

PA is total trash. I live in one of the most densely elderly populated regions of the country, the county shutting down the local casino has caused utter chaos amongst those in the sunset years of their lives. Businesses are either not taking it seriously or just not closing (local florist on TV bitching about how they "weren't warned" about having to shut down seems to be the norm.) Lots of younger people not taking this shit seriously AT ALL, actually got invited to a "covid party" yesterday. It's all very surreal, sad and tough to navigate. I hope everyone, along with their family and friends, are safe, sound and healthy. <3

legion

• Rep: 32
« Reply #565 on: March 21, 2020, 10:42:46 AM »
Anyone else get a lil creeped out by Gov. Newsom's press conference? Too many shiteating grins for me. When I see that my mind automatically thinks lies and bullshit. And then a big smile when talking about the National Guard just coming in to help with food distribution. Convenient, they already be in the LA area when the rioting starts.
I don't think LA will last a month. Maybe 2-3 weeks if the potshops stay open.

And I take it back..
Remember Fear the Walking Dead?

EdLawndale

• SLAP Pal
    • My Wife avatar image
« Reply #566 on: March 21, 2020, 12:34:19 PM »
Lies and bullshit about what points exactly?

Anyways, I'm capable of shutting down shop and holing up for 3 months.  I even have a boxing bag in here.

TheLurper

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 660
« Reply #567 on: March 21, 2020, 12:35:22 PM »
Anyone else get a lil creeped out by Gov. Newsom's press conference? Too many shiteating grins for me. When I see that my mind automatically thinks lies and bullshit. And then a big smile when talking about the National Guard just coming in to help with food distribution. Convenient, they already be in the LA area when the rioting starts.

And I take it back..
This kind of fear mongering is bullshit.

Quote from: ChuckRamone
I love when people bring up world hunger. It makes everything meaningless.
"That guy is double parked."
"Who cares? There are people starving to death! Besides, how does that affect you? Does it lessen the joy of parking?

EdLawndale

• SLAP Pal
    • My Wife avatar image
« Reply #568 on: March 21, 2020, 12:37:32 PM »
My boxing bag is legit too, gym quality.

legion

• Rep: 32
« Reply #569 on: March 21, 2020, 01:18:15 PM »
Expand Quote

And I take it back..
[close]
This kind of fear mongering is bullshit.
Really? Did you feel comforted by that press conference? Did you watch it?
When I see shiteating grins while ppl are talking a automatically assume they are saying lies. Dive into the psychology of it and he could just be trying to put on a reassuring face, or that's just how he lies. Maybe I'm tainted cuz I know too many ppl who do the shiteating grin thing while spouting bs.