Author Topic: Corona Virus. What's going on where you live?  (Read 93435 times)

Nick..

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 10
Re: Corona Virus. What's going on where you live?
« Reply #930 on: April 06, 2020, 09:48:14 PM »
I applied for the CERB yesterday and I should be expecting 2K within the next three business days so that's something, I guess. A friend of a friend got an $880 ticket for exercising on the playground though. All parks, basketball courts, soccer fields, and playgrounds have been fenced off here.

Charlie Hustle

« Reply #931 on: April 08, 2020, 01:15:17 AM »
Just stress. All of the social distancing measures we were doing at work are going out the window because the wrong fucking person went to the stakeholder meeting. She’s literally the only one who wants to relax them, when the rest of us want them increased. So now we’re fucked because this old bitch doesn’t want to lose $1.10 an hour for hazard pay until this blows over. Everyone is pissed, she’s oblivious, and now we’re super exposed.

TheLurper

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 653
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #932 on: April 08, 2020, 10:24:49 AM »
We are shut down until May 5th

Quote from: ChuckRamone
I love when people bring up world hunger. It makes everything meaningless.
"That guy is double parked."
"Who cares? There are people starving to death! Besides, how does that affect you? Does it lessen the joy of parking?

ungzilla

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 989
« Reply #933 on: April 08, 2020, 12:11:43 PM »
curious to hear how people in severely affected areas are doing? Spain and Italy, etc. now that shit is real in the states the news cycle has no room to spare with regards to updating on how y'all are doing.

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1430
  • daddy bought you a pony
« Reply #934 on: April 08, 2020, 12:15:07 PM »
EDIT: my response was actually pointless.

here's some statistics: http://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus

« Last Edit: April 08, 2020, 01:24:12 PM by Frank »

Justis

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 243
  • illinoying
« Reply #935 on: April 08, 2020, 01:10:21 PM »
Hey y’all I Havnt really been skating anything besides around the block , the thing about it surviving on surfaces has le not wanting to skate or film with anyone out of fear of infecting them or myself. Since we literally rub up against shit for fun I don’t trust it. Am I over reacting ?

Hairy Ballsagna

• Rep: 32
« Reply #936 on: April 08, 2020, 02:23:51 PM »
curious to hear how people in severely affected areas are doing? Spain and Italy, etc. now that shit is real in the states the news cycle has no room to spare with regards to updating on how y'all are doing.

Ya, I'm curious about this too. It's pretty hard to get world news at the moment. It always bugs me that bbc.co.uk redirects to BBC.com and you get the American version.

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1430
  • daddy bought you a pony
« Reply #937 on: April 08, 2020, 02:50:24 PM »
from what i've been reading, it's slowing down in italy and also spain, it also slowed down considerably in germany, where we have some more than 100k infected, but we also did the most tests in europe, almost one million got tested here. france is getting a lot worse right now, they are finding alot more casese now that they test if i understood right.

don't know about lockdown laws in each country but italy is pretty strict, our state of bavaria is super strict as well as they are most affected over here. germany will stay in lockdown i think through all of april so far and probably longer.

life here continues pretty normal, there's a good amount of people outside since it's gotten sunny the last few days. more masks though and some places where you will only be let in with them. shopping carts are mandatory in some grocery store so everyone keeps distance. some stores don't take cash payments. everything apart from grocery stores and pharmacies is still closed. some cafes and bakerys found a way to operate as small grocerystores, but cafes aren't allowed to serve actual coffee. they try to get by with selling beans. shops tell people to order online and make curbside pickups since they are not allowed to open.

in terms of freedom of movement i wasn't outside a lot tbh but there's no controls, i can still walk or bike wherever i want. they basically only approach when more than two people hang out together. i haven't even seen a bigger amount of cops than usual outside. my sleeping pattern is all fucked now though, i am pretty much up all night and then pass out around noon to wake up during dawn.

legion

« Reply #938 on: April 08, 2020, 03:00:13 PM »
Man. I hope 50mm is doing ok, he's been MIA.
FYI about testing centers. Probably obvious by now but that's where an outbreak has started. Sucks when there's one near you.
Everyone is masked up in public now except for random homeless ppl, crackheads, junkies, prostitutes.. In my suburban neighborhood most ppl still walk around unmasked, a few older folks wear them. Been noticing neighbors also getting almost daily visits from fam that live at another house, pretty sure it's babysitting but just goes to show the imperfect solutions? Idk where I'm going with that..
By me they've recently closed off parking lots at parks, before it was just playground/exercise equipment roped off. They didn't close off walk-in entrances so they might still be open. I think they're having trouble cutting down on the general stupidity. There shouldn't be 20+ cars parked by a mountain biking trail or 6 cars parked at a neighborhood park..
I'm seen private businesses in industrial parks still open and they look like they're no-essential. Some commercial construction is still happening but nothing major, looks more like wiring and simplistic/finishing work. Mostly just 1-2 guys on a jobsite.. Still seeing plenty of homeless ppl out and about, but I've also see them stocking up on groceries. Ppl living in cars have taken over my covered skatespot on rainy nights but it was already off limits to me cuz it's on the tweaker highway to am-pm. I'm expecting the lockdown to get stricter so I've been working on a double-sided curb at the school by me. Letting the rain wash away the dust, it's getting painted this weekend.
Personally.. snapped the other day and had to take the car keys away from an older person who didn't wanna mask up but insisted on grocery shopping. This is a paradigm shift, right? I feel like they think they can just ignore it and whatever happens happens.. it's been frustrating..
Anyone having to deal with self-quarantine while living with someone?
Or just doing semi-quarantine from other ppl in your home? What did you do?

News I saw on Italy was they were seeing a decline nationally but the military recently lockdown a small village/town cuz they have an outbreak there. Hope I'm remembering that correctly..
Oh yeah, Wuhan just came off lockdown and UK PM has been in hospital.

fakie nollie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1075
« Reply #939 on: April 08, 2020, 06:25:01 PM »
I live just north of Malibu in a suburb of about 70k people. 32 confirmed cases, 1 death. I feel super fortunate to live where I do and not have such high numbers in my area.

Letting my inner narcissist out, I’ve been social distancing to a fault and definitely feel the physical/emotional toll.

cricketclub

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 511
« Reply #940 on: April 08, 2020, 07:05:01 PM »
I’m finally working from home since last Friday. My boss’s hand was forced last Thursday. I have a nice little set up and I love working at home with my wife and pets. We take a lot of precautions. We both had a virus in early mid March and believe it could have been COVID but to be safe we are acting as if it was not. Luckily we took precautions early on so we didn’t interact with hardly anyone at all during that time. I had to use up some PTO and am a little pissed. Be safe everyone. Can’t wait to chill with my homies after this is all over. Weirdly it has brought us closer in a way by forcing us to interact more digitally.
Handsome debonair fella, Got the Mellow Yellow bezel, Black rims on the Phantom same color Dr. Pepper.

layzieyez

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1508
  • Illusion Flip
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #941 on: April 08, 2020, 08:36:15 PM »
Shelter in place extended to end of April in my city. I'm so happy the university told everyone to stay away before students started flooding back in after spring break. It could have been a hell of a lot worse if they didn't.

My main gripe is that the surrounding counties weren't strict about it at the beginning nor are they currently, but they all come here to shop/do business.

able

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 635
  • omm nom
    • able Skate Mag avatar image
« Reply #942 on: April 08, 2020, 09:32:07 PM »
I think I had it in mid March. It started as a sore throat for almost a week. Then I woke up Tuesday morning, completely drained and had a strong “sick” feeling. This was out of the ordinary. I hadn’t been sick in 6 years. I called out from work So I could stay home and rest and get better. As the week went on my symptoms went from sore throat, weakness, fever, body aches, shortness of breath, and general confusion (never had the cough). I even experienced the chest pressure people speak of. It’s like someone taking a belt, wrapping it around your chest and tightening it. After 4 days of resting and not getting better on Saturday I said “fuck it.” I went out to my driveway, took some wood scraps and built a small ramp and skated it. All the while having a fever, feeling like total shit. That night I drank fuck ton on Vodka too. The next day my symptoms went from 80% to 15%. By Monday it was completely gone.
I’m not a huge Chris Cuomo fan or anything but hearing his testimony about having Covid-19 sounded a lot like my experience.

Additional context: I’m 42 and live in Florida
« Last Edit: April 08, 2020, 09:36:10 PM by able »
ableSkateMag.com

tom

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 996
  • the moon rules
« Reply #943 on: April 08, 2020, 11:31:46 PM »
Finally got unemployment and maybe im an idiot but I feel like im fucking some thing up. Have a feeling in the long run this will result in me owing money back.
You’ll have to fill out a 1099-g on your tax return. You can elect to have the tax taken out beforehand. I hate that the state of CA uses Bank Of America to issue edd debit cards for unemployment
« Last Edit: April 09, 2020, 03:09:40 AM by tom »
fuck you bama

beatifk

• Rep: 162
« Reply #944 on: April 09, 2020, 12:13:21 AM »

Reporting in from Northern Italy... Still much the same here. Our "lockdown" or whatever you want to call it was extended from it's previous end date of April 3 until April 13 now. We're not allowed to enter stores (food stores, pharmacies, y'know, the stores that are allowed to be open) without masks and gloves now. It's mandatory whereas before it was only recommended.

There are still people dying daily but numbers are decreasing finally, we're now under 600/day, still bad obviously. Honestly, it seems the worst has passed for us, I'm more worried about my family and friends in the USA, many of them in New York.

Here in Italy we never had shortages of groceries or people stocking up on guns or any other bullshit like that. There have been reports that various organized crime families will profit heavily from the average italians' misery, but that's normal for Italy.

Anyway, not a lot to report honestly. Everything is closed. We are all staying inside. People who can work from home are doing so, people who can't are fucked and on some kind of minimal unemployment since all non-essential industry is stopped. People are still dying, but not as much as before. Our lockdown is scheduled to end next week. We'll see.

sexualhelon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 18
  • I'm an ardent supporter of futile causes.
    • Lurkaround avatar image
« Reply #945 on: April 09, 2020, 02:51:35 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Reporting in from Northern Italy... Still much the same here. Our "lockdown" or whatever you want to call it was extended from it's previous end date of April 3 until April 13 now. We're not allowed to enter stores (food stores, pharmacies, y'know, the stores that are allowed to be open) without masks and gloves now. It's mandatory whereas before it was only recommended.

There are still people dying daily but numbers are decreasing finally, we're now under 600/day, still bad obviously. Honestly, it seems the worst has passed for us, I'm more worried about my family and friends in the USA, many of them in New York.

Here in Italy we never had shortages of groceries or people stocking up on guns or any other bullshit like that. There have been reports that various organized crime families will profit heavily from the average italians' misery, but that's normal for Italy.

Anyway, not a lot to report honestly. Everything is closed. We are all staying inside. People who can work from home are doing so, people who can't are fucked and on some kind of minimal unemployment since all non-essential industry is stopped. People are still dying, but not as much as before. Our lockdown is scheduled to end next week. We'll see.

So does the government give everyone gloves & masks since you're not allowed to enter stores without them?

Here in Germany each district is handling things differently - you can think of them like States in the US. But in Berlin you can still go out for walks/grocery shopping but pretty much everything else is still closed.

The most perplexing thing to me is that grocery stores seem to be arbitrarily implementing whatever procedures the - I guess - managers think is best. Some make you wait in line to go in which usually turns into chaos. They don't tell people which way to line up or have distance markers outside for the lines. Then when you get in the store it's still a free for all.

But the one that pisses me off is that some stores won't let you enter without a buggy. They don't give you gloves so they're just making everyone have unnecessary indirect contact with probably 1000's of people. I don't even know where you can buy gloves here anymore - or face-masks or hand sanitizer. I never even saw them around before this tbh. Also, to get a buggy you have to put a one euro coin in most of them but then some of the major grocery stores say they only accept contactless payment for now. I think the logic must be that it will force people to keep a certain distance but it's riddled with so many contradictions. Oh, and the German grocery stores basically lock you in once you go inside through the turnstile. So if you go in and don't need anything you have to squeeze your way out through the checkout line. So dumb.

beatifk

• Rep: 162
« Reply #946 on: April 09, 2020, 04:55:43 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

So does the government give everyone gloves & masks since you're not allowed to enter stores without them?

Here in Germany each district is handling things differently - you can think of them like States in the US. But in Berlin you can still go out for walks/grocery shopping but pretty much everything else is still closed.

The most perplexing thing to me is that grocery stores seem to be arbitrarily implementing whatever procedures the - I guess - managers think is best. Some make you wait in line to go in which usually turns into chaos. They don't tell people which way to line up or have distance markers outside for the lines. Then when you get in the store it's still a free for all.

But the one that pisses me off is that some stores won't let you enter without a buggy. They don't give you gloves so they're just making everyone have unnecessary indirect contact with probably 1000's of people. I don't even know where you can buy gloves here anymore - or face-masks or hand sanitizer. I never even saw them around before this tbh. Also, to get a buggy you have to put a one euro coin in most of them but then some of the major grocery stores say they only accept contactless payment for now. I think the logic must be that it will force people to keep a certain distance but it's riddled with so many contradictions. Oh, and the German grocery stores basically lock you in once you go inside through the turnstile. So if you go in and don't need anything you have to squeeze your way out through the checkout line. So dumb.

The Veneto (northern italian state) sent each resident a paper mask that hooks around the ears. It's basically useless. We have a lot of colleagues in Hong Kong that have been able to get masks and send them to us, and prior to that a Japanese colleague left an entire box of surgical masks in our office that we've been using, but I don't think most people are so lucky.

As for gloves, I wore dishwashing gloves to the supermarket yesterday. My girlfriend wore jogging gloves to the aqua-sapone (basically like a CVS or Duane Reade in the USA but without the pharmacy in the back) today. We were unable to buy the correct latex medical style gloves at either place. So, for us, this is idiotic because our hands are much cleaner than whatever gloves we're wearing. And we cannot buy the gloves anywhere because they are sold out. My friends were able to buy gloves when they went to the supermarket on Saturday (which was the first day the gloves rule was enforced) but now we can't get them. So, yes, it's pretty fucking stupid.

The line up at our supermarkets work by taking a number when you first arrive and then waiting to enter until your number is called. And there are constant reminders in the store to keep distance from other shoppers. People are pretty good about it.

We're not supposed to travel 200meters from our house without a valid excuse (going to the supermarket or pharmacy, or some other emergency) so going for a walk or jog or bikeride is pretty much out of the question. And if you do go out, you need to go alone, unless you're with small kids. Even only one member of a family is allowed to enter a store. There has been a carabinieri (national italian police) stationed in front of my apartment almost daily pulling over cars to check their paperwork which states where they are going and where they are coming from and their reason for travel, so they are checking.

Everyone is playing by the rules as best they can, and there is a decline in cases, so maybe it's a good thing. But things will not be the same as they were, that's 100% for sure. And nobody knows what will happen, so everyone is just doing things day-to-day I guess.

It's a tough time for everyone, globally.

KoRnholio8

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1525
  • SkateMagArchive
    • SkateMagArchive avatar image
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #947 on: April 09, 2020, 04:56:32 AM »
Here is Slovenia, the curve has definitely been flattened, but reporting on that is a bit iffy. I guess the media does not want to give the population too much incentive to blow off all of the quarantine limitations too quickly.

I did trail running, running on flat and indoor cycling to stay fit and I am going to skate an empty parking lot today or tomorrow, doing basic manuals and flatground. The weather is ridiculously nice and our parks/forest trails are packed with people (you can't even run straight, because you have to dodge so many people).

Our government restricted the movement of people to the municipality of your residence, since so many of us went hiking and just plain walking in less populated areas (you could say that it is our capital city's fault this happened), like the world famous Lake Bled and the nearby Alps. I am predicting a crazy start to the hiking season with a huge increase in hikers, due to the boredom we are confined to now.

We get 3-6 deaths per day and the vast majority had other chronic illness so to be fair, these people might have died without the virus about this time. The official load on our hospitals has been way under the maximum capacity and has been holding steady for two weeks and has even been decreasing slightly.

arrbee

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 443
« Reply #948 on: April 09, 2020, 08:44:45 AM »
FYI about testing centers. Probably obvious by now but that's where an outbreak has started. Sucks when there's one near you.
Everyone is masked up in public now except for random homeless ppl, crackheads, junkies, prostitutes.. In my suburban neighborhood most ppl still walk around unmasked, a few older folks wear them. Been noticing neighbors also getting almost daily visits from fam that live at another house, pretty sure it's babysitting but just goes to show the imperfect solutions? Idk where I'm going with that..
By me they've recently closed off parking lots at parks, before it was just playground/exercise equipment roped off. They didn't close off walk-in entrances so they might still be open. I think they're having trouble cutting down on the general stupidity. There shouldn't be 20+ cars parked by a mountain biking trail or 6 cars parked at a neighborhood park..
I'm seen private businesses in industrial parks still open and they look like they're no-essential. Some commercial construction is still happening but nothing major, looks more like wiring and simplistic/finishing work. Mostly just 1-2 guys on a jobsite.. Still seeing plenty of homeless ppl out and about, but I've also see them stocking up on groceries. Ppl living in cars have taken over my covered skatespot on rainy nights but it was already off limits to me cuz it's on the tweaker highway to am-pm. I'm expecting the lockdown to get stricter so I've been working on a double-sided curb at the school by me. Letting the rain wash away the dust, it's getting painted this weekend.
Personally.. snapped the other day and had to take the car keys away from an older person who didn't wanna mask up but insisted on grocery shopping. This is a paradigm shift, right? I feel like they think they can just ignore it and whatever happens happens.. it's been frustrating..

News I saw on Italy was they were seeing a decline nationally but the military recently lockdown a small village/town cuz they have an outbreak there. Hope I'm remembering that correctly..

Just speaking to the bold portion of your comment. I work for a furniture company in their distribution center. We are still open. ALL of our retail locations are closed currently. Website is still up and taking orders.

While our outbound/shipping has slowed significantly we are still open and working in the distribution center. The reason we are still coming in and fall under "essential" is that we currently have about 1000 containers on the ocean heading towards us. The port is unloading about 60 of our containers a day. We need to take these containers from the port to prevent the port from backing up which could lead to delays in the port unloading containers having supplies that are essential for what is happening. Medical, cleaning, even food related supplies come from over seas to the US.

So while furniture is definitely not essential, doing our part to keep the ports clear certainly is. If every business that isn't exactly essential would shut down it could certainly cause issues at the ports.

Right now as shitty as it is out there I'm glad to be working. The company just furloughed like 3000 people I luckily was not one in this round. I do fear the longer this goes there will be another round of layoffs. I would make significantly less on unemployment and I would rather let those resources go to service industry folks that are out of work right now.
Quote from: DaveFuck
youre fucking FRIED if you think im gonna listen to dan corrigan talk about cariuma

E

• Rep: 11
« Reply #949 on: April 09, 2020, 03:40:27 PM »

Can you explain what you mean about testing centers more? I live kind of just across from a hospital where there is drive by testing and I've been a little freaked out about having windows open just in case but kinda thought I was being over dramatic.

legion

« Reply #950 on: April 09, 2020, 08:21:32 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Can you explain what you mean about testing centers more? I live kind of just across from a hospital where there is drive by testing and I've been a little freaked out about having windows open just in case but kinda thought I was being over dramatic.
I didn't mean to make it sound like the testing centers were causing outbreaks. Sorry if you took it that way.. Theyd be scary.. I meant testing centers are there because there's an outbreak in that area/city/town. They're kinda randomly across the county in Cali and it's probably where they get xx amount of cases or something. I'd probably be nervous too and keep the windows shut.

legion

« Reply #951 on: April 09, 2020, 09:29:16 PM »

KoRnholio8

• SLAP Pal
  • SkateMagArchive
« Reply #952 on: April 09, 2020, 11:18:51 PM »
https://www.newsweek.com/150-members-saudi-arabia-royal-family-infected-coronavirus-report-1497032
I also saw on BBC that it was 40*c in Riyadh today. That's 104*f

Not in their palaces it is not. Central air ventilation and AC is a perfect combination for virus spreading, just like on cruise ships.

E

• Rep: 11
« Reply #953 on: April 10, 2020, 09:02:22 AM »
Yeah CDC actually advises opening windows if you can.

legion

« Reply #954 on: April 10, 2020, 12:41:12 PM »
Expand Quote
https://www.newsweek.com/150-members-saudi-arabia-royal-family-infected-coronavirus-report-1497032
I also saw on BBC that it was 40*c in Riyadh today. That's 104*f
[close]
D
Not in their palaces it is not. Central air ventilation and AC is a perfect combination for virus spreading, just like on cruise ships.
About 3000 cases in Saudi, not everyone there lives in air conditioned luxury.
They also don't all do central AC, some use wall mounted units with a common compressor unit outside. I forgot what that style is called but I call it Asian style.
Their palaces/compounds are friggin huge too, it's tough to explain the scale when some are bigger than a large shopping mall.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2020, 02:51:42 PM by legion »

VHS ERA

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 211
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #955 on: April 10, 2020, 04:46:39 PM »
Anyone else over FaceTime and Zoom? I’ve had a few fun ones but that’s enough leave me alone lol.

Anyway, what’s going on around me? Mass unmarked graves in the Bronx. Refrigerated trucks for bodies in Manhattan. Shit like that.

If I didn’t read the news none of that’s visible from my neighborhood but yea. I hear a lot of sirens tho. Sounds like there’s a chance we’re past the peak here. People admitted to ICU dipped for the first time since the start.

johnes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -238
« Reply #956 on: April 11, 2020, 05:56:06 AM »
Hey y’all I Havnt really been skating anything besides around the block , the thing about it surviving on surfaces has le not wanting to skate or film with anyone out of fear of infecting them or myself. Since we literally rub up against shit for fun I don’t trust it. Am I over reacting ?
You’re not overreacting. You’re being safe and rational.
I’ve still been skating with mainly 1 person the last few weeks: skating 3 days a week.
I’m a fat Siamese cat.

KoRnholio8

• SLAP Pal
  • SkateMagArchive
« Reply #957 on: April 11, 2020, 07:08:44 AM »
Both, Slovenia's and Austria's prime ministers are mentioning a ban on international leisure travel this summer and also claim that population's herd immunity could take more than a year to establish with a flat curve, pointing to some restrictions being in place for a very long time.

This seems like an overreaction and I doubt my fellow countrymen and women would be able to psychologically handle all these restrictions with no real holidays to look forward to.

Quique

• Rep: 52
« Reply #958 on: April 12, 2020, 04:26:06 PM »
Both, Slovenia's and Austria's prime ministers are mentioning a ban on international leisure travel this summer and also claim that population's herd immunity could take more than a year to establish with a flat curve, pointing to some restrictions being in place for a very long time.

This seems like an overreaction and I doubt my fellow countrymen and women would be able to psychologically handle all these restrictions with no real holidays to look forward to.

Don't think they are overreacting at all. To get herd inmmunity in a year there would have to be 20.000 cases everyday, combining both countries. Are you able to manage the percentage of people that would need hospitalization?

Until something like quick testing appears I don't see another way to handle this.

legion

« Reply #959 on: April 12, 2020, 04:46:38 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Don't think they are overreacting at all. To get herd inmmunity in a year there would have to be 20.000 cases everyday, combining both countries. Are you able to manage the percentage of people that would need hospitalization?

Until something like quick testing appears I don't see another way to handle this.
This got me wondering..
What's the math to herd immunity? (In a year..)
Something simple like +50% of the population divided by 365 days?