Author Topic: Wtf is up with the nine club  (Read 367041 times)

shitsandwich

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -53
Re: Wtf is up with the nine club
« Reply #180 on: November 09, 2020, 08:05:26 PM »
Expand Quote
Eldridge does seem to nearly touch Torey Pudwill in general stupidity.
[close]

Apparently Torey has severe issues sleeping his entire life which he discussed on his most recent appearance. I'm not sure "stupid" is the best way to describe his mental state, because it sounds like he deals with some pretty extreme hardship.

At the end of a recent episode Jeron mentioned starting a Garage Days style thing, where he would sell some of his personal memorabilia, and invited the other guys to join in. It led to a pretty cold moment from one of them towards Jeron, but when I went back to find this episode to share it I couldn't. Maybe someone else can.

Here it is at around 2:07:00 I personally didn't think it was too big of a deal

Banned from the room

« Reply #181 on: November 09, 2020, 08:07:12 PM »
I bet it's political views.

Rocuronium

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 48
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #182 on: November 09, 2020, 09:42:05 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I know some people hate the show, but they are just wrong. Nine club is the best thing to happen to skateboarding since concrete. The experience is even better. They are a perfect ensemble Roger was great dubs is even better. Steezus and Eldy all day, shit all week, all month. They have also been alluding to something major in the works, like God before the deluge. All the haterats will be swept away...
[close]
hello steezus
[close]
Rocuronium is steezus splinter. Not him

Double Gnar'd
[img]https://i.pinimg.com/236x/59/48/b8/5948b85016497192c5b5df8b620f75db.jpg[img]

hateboard

• Rep: -277
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #183 on: November 09, 2020, 11:24:39 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Apparently Torey has severe issues sleeping his entire life which he discussed on his most recent appearance. I'm not sure "stupid" is the best way to describe his mental state, because it sounds like he deals with some pretty extreme hardship.

At the end of a recent episode Jeron mentioned starting a Garage Days style thing, where he would sell some of his personal memorabilia, and invited the other guys to join in. It led to a pretty cold moment from one of them towards Jeron, but when I went back to find this episode to share it I couldn't. Maybe someone else can.
[close]

At least it tells us Jeron's weed vape company 'Blonde' isn't crushing.

HORSES

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 335
« Reply #184 on: November 10, 2020, 02:34:30 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

At least it tells us Jeron's weed vape company 'Blonde' isn't crushing.

And that this isn't the first time Steezus has been left out of group discussions.

hateboard

« Reply #185 on: November 10, 2020, 03:03:39 AM »
To Steezus' credit, when the idea if chucking a Jamie Thomas garage sale came up, he was the only one to object, he got glassy eyeballs from Jeron after he yelled 'Hell No!'

I'm no steezus fan club but I take offence to you guys calling him an outsider. Cos it makes us all outsiders. His skating was 2nd layer pro ho level, he fucked his back skating (i think) and the guy has a part on youtube with manual combo tricks etc. Thats not an outsider, thats just another skate rat punching above his weight division. His holy-er and wiser than though attitude is gonna rub a lot of ppl the wrong way, but the show already has the agreeable stoned nice black guy personality filled.

matty_c

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 460
« Reply #186 on: November 10, 2020, 03:17:06 AM »
You know what I back that, well said
listen to cosmic psychos

veritas

« Reply #187 on: November 10, 2020, 03:35:28 AM »
To Steezus' credit, when the idea if chucking a Jamie Thomas garage sale came up, he was the only one to object, he got glassy eyeballs from Jeron after he yelled 'Hell No!'

I'm no steezus fan club but I take offence to you guys calling him an outsider. Cos it makes us all outsiders. His skating was 2nd layer pro ho level, he fucked his back skating (i think) and the guy has a part on youtube with manual combo tricks etc. Thats not an outsider, thats just another skate rat punching above his weight division. His holy-er and wiser than though attitude is gonna rub a lot of ppl the wrong way, but the show already has the agreeable stoned nice black guy personality filled.

Steezus is generally a broken clock but he’s 100% right here  about them whoring themselves out in a desperate cash grab.

Crob’d idol Stern said it best- what will my audience think when I’m trying to sell them anything I can get my hands on with my name on it. Do you want to be a broadcaster or use your platform to sell old product. Sometimes there’s dignity in leaving money on the table

hateboard

« Reply #188 on: November 10, 2020, 03:47:59 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Steezus is generally a broken clock but he’s 100% right here  about them whoring themselves out in a desperate cash grab.

Crob’d idol Stern said it best- what will my audience think when I’m trying to sell them anything I can get my hands on with my name on it. Do you want to be a broadcaster or use your platform to sell old product. Sometimes there’s dignity in leaving money on the table

Heres a simple question, not a response
just a question. Would the skate world be better if these cunce quit. The answer is no, they made 50+ thousand ppl sit through the history of skateboarding, told by the skaters. Delete that and we suck that little bit harder as a skate culture methinks.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2020, 04:22:32 AM by hateboard »

Sila

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 334
  • Jamu Gost
« Reply #189 on: November 10, 2020, 04:29:41 AM »
I reckon steezus is a good dude.

TurdyBird

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 154
  • <3
« Reply #190 on: November 10, 2020, 04:33:54 AM »
Expand Quote
There's definitely more going on with Roger than they're saying.
[close]

Why does everything have to be a conspiracy theory? What motivation does the show have for lying? The stakes are much lower than you guys make it out to be...

Also, one can look at the garage sale thing as sharing memorabilia with the skate community, instead of hoarding it. It's not just going yourself out. There is such thing as different perspectives.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2020, 04:41:28 AM by TurdyBird »
The chillest1

Uh Oh

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 370
« Reply #191 on: November 10, 2020, 08:07:49 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
There's definitely more going on with Roger than they're saying.
[close]

Why does everything have to be a conspiracy theory? What motivation does the show have for lying? The stakes are much lower than you guys make it out to be...
[close]

Also, one can look at the garage sale thing as sharing memorabilia with the skate community, instead of hoarding it. It's not just going yourself out. There is such thing as different perspectives.

Let's wait until we see what price bracket they've put themselves into before we assume they just want to share.

Dorje Drolo

• Rep: -56
« Reply #192 on: November 10, 2020, 08:10:59 AM »
I've tried so many times to give Nine Club a chance and it's such a painful listen. None of those dudes ever research any of the guests or ask legit questions. Feel like they just spit out the first thing that pops into their mind with no real understanding of who the guest is. Would be cool if those dudes stepped it up a bit and put a little more thought/effort into it so it's not an hour or so of verbal diarrhea.

QUSH

• Rep: -32
« Reply #193 on: November 10, 2020, 09:49:54 AM »
Took me awhile to put my finger on it.
They have let their “characters” become their identity. Nothing interesting, just bad acting.

I blame steezus, most inauthentic non-skater to infiltrate our beloved brotherhood.

steezus is pretty good at skating actually. and he knows his shit.

Nosferatu

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 687
« Reply #194 on: November 10, 2020, 09:55:02 AM »
Expand Quote
They have let their “characters” become their identity. Nothing interesting, just bad acting.

I blame steezus, most inauthentic non-skater to infiltrate our beloved brotherhood.
[close]

steezus is pretty good at skating actually. and he knows his shit.

I thought it wasnt just him solo, shouldve stuck with my og thought.
R.I.P Rusty. One of us.

Lowcalcium

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -100
« Reply #195 on: November 10, 2020, 12:17:42 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

So as I mentioned I'm a big Stern fan...and I've listened pretty regularly over the last 15 years. I have also read all the Stern books and Stern staffers books...including Stuttering John's and Jackie the Jokeman's. I do wish Fred "the man from Mars" would write a book... but I digress

Stern has definitely left money on the table in the past, but he's always done it for the benefit and integrity of the show. At  some point in the shows history, one of the staffer's wanted to get Stern to license T-shirts for the show. Stern could have easily turned a profit of something like $400,000 overnight but decided ultimately against it.

In his words he didn't want to cheapen the show with gimmicks and knick-knacks. Unfortunately, Crob and Crew will never reach the heights of the Sterniverse...and truly no one really else could either---unless you factor in all the conservative radio talk show hosts: Limbaugh, Hannity, Glen Beck...etc...and all of those hosts, just like Alex Jones...sell tons of merchandise and products for fans.

In sum, Crob and company should take the deals on the table when they come. Because they are not in same limelight as Stern & Limbaugh. Nor will they ever be, nor do they claim to be.

Sometimes Lisa does need braces. And you gotta pay the bills the quickest way you know how

Matthew_James

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -191
« Reply #196 on: November 10, 2020, 12:31:01 PM »

Yeah definitely, Steezus comes off as some streetwear nerd who happened to skate instead of a skateboarder who happened to like streetwear for an isolated point in the early 2000’s. As someone who sold drugs for more than half my life, I cringed when he said the Palace/ Polo collaboration was “classic D-Boy style”; the whole streetwear thing was nothing more than kids with rich parents who wanted to dress up like they sold drugs & play pretend, and getting their idea of the culture from rap music (from artists who never touched work in their lives,) and Steezus somehow still embodies this sentiment as a grown man. He’s the epitome of a hanger-on getting put on because he refused to go away, and was lucky enough that his aura didn’t push anybody away during his exposure to ppl who mattered in the industry; that worked because he’s a nice enough guy to not be a pain in the ass, but we all know the ppl who can only be described as “nice guys” because their inoffensiveness takes up the space that their lack of personality left, and nobody truly loves the agreeable cornball who doesn’t resonate on a relatable level.

Eldridge is a pretty strong source of secondhand embarrassment as well. He’s unironically said that certain black skateboarders “skate like gangstas/ have a G style,” and this is a suburban white rich kid who didn’t belong on Chocolate in the first place. I know I’m not the only one who thought it was weird when he chose to single out Hakeem Ducksworth as being “so chocolately” and “skating like a G” during a video that showcased all of the new riders, plenty of commenters were like “bro we know he’s black, you don’t have to keep alluding to it in your descriptions of him.” And that’s outside of the fact that he comes across as a double digit IQ doofus who lacks the creativity to come up with an original thought, I could get better commentary from the local know-nothings at the skatepark. He’s been a pro skateboarder all of your adult life, how does he lack the graces necessary to keep up a constructive conversation about his profession?

They should nix those two and fill their seats with rotating Slap Pals, we’d get some fresh ideas from people who actually have the wherewithal to express them. Also no more Dill podcasts, he’s already given us all that his narcissism could deliver & anything further would be him doing his best impression of what he thinks Steve Rocco was like.
At least when you're a washed-out hipster douchebag in NY, you can milk it at some decent looking, hard to skate spots. In LA you're just a tan-lined faggot in a school yard somewhere.

Cool Ceith

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 614
  • Did someone say sassy?
« Reply #197 on: November 10, 2020, 12:35:13 PM »
Once, I slammed really hard in front of Steezus (who I think should just go back to his given name "Dwayne MacMurray"), and he very quickly rolled up to me and asked if I was OK. He'll always stick out in my mind as a super nice, if outspoken, skater because of that.

Thanks Mr. MacMurray!

tortfeasor

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 341
« Reply #198 on: November 10, 2020, 01:11:26 PM »

this is half right in my opinion.

its not steezus by himself (i like steezus), its too many flavors on the plate. too many people jumping in, too many opinions,  the show is kind of mushy.  i don't really feel "connected" to them any more. i don't listen as hard anymore.  i like all of these guys individually but together its too much.  the show is cluttered and the episodes blend together.   

the trinity of CRob as a guiding star, Rog as the grounded straight-man, and kelly as the feelgood relief was perfect. the balance was great. the flavors were sharp.  it was easy to understood their relationships and opinions.  they each had there very distinct personalities and it was easy to learn which voice to follow.   

adding LD  to the second show worked because he's really good at understanding when less is more.  he knew when to fall back, and how to let the show flow around him.  he was very defined and complemented the others. 

putting on steezus on when LD wasn't there was great.   it felt fresh and new.  He was a nice funny surprise.  Very different than LD but great in his own way,  unlike LD he moved the flow of the show, kept it feeling sharp.  Steezus was also great at pushing the show to be more "professional" and engaging the fans and egging on fan contributions. he added real value. I credit him with pushing the "second" show past the main show in content quality.    However adding Steezus full time made the mic a little crowded.  it was hard to know whose voice to follow.  there was a lot of voices being pushed down. a lot of half finished sentences.  there was less opportunity to build a para-social relationship with the people you were listening to (which is where the show excelled the most ) but the show was still working and working very well. 

When Jeron started filling in as a guest host, it was a cool surprise and didn't disrupt too much because it was still 4. Jerons episodes were like a "special adventure episode" .  you were being introduced to your friends' friend and that was cool.  it was a nice break from the regularity and it was manageable.   Adding him full time though made the issue of overcrowding into a real problem.  it completely drowned one of the most valued voices out of the equation.  No ones voice could come to the surface.  It no longer feels like Chris' show.  it no longer had direction and personality.    its just a "bunch of dudes hanging out" which sounds great in concept-- but doesn't make for compelling listening.  on top of that  Jeron bridges all the personalities together too closely.  he lessens the separation between the voices and opinions which makes it even more mushy.   

the other issue is that the bunt is getting better and better and better.  this season of the bunt is by far the most listenable season to date. the voices are crisp, the separation of personality is clear,  Cephas and Donovan are flowing together cleaner than ever, the pacing is perfect. They never step on each other.  they are bringing out the best in each other.  that show is a sauce that's simmered and reduced down to perfection. its flavor is so clear.   with the bunt growing up and improving so dramatically its hard not to notice the issues the 9club is having.

when the show first started i was a fan.  a big fan.  i was a patreon member, i bought the merch. it was first priority podcast when episodes came out.  i 'engaged" with the show.  i looked forward to new episodes.  i slowly fell off right around the time Jaron was coming on as a regular because i don't feel like i'm missing anything if i miss a show or two.   I'm still a fan and i think the show will continue to be one of the marquee skateboarding podcasts for years to come.  i'm absolutely not saying "fire everyone" and go back... but i am hoping that once the lock down ends Chris will do a main show with just the trinity and play with with substitutes and line ups for the second show.  Maybe make the big get together a once a month thing and rotate out one or two of the other 3 every week.
more heaven-cruise than hell-ride.

waffle

• Rep: 127
« Reply #199 on: November 10, 2020, 01:48:41 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

I don't get why this 'Steezus' dude has any say at all in the matter - Who is this dude? Does he even skate? Does he ever add any valuable input?

formula420

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 89
« Reply #200 on: November 10, 2020, 01:54:26 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

So as I mentioned I'm a big Stern fan...and I've listened pretty regularly over the last 15 years. I have also read all the Stern books and Stern staffers books...including Stuttering John's and Jackie the Jokeman's. I do wish Fred "the man from Mars" would write a book... but I digress

Stern has definitely left money on the table in the past, but he's always done it for the benefit and integrity of the show. At  some point in the shows history, one of the staffer's wanted to get Stern to license T-shirts for the show. Stern could have easily turned a profit of something like $400,000 overnight but decided ultimately against it.

In his words he didn't want to cheapen the show with gimmicks and knick-knacks. Unfortunately, Crob and Crew will never reach the heights of the Sterniverse...and truly no one really else could either---unless you factor in all the conservative radio talk show hosts: Limbaugh, Hannity, Glen Beck...etc...and all of those hosts, just like Alex Jones...sell tons of merchandise and products for fans.

In sum, Crob and company should take the deals on the table when they come. Because they are not in same limelight as Stern & Limbaugh. Nor will they ever be, nor do they claim to be.

Sometimes Lisa does need braces. And you gotta pay the bills the quickest way you know how

theres a big difference between doing ads for a wack company and selling off your own stuff that you don't want/need anymore.

Sick Duck

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 93
« Reply #201 on: November 10, 2020, 03:27:57 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

theres a big difference between doing ads for a wack company and selling off your own stuff that you don't want/need anymore.
plus they already did full on commercials about trimming their pubes together for a company called manscape lol

hateboard

« Reply #202 on: November 10, 2020, 03:28:19 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

I don't get why this 'Steezus' dude has any say at all in the matter - Who is this dude? Does he even skate? Does he ever add any valuable input?

Did you even read this thread? His skate part was posted just a few posts up. Put it this way, he was a better skater than you were i would wager. There is no question around Steezus once being a skate rat. I doubt he still skates, but same story with Eldy and most washed up pros they interview.

GershonSweaty

• Rep: -3
    • @_moreinformation avatar image
« Reply #203 on: November 10, 2020, 03:58:49 PM »
The problem is he always says “Paul” when referring to P-Rod with a certain intonation that echoes “I’m his friend I know him” and that’s always going to rub me up the wrong way. 

arcam

• Rep: -65
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #204 on: November 10, 2020, 04:40:59 PM »
curious as to why Crob is streaming pga 2k21 on his channel right now and not the "2 dudes 1 game" chnnel

EDIT:  sorry he just said that the 9club will hopefully be back next week

rukes

• Rep: 221
  • Yabba dabba doo
« Reply #205 on: November 10, 2020, 04:51:50 PM »
curious as to why Crob is streaming pga 2k21 on his channel right now and not the "2 dudes 1 game" chnnel

On a semi-related note, Crob doing video game streaming reminds me of that 'how do you do fellow kids' meme
Is it true?  Or did you read it on the slap message board?

Sandygoat

• Rep: -45
  • THE BIGGEST SHALOMIE
« Reply #206 on: November 10, 2020, 04:58:25 PM »
I hope we can get a Rad Rat interview
He's cool but I don't he is not geared to a podcast format. I think he would be very good at interviewing people though.

pizzafliptofakie

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1966
« Reply #207 on: November 10, 2020, 05:18:42 PM »

i'm watching right now and he seems very sad.

Sandygoat

• Rep: -45
  • THE BIGGEST SHALOMIE
« Reply #208 on: November 10, 2020, 05:42:10 PM »
I don't know if I emotionally stunted or something but I don't see why its a matter of discussion. I dont know people are making grand conspiracies about the absences and stuff like that. At the end of the day it's not like if the podcast is out for a few weeks the world will end. For something this boring people really seemed emotionally invested about it.

shitsandwich

• Rep: -53
« Reply #209 on: November 10, 2020, 06:36:16 PM »
The problem is he always says “Paul” when referring to P-Rod with a certain intonation that echoes “I’m his friend I know him” and that’s always going to rub me up the wrong way.

Hahah jesus christ, people will find anything to give them a reason to hate.
I feel you though cus sometimes little things rub me the wrong way too