Author Topic: The "Has anyone skated these?" Thread - Shoes  (Read 64279 times)

FrozenIndustries

Re: The "Has anyone skated these?" Thread - Shoes
« Reply #480 on: December 18, 2020, 05:52:05 AM »
Expand Quote
Eh only about 50%, probably less, of the Knox 440 is actually leather. Amazing shoe though, I just got them in yesterday.
[close]
got a pair of the tom knox 440s 2 weeks ago. broke in quick, good ankle support, good boardfeel. sole is already feeling a little soft tho, was hoping itd be more durable/padded. i've honestly had vans that kept their padding longer, and the whole reason i switched to NB was to try and get more padding under my feet. after reading threads here i got the ipression that the 440s were a really good middle ground between vulc boardfeel and cup padding. that seemed to be the case for my first 5 sessions or so, but not anymore.

also, i underestimated how warm my feet would be in leather high-tops. if i lived somewhere cold this would be a huge selling point, but i recently moved to LA and therefore my feet are sweating like hell. that's my own mistake i guess, whoops.

Could just be the highs? Skating the standard 440s right now and the board feel to support/padding ratio is pretty amazing. I weigh like 200 pounds and feel like these have raised the bar for me.

l1ll1ll1

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 56
« Reply #481 on: December 18, 2020, 06:03:58 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
These are nice, and i like the understated swoosh. Interested to hear the progress and how durable the leather is. Break in immediate?
[close]

I feel the sole will take another session or two, or maybe I just need to get used to it after the Janoskis, which seem much thinner. Insole has an air pad, maybe that also plays into it. Leather is pretty soft, felt flexible enough to not cause any strain. Was wearing two pairs of socks though (it's freezing here), plus ankle brace on my front foot. So take this with a grain of salt, I was probably just not feeling much of the shoe. ;)

Bit concerned about the leather in terms of durability, looks like some sort of fake texture that rubs off quickly. Hope it's just this top layer. I did exactly three Kickflips and this is how it looks where I flick:

[close]

In my experience with Blazer Mids: This is just how the gonna look where you flick. They take a long time to get holes, at least mine never got them.
[close]

I'd echo this, I skated a pair of bruins with the same pebbled leather material. It doesn't look great, but it's pretty durable.

I'm a little bummed to see these are made with this material though, from photos I thought these would a higher quality leather. I also semi recently skated a pair of those Portland Trailblazer bruins that wore away from black to red and that leather was perfect, I was hoping these would be closer to that.

Edit: The Bruin seems like a happy medium between the thin Janoski and bulkier Blazer mids. I prefer them over Blazer lows when I want to skate a nike sb vulc. They feel better and have a tasteful small stitched swoosh that doesn't take over the whole shoe. Anybody else think Bruins are better?

Bruin reacts are the shit. Really good skate shoe, sturdier than Blazers with a ton of impact protection.

MusclesMarinara

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 100
« Reply #482 on: December 20, 2020, 07:49:03 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
These are nice, and i like the understated swoosh. Interested to hear the progress and how durable the leather is. Break in immediate?
[close]

I feel the sole will take another session or two, or maybe I just need to get used to it after the Janoskis, which seem much thinner. Insole has an air pad, maybe that also plays into it. Leather is pretty soft, felt flexible enough to not cause any strain. Was wearing two pairs of socks though (it's freezing here), plus ankle brace on my front foot. So take this with a grain of salt, I was probably just not feeling much of the shoe. ;)

Bit concerned about the leather in terms of durability, looks like some sort of fake texture that rubs off quickly. Hope it's just this top layer. I did exactly three Kickflips and this is how it looks where I flick:

[close]

In my experience with Blazer Mids: This is just how the gonna look where you flick. They take a long time to get holes, at least mine never got them.

Any of yall give some experience with how these fit? Are they narrow and tight? Been looking for a mid shoe to try this winter and this is another on my watchlist
« Last Edit: December 20, 2020, 08:04:50 PM by CrimsonGhost »
Alex Olson never had the makings of a varsity athlete.

ballintoohard

« Reply #483 on: December 20, 2020, 07:59:39 PM »
I too am a Bruin dude. Blazers are still rad, but the Bruins seem to hold up better and flop out less. Sucks they don't always make as many colors in them. I've been stockpiling the orange label ones slightly used from Depop on the cheap.

funeral_tuxedo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1137
  • old and in the way
« Reply #484 on: December 20, 2020, 08:57:48 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

Any of yall give some experience with how these fit? Are they narrow and tight? Been looking for a mid shoe to try this winter and this is another on my watchlist

@CrimsonGhost tts for me and neither too narrow or too tight but they definitely feel snug at first. Great cushion and support.

MusclesMarinara

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 100
« Reply #485 on: December 20, 2020, 09:22:49 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

@CrimsonGhost tts for me and neither too narrow or too tight but they definitely feel snug at first. Great cushion and support.

Cool thank you, I was looking at Crockett Hi's as well but finding my size and a colorway I like is a bit of a challenge. These are readily available so I might pull the trigger. Big fan of full leather skate shoes so these are looking like a definite buy.
Alex Olson never had the makings of a varsity athlete.

wuust

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -26
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #486 on: December 21, 2020, 12:41:24 PM »
vans sport all black

anyone got them and can recommend them?

topfrog10

• Rep: 6
« Reply #487 on: December 26, 2020, 02:59:42 PM »
Expand Quote
Eh only about 50%, probably less, of the Knox 440 is actually leather. Amazing shoe though, I just got them in yesterday.
[close]
got a pair of the tom knox 440s 2 weeks ago. broke in quick, good ankle support, good boardfeel. sole is already feeling a little soft tho, was hoping itd be more durable/padded. i've honestly had vans that kept their padding longer, and the whole reason i switched to NB was to try and get more padding under my feet. after reading threads here i got the ipression that the 440s were a really good middle ground between vulc boardfeel and cup padding. that seemed to be the case for my first 5 sessions or so, but not anymore.

also, i underestimated how warm my feet would be in leather high-tops. if i lived somewhere cold this would be a huge selling point, but i recently moved to LA and therefore my feet are sweating like hell. that's my own mistake i guess, whoops.

i'm debating copping a pair of these but im really not used to high tops. the only ones ive worn was vans sk8 his and they hella hurt the back of my ankle and my foot never truly felt held in them. would you say these 440s are similar?

ricky bobby

« Reply #488 on: January 02, 2021, 01:47:16 AM »
Wasn't sure exactly where to ask this question, but has anyone in here skated any of the shoes from Last Resort AB's second drop? I ask this because i'm skating a pair of the low tops from the first drop and i'm loving them aside from the sole balding really quickly. Was hoping if anyone had any word that they'd fixed this problem on the second drop.

Vinz

• Rep: -11
  • bam margera biggest fan
« Reply #489 on: January 02, 2021, 10:33:05 AM »
Has any one skated the Joslin Vulc? I was wondering abou the fit, durability, and insole. Those shoes look awesome.

jay_nev

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 306
« Reply #490 on: January 02, 2021, 11:44:28 AM »
Wasn't sure exactly where to ask this question, but has anyone in here skated any of the shoes from Last Resort AB's second drop? I ask this because i'm skating a pair of the low tops from the first drop and i'm loving them aside from the sole balding really quickly. Was hoping if anyone had any word that they'd fixed this problem on the second drop.
haven’t released in the US yet. The sole still grips even tho it visually balds? Haven’t gotten to skate my pair
 but I love em for chillers atm

DarkPools

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 470
« Reply #491 on: January 02, 2021, 09:01:50 PM »
Has any one skated the Joslin Vulc? I was wondering abou the fit, durability, and insole. Those shoes look awesome.
Haven't tried the vulcs yet but the insole is the same as the cupsole version: the pro foam 1 (a dense, somewhat squishy feel) that is comfortable to me. Not sure about everything else. Hopefully someone can chime in!
Super Champion Fun Zone

mynameisnotjeff

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 581
« Reply #492 on: January 03, 2021, 08:58:17 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Haven't tried the vulcs yet but the insole is the same as the cupsole version: the pro foam 1 (a dense, somewhat squishy feel) that is comfortable to me. Not sure about everything else. Hopefully someone can chime in!

Unfortunately I have to self quarantine.
But I got a pair from a sale at the Z. The last Etnies I had were the RCT in the Nick Garcia colorway. Those were the comfiest shoes I ever had. These seem as comfortable as those but are very much bigger. There’s a lot of padding on it and I’m assuming they are tanks. I feel very confident in them.
Nothing I do deserves more than an iphone camera.

baustin

• Rep: 115
« Reply #493 on: January 05, 2021, 08:08:56 AM »
Has anyone skated in the new Telfords yet? I know they’ve only dropped them in the goofy Black Sabbath colorway but I’m looking for some feedback before some *hopefully* more palatable colorways come out

SpookDad2

• Rep: 0
« Reply #494 on: January 05, 2021, 08:43:33 AM »
Has anyone skated the AVEs or the Berle Pros? Looking for my next set of shoes and the local only really holds vans, wondering what slap's opinion on the matter is

Firebert

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 225
    • Instagram avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #495 on: January 05, 2021, 09:37:25 AM »
AVE pros over Berles imo but I only tried on the Berles.

listentoaheartbeat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 187
« Reply #496 on: January 05, 2021, 10:01:54 AM »
First session down in Blazer Mids and even though it was not even close to the immediate feel and control I experienced in Janoskis, it was pretty good. Pop felt weird but overall stability contributed to solid confidence levels right from the start. Have never skated in high tops before but now I’m definitely going to give it a chance. My ankles will thank me. Third pair of Nikes since everyone else seems to have abandoned oversized shoes, still feels like betrayal but I have to admit the quality is there.

Further reporting back on these, such a mixed bag! They actually change the way I skate compared to Janoskis. I commit more but don’t really feel the board. Hoping the sole will break in more, if I gain some control in these the confidence boost will be much more enjoyable. Added bonus is that they keep my feet warm during current winter sessions.

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1094
« Reply #497 on: January 05, 2021, 10:57:34 AM »
Has anyone skated the AVEs or the Berle Pros? Looking for my next set of shoes and the local only really holds vans, wondering what slap's opinion on the matter is

AVEs are a really good shoe imo. Minimal, firm. Doesn’t feel like much, if any heel drop. Some people blow em out fast, mine lasted. Not my favorite looking shoe, I wish they looked like an era/authentic or something similar, but if I had to only use one shoe for everything AVEs would do it. Meaning I’ve run some distance in them, etc.

mynameisnotjeff

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 581
« Reply #498 on: January 05, 2021, 03:51:37 PM »
Skated both.
The Berle is a pebble magnet and the flick is weird. But I felt like there was better arch support on the shoe overall.

The AVE is a superior shoe. It flicks and feels better. It feels more like a sock and the toe box is short of bulletproof. I bald my soles quickly but even after mine went flat the grip was very present.what I didn’t like was the lack of arch support and how the mesh can be a weak pin to for the shoe.
Nothing I do deserves more than an iphone camera.

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 35
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #499 on: January 06, 2021, 02:04:16 AM »
Simple: aves are good, berles are shit.
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

chillclinton87

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 72
« Reply #500 on: January 06, 2021, 02:11:26 AM »
anybody skated the bruin react?

TTS?

is it more on the wide side cause it looks like it!

Seen a couple kids around skating them hella long and the shoe looks good to me so i might try em, just not sure on the sizing....

l1ll1ll1

• Rep: 56
« Reply #501 on: January 06, 2021, 10:49:12 AM »
anybody skated the bruin react?

TTS?

is it more on the wide side cause it looks like it!

Seen a couple kids around skating them hella long and the shoe looks good to me so i might try em, just not sure on the sizing....

TTS for me, great shoe, really long lasting, great sole... once its gone it will widen out a lot and let you know that it's time for a change...

LordManHammer

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -323
  • (0_o) whatever dog you probably suck at it
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #502 on: January 06, 2021, 11:32:38 AM »
Anyone ever skated the Rowan pro shoe?  Is it true to size? What's your opinion and what was it's flaws?
Dueces Bitch's

Vinz

• Rep: -11
  • bam margera biggest fan
« Reply #503 on: January 06, 2021, 11:45:31 AM »
Anyone ever skated the Rowan pro shoe?  Is it true to size? What's your opinion and what was it's flaws?
Yes I have! I recommend you go 1/2 or 1 size down. The shoe is quite wide. (I have slimmer feet) It feels like if a half cab was a low shoe. The Vulc wasn't as flexible as other Vans shoes. It is QUITE durable. There is some extra rubber that sort of sits between the toe and sole and kind of made the flick weird but I got used to it. There are options with out this rubber however. Basically if you like the half cab but want it in a low version get the Rowans.

LordManHammer

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #504 on: January 06, 2021, 02:59:11 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Yes I have! I recommend you go 1/2 or 1 size down. The shoe is quite wide. (I have slimmer feet) It feels like if a half cab was a low shoe. The Vulc wasn't as flexible as other Vans shoes. It is QUITE durable. There is some extra rubber that sort of sits between the toe and sole and kind of made the flick weird but I got used to it. There are options with out this rubber however. Basically if you like the half cab but want it in a low version get the Rowans.
Word my wife ordered me a pair of them, I have an awkward size left foot is 11&half right possibly 113/4" my right is 12" a scooch bigger than true size so I don't mind the size just enough room for my big ass feet.
Dueces Bitch's

daewonbong3000

• Rep: 10
« Reply #505 on: January 06, 2021, 05:33:58 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Skated both.
The Berle is a pebble magnet and the flick is weird. But I felt like there was better arch support on the shoe overall.

The AVE is a superior shoe. It flicks and feels better. It feels more like a sock and the toe box is short of bulletproof. I bald my soles quickly but even after mine went flat the grip was very present.what I didn’t like was the lack of arch support and how the mesh can be a weak pin to for the shoe.
AVE shoe -
GREAT heel lock
Wide in the forefoot
Super Durable
A little long in the toe, in my normal vans size
Decent flick
Solid Grip
OK boardfeel
Ripped a shit load of laces

Eric Dolphy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 516
« Reply #506 on: January 06, 2021, 05:53:14 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

looks like similar leather to the Anti Hero BA dunk mids, which looked shitty fast because of the textured leather but were soft and grippy and lasted really well. I started using a liquid shoe polish to return them to black

Heywoodfloyd

• Rep: 13
« Reply #507 on: January 08, 2021, 07:47:00 AM »
Has anyone ever skated the Adidas Handball Spezial?

I ordered a pair because i love skating the Busenitz pro's, but i want to look down and see something different on my feet for a while.

I'm also curious about the difference in quality between regular Adidas vs the skate branded stuff.

DarkPools

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 470
« Reply #508 on: January 08, 2021, 01:22:28 PM »
Rowans feel pretty true to size, so I wouldn't go up or down in them for anyone interested in those. If your feet are on the skinnier side, maybe 1/2 down, but 1 whole size is far too much

Similar fit as Half Cab Pro, just lower collar and beefier vulc outsole.
Super Champion Fun Zone

LordManHammer

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #509 on: January 11, 2021, 05:23:02 AM »
Rowans feel pretty true to size, so I wouldn't go up or down in them for anyone interested in those. If your feet are on the skinnier side, maybe 1/2 down, but 1 whole size is far too much

Similar fit as Half Cab Pro, just lower collar and beefier vulc outsole.
I thought I was going to have an issue as my left foot is smaller than right but out the box they feel good and I can deal with that small space as opposed to gigantic one shoe size too big. My wife saw these red ones on sale and whats your size? I said I can't do half sizes as it'll fit awkward glad I just stuck with size 12's.
Dueces Bitch's