Author Topic: Gonz “art” is trash. Change my mind.  (Read 12384 times)

Matt

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 28
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: Gonz “art” is trash. Change my mind.
« Reply #30 on: March 30, 2020, 12:33:53 PM »
"Good" art should be something that requires a mastery of a skill set in the creators chosen art form. Such as potter creating a vase. The first attempts maybe lackluster, but over time the potter achieves a finished product that can't be recreated by a novice. "Good" art should progress beyond the "novice" level.

I can appreciate many different forms of art, but if I look at a piece of art and think to myself "I can can do that", I wont consider that piece to be "good" art.

I think that good art is something that makes you feel something rather than how technically difficult it is. Also, someone can do a really technically impressive photo-realistic painting with a terrible composition, poor use of colour etc. and it ends up bad anyways.

The "I could do that" thing only works when you remove the piece from any context. If someone takes a big canvas and paints it two colours, you could say that you could have done the same, but you didn't, and more importantly it ignores the larger context of what is going on in the world, especially in art. When someone does something new, or subversive that matters as well. You could copy a Mondrian (and I think you might find that suddenly it's harder than you thought to make...) but you wouldn't be doing something new, and it wouldn't have the same meaning as it did when he was making those famous paintings because of what other people were doing at the time.
live love laugh

CallMeDillo

« Reply #31 on: March 30, 2020, 12:34:45 PM »
Art is self expression. Personally I think his art is neat, but if you don't then who cares. Art is just about the most subjective thing out there.

Dr Dew

« Reply #32 on: March 30, 2020, 12:34:50 PM »
I think every one of us can replicate the majority of Gonz’s “art”. That says alot.

that's like discrediting rodney mullen inventing the kickflip because "most of us can replicate that trick"

conceiving the idea is part of the accomplishment

Crusty Grundle

« Reply #33 on: March 30, 2020, 12:42:06 PM »
I think every one of us can replicate the majority of Gonz’s “art”. That says alot.

Check it out... I can draw like a highly acclaimed artist... I must be an artist!

Mike Oxwelling

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 30
« Reply #34 on: March 30, 2020, 12:42:32 PM »

Please...submit a pic.   Better yet a video proving you're not tracing anything.   And let us change our minds about your statement.  There's plenty of time in these times.....annnnnnd go

Matt

« Reply #35 on: March 30, 2020, 12:43:53 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

that's like discrediting rodney mullen inventing the kickflip because "most of us can replicate that trick"

Exactly! To build on that analogy: I'd rather watch a good kickflip than a mobbed triple-flip. Doesn't matter that the triple flip is "technically" harder.

Someone can make art that looks like a quick doodle, but there is mastery and self-expression within it. We can all draw a stick figure, but some people's will be more pleasing than others.
live love laugh

Christmas Complete

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 814
  • You better shut up, Don
« Reply #36 on: March 30, 2020, 12:47:57 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I always felt his art was simplistic and childish. Pretty much crap to me. I'm honestly irked that the art world gives him so much praise and his work commands high dollars. His art has barely evolved in 30 years! He's made a career by fooling everyone. With all that said... his skating is overrated too. He comes from an era where style was everything and the dude lacks that as well. The dude is a self aware caricature of himself.
[close]

Exactly. He is almost become a parody of himself in a way.
[close]

Curious to know what you think is "good" art?
[close]

I'm wondering if you're truly curious about my thoughts on "good" art or if I'm being set up to be roasted, but here is my attempt to verbalize what I consider to be "good" art...

"Good" art should be something that requires a mastery of a skill set in the creators chosen art form. Such as potter creating a vase. The first attempts maybe lackluster, but over time the potter achieves a finished product that can't be recreated by a novice. "Good" art should progress beyond the "novice" level.

I can appreciate many different forms of art, but if I look at a piece of art and think to myself "I can can do that", I wont consider that piece to be "good" art.

That's not art, it's craftsmanship. That said, I don't like Gonz' art.
Andy Anderson, I cannot sanction your buffoonery.

Dr Dew

« Reply #37 on: March 30, 2020, 12:53:55 PM »
i think art and craftsmanship are interrelated

Crusty Grundle

« Reply #38 on: March 30, 2020, 01:00:24 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I always felt his art was simplistic and childish. Pretty much crap to me. I'm honestly irked that the art world gives him so much praise and his work commands high dollars. His art has barely evolved in 30 years! He's made a career by fooling everyone. With all that said... his skating is overrated too. He comes from an era where style was everything and the dude lacks that as well. The dude is a self aware caricature of himself.
[close]

[close]

[close]

I'm wondering if you're truly curious about my thoughts on "good" art or if I'm being set up to be roasted, but here is my attempt to verbalize what I consider to be "good" art...

[close]

That's not art, it's craftsmanship. That said, I don't like Gonz' art.

Fair enough. I consider craftsmanship to be a form "good" art. Anybody can put a pen to paper, strum a guitar, carve a piece of wood, etc.  but to consider childish doodles to be good art takes away from what some truly great artist do. Some people try to classify Gonz's art as greater than what it truly is. Sure it's art, but it's not great art.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2020, 01:02:42 PM by Crusty Grundle »

Dracula

• Rep: -20
« Reply #39 on: March 30, 2020, 01:07:34 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Check it out... I can draw like a highly acclaimed artist... I must be an artist!
You’re just copying a highly acclaimed artist

Matt

« Reply #40 on: March 30, 2020, 01:11:35 PM »
It's like thinking you could design a great logo because you can draw a Nike swoosh.
live love laugh

SickSickSicks

• Rep: 20
  • Semper Fidelis Tyrannosaurus!
« Reply #41 on: March 30, 2020, 01:20:43 PM »
Trash art has a poster child and thats Jeff Koons. BUT anyone who separates rich idiots from their money for something they made is OK in my book.

Saarinotsorry

• Rep: -78
« Reply #42 on: March 30, 2020, 01:25:46 PM »
In his defense, he very much has his own style. If you see a painting of his, you instantly know its his. Anyone that has done any art form can attest to how difficult it is to do something original and recognizable. Kieth Haring did simple characters that certain people like so I think its the same with Gonz. People like it for how it makes them feel and that makes it good art. If you don't like it thats fine but if it makes him feel good and makes others feel good it is undeniably effective art.

Just, NO. You think ANYONE outside of skateboarding even knows his name? You think any of those 5 people have bought any of his “art”? Lol. Gansz is only popular with 40 something-year-old skateboarders who grew up idolizing him in the 1980s

computerdate

• Rep: 18
  • I hope they keep down the price of gas
« Reply #43 on: March 30, 2020, 01:26:41 PM »
It’s a cliche but the art/fashion/photography scene really is all about who you know. Your perceived talent is a far 2nd in comparison to if you have a name in something “cool and authentic” like skateboarding and if you appeal to hypebeasts/big city hipsters

Saarinotsorry

« Reply #44 on: March 30, 2020, 01:26:58 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Only one said idea is worth replicating

Chavo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 236
« Reply #45 on: March 30, 2020, 01:28:07 PM »
Your personal preference may be subjective, however, the statement that his art is trash is false. Beginning with Gonz's second Vision model, his self-drawn art represented a turning point from an established company (with the big 5 general taking inspiration from '60s hot rods, surf, and psychedelia). Blender, Lucero, and Gonz created a new visual identity relevant to a younger generation. You may not like his art, however, it is relevant to the visual identity of modern skateboarding and had proven to be financially viable to Blind (who used and abused his original art and logo long after he left).

Mike Oxwelling

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #46 on: March 30, 2020, 01:35:57 PM »
Expand Quote
In his defense, he very much has his own style. If you see a painting of his, you instantly know its his. Anyone that has done any art form can attest to how difficult it is to do something original and recognizable. Kieth Haring did simple characters that certain people like so I think its the same with Gonz. People like it for how it makes them feel and that makes it good art. If you don't like it thats fine but if it makes him feel good and makes others feel good it is undeniably effective art.
[close]

Just, NO. You think ANYONE outside of skateboarding even knows his name? You think any of those 5 people have bought any of his “art”? Lol. Gansz is only popular with 40 something-year-old skateboarders who grew up idolizing him in the 1980s

Given the current President of the US collects his art, at least buys it, I'm going to guess its more than skateboarders that are familiar.

Molte

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 170
« Reply #47 on: March 30, 2020, 01:38:16 PM »
i’m 32 years old. I understand some of you guys in your 40s that grew up watching Gonz will inevitably support anything he does but jesus christ his art is so cringe.

Dude, I'm 32 too!! But I do let him get a free pass on a lot of bullshit, that's true.
Christ airs, airwalks and darkslides

pdknox

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 7
« Reply #48 on: March 30, 2020, 01:39:33 PM »

never knew that was his handwriting though i can see it now  i knew he named the company blind as a "fuck you" to vision, always thought that was cool.

natas still has the better handwritten logo.

the irony being i am wearing a gonz adidas drawn hoodie as i type this

ha.

Saarinotsorry

« Reply #49 on: March 30, 2020, 01:40:57 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Given the current President of the US collects his art, at least buys it, I'm going to guess its more than skateboarders that are familiar.

No way! Lol please prove this. I hope its true btw

Mike Oxwelling

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #50 on: March 30, 2020, 02:22:36 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

No way! Lol please prove this. I hope its true btw

Just use google chode.   And when your asked to have your art say somewhere like this  :

Come back talking trash all you want.

jgonzalez

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 795
  • no not never. looser.
    • JGonz4ever avatar image
« Reply #51 on: March 30, 2020, 02:29:23 PM »
That's not art, it's craftsmanship.
There's so many essays and books on this subject. This point of view is also a barrier that western artists and art historians use/have used to subjugate or other the works of non western artists.

Marks work is easily identified as some of you have already pointed out. Artwork is neither good nor bad. It is within context its meaning emerges. Mark's work has emerged through skateboarding, and has strengthened its association to skateboarding through the repetition of its presence. It has undergone signification(gained its meaning) in this way. I'm invoking structuralism, and work by Roland Barthes.
tldr Mark's work has influenced the visual vocabulary and language of skateboarding.

Mark is represented by galleries and has a following of collectors. Hoards of skateboarders show up to his shows, but I don't think they're the ones normally buying his work. So that means someone out there is paying thousands for it. I'm pretty sure it isn't trump directly buying, but people working for him have bought Mark's work which indicates it is expected to only increase in value. The realm of high art/collecting is full of names that aren't known by most people anyway.

https://www.wmagazine.com/story/donald-trump-defund-arts-andy-warhol/
This article mentions Mark Gonzales being in Trump's collection. Not concrete evidence though.

As an artist myself ( I actually pay my bills with my art ) I think that everyone has the right to make art and sell it for as much as people are willing to pay but, my only concern is that more and more I see underdeveloped styles being pushed on to the market just because the artist is a celebrity or professional skateboarder. In my opinion that's not good for the artist nor the industry. Just like in skateboarding you don’t get good at it out of nowhere,It takes time and practice to develop it and make it became your voice.
 I Personally think Mark’s art is overhyped because of who he is but at the same time I do see something really good in there. Maybe he needs less “yes people” around him telling his stuff is great.
Ps. ALL ART IS TRASH.
Patrons can be trash as well. KAWS is wildly successful yet is panned by critics.

nothing's been the since same

miff

• Rep: -7
« Reply #52 on: March 30, 2020, 03:38:30 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

Ultimately, with any provided amount of time, you could produce any type of art. Gonz art can be called easy,  but it's his signature form of drawing... he does it, that's what's important to it. Trend occurs, we get graphics of all types representing deck or clothing companies etc. Gonz and many others have coined the sketch look. The simple form works, in the most basic basic terms. It's not overthought at all. So in an attempt to "change my mind", it's good because it isn't overthought while achieving the goal of being a board graphic.

bigdave

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 179
« Reply #53 on: March 30, 2020, 03:42:25 PM »
It's perfectly fine not to like Gonz' art. I can understand it. Some I like, some I don't. It doesn't make a huge impact on my life either way.

Change your mind? Fuck off. That aint in the job description.
ok thanks

SHARPSHOOTER

• Rep: -306
  • Bret Hart
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #54 on: March 30, 2020, 03:55:52 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

RETNA, Spy, Banksy are all crushing it
My guy stencils aren’t art. Banksy sucks and street art is the world part of art. Embarrassing how accepting they are of it yet fucking hate graffiti no matter how good or complex a burner can be.

os89

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1182
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #55 on: March 30, 2020, 04:02:49 PM »

SatanicPanic

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 208
« Reply #56 on: March 30, 2020, 04:15:46 PM »
Trash art has a poster child and thats Jeff Koons. BUT anyone who separates rich idiots from their money for something they made is OK in my book.

vindogg

« Reply #57 on: March 30, 2020, 04:24:59 PM »
I think it will be interesting to see if his art 'career' will survive the virus. I'm not so sure a lot of his gallery patrons and purchasers will be so willing or able to purchase/display art from now on. His work is in more jeopardy because it is seen as 'investment art', to a lot of the people who it is sold to, like someone else said. Anyway, some of you seem to associate monetary value to great art, so, what will you think when that gets thrown out the window... Again, why would you ask people on the internet to change your mind on a subjective topic?  The mind boggles

Saarinotsorry

« Reply #58 on: March 30, 2020, 04:29:35 PM »
I think it will be interesting to see if his art 'career' will survive the virus. I'm not so sure a lot of his gallery patrons and purchasers will be so willing or able to purchase/display art from now on. His work is in more jeopardy because it is seen as 'investment art', to a lot of the people who it is sold to, like someone else said. Anyway, some of you seem to associate monetary value to great art, so, what will you think when that gets thrown out the window... Again, why would you ask people on the internet to change your mind on a subjective topic?  The mind boggles

I started this thread with the intention of discovering other peoples opinion on the subject.

skatingisntspecialstupid

• Rep: 59
« Reply #59 on: March 30, 2020, 04:34:19 PM »
I always thought the point and appeal of Gonz is exactly that hes hustling everyone and avoiding real jobs. Like the quality of the art is irrelevant.
Don’t dip your head in or your board will end up behind you