Author Topic: 2020 unpopular opinion thread  (Read 108394 times)

DarthDingusMaximus

Re: 2020 unpopular opinion thread
« Reply #420 on: May 03, 2020, 08:20:07 AM »
Nirvana rules and Nevermind was a huge deal for alternative music. I don't think linking all those shitty bands to them is very fair because you could do that for literally any past influential band at any point in history. Dave Grohl was a big DC hardcore guy but I'm not gonna blame Minor Threat for Foo Fighters lol.

But on that note, I think Dave Grohl kinda sucks.
Thank you, he has started to become Bono and holy shit I hate that prick so much.

gsosa

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 293
« Reply #421 on: May 03, 2020, 08:34:56 AM »
Mark Baines has shit style

BieberStance

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -18
« Reply #422 on: May 03, 2020, 01:49:35 PM »
Rick and Morty is dumb

i feel you there

Saint Coke

« Reply #423 on: May 03, 2020, 01:51:02 PM »
There are a few nirvana songs I like but it's turned into a hot topic brand. Defeats what I think what was the point of Nirvana.

Swithflip

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -748
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #424 on: May 03, 2020, 01:52:41 PM »
To me Hole was better than Nirvana. Maybe is Appleyard influence.

rosemaryBB

• Rep: 36
« Reply #425 on: May 03, 2020, 04:04:00 PM »
Expand Quote
I thought the Beastie Boys doc sucked. And they were the soundtrack to my skatelife 85-95.
[close]

I’m a fan, but objectively they are not great musicians and the only flow they managed to make work was ‘Ch-Check it Out’, where they finally found an off-kilter cadence that tied up their amateurish rhyming with Jr High school humor, and faux-old school beats and made it work perfectly, and sound like something of their own.

Everything else has parts of good songs. Some have great beats ahead of their time (Paul’s Boutique and Check your head), some have good rhyming (but usually mitigated by nasally high voices) but mostly they sound second-rate at everything they did.

That amateurish approach was endearing, but not anything near the skill and quality that came from all other areas of rap.

There's good rhymes on basically every album from Paul's Boutique to Hello Nasty, mainly in the Paul's Boutique, Check Your Head, Ill Communication era. Specifically MCA had solid flow a lot of times. I would definitely not call it amateurish, just their own thing. Honestly for the late 80's and early 90's they were kinda on point - unless we're talking Tribe, De La Soul, or Public Enemy or something the rapping was probably kinda trash. We still had like LL Cool J type shit and Run DMC. This was a few years before Nas, Biggie, and Wu revolutionized shit. Fucking A the Beastie Boys had more solid flow than most of the guys in NWA.

too fakie

• Rep: 63
« Reply #426 on: May 03, 2020, 04:39:54 PM »
Nirvana rules and Nevermind was a huge deal for alternative music. I don't think linking all those shitty bands to them is very fair because you could do that for literally any past influential band at any point in history. Dave Grohl was a big DC hardcore guy but I'm not gonna blame Minor Threat for Foo Fighters lol.

I agree with you to some extent. If you draw a long enough line, then we can attribute any band under a “rock” umbrella to Chuck Berry, and that doesn’t do much to explain a lot of what is going on in music. That’s why my Nirvana to Nickelback argument requires a much short line.

In the case of Nirvana, and to be fair we could really be talking about grunge music in general, they made a lot money for record labels in the early 90s. If I’m an A&R guy in the mid 90s, I’m just desperate to catch lightning in the bottle the same way labels did a few years earlier with grunge. So what does that lead me to do? Sign another heavier sounding rock band led by a singer with a groaning vocal, like Nickelback. It doesn’t have to be as good or as influential as Nirvana if it can pay the bills like Nirvana.

As for the Foo Fighters/Minor Threat thing, I agree. You don’t blame Minor Threat for The Foo Fighters just because Dave Grohl came up in the same scene. To me, those bands don’t really have as much in common stylistically. Lemmy was a huge Beatles fan but that’s not something you’d expect from listening to Motörhead.

pizzafliptofakie

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1962
« Reply #427 on: May 03, 2020, 04:47:44 PM »
Grunge itself was a product of its time, but Nevermind really blew the door open for punk-adjacent bands to get exposure beyond their niche audiences. Even bands that have nothing to do with grunge cited a day and night change in their own audiences after Nevermind came out. It bums me out to know bands like Puddle Of Mud consider Nirvana such an influence cuz their singer seems like a misogynistic bonehead and Kurt was very much against that.

Though, a funny note about linking bands is that Nirvana’s biggest influence were the Melvins, but anytime any calls them the “godfathers of grunge” they always respond with “hey, don’t blame us for that”.

Dong Hanglo

• Rep: 34
« Reply #428 on: May 03, 2020, 05:40:35 PM »
What did Courtney Love say just before she shot Kurt in the face with a shotgun?

"Hole is gunna' be huge."

Szechuan

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 219
  • BadDreams nightmarecollective.
    • BadDreams nightmarecollective. 📺 avatar image
« Reply #429 on: May 03, 2020, 06:25:46 PM »
Grunge itself was a product of its time, but Nevermind really blew the door open for punk-adjacent bands to get exposure beyond their niche audiences. Even bands that have nothing to do with grunge cited a day and night change in their own audiences after Nevermind came out. It bums me out to know bands like Puddle Of Mud consider Nirvana such an influence cuz their singer seems like a misogynistic bonehead and Kurt was very much against that.

Though, a funny note about linking bands is that Nirvana’s biggest influence were the Melvins, but anytime any calls them the “godfathers of grunge” they always respond with “hey, don’t blame us for that”.
Didn't mark arm say he was sorry for creating modern butt rock?

SHARPSHOOTER

• Rep: -306
  • Bret Hart
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #430 on: May 03, 2020, 06:33:10 PM »
I’m kinda over multi kink rail 5050s... feel like skating is reaching rollerblade territory

MyUserName

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 178
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #431 on: May 03, 2020, 06:35:58 PM »
I’m kinda over multi kink rail 5050s... feel like skating is reaching rollerblade territory

Get off the computer, Bobby Puleo.

SHARPSHOOTER

• Rep: -306
  • Bret Hart
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #432 on: May 03, 2020, 07:01:17 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Get off the computer, Bobby Puleo.
Don’t get me wrong I fucking love handrail destruction but something about standing straight legged, locked in 5050 on a down across down across down across x 2 rail, just doesn’t sit with me right.

CrumblingInfrastructure

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 312
« Reply #433 on: May 03, 2020, 09:13:21 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Nirvana is over fucking rated
[close]

Totally. I’ve gotten into a few friendly arguments over my theory that you can draw a line from Nirvana in the early 90s to a lot of terrible bands that came after, like Nickelback. Not comparing talent, worth, or quality. Just simply saying that Nickelback probably never ends up on the radio if it weren’t for Nirvana.
[close]

let’s not even get started on how much of a disappointment Dave Grohl turned out to be

Oh man this just reminded me,

From 18-20 I worked at this Leather/Fetish shop on capitol hill. Dave Grohl came in one day and bought some crazy shit. He was super nice and we talked about UFOs and stuff. I think this was around 2012-13 and he wrote his youtube channel down on a receipt for me. I dunno if hes still putting stuff on it but it was called O W L E G G S.

BieberStance

« Reply #434 on: May 04, 2020, 01:39:59 AM »
Puddle of Mud is basically Cody McEntire as a band.

WobbleHeadBob

• Rep: 80
« Reply #435 on: May 04, 2020, 04:13:25 AM »

elaborate?

dooley

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 43
« Reply #436 on: May 04, 2020, 07:33:18 AM »
I thought Cody McEntire was Creed or Hoobastank. Lifehouse is also a possibility.

Rocco Siffredi

« Reply #437 on: May 04, 2020, 02:01:00 PM »

hitman speaks truth

once those trucks are locked the trick is sorta over for the viewer... fun as shit for rider tho

Jehoshaphat Augustus

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 297
« Reply #438 on: May 04, 2020, 03:09:30 PM »
slow motion footage is outdated, unnecessary, and vain.
nobody says “rootin tootin” anymore to describe how gas the session was and it makes me sick

Szechuan

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #439 on: May 04, 2020, 03:22:17 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
I thought Cody McEntire was Creed or Hoobastank. Lifehouse is also a possibility.
The real question is who is Coal Chamber or Mushroomhead?

Szechuan

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #440 on: May 04, 2020, 03:27:57 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I agree with you to some extent. If you draw a long enough line, then we can attribute any band under a “rock” umbrella to Chuck Berry, and that doesn’t do much to explain a lot of what is going on in music. That’s why my Nirvana to Nickelback argument requires a much short line.

In the case of Nirvana, and to be fair we could really be talking about grunge music in general, they made a lot money for record labels in the early 90s. If I’m an A&R guy in the mid 90s, I’m just desperate to catch lightning in the bottle the same way labels did a few years earlier with grunge. So what does that lead me to do? Sign another heavier sounding rock band led by a singer with a groaning vocal, like Nickelback. It doesn’t have to be as good or as influential as Nirvana if it can pay the bills like Nirvana.

As for the Foo Fighters/Minor Threat thing, I agree. You don’t blame Minor Threat for The Foo Fighters just because Dave Grohl came up in the same scene. To me, those bands don’t really have as much in common stylistically. Lemmy was a huge Beatles fan but that’s not something you’d expect from listening to Motörhead.
So without Chuck Berry there would be no Buck Cherry? Interesting. Both fond of chicks on toilets, lines up.

authentic_creed_bratton

• Rep: 36
« Reply #441 on: May 04, 2020, 04:48:10 PM »
pubic hair belongs on the tip of the penis
🤙

jgonzalez

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 785
  • no not never. looser.
    • JGonz4ever avatar image
« Reply #442 on: May 04, 2020, 04:59:33 PM »
pubic hair belongs on the tip of the penis
oppenheim's cock.

nothing's been the since same

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1120
« Reply #443 on: May 04, 2020, 05:33:19 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Nirvana is over fucking rated
[close]

Totally. I’ve gotten into a few friendly arguments over my theory that you can draw a line from Nirvana in the early 90s to a lot of terrible bands that came after, like Nickelback. Not comparing talent, worth, or quality. Just simply saying that Nickelback probably never ends up on the radio if it weren’t for Nirvana.
[close]

let’s not even get started on how much of a disappointment Dave Grohl turned out to be
[close]

Oh man this just reminded me,

From 18-20 I worked at this Leather/Fetish shop on capitol hill. Dave Grohl came in one day and bought some crazy shit. He was super nice and we talked about UFOs and stuff. I think this was around 2012-13 and he wrote his youtube channel down on a receipt for me. I dunno if hes still putting stuff on it but it was called O W L E G G S.

What was a the same of the shop?

BieberStance

« Reply #444 on: May 05, 2020, 06:27:15 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

Coal Chamber is Todd Falcon

Sleazy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 266
  • tiger style
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #445 on: May 05, 2020, 06:53:13 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]
[close]

Coal Chamber is Todd Falcon

Oh my god, YES! LOL

i find the whole argument that

"well all these shitty bands copied that style"

to be so weak. i guess it's just one generation not getting the previous generations "you had to be there" moments.

no amount of shitty liimp biscuit songs could make me not dig this track

Banned from the room

« Reply #446 on: May 05, 2020, 07:44:50 AM »
I like Dill.
I close my eyes and it's almost like listening to Olson on helium. Slightly more woke though. Like wake and bake woke.

Any way I watched that interview. The entire thing. We think about a lot of the same shit.

He said he hates slap and will never read this but

You should not talk about skid row from a place of privilege. That was not fucking going well at all then he swooped back to 9/11... I think it was unintentional to switch subjects and then try and tie those two together

I should make a nein club compilation of them just bashing the homeless.

They mostly crob seem to hate the homeless.

Also Your the fucking weirdo Jason. Slap rules. It's the only online thing I like honestly. The good the bad the ugly.

That Adidas shoe the test#2 is going to slay. I'm definitely interested in that.
The first shoe will likely do better I think. That robotech lookin shit is popping

Second unpopular opinion like like Leo Baker. I really wish I had that orange F4 with the rose graphics in my collection. I'm not fucking with zoomers tho and I can't even afford a coffee.

Third I miss being able to pick up cigarettes and roaches off the ground and eating donuts and stuff from the trash or whatever. If you see someone outside with a coffee cup on a long stick all masked and gloves and shit plz give them some change.

Your trash has become inedible

Mike Oxwelling

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 30
« Reply #447 on: May 05, 2020, 09:07:45 AM »
Any of mine seem to piss of the guy kooking me for posting anything.  I'd love to know what opinion of mine has got them on a kook bender.      So I thought I'd give 'em a little bump of kookable comment and make their life feel more complete.   

Lenny the Fatface

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 330
« Reply #448 on: May 05, 2020, 10:10:47 AM »

That Adidas shoe the test#2 is going to slay. I'm definitely interested in that.
The first shoe will likely do better I think. That robotech lookin shit is popping

Both shoes look pretty good.

Any of mine seem to piss of the guy kooking me for posting anything.  I'd love to know what opinion of mine has got them on a kook bender.      So I thought I'd give 'em a little bump of kookable comment and make their life feel more complete.   

From time to time I do get curious about what posts did someone kook me on. If they disagreed with me or thought what I said was trolling then a kook + rebuttal would be sick. A kook by itself feels empty lol.

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #449 on: May 05, 2020, 01:26:11 PM »
I like Dill.
I close my eyes and it's almost like listening to Olson on helium. Slightly more woke though. Like wake and bake woke.

Any way I watched that interview. The entire thing. We think about a lot of the same shit.

He said he hates slap and will never read this but

You should not talk about skid row from a place of privilege. That was not fucking going well at all then he swooped back to 9/11... I think it was unintentional to switch subjects and then try and tie those two together

I should make a nein club compilation of them just bashing the homeless.

They mostly crob seem to hate the homeless.

Also Your the fucking weirdo Jason. Slap rules. It's the only online thing I like honestly. The good the bad the ugly.

Second unpopular opinion like like Leo Baker. I really wish I had that orange F4 with the rose graphics in my collection. I'm not fucking with zoomers tho and I can't even afford a coffee.

Third I miss being able to pick up cigarettes and roaches off the ground and eating donuts and stuff from the trash or whatever. If you see someone outside with a coffee cup on a long stick all masked and gloves and shit plz give them some change.

Your trash has become inedible

Dill will always be a top 3 favorite skater for me. His Trilogy and Photosynthesis parts rule, and his couple tricks in Industrial Light and Magic got me more hyped than anything in recent years.