Author Topic: 2020 unpopular opinion thread  (Read 108344 times)

Spacetravelisboring

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -422
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
Re: 2020 unpopular opinion thread
« Reply #480 on: May 07, 2020, 09:47:37 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I thought the Beastie Boys doc sucked. And they were the soundtrack to my skatelife 85-95.
[close]

I’m a fan, but objectively they are not great musicians and the only flow they managed to make work was ‘Ch-Check it Out’, where they finally found an off-kilter cadence that tied up their amateurish rhyming with Jr High school humor, and faux-old school beats and made it work perfectly, and sound like something of their own.

Everything else has parts of good songs. Some have great beats ahead of their time (Paul’s Boutique and Check your head), some have good rhyming (but usually mitigated by nasally high voices) but mostly they sound second-rate at everything they did.

That amateurish approach was endearing, but not anything near the skill and quality that came from all other areas of rap.
[close]

There's good rhymes on basically every album from Paul's Boutique to Hello Nasty, mainly in the Paul's Boutique, Check Your Head, Ill Communication era. Specifically MCA had solid flow a lot of times. I would definitely not call it amateurish, just their own thing. Honestly for the late 80's and early 90's they were kinda on point - unless we're talking Tribe, De La Soul, or Public Enemy or something the rapping was probably kinda trash. We still had like LL Cool J type shit and Run DMC. This was a few years before Nas, Biggie, and Wu revolutionized shit. Fucking A the Beastie Boys had more solid flow than most of the guys in NWA.
[close]

Have you ever considered different ways to listen to music other than the radio?? you know about cd's and mixtapes-demos I assume?  The late 80's to early 90's is the highest point in history for this genre of music, from NYC to the south all the way to the west. There's more to rap than a highschool mixtape made out of the same 11 songs everyone has heard. Forget about "revolution", its called Progression.
[close]

This, Nas style of rhymes already was made by Rakim and Kool G Rap in late 80s.
Beastie boys is overrated and white privilege. How many black groups was better and  hadnt the same recognition. Tribe, de la soul and the roots are better but underrated bands.

Don't make it racial dude

BieberStance

• Rep: -18
« Reply #481 on: May 07, 2020, 11:28:05 AM »
Breaking Bad was a dumb show too. My bad, I know the last episode was almost seven years ago.

i feel the same. better call saul is way better and absolutely worth watching tho!

Saint Coke

« Reply #482 on: May 07, 2020, 12:16:17 PM »
Gonz now is annoying. Gonz in video days was A1

Saint Coke

« Reply #483 on: May 07, 2020, 12:17:11 PM »
I'm sure this will get me kooked but Joe Biden is a pedo.

johnes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -238
« Reply #484 on: May 07, 2020, 12:27:46 PM »
I just finished Breaking Bad last week and thought it was amazing, although my standard for good TV is pretty low and I've seen fuck all series
Breaking Bad is great, I watch the series ever couple of months. I would recommend Vampire Diaries for you next!
Unpopular opinion: vampire diaries and all spins off fucking rule!
Oh yeah and Dexter
I’m a fat Siamese cat.

johnes

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #485 on: May 07, 2020, 12:28:44 PM »
Expand Quote
PALS who you use their special Kooking/Gnarring privileges to assert some kind of authority over non PALS are douchebags. You think anyone actually gives a shit about their “rep“ on a skateboarding forum?
[close]

I think pretty much the only time I ever Kook people is when I see them complain about Kooking, because that's the only time I remember it's a thing.
Same
I’m a fat Siamese cat.

mynameisnotjeff

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 590
« Reply #486 on: May 07, 2020, 12:30:17 PM »
I liked Breaking Bad but it’s does tend to get too slow paced. Is Better Call Saul different?
Nothing I do deserves more than an iphone camera.

BieberStance

• Rep: -18
« Reply #487 on: May 07, 2020, 12:51:01 PM »
I liked Breaking Bad but it’s does tend to get too slow paced. Is Better Call Saul different?

no ist super slow paced aswell. maybe even a bit more than breaking bad. but its escalating in awesome ways. and everything fits better together in better call saul imho.
the plot is better thought out and they have less annoying characters. its funny and fucked up and genious in a way. 

DarkPools

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 480
« Reply #488 on: May 07, 2020, 01:39:08 PM »
Nine Club podcast being quality skate content
Super Champion Fun Zone

SAH ALL DAY

« Reply #489 on: May 07, 2020, 01:42:55 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I thought the Beastie Boys doc sucked. And they were the soundtrack to my skatelife 85-95.
[close]

I’m a fan, but objectively they are not great musicians and the only flow they managed to make work was ‘Ch-Check it Out’, where they finally found an off-kilter cadence that tied up their amateurish rhyming with Jr High school humor, and faux-old school beats and made it work perfectly, and sound like something of their own.

Everything else has parts of good songs. Some have great beats ahead of their time (Paul’s Boutique and Check your head), some have good rhyming (but usually mitigated by nasally high voices) but mostly they sound second-rate at everything they did.

That amateurish approach was endearing, but not anything near the skill and quality that came from all other areas of rap.
[close]

There's good rhymes on basically every album from Paul's Boutique to Hello Nasty, mainly in the Paul's Boutique, Check Your Head, Ill Communication era. Specifically MCA had solid flow a lot of times. I would definitely not call it amateurish, just their own thing. Honestly for the late 80's and early 90's they were kinda on point - unless we're talking Tribe, De La Soul, or Public Enemy or something the rapping was probably kinda trash. We still had like LL Cool J type shit and Run DMC. This was a few years before Nas, Biggie, and Wu revolutionized shit. Fucking A the Beastie Boys had more solid flow than most of the guys in NWA.
[close]

Have you ever considered different ways to listen to music other than the radio?? you know about cd's and mixtapes-demos I assume?  The late 80's to early 90's is the highest point in history for this genre of music, from NYC to the south all the way to the west. There's more to rap than a highschool mixtape made out of the same 11 songs everyone has heard. Forget about "revolution", its called Progression.
[close]

Beastie boys is overrated and white privilege. How many black groups was better and  hadnt the same recognition. Tribe, de la soul and the roots are better but underrated bands.
[close]

His Beastie Boys comment is very ignorant.

johnes

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #490 on: May 07, 2020, 01:44:21 PM »
BCS is realllly slow paced it starts off good but quickly just gets very slow in the first two seasons.
I’m a fat Siamese cat.

dooley

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 43
« Reply #491 on: May 08, 2020, 02:54:36 PM »
It was just cheesy how there was so much dumb hype generated around it. People were filming themselves crying in groups over the last episode and all sorts of moronic shit - it's the reason I never bothered with Better Call Saul, was put off by the whole franchise. The finale with his contraption was dumb.

Going to check out Better Call Saul whenever. Thanks everyone.

Sleazy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 266
  • tiger style
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #492 on: May 08, 2020, 03:17:12 PM »
better call saul sucks, breaking bad was way, way better

the brother's foil hat character is uninteresting and gets way too much screen time

it doesn't have the pacing that breaking did. within the first 2 minutes of the first episode of breaking bad you were drawn in and wanting to know how walter got into the situation he was in and many episodes had that structure

better call saul has none of this. it didn't have the intensity. it did have the charm or charism when it came to the charaters.

i've read the reviews, i know this isn't a common opinion but this is the right thread for that.

Spacetravelisboring

« Reply #493 on: May 08, 2020, 04:02:56 PM »
better call saul sucks, breaking bad was way, way better

the brother's foil hat character is uninteresting and gets way too much screen time

it doesn't have the pacing that breaking did. within the first 2 minutes of the first episode of breaking bad you were drawn in and wanting to know how walter got into the situation he was in and many episodes had that structure

better call saul has none of this. it didn't have the intensity. it did have the charm or charism when it came to the charaters.

i've read the reviews, i know this isn't a common opinion but this is the right thread for that.

I fully agree

PENILE_JUDGEMENT

« Reply #494 on: May 08, 2020, 04:06:50 PM »
Breaking Bad sucks

computerdate

• Rep: 18
  • I hope they keep down the price of gas
« Reply #495 on: May 08, 2020, 09:55:10 PM »
Monogamy is cool

NE SEctor

• Rep: -22
« Reply #496 on: May 09, 2020, 04:09:18 AM »
I like jarnes skateboarding but i find his little skits to be kinda cringe. Anyone else ?

September_Snow

• Rep: -4
« Reply #497 on: May 09, 2020, 07:57:30 AM »
Walt Jr’s name should’ve have been Badger

Spacetravelisboring

« Reply #498 on: May 09, 2020, 08:03:22 AM »
I like jarnes skateboarding but i find his little skits to be kinda cringe. Anyone else ?

Exactly my thoughts. I sent my friend his part "never skateboard" or some shit like that and I was like " skip the intro it's stupid" he actually found the skit funny and I was confused.

WobbleHeadBob

• Rep: 80
« Reply #499 on: May 09, 2020, 08:04:44 AM »

Tear Up a Trick

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 113
« Reply #500 on: May 09, 2020, 08:05:46 AM »
60/40 Gonz > All other Gonz iterations before and after

Swithflip

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -748
« Reply #501 on: May 09, 2020, 11:30:33 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Whoaaa... Im lying, mtf? A Tribe is far better than Beastie Boys. But they are so low key.

RIP Phife Dawg.

Tear Up a Trick

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 113
« Reply #502 on: May 09, 2020, 12:55:05 PM »
It is fitting that the Banks go the way of Love and EMB.  To try to prop them up on life support would not be the same.  Let them go.  It's better this way. 

fakie nollie

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1075
« Reply #503 on: May 09, 2020, 01:05:06 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

I had a job interview at a music company in New York. Flew out there from CA for 24 hours to get grilled for 10 hours and do random tasks to verify whether I could get the job or not.

The last part of the interview was filming current team mates on my potential team and coming up with the questions. One of my questions was, "You're on a deserted island for an entire year and you can bring one album. What album is it?".

Every time I asked a new person, they first said, "What's yours?". Between 6 people, my answer was interchanged between Paul's Boutique and Hello nasty. Without fail, every time I responded, they looked at me like I was a fucking kook.

That was years ago and I still work there. To this day, I silently thank the Beastie Boys for making those albums because they were possibly the reason I got that job.

Sleazy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 266
  • tiger style
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #504 on: May 09, 2020, 08:00:10 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Whoaaa... Im lying, mtf? A Tribe is far better than Beastie Boys. But they are so low key.

RIP Phife Dawg.

Isn’t this like saying Metallica is better than sabbath? Beasties were touring with run DMc before tribe was even a thing.

weon

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 227
  • todo gratis todo gay
« Reply #505 on: May 09, 2020, 10:21:13 PM »
can’t stand Jason Lee or Gonz. Like, not even pictures.

Expand Quote
Monogamy is cool
[close]

ill second this

can’t remember where I heard it, but the fact that monogamy is so unnatural to humans, makes it all the more human. I’m a fan.
Lil' Wayne is more core than Jaden Smith.
Damn. Chico of Chocolate now Pyramids of Giza. What the hell is going on?

dallou

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 176
    • Music avatar image
« Reply #506 on: May 10, 2020, 04:04:59 AM »
I mean Beastie Boys beeing a group before Tribe does not mean anything.
some people really think that BB is a better group than Tribe called quest ?

and I like beastie boys tho
check my music

Swithflip

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -748
« Reply #507 on: May 10, 2020, 05:10:51 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

RIP Phife Dawg.
[close]

Isn’t this like saying Metallica is better than sabbath? Beasties were touring with run DMc before tribe was even a thing.

What a weird comparasion. the fact that  band is older does not mean thats better. Wu is better than Run DMC, but Metallica is not better than Sabbath.
A Tribe made 3 perfect albums in a row. You can listen all the songs without skip tracks. But beastie boys, man. They scream, dude. If you arent Busta, ODB, DMX or KRS One, dont scream, please!!

Spacetravelisboring

« Reply #508 on: May 10, 2020, 08:06:34 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

RIP Phife Dawg.
[close]

[close]

What a weird comparasion. the fact that  band is older does not mean thats better. Wu is better than Run DMC, but Metallica is not better than Sabbath.
A Tribe made 3 perfect albums in a row. You can listen all the songs without skip tracks. But beastie boys, man. They scream, dude. If you arent Busta, ODB, DMX or KRS One, dont scream, please!!

A tribe called quest was okay I guess

JamesFardy

• Rep: 62
    • Gyfcat.com avatar image
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #509 on: May 10, 2020, 09:47:58 AM »
Heath didn’t fit on Alien. May I Rest In Peace.