Author Topic: Tony Hawk on vans  (Read 33279 times)

straight fucking edge

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -173
Re: Tony Hawk on vans
« Reply #90 on: April 13, 2020, 10:49:29 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Seeings as how there was already advertising for the new proto color ways that means that a decent amount has probably already been made. The last person to leave lakai with a whole stockpile of his pro model shoe left to sell to get announced as the new rider for another shoe company got their career pretty much ruined by Carroll....  this time around though I’m not so sure if Carroll is gonna have as easy of a time ruining this persons career; let’s just say judging by his past accolades and his position in the industry and in mainstream media altogether I’m sure he’ll be just fine, even IF Carroll does a jenkem smear interview against him. TMZ tried to smear Hawk for cheating on his wife, and people still just shrugged it off, I’m sure whatever Carroll has to say probably won’t do much harm at all to this man’s reputation, if Carroll even says anything at all.

Also I swear I just seen an online ad a couple days back for an Indy x Lakai collab to specifically celebrate the fact that Riley and Tony are both on Indy; their names were both highlighted in the ad and everything. Wonder what happened with Tony and lakai? With all these shoes lakai has left to sell for Tony I can’t imagine him leaving early like Marc did and having Vans announce him early for no good reason; I doubt it was for money, he’s already got plenty of that; I wonder what else happened?   
[close]

Carrol owned the company that "the last person" rode for.  there is nothing that Carrol could do to ruin Tony's career. you're crazy
[close]
You do realize I pretty much alluded to your exact sentiment right? I even bolded it for you in the quote above so you have no choice but to not miss it this time around.

yeah sure.  the fact that the thought even entered your head is what blew me away (and still does, albeit your snarky retort)
i don't want to link to the channel because is promotes athiesm.

kneebone

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 383
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #91 on: April 13, 2020, 10:53:40 AM »
"How did Tony Hawk, the most recognizable skateboarder of all time, get announced before someone else?"

Reynolds is a legend to the skate industry, but he's not Tony Hawk.
is he tho? https://www.buzzfeed.com/stephenlaconte/tony-hawk-recognized-twitter

artskool

• Rep: 34
« Reply #92 on: April 13, 2020, 10:56:18 AM »
Tony's agent has probably had a deal circulating for years, and Vans finally was the one to bite. I'm sure Lakai was basically a homie deal.

shannamal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 354
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #93 on: April 13, 2020, 11:04:02 AM »
Expand Quote
"How did Tony Hawk, the most recognizable skateboarder of all time, get announced before someone else?"

Reynolds is a legend to the skate industry, but he's not Tony Hawk.
[close]
is he tho? https://www.buzzfeed.com/stephenlaconte/tony-hawk-recognized-twitter

name recognition is just as valuable as a face.

i don’t think any of you are real, i think slap was invented by my mom to make me think people want to talk to me

chipped tail

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -42
« Reply #94 on: April 13, 2020, 11:07:35 AM »
when lakai made the proto shoe they spent money on the tooling to create that shoe. it only makes sense for them to keep selling that shoe under different branding because the set up fee has already be paid for. same reason they kept selling the Mark shoe under a different name after he left. the first run of a shoe is less profitable then all the runs after because of the set up fee.

Also wasnt the most recent Vans pool party billed as "the last pool party"

Out_of_Step

• Rep: 2
« Reply #95 on: April 13, 2020, 11:12:18 AM »
When he signed with Lakai, I remember him saying something like that he had resisted signing with any of the big companies because he didn't want to have to deal with all the promotion that they would require of him. Wonder what kind of deal was worked out? Last year he was part of the announcing crew for the Vans Park series. Maybe that is the main bulk of "work" they will require him to do and last year was trial run to see if he wanted to be part of it?

too fakie

• Rep: 63
« Reply #96 on: April 13, 2020, 11:13:14 AM »
when lakai made the proto shoe they spent money on the tooling to create that shoe. it only makes sense for them to keep selling that shoe under different branding because the set up fee has already be paid for. same reason they kept selling the Mark shoe under a different name after he left. the first run of a shoe is less profitable then all the runs after because of the set up fee.

Also wasnt the most recent Vans pool party billed as "the last pool party"

Last one indoors. The plan was to move it over to the outdoor park in Huntington.

left knee cap

• Rep: 118
  • $$$$
« Reply #97 on: April 13, 2020, 11:15:47 AM »

ArtVandelay

« Reply #98 on: April 13, 2020, 11:17:39 AM »
Even though Lakai kinda sucks these days,  I liked the idea of Tony on a smaller brand with his own shoe. Vans is taking everybody! holy shit! I wonder if he will get a shoe.

alraunen

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 250
    • www.davidcampillo.net avatar image
« Reply #99 on: April 13, 2020, 11:23:52 AM »
I thought that the hawk/Lakai was a great and honest combo. Probably the Vans check was too good to refuse it and has something more like brand ambassador.

drewsmahgoos

• Rep: 6
« Reply #100 on: April 13, 2020, 11:28:10 AM »
I find this hilarious as I got in an argument earlier on here about TH and Lakai and  the person was spouting off how good and prosperous they were for each other and how the Hawkster was on Lakai for the love of skating.

Fuck do I love being right about something so seriously meaningless.

In all seriousness, vans kind of suck and they haven't been good for years. Maybe the Ave pro skates nice or whatever but  they're mostly cheap as fuck now. And I'm done with the Tony Hawk bandwagon. We all used to act like we hated him during the Bam being hot shit era and I'm all for going back to that.

McBrandt

• Rep: -14
« Reply #101 on: April 13, 2020, 11:38:35 AM »
I dunno, I'd think Tony's made his money at this point. I'd think this late in his career he wouldn't be pushing for some high dollar contract. It might be something like getting health insurance.

GuessAgain?

• Rep: 57
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #102 on: April 13, 2020, 11:48:02 AM »
This makes sense, I'm sure they will sell a hefty amount shoes if he gets a pro model. Vans is the only big shoe brand associated with skateboarding to the average person, so having the most widely known skater is just a double whammy. Think that's where lakai thought the sales would fly in but if the general publics perception of lakai is anything like my none-skate friends then it just looks like a discount store brand.

I bet if you asked 90% of people on the street what shoe brand Tony Hawk skates for they would have said Vans anyway haha

Hevonen

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 18
« Reply #103 on: April 13, 2020, 11:59:19 AM »
Tony on Vans never even crossed my mind, but somehow works perfectly

Chrisskates808

« Reply #104 on: April 13, 2020, 12:19:54 PM »
How did this get an official announcement before Reynolds?
Dude right!!!? I didn’t think Tony was going to vans but at the same time not surprised because it’d be better for him. I haven’t heard much from lakai a lot lately so it definitely must have to do with money.

Chrisskates808

« Reply #105 on: April 13, 2020, 12:22:25 PM »
I wonder what happened with Lakai?
Not sure but I definitely haven’t heard much from Lakai lately. Must have to do with money. Stoked for him

squintharder

« Reply #106 on: April 13, 2020, 12:26:02 PM »
Ran out of money probably and his shoe was sluggish and Lakai didn’t see the revenue return it hoped for.

Money i bet. Also awful sales on that trainwreck of a pro shoe

Watson

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2327
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #107 on: April 13, 2020, 12:27:49 PM »
We all used to act like we hated him during the Bam being hot shit era

No.

Yonnycage

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -109
« Reply #108 on: April 13, 2020, 12:32:34 PM »
Fuckin just ordered his Lakai shoe last night lol how much you guys think I’ll get for it in 5-10 years?

Bristol_Palin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 544
« Reply #109 on: April 13, 2020, 12:33:19 PM »
Tony Hawk is cool. I like this.

os89

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1182
« Reply #110 on: April 13, 2020, 12:35:41 PM »
Fuckin just ordered his Lakai shoe last night lol how much you guys think I’ll get for it in 5-10 years?

about tree fiddy

Bucketguy

• Rep: 19
« Reply #111 on: April 13, 2020, 12:36:58 PM »
Him and Reynolds won’t get pro shoes. Maybe a color way here and there. That’s it. They’ll push the “classics”

yourbreakfsat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 784
« Reply #112 on: April 13, 2020, 12:45:28 PM »
LAKAI ON SUICIDE WATCH LAKAI ON SUICIDE WATCH LAKAI ON SUICIDE WATCH

Ass

• Rep: 0
« Reply #113 on: April 13, 2020, 12:48:44 PM »
I love how a lot of pros are falling back onto trying to get on Vans then they just put tony hawk on for the hell of it. The team is already so big yet their's lesser name pros still posting with @vansskate on their posts like it's going to get them on

yourbreakfsat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 784
« Reply #114 on: April 13, 2020, 12:58:46 PM »

Probably nothing if it isn't the first release with the original box in DS

imposter

• Rep: -63
« Reply #115 on: April 13, 2020, 01:02:48 PM »
I'm starting to feel bad for Mike Carroll the guys pretty much losing everything

DannyDee

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 249
« Reply #116 on: April 13, 2020, 01:04:34 PM »
I love how a lot of pros are falling back onto trying to get on Vans then they just put tony hawk on for the hell of it. The team is already so big yet their's lesser name pros still posting with @vansskate on their posts like it's going to get them on
They may not be fully on (or ever get fully on), but Vans may throw them some travel money and a bit of cash for doing things like that. Nike and Adidas do that for a bunch of skaters who aren't officially on.

Alois Hitler Jr.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -389
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
  • User is banned from postingMuted
« Reply #117 on: April 13, 2020, 01:10:44 PM »
Nothing looks good on this man...not even sk8 hi’s
9/11 was a national tragedy

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1144
« Reply #118 on: April 13, 2020, 01:28:53 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Probably nothing if it isn't the first release with the original box in DS

This colorway dope, wish I had these

camel filters

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1315
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #119 on: April 13, 2020, 01:31:58 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
They may not be fully on (or ever get fully on), but Vans may throw them some travel money and a bit of cash for doing things like that. Nike and Adidas do that for a bunch of skaters who aren't officially on.
[close]

I'd say he's "fully on", unlike say, Reynolds.
Untitled by , on Flickr
He's on. Theyre just making him film a stay gold length part as opposed to Tony's single trick ad.