Author Topic: How does the wheel base length affect the feel of the board? or anything  (Read 4642 times)

PENILE_JUDGEMENT

I've never paid attention to wheel base when choosing a deck, just width.  What are the benefits of a long or short wheel base?  Which do you prefer and why?

thanks

Skart

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -33
  • Ham control
I notice it takes more effort to kickturn and ollie with longer wheelbases. Especially if I'm returning after not riding for a while

More stability at higher speeds as well but it's still a skateboard, nothing magic

Finding your size to fit your stance. Or just adapt to what you have.. All the major detail heads do more shopping than skating
i need a break from this thread dawg. knowledge doesnt feel like power anymore

Youoverthere

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 166
I feel like this question keeps comin’ up every month or so just use the search bar instead of making a new thread.

it must be crazy when chico sells you something and the tables switch from "give me my money chico" to "giving my money to chico"

PENILE_JUDGEMENT

I feel like this question keeps comin’ up every month or so just use the search bar instead of making a new thread.

There's general conversation of wheelbase dims, but a direct thread doesn't show up and still gives me no answers.  Search just shows people mentioning 14in wheelbases and I have no idea if that's considered long or short

Christmas Complete

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 816
  • You better shut up, Don
Measure your erect penis and multiply that times 2. That should be your optimum wheelbase.
Andy Anderson, I cannot sanction your buffoonery.

PENILE_JUDGEMENT

haha fuck im getting hard just thinking about it

Christmas Complete

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 816
  • You better shut up, Don
Forgot to say; if you have a smaller penis, you may need to add the width (not girth) to the total to get the correct measurement.
Andy Anderson, I cannot sanction your buffoonery.

keepthefunkalive

• Rep: 130
pretty sure there's a ben degros video somewhere on yt about this. send him a dick pic and he might just give you some constructive criticism too. He seems like a helpful guy

Skart

• Rep: -33
  • Ham control
There's wheelbase breakdowns before ben. Pretty tired of that dude
i need a break from this thread dawg. knowledge doesnt feel like power anymore

YungJugg

• Rep: 228

As informative as some of his videos may be, he’s the type of dude to say that a diff set of bearings completely changed the shape of the board. Skate nerds getting a lil relentless with their “madness”. People think they’re not getting slappys because their wheels are 52mm and not 53.

Rory Milanes didn’t even know what wheelbase is in the Thrasher May issue ffs.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2020, 01:43:59 PM by YungJugg »

JudoOrigami

• Rep: -90
shorter wheelbase give u more room for noseslides and tailslides thats the only possible difference

Davethedavedave

• Rep: -101
pretty sure there's a ben degros video somewhere on yt about this. send him a dick pic and he might just give you some constructive criticism too. He seems like a helpful guy

sgm06sti

• Rep: 2
I wouldn’t call myself a skate nerd but some of these posts were spot on haha. I was so nervous buying X would make it so much harder to learn skating.

Thanks for the laughs and yeah Ben is good but  a bit over the top.

hereticx

• Rep: 0
  • pro filmer

this. this right here my friends
Panasonic HC-X1500
62mm Opteka Fisheye

GBLange

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 276
Don't go down the wheelbase rabbit hole

pizzafliptofakie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1962

In OP’s defense the search bar sucks mangled donkey ass and is generally not very helpful.

PENILE_JUDGEMENT

Expand Quote
[close]

In OP’s defense the search bar sucks mangled donkey ass and is generally not very helpful.

Yeah, I never really ventured into the Shoes & Gear section until after I started this thread so its on me.  Since then I got the Mason Silva Real board that has a 14" wheelbase.

Nigel Houston

It really depends on how tall you are. If you're above 6 feet, a longer wheelbase will provide a more stable ride.

Vert skaters also prefer longer wheelbases for stability at high speeds.

BALARGUE

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 660
    • Balargue Skateshop avatar image
Expand Quote
[close]

As informative as some of his videos may be, he’s the type of dude to say that a diff set of bearings completely changed the shape of the board. Skate nerds getting a lil relentless with their “madness”. People think they’re not getting slappys because their wheels are 52mm and not 53.

Rory Milanes didn’t even know what wheelbase is in the Thrasher May issue ffs.

Being on a board allday, probably paid to do it and not knowing about wb and the benefit of it makes Rory a dumb skater.

The caricature of Ben is wrong. He's on point most of the time.
Him getting deep into it makes up for all the uninformed skaters / youtubers spreading bullshit about how they "feel" on the board
« Last Edit: July 10, 2020, 04:50:45 AM by BALARGUE »

BALARGUE

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 660
    • Balargue Skateshop avatar image
shorter wheelbase give u more room for noseslides and tailslides thats the only possible difference

no it has nothing to do with nose and tail shapes and dimensions
except if you compare 2 boards of the same length but with different wheelbases

OP you really have to try different wheelbases to find what suits you.
But usually taller skaters go for longer wb, and vice versa.
But it really depends on your stance ( length of your legs, overall posture and feel. etc.)
Shorter wb gives you a more playful board, with quicker turns imo. That's what i go for (i'm 1.80m)

14.25" is some sort of standard for a classic 8.25". I go for 14" when possible

wheelbase, nose and tail dimensions and angles seem to be way more important than width
« Last Edit: July 10, 2020, 04:34:08 AM by BALARGUE »

bigmike

• Rep: 11
Most “normal” boards run anywhere from 14-15.5” in wheelbase length. A shorter wheel base ~generally~ gives you a little more control for flipping and manipulating your board. You could probably say that, for most people these days who want to skate everything, that it’s beneficial to err on the side of the smallest comfortable wheel base for that person, since this would give you a good balance between stability and control.

Longer wheel bases hug transition better. You can pump harder up a wall or through a corner with less effort. You might see old heads who started back in the 70s or 80s riding “longboards” with a total board length of 36-40+” and likely strictly skating bowls with them. The extra wheelbase opens up lines that someone on a “normal” board might find hard to reach.

There’s an older skater where I grew up who can carve grind the same pocket of a 9’ bowl twice in a row without hitting any adjoining walls. It looks like magic but it mostly stems from the long wheelbase allowing for stronger pumps. He does lines nobody else at the park could pull with a shorter board. However, you’d be hard pressed to pull off a trick like a nose blunt that requires a wide stance on his 40” setups. There’s a place for both, depending on what you like to ride

TL:DR short wheelbase good control, long wheelbase good pump

fraction

• Rep: -2
The reason why street skaters will skate a 14" to 14.5"ish wheel bases is because it's easier to turn, while vert skaters who ride a 15" wheelbase because it's harder to turn. Think about it like this. What's more likely to turn faster? A Mini Cooper or a Ford F150. The Mini Cooper. When you're going that fast skating a vert ramp, you don't want to skate something that is squirrelly. Also, its easier to skate shorter boards if you're not as tall. If your legs don't match the wheelbase and length, it's gonna be a hard board to skate.