Author Topic: Israel's right to exist  (Read 14373 times)

AnotherHardDayAtTheOffice

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -7
Re: Israel's right to exist
« Reply #60 on: April 21, 2020, 03:13:50 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
This is a topic that nobody wants to touch with a ten foot pole. Nobody wants to be critical of the Jewish state of Israel, in fear of being labelled anti Semitic.  You can't speak in absolutes on both sides, neither the Palestinians nor the Israelite are perfect, and it is hard to look at the big picture.
Israel wins all the wars and has gained almost the entire territory because they receive US and western military backing in the form of "aid".  When  Palestine receives military aid from Arab countries it is viewed internationally as "terrorism"
I feel terrible for the people of Palestine. I feel like Israel has done to the Palestinians as was done to them in the early 20th century. History repeating itself.
I figured Jared would have had this figured out by now.

religion is so fucking stupid and divisive, fuck all religion.
[close]

Exactly. Why are freedom fighters/resistors considered terrorists? How can they be lumped into the same category as ISIS who specifically try to dominate and conquer. Palestinians only 'fight' to protect their land, rights and liberties.
[close]

I’ve been trying to stay out of this, but I feel the following statement is innocuous: they are not universally considered terrorists. I believe you are interpreting this through the filter of western media, but I may be mistaken.
[close]

Hamas and Hezbollah are labelled as terrorists when reacting to attacks on their countries freedom. There would be no Hamas if it wasn't for Israel.

I'm not sure it's that simple. No matter what you think of Israel and independent of whether both of them should be labelled terrorists, both Hamas and Hezbollah are quite problematic and not exactly what I understand as "freedom fighters".

Hezbollah has been fighting along Assad's army in the Syrian Civil War and is responsible for the killing of thousands of Syrians. Hezbollah is a proxy of Iran not just in the conflict with Israel but also in the conflict between Shia and Sunni Islam. Hezbollah was involved in the killing of former Lebanese PM Rafic Hariri. Hezbollah is responsible for the killing of numerous civilians and diplomats.

Hamas originated as the Palestinian branch of the Muslim Brotherhood. Article 7 of their charter supports the murder of any Jew (not Israelis specifically, Jews in general). Hamas has been responsible for the murder of hundreds of Israeli civilians (not just soldiers).

It is true that not all countries condemn Hezbollah and Hamas. Among these states are China, Russia, and Turkey: authoritarian dictatorships with strong anti-Western views.

I think Israel's treatment of the Palestinian population in Gaza and the West Bank is cruel and inhumane. However, in my eyes that does not mean that Hamas and Hezbollah are the good guys just because they fight Israel. I think both organisations are part of the problem, not part of the solution.

lavrentiy

« Reply #61 on: April 21, 2020, 06:35:11 AM »
you're french which means you're just a USA ass-licker. there is no such thing as french political sovereignty, France is a US vassal and roughly 90% of your mainstream media is controlled by Washington DC. so of course you'll be pro Israel. your NATO military will also be the first to go bomb a sovereign middle eastern country under US orders since, as you said they don't have democracy. Your western empire will not stop overthrowing every country whose resources and strategic positions aren't exploited by the US until they are all as democratic as your friends in Saudi Arabia.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2020, 08:05:51 AM by lavrentiy »

JANUS

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 625
« Reply #62 on: April 21, 2020, 07:54:47 AM »
^that’s more along the lines of what I was expecting in here.
If you can't handle me at my Marc Johnson, you don't deserve me at my Bobby Puleo.

Banned from the room

« Reply #63 on: April 21, 2020, 08:11:59 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
This is a topic that nobody wants to touch with a ten foot pole. Nobody wants to be critical of the Jewish state of Israel, in fear of being labelled anti Semitic.  You can't speak in absolutes on both sides, neither the Palestinians nor the Israelite are perfect, and it is hard to look at the big picture.
Israel wins all the wars and has gained almost the entire territory because they receive US and western military backing in the form of "aid".  When  Palestine receives military aid from Arab countries it is viewed internationally as "terrorism"
I feel terrible for the people of Palestine. I feel like Israel has done to the Palestinians as was done to them in the early 20th century. History repeating itself.

[close]

Exactly. Why are freedom fighters/resistors considered terrorists? How can they be lumped into the same category as ISIS who specifically try to dominate and conquer. Palestinians only 'fight' to protect their land, rights and liberties.
[close]

I’ve been trying to stay out of this, but I feel the following statement is innocuous: they are not universally considered terrorists. I believe you are interpreting this through the filter of western media, but I may be mistaken.
[close]

Hamas and Hezbollah are labelled as terrorists when reacting to attacks on their countries freedom. There would be no Hamas if it wasn't for Israel.
[close]

in general, “terrorism” is simply what wealthy and powerful countries with armies, air forces, and navies label the tactics of poorer, weaker countries who lack these kinds of resources when at war with them at whatever scale--both ways of fighting wars inevitably involve the killing of “innocent civilians,” and this is always considered acceptable...

U.S. Code Title 22 Chapter 38, Section 2656f(d) defines terrorism as:
"Premeditated, politically motivated violence perpetrated against noncombatant targets by subnational groups or clandestine agents, usually intended to influence an audience".

Basically anyone who is in resistance of western colonial policy with a gun a point of view and no official uniform post 1975

JANUS

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #64 on: April 21, 2020, 08:17:50 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

in general, “terrorism” is simply what wealthy and powerful countries with armies, air forces, and navies label the tactics of poorer, weaker countries who lack these kinds of resources when at war with them at whatever scale--both ways of fighting wars inevitably involve the killing of “innocent civilians,” and this is always considered acceptable...
[close]

"Premeditated, politically motivated violence perpetrated against noncombatant targets by subnational groups or clandestine agents, usually intended to influence an audience".

Basically anyone who is in resistance of western colonial policy with a gun a point of view and no official uniform post 1975

You got what I was putting down. These labels are dependent upon one’s cultural point of reference.

If you can't handle me at my Marc Johnson, you don't deserve me at my Bobby Puleo.

Alan

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2519
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #65 on: April 21, 2020, 08:30:02 AM »
I think we can all agree that targeting civilians is terrorism, regardless of perpetrator's motives.
Hosin' out the cab of his pickup truck
He's got his 8-track playin' really fuckin' loud

Deputy Wendell

« Reply #66 on: April 21, 2020, 08:33:25 AM »
I think we can all agree that targeting civilians is terrorism, regardless of perpetrator's motives.

...and/or resources.

Banned from the room

« Reply #67 on: April 21, 2020, 08:38:31 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

You got what I was putting down. These labels are dependent upon one’s cultural point of reference.

right on right on

drewsmahgoos

• Rep: 6
« Reply #68 on: April 21, 2020, 10:22:55 AM »
Ethno-nationalism is a bad idea, regardless of who controls the state. A jewish state shouldn't exist anymore than a christian or islamic state. Any political entity that prioritizes one religion over another is bound to oppress.

Beyond that, Israel supports illegal settlement and the oppression of one race over another due to religious favoritism. It's not a good idea. It's not working out for the majority. At one time they may not have been the aggressor, but they certainly are now. Bulldozing over peaceful protestors, shooting kids and medics, the list goes on. Any justification for this is sheer entitlement and ego that's putting one religious group over another.

disintegration

• Rep: -114
« Reply #69 on: April 21, 2020, 02:51:04 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

...and/or resources.

But the point is that Hamas wouldn't be targeting any civilians (as they would have no reason to) if Israel wasn't trying to wipe out Palestinians- which is what they are doing.

If you watch the link I provided Miko Peled tells how his sisters child was killed in an attack by Hamas in Jerusalem. The Israeli media ate it up as they expected him with his high status to condemn Palestinians but instead he stood with Palestinians and condemned Israel- as he recognises that this attack would not have happened without Israeli apartheid over Palestine.

TooOldToCare

• Rep: -53
« Reply #70 on: April 21, 2020, 05:24:52 PM »
you're french which means you're just a USA ass-licker. there is no such thing as french political sovereignty, France is a US vassal and roughly 90% of your mainstream media is controlled by Washington DC. so of course you'll be pro Israel. your NATO military will also be the first to go bomb a sovereign middle eastern country under US orders since, as you said they don't have democracy. Your western empire will not stop overthrowing every country whose resources and strategic positions aren't exploited by the US until they are all as democratic as your friends in Saudi Arabia.

must've missed a dose on your meds there, man.

Lord Viper Scorpion

« Reply #71 on: April 21, 2020, 05:25:19 PM »
this would be a pretty sick graphic, ryan lay, if you're reading

pamier

• Rep: 15
« Reply #72 on: April 21, 2020, 06:18:33 PM »
We should not be giving Israel billions in aid every year that is utilized to lobby in congress (which is illegal) to further  their aid. Which is then used to expand their religious government that prevents non-Jews from becoming proper citizens, and exploits non-Jewish workers who are forced to work for Israel as they scrutinize countries who trade with Palestine. I have nothing against a Jewish state, however if you are going to create one don't feel entitled to land because your religion says your people were entitled to this land. Hamas is terrible, and by no means a better evil, however the PLO has made reasonable efforts towards peace, although the right-wing Israeli parties choose not to make peace. The people of Israel are for the most part great people, although the government that hosts unfair elections (which are being protested) is inexcusably disgusting. Israeli actually had their own terrorist groups under Britain known as the Irgun and Lehi which massacred thousands of Palestinian children, and some British diplomants in order to achieve their "state". And guess what they were later integrated into the Israeli military (IDF) Sounds a lot like Hamas (which again is terrible just pointing out how people believe Palestine is terrible because their is a oppressive terrorist group which supposedly is fighting for Palestinian interests but takes Israeli funding to destabilize the Palestinian liberation movement via radicalization).

Fuck Hamas
Fuck the Israeli Government
Shout out to the liberal Israelis, and Palestinians who aren't a part of Hamas.

eranka

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 203
« Reply #73 on: April 22, 2020, 10:16:32 AM »
its a sad story of two nations that are steered by people who want power. most israelis and Palestinians will get along and israel has a big population of "israeli arabs" that are an integral part of society, most of my co-workers are arab. alot of palestinians used to work in Israel and with israelis before the whole region became more extreme. the people are not the problem. the problem is with assholes that gain from the situation and have an interest keeping it like that.
 the military is a multi billion dollar industry for both sides, politicians that use fear instead of giving hope in order to gain power and use religion and territory as an excuse to have more control all gain from this.

as for israel right to exist? As a jew living here i might be biased, but with the history of the jewish people its hard to argue that they dont deserve a place. and the territory israel is sitting on right now has a long history with its people. even now there is alot of anti semitism in the world and being jewish might not be too safe for you.
I know alot of people that came to Israel after being harrased or attacked in europe for being jewish. alot. my girlfriend came to israel a few years ago exactly for this reason. when she was in school in eastern europe someone punched her in the face and broke her nose for 'having a big jewish nose'.
so i truly think that jews deserve a place and israel is the only reasonable place for it.
FYI, it was discussed that israel would be set up in Uganda and all the jews would be sent there, but that plan never got far.
Israel is now sitting on a land that used be be under a british mandate called Palestine, it wasnt an arab land. before that it was under the turkish empire. arabs lived here. jews too. i live in a Bauhaus inspired building that was built in 1934 by jews (and for some reason its not on the map posted on the first page) . a few buildings from me theres an arab building with labanese influences. jews and arabs can live together, it happend before and itss happening now and it can happen with palestinians too if both sides actually tried. this region has been destabilized way before israel was even a concept because of its unique location. connecting europe, africa and asia and had access to the ocean and alot of land trade paths.

but i cannot defend what Israel is doing in the west bank. at all. and i can say that after serving there for more than a year in total in different areas as a combat medic.
an army can not and should not have control on civilians. even with the best of intentions the army is not equipped to deal with civilians. even the psychological aspect of it is dangerous. a palestinian kid that sees a soldier in full combat kit and weapons in his front yard is going to remember it and probably not in a positive light. and thats not even talking about being in his living room slapping his dad.
the IDF is a humane army (if a thing like that exists) in combat situations. ive seen the army act in war time and saw remarkable steps to not harm civilians, which is hard when youre fighting in a populated army with the tools an army has, but again, an army should not have any interaction with civilians. at all. especially when that army is made of 18-21 yo kids, that might not be smart or too equipped to handle the responsibility and power they have in their hands. and even if youre being as respectful as you can while being there, you cant really have an opened dialogue when youre carrying a gun and combat gear.
and "settlers" are the worst. the jews that take up palestinian land with the help of the government to strategically take up more land from palestinians so every future agreement will be even harder. they have the full protection of soldiers that dont like them and dont want to be there because our government is shit.
what israel is doing in the west bank right now is horrible and can no longer be excused. from a temporary solution to stop the ongoing terrorism israel went through for years to an ongoing policy of keeping it unresolved.
people just want to live and hamas and the israeli gov is keeping us in this horrible situation instead of trying to put an end to it.
we are very very far from an agreement, both sides are really divided among themselves, there is too much real fear of war and terror in people minds because of the hard history we share,  and too many shitty people have too much to gain from this ongoing mass and it will take generations of education and being exposed to each other again for it to work. 
sorry for the wall of text
« Last Edit: April 22, 2020, 10:20:19 AM by eranka »

Sidewalk Funk.

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 371
« Reply #74 on: April 22, 2020, 11:43:29 AM »

I read it all. Thanks for your insightful contribution to the thread.

Beeda Weeda

« Reply #75 on: April 22, 2020, 01:24:11 PM »
thank you, that was a good read.

OldieButFrenchie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 130
« Reply #76 on: April 22, 2020, 11:39:46 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I read it all. Thanks for your insightful contribution to the thread.

yes. Thank you for a balanced account of what it is to actually live there. Hopefully some people who tend to reason in absolutes will learn something from it.
Just as an aside, Stalin actually set up a Jewish state of sorts in the USSR: Birobidjan. But he set it up in some super isolated region close to China with shitty infrastructure and the whole thing was pretty much abandoned after the fall of the USSR.

Now just to give you guys an idea of what I mean, when I say the conflict is imported into France and give you an idea of where I'm coming from: this was a number one hit song in France in 91. Didi, by Khaled.

even famous punk bands like La Mano Negra had songs in Arabic...(sung by Jewish guys btw).

So you could say arabs are to France what latinos are to the US, in terms of numbers and cultural influence. Maybe even more so. Can you imagine a number 1 hit song sung in arabic in the US? Guess not. I've always had guys of maghrebi origin as classmates at school and France still has very close ties to the Maghreb (Algeria, Tunisia, Morocco). And I actually got spoken to in arabic quite often in the street cause I'm a tanned guy. So all this to say, it's just heartbraking to see how relations have deteriorated between communities that used to get along fine. The tipping point was around 2000, I'd say. And like Eranka said, European Jews are increasingly leaving Europe to settle in Israel, doin the "aliyah", for fear of harassment and violence. As I said before, this is a subject I had multiple real-life arguments over and I broke ties with several friends because of it. It's like there are trench lines in French society, it is a huge deal how you position yourself about that subject, especially for artists and public figures.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2020, 11:44:21 PM by OldieButFrenchie »

weon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 228
  • todo gratis todo gay
« Reply #77 on: April 23, 2020, 11:53:32 AM »
that first-hand account was tops. thank you for sharing with us eranka.

I was under the impression that the USSR was also anti-semitic, based on Marx's "On the Jewish Question" and the "incompatibility" of the "jewish chosen people" and communism? it's been years since i read that so please correct me if that's wrong.

To follow OBF's tangent, Despacito was a #1 hit in Spanish (fuck the J.Bible version tho) from Puerto Rico, whose sovereignty and US membership is a topic for a whole new discussion. So maybe that is a similar sitch?

I don't know the relationship between Maghreb arabs and Palestinians, you've mentioned ending relationships bc of this issue, what were those discussions like? what were their goals? did u manage to have a discussion like this one? I am definitely not trying to diminish the struggles of different peoples, but could this enmity in France come from differences in opportunity? Israelis struggling have the opportunity to move to Israel (which they might or might not consider "home"), but Palestinians are trying to find safety and opportunities all over the world (again, whether it's "home" or not). Chile has the largest population of Palestinians outside of the Middle East (six digits). We even have a professional futbol team called Palestino. I didn't grow up in the capital, so I only have a faint idea of the dynamics there. A random instance I remember was waiting at a traffic light when a homeless man biking around with a "Free Palestine" flag crossed the street, and the dude in the driver's seat of the car next to me got out just to yell insults at him.

I guess what I'm getting at is: where do Palestinians find respite? Could a stance supporting Israel be taken as support for the Israeli government, at least in France? The conflict being "imported" into France could also be related to previous posts' reference to the West's peoples realizing that their nations were the ones fucking up everything abroad, and stances changing based on that?

Finally, what's your take on Palestine's right to exist?
Lil' Wayne is more core than Jaden Smith.
Damn. Chico of Chocolate now Pyramids of Giza. What the hell is going on?

« Reply #78 on: April 23, 2020, 12:54:43 PM »
its a sad story of two nations that are steered by people who want power. most israelis and Palestinians will get along and israel has a big population of "israeli arabs" that are an integral part of society, most of my co-workers are arab. alot of palestinians used to work in Israel and with israelis before the whole region became more extreme. the people are not the problem. the problem is with assholes that gain from the situation and have an interest keeping it like that.
 the military is a multi billion dollar industry for both sides, politicians that use fear instead of giving hope in order to gain power and use religion and territory as an excuse to have more control all gain from this.

as for israel right to exist? As a jew living here i might be biased, but with the history of the jewish people its hard to argue that they dont deserve a place. and the territory israel is sitting on right now has a long history with its people. even now there is alot of anti semitism in the world and being jewish might not be too safe for you.
I know alot of people that came to Israel after being harrased or attacked in europe for being jewish. alot. my girlfriend came to israel a few years ago exactly for this reason. when she was in school in eastern europe someone punched her in the face and broke her nose for 'having a big jewish nose'.
so i truly think that jews deserve a place and israel is the only reasonable place for it.
FYI, it was discussed that israel would be set up in Uganda and all the jews would be sent there, but that plan never got far.
Israel is now sitting on a land that used be be under a british mandate called Palestine, it wasnt an arab land. before that it was under the turkish empire. arabs lived here. jews too. i live in a Bauhaus inspired building that was built in 1934 by jews (and for some reason its not on the map posted on the first page) . a few buildings from me theres an arab building with labanese influences. jews and arabs can live together, it happend before and itss happening now and it can happen with palestinians too if both sides actually tried. this region has been destabilized way before israel was even a concept because of its unique location. connecting europe, africa and asia and had access to the ocean and alot of land trade paths.

but i cannot defend what Israel is doing in the west bank. at all. and i can say that after serving there for more than a year in total in different areas as a combat medic.
an army can not and should not have control on civilians. even with the best of intentions the army is not equipped to deal with civilians. even the psychological aspect of it is dangerous. a palestinian kid that sees a soldier in full combat kit and weapons in his front yard is going to remember it and probably not in a positive light. and thats not even talking about being in his living room slapping his dad.
the IDF is a humane army (if a thing like that exists) in combat situations. ive seen the army act in war time and saw remarkable steps to not harm civilians, which is hard when youre fighting in a populated army with the tools an army has, but again, an army should not have any interaction with civilians. at all. especially when that army is made of 18-21 yo kids, that might not be smart or too equipped to handle the responsibility and power they have in their hands. and even if youre being as respectful as you can while being there, you cant really have an opened dialogue when youre carrying a gun and combat gear.
and "settlers" are the worst. the jews that take up palestinian land with the help of the government to strategically take up more land from palestinians so every future agreement will be even harder. they have the full protection of soldiers that dont like them and dont want to be there because our government is shit.
what israel is doing in the west bank right now is horrible and can no longer be excused. from a temporary solution to stop the ongoing terrorism israel went through for years to an ongoing policy of keeping it unresolved.
people just want to live and hamas and the israeli gov is keeping us in this horrible situation instead of trying to put an end to it.
we are very very far from an agreement, both sides are really divided among themselves, there is too much real fear of war and terror in people minds because of the hard history we share,  and too many shitty people have too much to gain from this ongoing mass and it will take generations of education and being exposed to each other again for it to work. 

Wow, what a great account of the situation in the area!

Do you think there will be a change in Israel's politics in the near future? Especially since Israel just elected a new PM.

Do you think it's possible that Israel ever withdraws from the settlements in the West Bank (like they did in Gaza)? Or has the government invested too much into the settlements and all the infrastructure around it?

eranka

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 203
« Reply #79 on: April 23, 2020, 01:31:06 PM »
Israel did have elections a few months ago and Natanyahu 'won' again with an emergency government under the threat of the virus. hes a professional at taking advantage of threats and probably the best politician israel ever had. we had 3 elections in about a year and in all election he didnt win but successfully blocked a new government to form and led us to re-elections.
he has a bunch of corruption charges floating over his head and surrounded by corrupt people.
i doubt anything changes anytime soon, israel is really divided among itself, the right wing will never vote for a left wing leader, the left wing is super divided and have no real leader, and even in the left wing some politicians wont sit in a coalition with an arab party, basically blocking any chance to form a government that actually want to change stuff. and the security threat still makes people blind to how bad things really are under the government we had in the last decade or so. sometimes it feels that people vote for parties like it was their favorite football club and its for life, they will keep voting for the same guy even when they know hes bad.
 financially israel is a mess, wages are bad and everything is super expensive, especially rent. the second we dont have the life threat over our head we will start demanding shit from our government and ask questions for how they spend our tax money.with all the money we spend on religion and demands from the religious parties that have alot of political power because their public is unified and the money we spend on the army israel could have been an amazing place. but even if israel did a complete 180 and started trying, this whole area is infected with foreign interests. from the USA to Russia and even Iran, everyone has a piece in this conflict.
 i dont have much hope for the direction israel is taking right now, alot of the world is having a rise of nationalism and stupidity right now and israel is no different. it will probably be worse before it becomes better.

right now so many people live in settlements and in areas that might be given back in the future that its going to be a big problem politically and logistically. Gaza area had about 10,000 settlers while in the west bank there are about 400,000. israel is tiny and only has about 8 million citizens, its not going to be easy. they built a few big cities that are going to be a big problem if the Palestinians wont give up that land. The government pretty much solidified israels presence in the area over a long period of right wing leadership. the scumbag that was the minister of education even built a university there. it is possible to withdraw from alot of small settlements, but a complete withdraw seems unlikely, especially with the atmosphere we have right now. even mellow people are worried that we will have buses and restaurants blowing up weekly again if we withdraw.
the best solution i can see is a complete seperation and having two states in agreed territories and that will require hard compromises from both sides. living next to a hostile nation is easier than occupying it, easier to deal with in a diplomatic manner and easier to get the worlds support if you attack it with a good reason and there is always the chance that it wont be a hostile nation and we will both gain from it. the best peace is achieved with common interests, and financially it could be amazing for both sides, and thats not talking about the increase in the quality of life and general safety.

« Last Edit: April 23, 2020, 01:35:36 PM by eranka »

iKobrakai

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -717
« Reply #80 on: April 23, 2020, 10:38:55 PM »

I was under the impression that the USSR was also anti-semitic, based on Marx's "On the Jewish Question" and the "incompatibility" of the "jewish chosen people" and communism? it's been years since i read that so please correct me if that's wrong.

In my part of Russia, Jews were no-go. My county was/is pretty stupid.

OldieButFrenchie

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #81 on: April 23, 2020, 11:49:26 PM »

To follow OBF's tangent, Despacito was a #1 hit in Spanish (fuck the J.Bible version tho) from Puerto Rico, whose sovereignty and US membership is a topic for a whole new discussion. So maybe that is a similar sitch?

I don't know the relationship between Maghreb arabs and Palestinians, you've mentioned ending relationships bc of this issue, what were those discussions like? what were their goals? did u manage to have a discussion like this one? I am definitely not trying to diminish the struggles of different peoples, but could this enmity in France come from differences in opportunity? Israelis struggling have the opportunity to move to Israel (which they might or might not consider "home"), but Palestinians are trying to find safety and opportunities all over the world (again, whether it's "home" or not). Chile has the largest population of Palestinians outside of the Middle East (six digits). We even have a professional futbol team called Palestino. I didn't grow up in the capital, so I only have a faint idea of the dynamics there. A random instance I remember was waiting at a traffic light when a homeless man biking around with a "Free Palestine" flag crossed the street, and the dude in the driver's seat of the car next to me got out just to yell insults at him.

I guess what I'm getting at is: where do Palestinians find respite? Could a stance supporting Israel be taken as support for the Israeli government, at least in France? The conflict being "imported" into France could also be related to previous posts' reference to the West's peoples realizing that their nations were the ones fucking up everything abroad, and stances changing based on that?

Finally, what's your take on Palestine's right to exist?

well ....usually no real discussion over the subject, it just gets too heated to speak rationnally. And most of the time, my argument was with white French guys that supported the Palestinian cause so blindly if fell into antisemitism. For instance, like I said, one of my childhood friends started saying he wanted to burn synagogues (that guy is not too stable but still, I was really shocked when he said that). The latest exemple was the drummer in one of the bands I play in: he's Belgian-Moroccan and started saying one night "well Jews have exagerated the Holocaust and they used it to found Israel and oppress Arabs". I cowardly just changed subject cause it's hard enough to get along musically without bringing politics into it. The problem is that these conversations start about Israel but quite often it gets into "the Jews".
A main fault line in France is how you view Dieudonné: French comedian, half-white half-black, who started his career with a Jewish partner. After splitting from that partner, he later started spewing a lot of anti-jewish rethoric (not anti-Israel, mind: anti-jewish) and going into politics. He actually became friends with the Le Pen family: founders of the Front National/Rassemblement National,  the French extreme right. Yeah, I know, it makes no sense. Anyways Dieudonné has a lot of support in the french "banlieue". And I stopped talking to quite a few friends that support him and post his shit constantly on social media. To give you an idea, Dieudonné accuses Jews of being responsible for the slave trade and is constantly pitting people against one another.

could this enmity in France come from differences in opportunity?
Yes. Arabs suffer from racism in France, probably more than anyone. But Israel has got nothing to do with it....The conflict being imported into France of course has to do with France's colonial past, so everything gets mixed up, it's a complicated situation. It just irks me so much when people act like "the west" is the only imperial power. The debate gets way oversimplified. For instance, the berbers are the original inhabitants of the maghreb, from before the arab conquest. It's a big population of about 30 millions in Algeria and Morocco and lot of them still feel like they are being colonized by Arabs and don't have the same rights. It took them 50 years of struggle after independance to see their langage (tamazigh) recognized officially by the state.

Finally and as I said before, I do not support everything Israel does, I just think there should be room for a Jewish state. And like Eranka, I think a 2-state solution is the best hope. btw Eranka, thanks again for your explanation of the situation. Especially the political climate in Israel. The sad thing is, it sounds similar to France or even the US and UK: social media has made people more polarized and extreme. Everybody follows their own media, each with its own bias and accuses the others of fake news....The French left is pretty much in the same state as the israeli left apparently: the different parties refuse to form a coalition amongst themselves and so remain in the minority.

PS: really hope to visit Chile one day! My bio father was from Chile.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2020, 01:36:23 AM by OldieButFrenchie »

Beeda Weeda

« Reply #82 on: April 24, 2020, 05:07:22 AM »
This must be the most level headed and informative conversation/thread in the history of slap.

iKobrakai

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -717
« Reply #83 on: April 24, 2020, 05:26:32 AM »
This must be the most level headed and informative conversation/thread in the history of slap.

Don't jinx it, dude. Calm right now but can explode at any time. Kind of like the street life in Jerusalem.

pugmaster

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1700
  • Overweight and Underprepared
« Reply #84 on: April 24, 2020, 07:18:16 AM »
Is anyone else reading posts with NPR voices?
"...We got the nuclear worm over here..."

Never forget:
Rusty_Berrings, 360 frip, Yapple Dapple, Bubblegum Tate

TheLurper

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 662
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #85 on: April 24, 2020, 11:30:53 PM »

I'd argue this is a misreading of Marx's essays within "On the Jewish Question," which were a response to the anti-Semitic Bauer who wrote, "The Jewish Question" in which he (Bauer) proposed that the Jews can only be emancipated when they surrender their Judaism. Marx on the other hand said Jews simply, like all human beings, had the right to equal civil/political rights, and any nation that had not emancipated the Jews = underdeveloped.

The language, especially in the second essay can easily be interpreted as anti-Semitic, but, I'd argue it is more of a fuck you to Bauer than anyone else.

Not to mention, in relation to the topic at hand (despite this writing occurring before Israel was a state), on "April 15, 1854, Marx wrote an article about Ottoman- ruled Jerusalem in which he commented, 'Nothing equals the misery and the sufferings of the Jews at Jerusalem'"

(see https://thecharnelhouse.org/wp-content/uploads/2018/03/Marcel-Stoetzler-ed.-Antisemitism-and-the-Constitution-of-Sociology-2014.pdf#page=148)

As for anti-Semitism in communism, I will always think of Ryan Gosling in The Believer when I hear criticisms of Jews. "Do we hate them because they're capitalist or because they're communist?"
« Last Edit: April 24, 2020, 11:37:00 PM by TheLurper »

Quote from: ChuckRamone
I love when people bring up world hunger. It makes everything meaningless.
"That guy is double parked."
"Who cares? There are people starving to death! Besides, how does that affect you? Does it lessen the joy of parking?

OldieButFrenchie

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #86 on: April 25, 2020, 03:22:18 AM »

glad you feel that way man! Makes me regret starting the thread a lot less, for real

JANUS

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #87 on: April 26, 2020, 08:22:20 AM »
Yeah, you guys have increased my faith in humanity with this respectful discussion on a difficult topic.

Sidewalk Funk.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 371
« Reply #88 on: April 26, 2020, 10:28:27 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
2 : Israel is the only democracy in the region. There is not one arab country with democracy, unfortunately.
[close]

I'm not sure what point you're making here? Should new states only be allowed to form if they are a democracy? Does Israel's ability to form a democracy give it a greater right to exist/a more superior position in comparison to Arab countries and potential new Arab states? Just trying to guess what you mean by this point.

The reason for a lack of democracies in the Arab world is wildly complicated. For one, Western-style democracy is not a one size fits all solution that will work for every country. Also, Western powers love to point their finger at the Middle East (and other areas of the world) and criticize them for their instability, corruption, and lack of democracy, painting them as inferior nations and their people as uncivilized. This is also the message that is fed to the people in these western nations. However it is decades of continued intervention from these same western powers to purposefully destabilize the region that has made it impossible to institute a democracy in most of these countries.

The US especially is guilty of this and has directly helped several authoritarian regimes in these Arab countries come to power. The US and UK even led a coup to dismantle democracy in Iran in 1953 because the elected leader did not agree with the US/UK's control of Iranian oil. This resulted in a monarchy that lasted several decades in Iran (I realize Iran is not an Arabic country, however it is in the region of discussion and the dismantling of its democracy has a ripple effect to nearby Arab countries making it less likely for other democracies to form; it also serves as an example of the actions the US and UK are willing to take for their own interests at the expense and well-being of this region and how they do not actually care or want stability/democracies in this area). Hamas was also helped to power through repeated intervention by the US and other western powers. And the list goes on (not just in this region, but around the world).

Despite all of this, there are Arab countries that do currently have partial democracies and there are growing movements throughout the region pushing for instituting democracies. The Arab Spring and Libyan Civil Uprising are both examples of Arabs rising against their governments for the hope of a better life and democracy. They are living and dying for the cause.

Expand Quote
Right, fuck this thread, and fuck me for thinking it was possible to actually discuss this.
[close]

This has actually been a pretty tame thread considering the subject matter and this being Slap. You started the topic and multiple people have given you honest, thought-out answers regarding their position while also challenging your statements in a pretty respectful manner (for a skateboard messagboard). People are discussing it. Why are you upset?
[close]

yes that was what I meant: Israel's ability to form a democracy gives it a "moral high ground" if you will. There are arab members of the Knesset but nowhere in the arab world can you find jewish members of parliament, I don't think so. Everything else you said is true and I cannot disagree with it. But if you take the exemple of Algeria, how long can you blame French colonialism for the fucked-up state the country is in? Nobody has intervened in Algeria since independence, 60 years ago, but it is still a one-party state.

But is this ability to form a democracy really an accurate measurement of "moral high ground" if Israel and its government is being supported by the most powerful nations in the world while Arab countries and their governments are being purposely sabotaged by these same world powers?

As for Jewish-Arab government representation as a measure of a country's "moral ground":
Had to look up the exact numbers, but the Arab countries with the largest Jewish populations are Tunisia and Morocco. Jewish people make up approximately 0.02% and 0.006% of these nation's populations respectively. Not even 1% of the population in these countries is Jewish - we are talking tiny fractions of a percent and this is in the two Arab countries with the largest Jewish populations. In the other Arab countries we're looking closer to 0.0001-0.000001% of the population being Jewish. Therefore it wouldn't make much sense for these countries to have Jewish people in their parliaments/representative bodies of government. It would make even less sense to judge these nations for this fact.

Meanwhile Arab people make up approximately 20% of Israel's population. That is a large percentage of the population and therefore it makes sense for Israel to have an Arab presence in their representative government. However once again, does this even allow Israel to hold some form of "moral high ground" if they treat their Arab population as 2nd class citizens and create barriers to their participation in voting, etc? Not expecting you to answer that, just a question to consider.   
« Last Edit: April 26, 2020, 11:26:37 AM by Sidewalk Funk. »

« Reply #89 on: April 26, 2020, 01:08:42 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
2 : Israel is the only democracy in the region. There is not one arab country with democracy, unfortunately.
[close]

I'm not sure what point you're making here? Should new states only be allowed to form if they are a democracy? Does Israel's ability to form a democracy give it a greater right to exist/a more superior position in comparison to Arab countries and potential new Arab states? Just trying to guess what you mean by this point.

The reason for a lack of democracies in the Arab world is wildly complicated. For one, Western-style democracy is not a one size fits all solution that will work for every country. Also, Western powers love to point their finger at the Middle East (and other areas of the world) and criticize them for their instability, corruption, and lack of democracy, painting them as inferior nations and their people as uncivilized. This is also the message that is fed to the people in these western nations. However it is decades of continued intervention from these same western powers to purposefully destabilize the region that has made it impossible to institute a democracy in most of these countries.

The US especially is guilty of this and has directly helped several authoritarian regimes in these Arab countries come to power. The US and UK even led a coup to dismantle democracy in Iran in 1953 because the elected leader did not agree with the US/UK's control of Iranian oil. This resulted in a monarchy that lasted several decades in Iran (I realize Iran is not an Arabic country, however it is in the region of discussion and the dismantling of its democracy has a ripple effect to nearby Arab countries making it less likely for other democracies to form; it also serves as an example of the actions the US and UK are willing to take for their own interests at the expense and well-being of this region and how they do not actually care or want stability/democracies in this area). Hamas was also helped to power through repeated intervention by the US and other western powers. And the list goes on (not just in this region, but around the world).

Despite all of this, there are Arab countries that do currently have partial democracies and there are growing movements throughout the region pushing for instituting democracies. The Arab Spring and Libyan Civil Uprising are both examples of Arabs rising against their governments for the hope of a better life and democracy. They are living and dying for the cause.

Expand Quote
Right, fuck this thread, and fuck me for thinking it was possible to actually discuss this.
[close]

This has actually been a pretty tame thread considering the subject matter and this being Slap. You started the topic and multiple people have given you honest, thought-out answers regarding their position while also challenging your statements in a pretty respectful manner (for a skateboard messagboard). People are discussing it. Why are you upset?
[close]

yes that was what I meant: Israel's ability to form a democracy gives it a "moral high ground" if you will. There are arab members of the Knesset but nowhere in the arab world can you find jewish members of parliament, I don't think so. Everything else you said is true and I cannot disagree with it. But if you take the exemple of Algeria, how long can you blame French colonialism for the fucked-up state the country is in? Nobody has intervened in Algeria since independence, 60 years ago, but it is still a one-party state.

[close]

But is this ability to form a democracy really an accurate measurement of "moral high ground" if Israel and its government is being supported by the most powerful nations in the world while Arab countries and their governments are being purposely sabotaged by these same world powers?

As for Jewish-Arab government representation as a measure of a country's "moral ground":
Had to look up the exact numbers, but the Arab countries with the largest Jewish populations are Tunisia and Morocco. Jewish people make up approximately 0.02% and 0.006% of these nation's populations respectively. Not even 1% of the population in these countries is Jewish - we are talking tiny fractions of a percent and this is in the two Arab countries with the largest Jewish populations. In the other Arab countries we're looking closer to 0.0001-0.000001% of the population being Jewish. Therefore it wouldn't make much sense for these countries to have Jewish people in their parliaments/representative bodies of government. It would make even less sense to judge these nations for this fact.

Meanwhile Arab people make up approximately 20% of Israel's population. That is a large percentage of the population and therefore it makes sense for Israel to have an Arab presence in their representative government. However once again, does this even allow Israel to hold some form of "moral high ground" if they treat their Arab population as 2nd class citizens and create barriers to their participation in voting, etc? Not expecting you to answer that, just a question to consider.

The reason why there aren't any Jews in Arab countries anymore is because anti-Jewish riots broke out, they were expelled and most had to flee to Israel.

That being said, I agree with your point. Muslim Arabs are discriminated against and don't have equal rights in Israel, especially since Arabic was removed as an official language in 2018. Since that act, Israel is considered a "Jewish nation state", which excludes minorities.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/jul/19/one-more-racist-law-reactions-as-israel-axes-arabic-as-official-language
« Last Edit: April 26, 2020, 01:10:47 PM by AnotherHardDayAtTheOffice »