Author Topic: new Vans models  (Read 120365 times)

Sammich

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 2
Re: new Vans models
« Reply #900 on: March 19, 2023, 09:34:53 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Just got a pair of the Zahba’s. And for me, it fits like the AVE — a bit more of a narrow shoe (not Lizzie or Ultrarange Skate narrow) with a more pointy toebox.

Leaving it a bit loose still felt comfortable when walking around and doing some errands like going to the grocery store.

Hopefully I’ll have some time this week to skate them and report more on the cupsole feel and such.
[close]

Any sessions skating these yet??
[close]

Rain and parenting has limited my skate time, but I got a 15 flat ground session on the driveway.

I like the board feel Vans cupsoles have. And this is no different.

Not a fan of the insole, especially after coming from Popcush, but I usually end up using an after market insole anyway.

Popped a few ollies and pushed around. The narrow toe didn’t fell off in comparison to wider shoes like half cabs and crockett highs. The suede didn’t feel stiff and had good flex when skating basically new out of the box.

I’ll post more as I skate then more.

Thanks for the report back, appreciate it.

Hypnotoad

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 158
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #901 on: March 19, 2023, 12:43:10 PM »
anybody have any info on how these new lowland cupsole things skate? they look immaculate and im very tempted to grab a pair regardless of whether or not they skate semi decent
post pics

They all have “CC” in the name which is Vans’ “Comfy Cush”

Comfy Cush is a full foam mid and outsole which is very light and squishy and would be eaten alive by grip tape extremely quickly.

Unless they make one out of more traditional materials, I think these are a no-go for skating.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2023, 04:54:56 PM by Hypnotoad »

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 978
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #902 on: March 19, 2023, 06:54:46 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Has anyone heard any rumors of the Low Cab coming back? Half Cab is obviously selling stronger than ever. I only like low top shoes. A Low Cab would be rad. Seems like a good time to put something out like that
[close]

The Scott Kane ones
[close]

That was a long time ago though. I’m wondering about one coming out in the future, or maybe rumors of it coming back?

I’m guessing not because I don’t see anyone talking about it….
[close]

Isn't the rowan basically a low cab?
[close]

Funny you say that.

Yes they do look very similar, but the Rowan is still a bit taller, almost like a Half Cab but maybe in between.

The vintage pair of Lo Cab shoes I have are falling apart, sole coming away from the upper, which often happens in old shoes, but to put them side by side with the pair of Rowans I have, they do have a lot in common.

Closest things to a 1/2 cab without being a color way; Rowan’s incorporate more tech as well.

231st Street

• Rep: -191
« Reply #903 on: March 26, 2023, 04:15:06 PM »
My 6 year old son managed to pick these out for me for my bday (obviously with my wive's help buying, but she never would have found these herself): https://shop.ccs.com/products/vans-ave-shoes-teal  Props little guy-- I've been skating Adidas Superstars and New Balance 440s the most recently but grew up skating van's cupsole so curious how these go and will report in when I skate them

radcunt

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 493
    • FARTPISS DOGCUM avatar image
« Reply #904 on: March 26, 2023, 05:03:49 PM »
My 6 year old son managed to pick these out for me for my bday (obviously with my wive's help buying, but she never would have found these herself): https://shop.ccs.com/products/vans-ave-shoes-teal  Props little guy-- I've been skating Adidas Superstars and New Balance 440s the most recently but grew up skating van's cupsole so curious how these go and will report in when I skate them
Keen to hear, they look comfy and flexi for a cupsole.  Have always been tempted to try them.

DillsDarts

• Rep: -22
« Reply #905 on: March 27, 2023, 10:15:50 AM »
Expand Quote
anybody have any info on how these new lowland cupsole things skate? they look immaculate and im very tempted to grab a pair regardless of whether or not they skate semi decent
post pics
[close]

They all have “CC” in the name which is Vans’ “Comfy Cush”

Comfy Cush is a full foam mid and outsole which is very light and squishy and would be eaten alive by grip tape extremely quickly.

Unless they make one out of more traditional materials, I think these are a no-go for skating.

I worked at a vans retail store & got blessed with an employee free shoe & had to get these, skated them & they were totally dusted in about 3 weeks even after I superglued & shoe goo’d the ever long shit out of them. But while I did skate them they were honestly the best, super super light & also crazy comfy, it was also probably because of the foam but my kicklips felt really really nice with these straight out of the box. Honestly though, for the money (120 cad reg price) it’s not worth it for how long they last, even on sale I wouldn’t even recommend, but if they make this shoe into a skate they’ll have all my money.
'Offensive career gets one do over, last attitude gets two tries. Cariuma riders have a bigger margin for error but will ultimately be decided by the referee'.
[/quote]

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1102
« Reply #906 on: March 27, 2023, 10:25:35 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Keen to hear, they look comfy and flexi for a cupsole.  Have always been tempted to try them.

My favorite skateboarding shoe. They are perfect if you like a cupsole and some board feel. Without trying to brag, I think that they are best for people with fairly strong feet.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

swellbowed

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 490
  • ow
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #907 on: March 28, 2023, 04:20:20 PM »
Village Psychic just did an interview with Claude Leco who designed the Zahba. Gives some cool insight to what goes into designing a shoe. Pretty good read, check it out:
http://www.villagepsychic.net/blog/claude-leco-zahba

Sammich

• Rep: 2
« Reply #908 on: March 29, 2023, 07:37:04 AM »
Village Psychic just did an interview with Claude Leco who designed the Zahba. Gives some cool insight to what goes into designing a shoe. Pretty good read, check it out:
http://www.villagepsychic.net/blog/claude-leco-zahba

I’m excited to see these other new models. Saw Rowan skating what looked like a cupsole that people were asking about on IG.

I Picked up a pair of the Zahbas After TastyBurrito said it fits like the AVE which I’ve been primarily skating, but god damn that shoe is not warm enough in Midwestern early spring and late fall sessions. Digging the Zahbas.

franc

• Rep: 101
« Reply #909 on: April 27, 2023, 04:31:44 AM »
Big fan of the Skate Sk8 Lows, had 3 pairs and thought I’d get a pair of Grosso Skate SK8 Mids (the black and white ones with that emo leather) as I had SK8 Mid Pros before and loved them too. Walked in said Grosso Skate SK8 Mids for 3 days and they still feel pretty stiff and not as comfy as they should be. Have any of you had these? How did they break in? Thanks.

MonsPubis

• Rep: 20
« Reply #910 on: April 27, 2023, 05:56:21 AM »
just picked up my second pair of Zabha's. I Love this shoe. Cant wait for the new Rowans since its basically the same sole, just beefed up a bit.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #911 on: April 27, 2023, 09:55:15 AM »
Big fan of the Skate Sk8 Lows, had 3 pairs and thought I’d get a pair of Grosso Skate SK8 Mids (the black and white ones with that emo leather) as I had SK8 Mid Pros before and loved them too. Walked in said Grosso Skate SK8 Mids for 3 days and they still feel pretty stiff and not as comfy as they should be. Have any of you had these? How did they break in? Thanks.

Swap the insole. Those come with Ultracush, which is stiffer in the rear.

franc

• Rep: 101
« Reply #912 on: April 27, 2023, 01:01:05 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Swap the insole. Those come with Ultracush, which is stiffer in the rear.

Thanks. I did that straight away as I have to wear orthotic insoles.
It’s the padding around the ankle and the heel that bothers me, it feels really stiff.

Captain No Cab

• Rep: 20
« Reply #913 on: April 27, 2023, 07:00:02 PM »
Did anyone manage to snag a screenshot of the new AVE Pro Ave teased on his insta story the other day? Looked very similar to the latest AVE's but with extended suede where the mesh was and raised suede eyelet strips.
If you sk8, you know, when you bite into that spring-roll

turdtastic

• Rep: 52
« Reply #914 on: May 27, 2023, 08:01:22 AM »

These look interesting.
Anybody know what they are??

BoxStuffer

• Rep: 112
« Reply #915 on: May 27, 2023, 08:36:55 AM »

These look interesting.

edit:
I lied.
Not the new Rowan. 

I don't know what it is.

I think this is the new Rowan.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2023, 09:42:58 AM by BoxStuffer »
Enjoy your life.

TheCrimsonShroud

• Rep: 98
« Reply #916 on: May 27, 2023, 11:23:37 AM »
I have to try some Aves. All the vans I’ve skated are Vulc and hurt my feet. I’m STILL breaking in a two year old pair of Authentics. No padding anywhere, just thick canvas and a rubber toe cap that’s about as comfortable as a steel toe. It’s like wearing boxes on my feet. Boxes that hate me.

TastyBurrito

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 538
« Reply #917 on: May 27, 2023, 12:25:35 PM »

These look interesting.

These are midtop versions of the Zahbas

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 263
« Reply #918 on: May 27, 2023, 02:59:56 PM »
Expand Quote

These look interesting.
[close]

Yeah, they’ll be around in the fall/holiday

brownjenkin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 129
« Reply #919 on: May 27, 2023, 06:50:52 PM »
I have to try some Aves. All the vans I’ve skated are Vulc and hurt my feet. I’m STILL breaking in a two year old pair of Authentics. No padding anywhere, just thick canvas and a rubber toe cap that’s about as comfortable as a steel toe. It’s like wearing boxes on my feet. Boxes that hate me.

I think I'm in the minority, but I did not enjoy skating the Aves. I don't have particularly wide feet but for some reason the toe box felt restricting and super stiff. I got the original white ones and I like the look of them so I kept them a chillers, but I still don't find them terribly comfortable.

As Manysnakes above said, perhaps it is a foot strength thing as well. I have weak arches and sketchy ankles so maybe my feet just couldn't hang. I didn't feel secure in them while popping and every trick felt like a hail mary. My arches would get sore during the session as well.

I feel more comfortable in a thinner vulc shoe.

TheCrimsonShroud

• Rep: 98
« Reply #920 on: May 27, 2023, 08:14:11 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I think I'm in the minority, but I did not enjoy skating the Aves. I don't have particularly wide feet but for some reason the toe box felt restricting and super stiff. I got the original white ones and I like the look of them so I kept them a chillers, but I still don't find them terribly comfortable.

As Manysnakes above said, perhaps it is a foot strength thing as well. I have weak arches and sketchy ankles so maybe my feet just couldn't hang. I didn't feel secure in them while popping and every trick felt like a hail mary. My arches would get sore during the session as well.

I have wide-ish feet and perfect arches. The authentics pinch my pinky toes really bad. Still not as bad as a lot of those Nikes made for people with banana feet

turdtastic

• Rep: 52
« Reply #921 on: May 28, 2023, 07:49:48 AM »
Expand Quote

These look interesting.
[close]

Thanks yallz

Richard Skidder

• Rep: 443
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #922 on: May 28, 2023, 04:54:36 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

I have wide-ish feet and perfect arches. The authentics pinch my pinky toes really bad. Still not as bad as a lot of those Nikes made for people with banana feet

“Banana feet” had me dead! At least now I know why Nike fits me so well.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #923 on: May 28, 2023, 04:59:28 PM »
The Zahbas were clearly Reynolds influenced or maybe his shoe that they repurposed especially those mids

Tiltmode Army Reservist

• Rep: 22
  • RIP Ben Raemers
« Reply #924 on: May 28, 2023, 06:17:15 PM »
The Zahbas were clearly Reynolds influenced or maybe his shoe that they repurposed especially those mids

I like this idea because I still can't believe Reynolds didn't get a signature shoe in his 3.5 years with Vans (that went a lot quicker than I realize).

Also those Zahba Mids look great. If they have a black/gum colorway lined up for that initial release, I'll have money for it.
RIP Ben Raemers

modern life is war

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -618
« Reply #925 on: May 28, 2023, 07:17:16 PM »
How much more durable in the sole is the vans skate line than the regular line?
You’re a Florida native, aren’t you?

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 978
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #926 on: May 28, 2023, 08:18:25 PM »
Expand Quote

These look interesting.
[close]

edit:
I lied.
Not the new Rowan. 

I don't know what it is.

I'd fuck with a rowan wanna-be-dunk (if waffle/cup)

TastyBurrito

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 538
« Reply #927 on: May 28, 2023, 08:44:35 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

These look interesting.
[close]

edit:
I lied.
Not the new Rowan. 

I don't know what it is.

[close]

I'd fuck with a rowan wanna-be-dunk (if waffle/cup)

This sole most def looks like a cupsole. I’m gonna try it. I legit liked his wanna-be-Half Cab model.

roba

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 758
« Reply #928 on: May 29, 2023, 03:50:05 AM »

the sole is good and easily outlasts the upper, i'd say it lasts twice as long compared to the regular models, so about 6-8 weeks in my experience
I'm ok with theft. It happens to me all the time.
I steal too

I’m rich and smart

R.I.P Tate

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1102
« Reply #929 on: May 29, 2023, 05:33:53 AM »

Night and day difference. I wore though some regular Half Cabs in a session or two.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021