Author Topic: new Vans models  (Read 122053 times)

Madam, I'm Adam

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1375
Re: new Vans models
« Reply #1080 on: September 29, 2023, 06:26:08 AM »

Looks like 18 East is releasing a Half Cab. Based on the details in the Village Psychic interview, I'm really hyped on it. Doesn't seem like it'll be based off the current Skate Half Cab model.

http://www.villagepsychic.net/blog/18-east-half-cab

Out_of_Step

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 2
« Reply #1081 on: September 29, 2023, 10:01:48 AM »
Rowan 2s on the way.

from r/Vans

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1092
« Reply #1082 on: September 29, 2023, 11:36:24 AM »

Looks like 18 East is releasing a Half Cab. Based on the details in the Village Psychic interview, I'm really hyped on it. Doesn't seem like it'll be based off the current Skate Half Cab model.

http://www.villagepsychic.net/blog/18-east-half-cab

That's super cool but it seems like it's going to be expensive and only available through 18 East?
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 997
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #1083 on: September 29, 2023, 11:59:04 AM »
Rowan 2s on the way.

from r/Vans

Oct 20th (?)

I kinda dig the white stitching on black leather.

DERBY

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 254
« Reply #1084 on: September 29, 2023, 12:42:32 PM »
Not particularly skate related, and they're only available in Japan, but I know there are some cycle nerds on here, so here's the Blue Lug x Vans collab.

vans releases one cool thing and turns out to be very limited. vans releases a shit colorway and it’s widely accessible. vans you guys are clearly fumbling it get ur shit together

Madam, I'm Adam

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1375
« Reply #1085 on: October 10, 2023, 09:21:50 AM »

Images of these Carrolls surfaced about a year ago. Anyone know if they're still going to be released? I heard possibly November from a nice Pal, but haven't seen or heard anything else.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 263
« Reply #1086 on: October 10, 2023, 09:52:16 AM »

Images of these Carrolls surfaced about a year ago. Anyone know if they're still going to be released? I heard possibly November from a nice Pal, but haven't seen or heard anything else.

I def saw them in person in a Vans rep haul at my local many months ago.    The Rowan 2s and White XLTs were in that haul, so November/Dec seems reasonable as those models appear to be coming soon

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1087 on: October 20, 2023, 10:13:03 AM »
Expand Quote
Rowan 2s on the way.

from r/Vans

[close]

Oct 20th (?)

I kinda dig the white stitching on black leather.

Yeah they're everywhere now...not sure I can justify $110 on Vans these days (even tho I like the look of them); The black and white still look great...but if I was going to go that route, them 480s would be it.

Also, why do Vans always look pronated out of the box (see attached)?

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1031
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1088 on: October 20, 2023, 05:31:27 PM »

Yeah they're everywhere now...not sure I can justify $110 on Vans these days (even tho I like the look of them); The black and white still look great...but if I was going to go that route, them 480s would be it.

Also, why do Vans always look pronated out of the box (see attached)?

Yeah I have always noticed that, which is why I get out the grinder and take off the outside edge, as well as putting in a custom cut insole to make them feel a bit more normal for me.

Once they have been worn for a while, they often shape the other way, but at first, if I don't do what I usually do, I can not wear them at all without having serious issues with ankles.

I make my own orthotic looking bits to fit under the insole I put in so they roll the other way, as well as soften up the edge so I don't go from upright to rolled ankle, if that makes sense, but it is something I am used to doing for all of them.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

TastyBurrito

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 546
« Reply #1089 on: October 21, 2023, 03:43:17 PM »
Went to the store and tried on the Rowan 2s and hot damn, the toe box on that thing is tapered and skinny. Like worse than the Ultrarange skate and the Zahbas. Unless you’re skinny with skinny feet, these might feel a bit tight.

Guess I’m sticking to Wayvees for the time being

GrapeApeAffe

• Rep: 8
« Reply #1090 on: October 21, 2023, 06:06:22 PM »
Went to the store and tried on the Rowan 2s and hot damn, the toe box on that thing is tapered and skinny. Like worse than the Ultrarange skate and the Zahbas. Unless you’re skinny with skinny feet, these might feel a bit tight.

Guess I’m sticking to Wayvees for the time being

Yeah the whole reason I love the Rowan’s is because they were the widest Skate Vans I’ve tried.  Even then I use one of those shoe stretchers to widen them more.

Not a fan of the new look of the 2s.  Hopefully they don’t discontinue the original Rowan’s.  I may need to stock up.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1091 on: October 27, 2023, 05:11:43 PM »
Checked out the Rowan's in person today, they are so oddly narrow and pointy it wasn't even worth trying them on as it would have been an exercise in futility and a waste of the employees time. They have a wide shoe 'shape' at the metatarsal area it's still super skinny and the toe box is a literally a triangle; horrible.

Totally different shoe...where the OG Rowan had Half Cab vibes, the R2 is def leaning towards the Zahba end of the spectrum.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1031
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1092 on: October 29, 2023, 07:46:33 PM »
Checked out the Rowan's in person today, they are so oddly narrow and pointy it wasn't even worth trying them on as it would have been an exercise in futility and a waste of the employees time. They have a wide shoe 'shape' at the metatarsal area it's still super skinny and the toe box is a literally a triangle; horrible.

Totally different shoe...where the OG Rowan had Half Cab vibes, the R2 is def leaning towards the Zahba end of the spectrum.

I wonder if this is the choice of the pro rider, or someone in R&D or even just randomly done, but some toe areas are so big and wide, while others are so narrow and pointy in consecutive shoes, even some upgraded shoes have changed like this over the years, eg Half Cabs - some older ones are way more rounded in the toe area than the more recent ones, which are squashing my toes right now in this new pair.

Older models I had I recall talking about a lot that I also pulled out not too long ago to compare to some current shoes:

TNT - wide and round
TNT2 - a bit more pointy
TNT5 very pointy
Rowans - lots of room in the toe area
AVE Sk8 low - very pointy but worked well
Rowley Shambles - very pointy
Rowley Solo - medium pointy but worked well
Rowleys in the yellow box I can't remember the name of, but they were a lot more round
A few team models I can't remember the names of but were very round and I would have bought a lot more of those, but they only came out more so in weird colours.
Too many others to go through right now...

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

fernando the skater

• Rep: 114
« Reply #1093 on: October 30, 2023, 12:44:50 PM »
Lizzie Low

Curbyourenthusiasm

• Rep: 17
« Reply #1094 on: October 30, 2023, 01:27:01 PM »
I'd just like to say that the Rowan 2 feels incredible on my feet. Probably the best feeling Vans shoe I've worn in ten years. It's like the cushion level of a jordan 1 and fits my foot perfectly. Understandable how different everyone's feet and preferences are,  but for me, this is a great shoe and something I've been looking for for awhile.

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1095 on: October 30, 2023, 02:36:10 PM »

dstrytruitt

• Rep: 105
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #1096 on: October 31, 2023, 05:51:41 AM »
Expand Quote
Lizzie Low

[close]

Clean your microwave, woman.

Was my first thought, as well.  :o

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 263
« Reply #1097 on: October 31, 2023, 08:16:54 AM »

oyolar

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 383
« Reply #1098 on: October 31, 2023, 08:22:37 AM »
Does anyone have info or pics of the new AVE model? Or can point me to where about to look in this thread for them?

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1099 on: October 31, 2023, 09:46:28 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Lizzie Low

[close]

Clean your microwave, woman.
[close]

That’s an axel task

Indeed. She's the bread winner, not the bread maker in that coupling.

Expand Quote

[close]

I wonder if this is the choice of the pro rider, or someone in R&D or even just randomly done, but some toe areas are so big and wide, while others are so narrow and pointy in consecutive shoes, even some upgraded shoes have changed like this over the years, eg Half Cabs - some older ones are way more rounded in the toe area than the more recent ones, which are squashing my toes right now in this new pair.

Older models I had I recall talking about a lot that I also pulled out not too long ago to compare to some current shoes:

TNT - wide and round
TNT2 - a bit more pointy
TNT5 very pointy
Rowans - lots of room in the toe area
AVE Sk8 low - very pointy but worked well
Rowley Shambles - very pointy
Rowley Solo - medium pointy but worked well
Rowleys in the yellow box I can't remember the name of, but they were a lot more round
A few team models I can't remember the names of but were very round and I would have bought a lot more of those, but they only came out more so in weird colours.
Too many others to go through right now...

Vans has definitely gone pointier as the introduce more tech (especially post waffle cup). I can't remember which round it was but after the TNT SG (loved that shoe) both the next gen crocketts and TNTs changed...weird shape toeboxes, long and pointy...The TNT5s still had the wide one piece toebox, TNT Advance Prototype maybe? But this Crockett is just gross:

...then the wayvee....zhaba...rowan2...latest Kwalks...

Give me some Vans Stage 4 crockett mids...
« Last Edit: October 31, 2023, 10:06:14 AM by Xen »

sadBUTtrue

• Rep: 6
« Reply #1100 on: October 31, 2023, 10:19:28 PM »
The new XLT juants

fs1/2cab

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 617
    • a short part avatar image
« Reply #1101 on: November 09, 2023, 03:00:26 AM »
A question for every pal who has/had Half Cab Pros and the newer Skate Half Cab's.

Biggest difference seems to be, that the ankle collar is way stiffer and the shoe takes a bit longer to break in, right? What about sizing? Should I get the same size as in the previous Half Cab or Reebok's or Lakai's? And what about the Half Cab 92s? The green ones look kool.

I just want them for chilling and maybe cruising.

Still don't know when I will be able to skate again. The injuries and problems keep piling up.
IG: @flowterspace

finecojeffe

• Rep: 129
    • Fine-Co avatar image
« Reply #1102 on: November 09, 2023, 06:10:55 AM »
A question for every pal who has/had Half Cab Pros and the newer Skate Half Cab's.

Biggest difference seems to be, that the ankle collar is way stiffer and the shoe takes a bit longer to break in, right? What about sizing? Should I get the same size as in the previous Half Cab or Reebok's or Lakai's? And what about the Half Cab 92s? The green ones look kool.

Still don't know when I will be able to skate again. The injuries and problems keep piling up.
sizing feels approximate to the pros, just ever so slightly smaller maybe...but not enough to adjust the size. I still have a holdover of the pros and I skate them and the "skate" version pretty regularly. The only reason I intermingle them is I find the skate version is way more uncomfortable, but I gotta break them in somehow and walking around just wasn't doing it. Also they are slightly higher and the foxing is just barely a hair higher on the skate version. I wish they just would bring the pro version back and get rid of the iron collar these skate ones have. Also finally putting the skate version on is just harder than the pro version...if you're like me and wear shoes slightly loose so you can slip your foot in, but requires two hands for the skate version.

camel filters

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1292
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1103 on: November 09, 2023, 07:50:18 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]
sizing feels approximate to the pros, just ever so slightly smaller maybe...but not enough to adjust the size. I still have a holdover of the pros and I skate them and the "skate" version pretty regularly. The only reason I intermingle them is I find the skate version is way more uncomfortable, but I gotta break them in somehow and walking around just wasn't doing it. Also they are slightly higher and the foxing is just barely a hair higher on the skate version. I wish they just would bring the pro version back and get rid of the iron collar these skate ones have. Also finally putting the skate version on is just harder than the pro version...if you're like me and wear shoes slightly loose so you can slip your foot in, but requires two hands for the skate version.
I like the upper for the pros way more but the sole on the skate version is undeniably better for me. The pros would mush out so much it felt like walking on marshmallows after 3 sessions.

MusclesMarinara

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 102
« Reply #1104 on: November 13, 2023, 02:59:12 PM »

That big chunky sole for the itty bitty midsole is honestly laughable. Glad I passed on these last week.
Alex Olson never had the makings of a varsity athlete.

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1105 on: November 13, 2023, 03:05:17 PM »
Is there a new AVE in the works? I’m probably the only hardcore AVE devotee here so I’m curious what a new one would entail.

Ok

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1112
« Reply #1106 on: November 13, 2023, 03:20:01 PM »
Is there a new AVE in the works? I’m probably the only hardcore AVE devotee here so I’m curious what a new one would entail.

oh the ave pro is a good to great shoe.
i had a few pairs and really liked them. maybe i never totally fell for the look.

if they could an old skool feel like an ave pro they’d go back to printing money

Pasta Monster

« Reply #1107 on: November 13, 2023, 03:26:55 PM »
From the Upcoming Shoes thread:

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1108 on: November 13, 2023, 03:30:39 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Thanks, that’s interesting. It looks like it has a bigger heel drop than original, which is one of the things I like most about the AVE - it feels fairly flat. Otherwise it’s a bunch of marketing gobbledegook.

I’m sure I’ll try a pair when they’re $45 on sale in 2025.

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 35
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
« Reply #1109 on: November 14, 2023, 12:33:56 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Thanks, that’s interesting. It looks like it has a bigger heel drop than original, which is one of the things I like most about the AVE - it feels fairly flat. Otherwise it’s a bunch of marketing gobbledegook.

I’m sure I’ll try a pair when they’re $45 on sale in 2025.
It feels like Vans on the 2000's
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.