Author Topic: new Vans models  (Read 122033 times)

Tiltmode Army Reservist

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 22
  • RIP Ben Raemers
Re: new Vans models
« Reply #1200 on: February 23, 2024, 03:04:05 PM »
Expand Quote
Cmon SLAP, let’s make VF an offer on Vans so it can be skater-owned again.
I got 5 on it.

Besides, I need a job anyway…
[close]
I'll throw 5 in as well. My job search isn't going great so I'll be TM and all decisions regarding who gets on and who gets of will be made through Slap polls.

I'll throw in five bucks if you add Half Cabs to the customs section of the website.
RIP Ben Raemers

ToySanta

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 115
« Reply #1201 on: February 23, 2024, 03:30:32 PM »

Can I request a part from someone in these??

turdtastic

• Rep: 54
« Reply #1202 on: February 23, 2024, 03:57:52 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Cmon SLAP, let’s make VF an offer on Vans so it can be skater-owned again.
I got 5 on it.

Besides, I need a job anyway…
[close]
I'll throw 5 in as well. My job search isn't going great so I'll be TM and all decisions regarding who gets on and who gets of will be made through Slap polls.
[close]

I'll throw in five bucks if you add Half Cabs to the customs section of the website.
It’s on the first things to do list

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1092
« Reply #1203 on: February 23, 2024, 04:24:49 PM »
Vans just relaunched their Vault line as "OTW" and there's a lot of trash
https://otw.vans.com/en-us/c/otw-90083

This is definitely one of those things people look back on in 5-10 years when they're writing an article about how Vans lost their way.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1030
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1204 on: February 23, 2024, 04:42:44 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

This is definitely one of those things people look back on in 5-10 years when they're writing an article about how Vans lost their way.

They brought it out too early.

April 1st is still a way off yet.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1030
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1205 on: February 23, 2024, 04:51:05 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Anyone bought vans classics lately?(who doesn't hate vans) has the quality dropped significantly or anything?
[close]

I bought a pair of regular Eras a month or so ago. For a few years prior I was wearing Skate Customs in all suede. The last pair of Custom Skates fell apart pretty fast, and I didn't even skate in them. I figured for that price/quality I'll go back to regular Eras and put in some better insoles. So I tore out the insoles and put in some older UltraCush. I couldn't use PopCush insoles cause I had no room left for my toes. The regular Eras with Ultracush took a little bit of breaking in whereas the Custom Pro/Skate were comfy right out of the box. So I guess long winded way to say the regular ones seem pretty regular from what I remember? A little tighter than before maybe? We'll see how long they last. Unsure what I'll get next. Might abandon Vans and get sperry topsiders or some shit, and I've been wearing vans nearly exclusively for like 25 years.
[close]
Sick thanks. I'm like 65% vans for the last 25 years but I prob regret more than half of my non vans purchases.
Aus sites got a bunch of pig suedes for like 70% off I think I'll take the gamble. Funny I still run the insoles out of my TNT 2s from like 06 or something. I must have put 20k KMs on them and they still feel better than anything else and so far they fit into most classic vans once you rip the stock out (altho I actually like keeping the stock in for as long as possible)

This, completely me too!!!

I bought quite a few from the sales going on at the moment and the Classic versions are still good, if not a little funny in sizing for a few of them, feeling a bit big in some pairs actually, but I think the full suede versions of all those shoes are still really good and hold up better than the canvas sided regular Classic versions anyway.

Depending on whether they are the really new ones or just old stock, I noticed the really new ones are a bit more sticky in the gum sole as well, so maybe as someone had said they changed something to make it a bit softer, but either way they still grip like nothing else and I run plain Jessup, which is finer and needs less work anyway, compared to some other grip brands.

Also the insoles were glued in better and were harder to get out, but I am used to that too, so it just took a little more effort and these Old Skools, Sk8 Low and other styles are good to go for me.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Pasta Monster

« Reply #1206 on: February 23, 2024, 04:52:33 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Who is the target demographic for the OTW line? It’s crazy that some of it is sold out.

thehogsniper

• Rep: 49
« Reply #1207 on: February 23, 2024, 04:55:39 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

The funniest thing is that the vault line was already this type of shit. they just relaunched it with an inferior name. also why is the XLT is being marketed as a OTW shoe... nobody outside of skateboarding gives a shit. I'm going to write an angry letter to Vans' President about this, and offer my services.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 997
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #1208 on: February 23, 2024, 05:41:09 PM »
VF Corporate: "Vans, why are you losing money every quarter?

Vans:

Troubadour26

• Rep: 77
« Reply #1209 on: February 23, 2024, 07:31:54 PM »
hahahaha ^

I’m being very patient with my Rowan 2’s and I’m not in love with them. perhaps like most Vans they will be absolutely perfect for 3 weeks until they are completely dead.

Chimppimpin

• Rep: 4
« Reply #1210 on: February 23, 2024, 09:10:26 PM »
Seeing Vans make clothing/and shoes that are actually of quality is a breath of fresh air. Pretty much 90% of Vans clothing is super cheap. 

Southernmost

• Rep: 117
« Reply #1211 on: February 23, 2024, 10:31:16 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
The funniest thing is that the vault line was already this type of shit. they just relaunched it with an inferior name. also why is the XLT is being marketed as a OTW shoe... nobody outside of skateboarding gives a shit. I'm going to write an angry letter to Vans' President about this, and offer my services.

I was watching the Warriors vs Lakers game on Christmas Day and a woman sitting courtside had the Vans Rowley x Gallery Dept shoes on. I thought it was humorous and random. It was a couple decked out in full Gallery Dept head to toe so doubt they skate or know who Rowley is.

https://sneakernews.com/2023/11/07/gallery-dept-vans-rowley-xlt-release-date/

Musicaldeath107

• Rep: 122
« Reply #1212 on: February 24, 2024, 07:07:27 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Hold up non-synth Rowley XLTs... Shame I can't get down with ANY of those colorways
[close]
There are two new (normal) colorways of genuine suede/leather XLTs on the regular Vans site now
https://www.vans.com/en-us/shoes-c00081/rowley-xlt-shoe-pvn000ctmba2

The cream ones seem to actually be suede but those black and white ones most certainly are not regardless of that description on the site. The texture on the black ones match the Dime releases. Pretty pumped that select colors are going to be suede though. Thanks for passing along.

DarkPools

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 478
« Reply #1213 on: February 24, 2024, 11:41:07 AM »
Wanna share that I tried on Rowan 2s and boy is that toebox narrow! Had to try a 12 when I'm normally an 11 or 11.5 in most Vans. Even in a 12 where length started to be too much, the width still wasn't wide enough. Anyone else have the same experience?

Also, if you have bunions or pronounced big toe bones, these aren't built to be as forgiving up there as Crocketts, Rowan 1s, KWalks, Sk8 Hi, and even AVEs (surprisingly) are. Which I've all skated with minimal issues with their toeboxes. Not sure how anyone can say the Rowan 2 is wide, when it doesn't feel or look like it.

The sole does feel like one of the better attempts at a cupsole in recent years, and not a glorified vulc via waffle cup. I know they'll work for some people though!
Super Champion Fun Zone

jums

• Rep: -54
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #1214 on: February 24, 2024, 11:50:24 AM »
Wanna share that I tried on Rowan 2s and boy is that toebox narrow! Had to try a 12 when I'm normally an 11 or 11.5 in most Vans. Even in a 12 where length started to be too much, the width still wasn't wide enough. Anyone else have the same experience?

Also, if you have bunions or pronounced big toe bones, these aren't built to be as forgiving up there as Crocketts, Rowan 1s, KWalks, Sk8 Hi, and even AVEs (surprisingly) are. Which I've all skated with minimal issues with their toeboxes. Not sure how anyone can say the Rowan 2 is wide, when it doesn't feel or look like it.

The sole does feel like one of the better attempts at a cupsole in recent years, and not a glorified vulc via waffle cup. I know they'll work for some people though!

Yeah toe box is narrow ime. I too wear an 11.5 in everything and they felt a half size small. Didn’t try on a 12 tho.

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1215 on: February 24, 2024, 11:50:27 AM »

FWIW I've got narrow feet with some bigass toes, and I've found the AVEs to be one of the best shoes for my oddly shaped foot.

DarkPools

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1216 on: February 24, 2024, 12:00:15 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

FWIW I've got narrow feet with some bigass toes, and I've found the AVEs to be one of the best shoes for my oddly shaped foot.

I do kinda miss my AVEs. They were better than I realized when I had them. The mesh was too ubiquitous so I sold/ditched the ones I owned early and moved on to other shoes.

Wonder if the new AVE will redeem those mesh issues and fit well in the toe box like his previous one.

Stoked they worked for you! You still holding on to any pairs as they're phased(phasing?)  out now
Super Champion Fun Zone

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1217 on: February 24, 2024, 12:13:55 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

I do kinda miss my AVEs. They were better than I realized when I had them. The mesh was too ubiquitous so I sold/ditched the ones I owned early and moved on to other shoes.

Wonder if the new AVE will redeem those mesh issues and fit well in the toe box like his previous one.

Stoked they worked for you! You still holding on to any pairs as they're phased(phasing?)  out now

haha yup. Got three or four pairs in the basement, including two Beatrice. I almost bought more when I saw that a new AVE was coming, but I've prohibited myself from acquiring more skate gear.

DarkPools

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1218 on: February 26, 2024, 02:49:35 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

haha yup. Got three or four pairs in the basement, including two Beatrice. I almost bought more when I saw that a new AVE was coming, but I've prohibited myself from acquiring more skate gear.

Sweet! May they last you as long as possible until the nest AVE is out and is affordable to buy!

In other Vans news, I checked out those Speed LS models that we saw photos of awhile back. They're in Vans stores now. Regular line and not SKATE sooo none of the tech, but they don't look terrible. That brown color is probably the best of the three.

However, they have the same sole as the SKATE Fairlane. I have never had the SKATE Fairlane, so I can't compare if the Speed LS sole is the exact same durometer or not. Though, they look identical.

The Speed LS has a real soft feel to the rubber, spongey and squishy under your feet. Good board feel probably but I don't know how durable or protective that sole is based on what I felt. Maybe the SKATE version of that sole is firmer + more supportive with the pop cush on the Fairlane?

Anyone in here had the SKATE Fairlane of recent years and can weigh in on how it feels?
« Last Edit: February 26, 2024, 11:20:28 AM by DarkPools »
Super Champion Fun Zone

MusclesMarinara

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 102
« Reply #1219 on: February 26, 2024, 08:23:25 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Sweet! May they last you as long as possible until the nest AVE is out and is affordable  tobuy a!

In other Vans news, I checked out those Speed LS models that we saw photos of awhile back. They're in Vans stores now. Regular line and not SKATE sooo none of the tech, but they don't look terrible. That brown color is probably the best of the three.

However, they have the same sole as the SKATE Fairlane. I have never had the SKATE Fairlane, so I can't compare if the Speed LS sole is the exact same durometer or not. Though, they look identical.

The Speed LS has a real soft feel to the rubber, spongey and squishy under your feet. Good board feel probably but I don't know how durable or protective that sole is based on what I felt. Maybe the SKATE version of that sole is firmer + more supportive with the pop cush on the Fairlane?

Anyone in here had the SKATE Fairlane of recent years and can weigh in on how it feels?

The Speed’s don’t have Popcush so that’s already a plus in my book. I had the normal Fairlines and they fit and felt really good, Skate versions were too tight when tried on.
Alex Olson never had the makings of a varsity athlete.

thehogsniper

« Reply #1220 on: February 26, 2024, 08:48:38 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Sweet! May they last you as long as possible until the nest AVE is out and is affordable  tobuy a!

Honestly considering buying these to fill that 90s cupsole-shaped hole in my heart. How do they feel versus other shoes, like the rap/accel or any of the other retros we've had lately?

backside_frontside

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -298
« Reply #1221 on: February 26, 2024, 10:32:52 AM »
I finally starting wearing my pair of the Paradoxxx that I had on ice since 2019 lol. I've been walking to and from work to break in the cupsole. It's been well over 15 years since I last wore a cupsole, but this one is feeling good. Gonna start skating them this week and I'm really excited to try them. It's such a nice looking shoe, simple silhouette and nice lines wit the stitching, not techy, the old school Vans logo.  It's a damn shame Vans let this one go, because it's one of their best designs in the last decade IMO.

DarkPools

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1222 on: February 26, 2024, 11:31:54 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]
Honestly considering buying these to fill that 90s cupsole-shaped hole in my heart. How do they feel versus other shoes, like the rap/accel or any of the other retros we've had lately?

They feel pretty solid as far as materials, paneling, etc. go. In hand & on foot, I wasnt disappointed at all. It's a shoe I'm tempted to try for sure. The insole is glued in like Classic Vans, so thats either a plus or a negative depending on aftermarket insole needs or not.

The tongue is pretty puffy, but feels like it will mold to your foot much better than an Accel OG tongue. Personally, I'd say the Rap is better (if it had better colors and removed that heel logo on the low) since that sole is a good middle ground between thick for protection and thin for boardfeel. That's also because I don't like my soles to feel as soft/squishy/broken in as these do. Others may actually enjoy this quality, so they could definitely be a winner for Vans vulc fans wanting to move into cupsoles.

The Rap/Accel look simpler, where this is definitely 90s simple/early 2000s tech blending together. More going on in the upper but in solid colors (black/white & brown) it's less noticeable.

TL;DR - they feel like a solid attempt at a retro/reimagining of 90s/2000s shoes. Looks designed well and feels comfortable enough. Are they worth $90? That remains to be seen.
Super Champion Fun Zone

DarkPools

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1223 on: February 26, 2024, 11:43:57 AM »
I finally starting wearing my pair of the Paradoxxx that I had on ice since 2019 lol. I've been walking to and from work to break in the cupsole. It's been well over 15 years since I last wore a cupsole, but this one is feeling good. Gonna start skating them this week and I'm really excited to try them. It's such a nice looking shoe, simple silhouette and nice lines wit the stitching, not techy, the old school Vans logo.  It's a damn shame Vans let this one go, because it's one of their best designs in the last decade IMO.

Those are some solid shoes! Bummed they discontinued them also. I found a pair that was 0.5 size too big for me (and didn't know it when buying) since it was labeled wrong at a Nordstrom Rack store. Felt fine at first but were too roomy once I actually started wearing them around. Ended up passing them to a homie. He fuckin loves them!  Ever since he told me, I would check randomly at stores and online with no luck. Go figure! When you find a grail, it's discontinued or about to be discontinued  :(
Super Champion Fun Zone

Chimppimpin

• Rep: 4
« Reply #1224 on: February 27, 2024, 10:36:22 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Sweet! May they last you as long as possible until the nest AVE is out and is affordable to buy!

There is another shoe in the same position that seems to be coming out soon called the “Hylane”. Found these pictures of them online
https://www.littleburgundyshoes.com/product/vans-womens-hylane-sneakers-in-white-31990627

jakeumms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1324
  • Runnin through the house with a pickle in my mouth
« Reply #1225 on: February 27, 2024, 11:44:37 AM »
Looking like a Fairlaine with a second sole glued on^
them cats are out getting mashed up to jungle, he's out mashing up jungle cats. it's just not gonna work.

dstrytruitt

• Rep: 105
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #1226 on: February 27, 2024, 05:10:42 PM »
Looking like a Fairlaine with a second sole glued on^

Comfort stacked on comfort.

marcusbutler

• Rep: 39
« Reply #1227 on: February 27, 2024, 06:23:52 PM »
Cab getting payyyyyyed!
We rode 7.5's" and didn't complain.

thehogsniper

« Reply #1228 on: February 27, 2024, 06:41:01 PM »
Checked out the OTW Vans today. It looks like their new lineup is using an insole that is very very similar to the popcush, if not the exact same. Looks like they're putting out some nice retro-styled Half Cabs. Might be worth trying.
https://shop-us.doverstreetmarket.com/products/vans-half-cab-reissue-33-aluolive-vn000cr7cl3-ss24?variant=41367763517702&gad_source=1&gclid=CjwKCAiArfauBhApEiwAeoB7qDgNafPN97lG52-v_hkgclAJEIDTIgRmkEURbqtNQizD1lDordHijhoCDrsQAvD_BwE

toe_knee

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 210
  • Get bent
« Reply #1229 on: February 28, 2024, 12:22:48 PM »
I enjoy not looking at this thread for weeks and coming back to a new abomination when I open it….so in that aspect.. vans is killing it
You want some queso?”
Dan Drehobl to me at make a wish, while handing me a hotdog