Author Topic: Watches  (Read 45305 times)

Joust Ostrich

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 662
  • Speculatnaciousness?
Re: Watches
« Reply #510 on: June 24, 2021, 03:28:57 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
that is the rotor in there that powers the mehcnical movement when it is moved
[close]

right on, thanks. so that rattling then, shouldn't be an issue?
[close]
the rattling is what charges the watch, it’s a sign of the rotor spinning. Having said that, rotors can get loose over time so there’s rattling and then there’s actual “rattling”. For price of mind, you should probably get them serviced to ensure they stay running/ in good condition

Also, pics.
I'm posting from my blackberry wtf?!?!?

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 78
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #511 on: June 24, 2021, 06:21:29 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
that is the rotor in there that powers the mehcnical movement when it is moved
[close]

right on, thanks. so that rattling then, shouldn't be an issue?
[close]
the rattling is what charges the watch, it’s a sign of the rotor spinning. Having said that, rotors can get loose over time so there’s rattling and then there’s actual “rattling”. For price of mind, you should probably get them serviced to ensure they stay running/ in good condition
[close]

Also, pics.

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #512 on: July 06, 2021, 09:45:28 PM »
@iusedtoskate left us hanging...

I’m wearing this today, and while I still thinks it’s smidgen too small, it’s still a very sexy diver:
https://www.instagram.com/p/CRAyteerghZ/?utm_medium=share_sheet
Bezel is ghosting so nicely

Nothing else is really catching my eye these days, wanna see one of those 36mm combat subs but my watch lust may have finally plateaued!
Still want a vintage Tudor sub and a Hand wound GS though ....

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #513 on: July 15, 2021, 09:25:53 PM »
Busted this out today, definitely deserves all the hype it gets!

https://www.instagram.com/p/CRX-I9LrgoC/?utm_medium=copy_link

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #514 on: July 15, 2021, 09:29:32 PM »
Also, Leticia rocking some ice:
https://www.instagram.com/p/CRXLl8nFfb3/?utm_medium=copy_link
I’ve see her rock submariners before but it’s nice to see her wearing something a little smaller. Pretty sure she has a two tone date just too!
« Last Edit: July 15, 2021, 11:04:47 PM by Gay Imp Sausage Metal »

Radbloke

• Rep: 75
  • Quit jivin me, turkey.
« Reply #515 on: July 17, 2021, 09:44:21 PM »
Not sure how I missed this thread - some nice pieces in here! I'll bite on this one:

Circa 2013 SMPc transitional model (no wave, co-axial 2500d movement, ceramic bezel). It's currently in for a service but probably doesn't need it.

IWC Pilot Chrono. Big fan of IWC and have really been enjoying this one. My only issue is the strap size is very strange, the holes are too far apart so sizing is either too loose or too tight. I'll order a factory deployant for it, hopefully that cures the issue.

Recently been looking at some Navitimers, the Swissair edition is really nice despite the painful history for the Swiss and using the final bankruptcy era logo on the back. The water resistance is also shit, not really any excuse for that in the modern era.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #516 on: July 18, 2021, 09:08:30 PM »
@Radbloke welcome! what a grand entrance you made!
I know exactly the SMP you're talking about, kind of a transition model for them. was contemplating one for a bit, but for some reason I like bezels that age (hence why I also sold my aquis) and it got a thickness update with the coaxial movement right? Still very clean, I actually like the no wave dial here; I also only like the wave dial with the sword hand combo like on the 2254.50, with the skeleton hands I think the no wave it actually the way to go... might be an unpopular opinion though.
Looks mint on that nato!!!

never seen a IWC in the flesh but for some reason they don't do it for me, at least not in photos. I'm sure the quality is there though and real watch heads tend to give them a lot of love. would be interesting to see how my opinion of them changes when I finally see one...

Radbloke

• Rep: 75
  • Quit jivin me, turkey.
« Reply #517 on: July 19, 2021, 05:55:03 AM »
@Radbloke welcome! what a grand entrance you made!
I know exactly the SMP you're talking about, kind of a transition model for them. was contemplating one for a bit, but for some reason I like bezels that age (hence why I also sold my aquis) and it got a thickness update with the coaxial movement right? Still very clean, I actually like the no wave dial here; I also only like the wave dial with the sword hand combo like on the 2254.50, with the skeleton hands I think the no wave it actually the way to go... might be an unpopular opinion though.
Looks mint on that nato!!!

never seen a IWC in the flesh but for some reason they don't do it for me, at least not in photos. I'm sure the quality is there though and real watch heads tend to give them a lot of love. would be interesting to see how my opinion of them changes when I finally see one...

Thanks man! Been into watches forever, it certainly seems a lot more people are joining the hobby over the last few years which is great.

Regarding the SMP - the no wave models are almost the same thickness as the older models, 13mm I think. These were in the period when Omega was really trying to work out how to make the co-axial movements strong and reliable. They stuck it in the ETA movement for development, the last of which they got right with the 2500d. The later in-house co-axials are when they really put on some heft. There's a big fanbase among Omega heads for watches with these movements, they were in the first generation Planet Oceans as well.

As for IWC, they lost a lot of OG fans over the last 10 to 15 years but are really getting their shit together recently. They're definitely not for everyone and a lot of people rag on them for being overpriced, but check one out at a dealer if you get a chance. In the hand the quality is evident. Plus they're doing 8 year extended warranty now! Definitely one to buy used though as they don't tend to hold value.

Uncle Jeffrey

• Rep: 36
« Reply #518 on: July 19, 2021, 12:56:53 PM »
Love me some inexpensive automatics. Pretty much anything with gears and no fuel needed is rad in my book.

Got the little Seiko as my first watch. Then got a couple cheesy Vostok Amphibias. First watches in space yo, and super cheap but have a reliable 200+m rating. I beat the shit out of them and they're boxed up needing service.

Nicest watch is Chinese as fuck, but in a "actual Chinese company" way and not a "we'll make you the cheapest shit to put your name on" way. Seagull makes a ton of nice movements that other companies put in their own cases. This one was a limited run. A little big for my wrist, but the new Uncle Seiko strap has revitalized it as a daily driver. Absolutely love the second hand.

Last up is a vintage Seiko from April, 1980. Kinda digging it on the bracelet. Feels like I could work in a mall and sell someone a really nice cassette player for their home living room. It also has weird dimensions. Something like a 38mm case but 22mm lugs. Uses the same size strap as the big 44mm diver.

download all jpg from website

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #519 on: July 20, 2021, 07:37:30 AM »
Quite hard to photograph but I just got one of these delivered, BNIB for a great price:
https://www.instagram.com/p/CRjWCRnrcED/?utm_medium=copy_link

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #520 on: July 20, 2021, 09:12:52 PM »
@Radbloke that's cool that you have a somewhat rare SMP, would make a good talking point with other watch nerds. Will keep my ICWs in the flesh, haven't completely written them off yet!

@Uncle Jeffrey all good mate, there's some great watches out there that don't break the bank. Take your Seiko 5 SNK for example: I still love mine to this day, super versatile and looks great on a number of straps. Your diver almost looks like a Helios
« Last Edit: July 20, 2021, 10:56:02 PM by Gay Imp Sausage Metal »

doctorkickflip

• Rep: 44
« Reply #521 on: July 21, 2021, 06:47:59 AM »
Any of you guys ever use Jomashop? I'm eyeing a Tudor Pelagos and trying to decide if the more than 1k in savings is worth not having a manufacturer's warranty...

I'm heading to Hong Kong this winter so maybe I should just wait til then and get one from a retailer tax-free?

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #522 on: July 21, 2021, 07:00:08 AM »
Any of you guys ever use Jomashop? I'm eyeing a Tudor Pelagos and trying to decide if the more than 1k in savings is worth not having a manufacturer's warranty...

I'm heading to Hong Kong this winter so maybe I should just wait til then and get one from a retailer tax-free?
have heard mixed reviews, a lot of times they won’t have the watches in stock either even when they say they do so you’re waiting around twiddling your thumbs. Personally I’ve never bought from an AD, but if I was going to buy a Grand Seiko or something that expensive brand new, I probably would just for the piece of mind. Grey market gets weird when it comes to warranty too...
I really enjoy the hunt in the 2nd hand market to be honest, lots of people buy and flip watches (myself included) so you can get some really good deals ... see my Hamilton up there: it was purchased in January this year and still had the protective film/ stickers on it, still well within warranty and I paid less than half retail price. But yeah, I think if you’re going to fork out for a Pelagos, you might as well get the whole experience no?

Edit:
Also, isn’t the Pelagos movement in-house? My bb36 is basically an ETA so it doesn’t need to go back to Rolex for the service. In-house movements will though.
I also know brands like Oris charge you double the price for a service if it’s a grey market watch so it might work out cheaper in the long run if you’re going to hold onto it for a while...
« Last Edit: July 21, 2021, 04:28:27 PM by Gay Imp Sausage Metal »

doctorkickflip

• Rep: 44
« Reply #523 on: July 21, 2021, 08:20:17 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]
have heard mixed reviews, a lot of times they won’t have the watches in stock either even when they don’t so you’re waiting around twiddling your thumbs. Personally I’ve never bought from an AD, but if I was going to buy a Grand Seiko or something that expensive brand new, I probably would just for the piece of mind. Grey market gets weird when it comes to warranty too...
I really enjoy the hunt in the 2nd hand market to be honest, lots of people buy and flip watches (myself included) so you can get some really good deals ... see my Hamilton up there: it was purchased January this year and still had the protective film/ stickers on it, still well within warranty and I paid less than half retail price. But yeah, I think if you’re going to fork out for a Pelagos, you might as well get the whole experience no?

Edit:
Also, isn’t the Pelagos movement in-house? My bb36 is basically an ETA so it doesn’t need to go back to Rolex for the service. In-house movements will though.
I also know brands like Oris charge you double the price for a service if it’s a grey market watch so it might work out cheaper in the long run if you’re going to hold onto it for a while...
Word, thanks for the wisdom.

It's in-house, yeah. How often can you expect to have it serviced? the warranty only lasts five years as far as I can tell. I guess that would give me peace of mind, but I would be surprised to have something fuck up that early with such an aggressively tested peice. How often do you get your black bay serviced/repaired?

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #524 on: July 21, 2021, 04:34:39 PM »
service intervals will depend on lots of factors: as a general rule of thumb, 5 years, but you could probably go a bit longer depending on how often the watch is in rotation and whether or not it is still keeping good time. My BB36 was pretty much brand new when I bought it so it won't need one for a while, for the first service I'll probably do it through Rolex but I'm dreading the quote!

You don't think you need a warranty, but even high end brands make mistakes. I recently had a Oris big crown pointer (admittedly not really high-end, more mid-tier) where the rotor would wind up and would spin frantically when you hand wound it. Luckily, it still had a month left on the warranty so it didn't cost me a cent...
Maybe read up on some reviews of the Pelagos, is it known to have issues? Black bays seem to be fine but I think Tudor did have some problems with their GMT which could get expensive if they aren’t covering repair costs for you.
Pelgaos aren't exactly rare though, could you pick one up locally 2nd hand that is still within warranty?
« Last Edit: July 21, 2021, 09:26:32 PM by Gay Imp Sausage Metal »

PC500

• Rep: 6
« Reply #525 on: August 02, 2021, 04:17:07 AM »
Busted this out today, definitely deserves all the hype it gets!

https://www.instagram.com/p/CRX-I9LrgoC/?utm_medium=copy_link

If I could only own one watch, this would be a serious contender.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #526 on: August 02, 2021, 06:02:36 AM »
@PC500 and it would be a solid choice that you wouldn’t ever regret because it is so simple and yet so refined, and it goes with whatever you are wearing!

I think my mid-size seamaster *might* just beat it though for a few reasons:

1. 19mm lugs, I don’t own any other 19mm straps so it will always be on the bracelet, but if you like to change up the way you wear it, it could get tricky...

2. Links to 1 but the bracelet is near impossible to remove by mere mortals. Again, it’s Rolex level quality so you don’t really need to take it off the bracelet, but should you feel the need to, you’re shit out of luck because those tolerances are way too tight!

3. It looks 100% more balanced without a date, but when I’m at work, it would be good if I could just glance down in case I forget.

So yeah, minor issues in the scheme of things and I still absolutely love it, but if it came down to the two I’d probably pick the more versatile black omega SMP.
I’m a bit of an omega fanboy though, so that could easily just be me being biased...
Again though, it’s an amazing watch and easily worthy of being someone’s one and only!

Is no one buying anything at the moment?
Still honeymooning with this one hard:
https://www.instagram.com/p/CRp7mE7LRPo/?utm_medium=copy_link
80 hour power reserve is certainly one of its strong points, though its whole aesthetic isn’t exactly shabby either!

whale

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 199
« Reply #527 on: August 15, 2021, 07:27:13 AM »
You guys got some nice pieces!
Just got this today, I know it’s a cheap quartz but hope it’s OK to post.

I wanna get a automatic at some point, prob a Seiko 5 of some sort.
Something small coz my wrists are tiny.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #528 on: August 15, 2021, 07:44:16 AM »
You guys got some nice pieces!
Just got this today, I know it’s a cheap quartz but hope it’s OK to post.

I wanna get a automatic at some point, prob a Seiko 5 of some sort.
Something small coz my wrists are tiny.
no problem whatsoever, great value to be had in cheap quartz watches and I think your Casio has some cool vintage vibes!!!
My first automatic was a Seiko 5 SNK and to this day I still think it’s a fantastic watch despite owning omegas and tudors! If you want any advice about smaller watches, don’t hesitate to ask; I’m aiming to have my whole collection under 38mm, ideally all around the 36mm mark because I think that is the Goldilocks case size … (at least for my wrist)

whale

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #529 on: August 15, 2021, 08:13:20 AM »
^thanks man, definitely went for the vintage look.
And yes, any and all recommendations would be appreciated! Entry-level price range, so maybe 500 max?

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #530 on: August 16, 2021, 09:48:24 PM »
And yes, any and all recommendations would be appreciated! Entry-level price range, so maybe 500 max?
sweet, $500 will get you something nice. What size is your wrist? And what type of watches do you like (diver, field, sports etc.)?
I’m thinking Hamilton or marathon, but it will depend on your tastes …

whale

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #531 on: August 17, 2021, 05:49:27 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
sweet, $500 will get you something nice. What size is your wrist? And what type of watches do you like (diver, field, sports etc.)?
My wrist is just under 7” so I’m thinking 38mm max.
Probably looking for a field watch, but do love a nice simple diver too! Something with either very minimalistic or no bezel.
Hamilton Khaki is a contender but not entirely sold on the 12/24h dial
Just browsed some watches online and the Spinnaker Cahill looks fantastic, but alas 40mm..

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #532 on: August 17, 2021, 06:53:52 AM »
Yeah, 38mm on paper should be the max you can go, maybe a smidgen bigger if it has short lugs. Having said that, a watch with no bezel will have a bigger face than say a diver.
Personally I’d stay away from micro brands at least until you have something “stable” in your collection. I don’t hate them by any means, but it’s better to have something that you’ll keep rather than bouncing around trends, because you’ll just end up flipping a lot of your watches (I should know, I’ve flipped tonnes over the years)
« Last Edit: August 17, 2021, 07:04:42 AM by Gay Imp Sausage Metal »

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #533 on: August 17, 2021, 06:57:17 AM »
Hamilton khaki auto is a good option, and what I was initially thinking:
https://www.jomashop.com/hamilton-watch-h70455133.html
Get it on the bracelet though and then swap out when you need some variety.
Okay so you’re not sold on the dial layout but can we look at it on paper?
It’s Swiss made, has military history (and the brand has heritage), it has an 80 hour power reserve, see through case back, a very well made bracelet and some cool finishing especially in this price range (the dial has a lot of cool texture too). It also has 100m water resistance which makes it a great contender for a go anywhere do anything type of watch. It’s versatile and looks great on nearly any strap you can throw at it!!
If you look at the hands, the hour hand points directly too the 24hr numerals which I actually think is pretty cool and links back to said military history.

Edit: Whoops I posted the king, I meant the standard 38mm version: https://item.rakuten.co.jp/nanaple/h70515137/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI36rPoZu48gIVWkFgCh1OGw_nEAQYASABEgInsvD_BwE&scid=af_sp_etc&sc2id=af_113_0_10001868&icm_cid=1428236365&icm_agid=56157977735&icm_acid=152-237-2243

Not sure what else you could get in that price range as all divers around those $$$ are too big (bar maybe lorier but it’s 39mm). Tha hammy punches above it’s weight here but let me see what else I can think of…

Seiko Sarb033/35: pricey these days (I bought mine new for less than $300) BUT a very good contender here and you won’t need much else once you own one! Bomb dimensions and you get a lot of watch even at around $450
https://www.instagram.com/p/B_yozMQjfaV/?utm_medium=copy_link

https://longislandwatch.com/amp/marathon-general-purpose-watch-ww194003/ Or the general purpose version? I recommend one to someone on here with small wrists and they DM-ed me to say they absolutely love it. Having said that, unlike the hammy you can’t dress this one up. Not a problem per se because you could rock your Casio with work attire but this one will look out of place with a suit… will be right at home in the skatepark though!
« Last Edit: August 17, 2021, 07:32:40 AM by Gay Imp Sausage Metal »

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #534 on: August 17, 2021, 07:05:06 AM »
I tattooed Nixon on my wrist.
a true connoisseur if ever I saw one

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #535 on: August 17, 2021, 07:23:58 AM »
36mm glycine combat sub is a smidgen over your price range but would be a great contender … although it has 24hr time too
https://www.instagram.com/p/CQJeIB-rKxo/?utm_medium=copy_link

Timex marlin handwound could be good if you’re looking for something classic and very simple. Do you need a date function @whale?
https://www.instagram.com/p/Bpua1PqHfxU/?utm_medium=copy_link

whale

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #536 on: August 17, 2021, 07:49:10 AM »
Thanks for all the recommendations GISM, really appreciated!
The Hamilton does look pretty damn nice, I’ll let you guys know what I end up with

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #537 on: August 17, 2021, 08:10:28 AM »
The Hamilton does look pretty damn nice, I’ll let you guys know what I end up with
no worries, not sure if it's possible where you live but try and physically try on some watches before you buy.
Also, I forgot that Seiko also dropped a 38mm diver this year. Still haven't seen one in the flesh...
https://www.instagram.com/p/CNHDclujt7L/?utm_source=ig_embed&ig_rid=9913f2a8-b595-453d-b13f-8ec09683201c
edit: it's not automatic though :(

whale

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #538 on: August 17, 2021, 08:15:48 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
no worries, not sure if it's possible where you live but try and physically try on some watches before you buy.
Also, I forgot that Seiko also dropped a 38mm diver this year. Still haven't seen one in the flesh...
https://www.instagram.com/p/CNHDclujt7L/?utm_source=ig_embed&ig_rid=9913f2a8-b595-453d-b13f-8ec09683201c
edit: it's not automatic though :(
That sadly isn’t really a option here..

PC500

• Rep: 6
« Reply #539 on: August 18, 2021, 09:38:17 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]
My wrist is just under 7” so I’m thinking 38mm max.
Probably looking for a field watch, but do love a nice simple diver too! Something with either very minimalistic or no bezel.
Hamilton Khaki is a contender but not entirely sold on the 12/24h dial
Just browsed some watches online and the Spinnaker Cahill looks fantastic, but alas 40mm..

I've got a Hamilton Khaki 38mm, love it. It's my daily driver at the moment, on the bracelet.