Author Topic: Watches  (Read 45247 times)

pica

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -36
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Re: Watches
« Reply #120 on: May 05, 2020, 12:21:59 AM »
Hahaj, nah dude, thx but thats not worth the effort.
Thanks for the offer though.
Every once in a while they drop prices an some models to 99 or 89, you just have to wait.

Sila

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 319
  • Jamu Gost
« Reply #121 on: May 05, 2020, 04:32:58 AM »
Something about watches bothers me. Often times they are expensive. This can be justified by many things. Metals. Like Gay Imp Sausage Metal, as an example. Very valuable. Or Gold. The sort of thing you buy from a crooked jeweler to launder drug money. Diamonds. Bling. Again, nothing inherently wrong with any of these things beyond common decency.

As for "gayest of industries"; forgive the imposition. I'm reminded more of the boy's club, secret handshake, bro-mance form of gay. Cult-like behavior.
My first post was about Russian Mobsters exchanging expensive watches for political favors. It could be any mobster, really, and the point stands.

It's just obvious you are very interested in watches. Like you've been waiting your whole life just to talk about watches.

Skateboarding.

pica

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #122 on: May 05, 2020, 11:15:43 AM »

Here‘s my Timex Waterbury. Is my beater, i’ve worn it for hiking, repair stuff and to work here and there. The indiglo has come in usefull more than once. It‘s was a bargain for 22euros so unfortunately i can not use it to pay druglords or to bribe the local major. Still i can wear it to flex in da bar since chicks have no ideas about brands and my homies wear no watches at all.
Also great for secret handshakes in the boy-club.

layzieyez

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1475
  • Illusion Flip
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #123 on: May 05, 2020, 11:20:06 AM »
I wear a generic fitbit style watch. I also have a solar powered g shock that I used to wear with my uniform in the navy.

Chris Hansen is back

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 780
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #124 on: May 05, 2020, 03:32:54 PM »

This is my watch, there are many like it, but this one is mine.

jay_nev

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 306
« Reply #125 on: May 05, 2020, 05:55:07 PM »

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1429
  • daddy bought you a pony
« Reply #126 on: May 05, 2020, 06:18:49 PM »
yo gism i never got back to your offer about watch suggestion, much appreciated though! rn due to corona i won't even think about a nice watch, but i will watch this thread to get an idea. probably wouldn't wear it out a lot anyway, but i like putting the little money i have into things that hold value, should i have to or want to get rid of them. probs gonna shoot you a dm when the time comes, hehe. cheers.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 76
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #127 on: May 05, 2020, 09:01:31 PM »
Woah thanks for all the info and recommendations! Just measured my wrist and it´s 17cm. My budget would definitely be on the lower end, I´d say 200-400 euros. Also I have been considering buying one for some time now, but I m not sure if I d really pull the trigger. These SEIKO 5 SNKs look very nice as well.

okay mate, I've been meaning to get back to you for a while now that I know your budget and wrist size.
you initially mentioned divers (specifically the seamaster) so here are my diver suggestions for your budget, I'll try and include pics/ links where possible. Ideally, you'll be looking for something under 40mm if you don't want it to look huge on your wrist.

Dive watches
Seiko SKX013: smaller 38mm version of its big brother. this one is a given and while prices are creeping up due to them being discontinued, I doubt you'd regret picking one up. You can't hand wind them so unless you are wearing it everyday, you'll have to give it a bit of a "Seiko shuffle" to get it going. https://www.instagram.com/p/B_0Q_gUgj45/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

Citizen ny0040: see my Instagram for this one. It's actually 42mm but wears small (more like a 40mm) and your wrist is larger than mine so I think you'll be able to rock it. I'm a fan of these, and while not as popular as the SKX, I think they give them a good run for their money. Like the SKX they are also discontinued so you'll have to find them on eBay/ watch selling sites. most of them come on a rubber strap but you could chuck it on some shark mesh and make it look tough ala:
https://www.instagram.com/p/B2JETwAHoj8/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

Lorier Neptune: Microbrand watch and just within your budget but they definitely have some early omega seamaster influences and always get rave reviews. I own one, see my pic a few pages back, and at 39mm it wears well on smaller wrists. Hard to come by though and they literally sell out within minutes. Beautiful watches tho!!!
https://www.instagram.com/p/Bu3zLT1HyOC/?igshid=1c22r8z9zl8ip

Maen Hudson: Another micro brand in 38mm but this time it's Swiss made and right on the money for you. That midnight blue version looks fine! Never owned one but they get good reviews for the most part. https://www.instagram.com/p/B8iJHAZHDg5/?igshid=k5ei6g96tia1

https://www.maenwatches.com/collections/hudson-38-automatic/products/hudson-38-automatic-date-midnight-blue

Steinhart 39 OVM: Originally came in 42mm but you can get a 39mm exclusive version through gnomon in Singapore. Maybe a tad over your budget but Swiss made and this one is a direct homage to a Rolex military diver that is virtually impossible to get anymore unless you have $100,000 or more to spend. Great watches for the money, Swiss movement and nice finishing. The lugs are a tad flat so they won't curve around your wrist as much as the other watches I posted, but I guess that's how old school dive watches wore (the Lorier lugs are flattish too). I doubt you'd be disappointed if you picked up one of these.
https://www.instagram.com/p/Bpk9QKAnb1Q/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

I guess if you're into the whole navy/ military look you could also look into one of these?
https://www.timefactors.com/precistaprs82.htm
I think that’s what the British navy used after their contract was up with omega?

When you say seamaster, can you give me an idea of what era seamaster we are talking? Do you mean the bond watch?

Field Watches
Now I already showed you the Seiko SNK 80# series which are still great value for what you pay, but I want to chuck two more watches out there.

Hamilton Khaki Field Auto: imho this is crazy value for money and you’re getting a watch that has deep history and military ties, Swiss made and it's still under $400 USD. The size is prefect and can match basically any outfit bar maybe a tuxedo. The newer versions have a 80 hour power reserve too meaning that you could wear it All week, take it off for the weekend and it will still be ticking on Monday morning. If you don't plan on swimming with it, then I think this is a really strong contender for a perfect one watch collection that would last you forever and isn’t going to go out of style anytime soon.
https://www.instagram.com/p/B7VRbBaHv10/?igshid=8h0x7vkf7lq0

you can pick them up for less than $400 here: https://www.jomashop.com/hamilton-khaki-mens-watch-h70515137.html
have a good look into this one, not many can compete with it.

Also have a look at these Marathon military watches, they are only 34mm and you can pick them up for a good price. Absolute tank of a watch and actually has tritium tubes inside to keep in glowing all day/ night. Hard to dress up but they are great looking watches imho
https://www.instagram.com/p/B6TWTvAHj3W/?igshid=ulnll780gs7y

https://www.gnomonwatches.com/collections/marathon/products/gpm-government-black-mechanical-ref-ww194003bk
« Last Edit: May 06, 2020, 04:03:20 AM by Gay Imp Sausage Metal »

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #128 on: May 05, 2020, 09:31:21 PM »
I wear a generic fitbit style watch. I also have a solar powered g shock that I used to wear with my uniform in the navy.

Nothing wrong with a solar powered G-shock, they are the ultimate zombie apocalypse watch! Do you have the one that links up to a radio tower every night at midnight for near perfect accuracy? I guess I depends on where you live in the world, but that function is ridics if you think about it. It’s essentially an atomic clock on your wrist!!!

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #129 on: May 05, 2020, 09:32:33 PM »

Here‘s my Timex Waterbury. Is my beater, i’ve worn it for hiking, repair stuff and to work here and there. The indiglo has come in usefull more than once. It‘s was a bargain for 22euros so unfortunately i can not use it to pay druglords or to bribe the local major. Still i can wear it to flex in da bar since chicks have no ideas about brands and my homies wear no watches at all.
Also great for secret handshakes in the boy-club.
What timex do good is that they don’t stray too far from classic designs meaning that they actually look like they are a lot more expensive than they actually are. Your piece has some nice field watch vibes and those type of watches will never go out of style. 
Timex have a great history and if I didn’t have my g-shock I’d probably own one as my ultimate beater watch. Wear it with pride … and get that booty in tha club!

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #130 on: May 05, 2020, 09:33:16 PM »

This is my watch, there are many like it, but this one is mine.
That Eterna is a thing of beauty! I’m glad you’re stoked on it, kind of an under the radar brand but if someone recognizes it on your wrist you can guarantee they are a watch nerd! What are the dimensions of it btw?
« Last Edit: May 06, 2020, 12:32:09 AM by Gay Imp Sausage Metal »

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #131 on: May 05, 2020, 09:33:52 PM »

The Samurai!!! How’s the fit on that bad boy? Should work well with your wrist size no? You need to get some natos for it, although I've heard the bracelet is pretty good quality for Seiko. The textured dial looks like it would pop in the right light and that knurled crown is TANK!!!
« Last Edit: May 05, 2020, 10:43:25 PM by Gay Imp Sausage Metal »

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #132 on: May 05, 2020, 09:36:51 PM »
yo gism i never got back to your offer about watch suggestion, much appreciated though! rn due to corona i won't even think about a nice watch, but i will watch this thread to get an idea. probably wouldn't wear it out a lot anyway, but i like putting the little money i have into things that hold value, should i have to or want to get rid of them. probs gonna shoot you a dm when the time comes, hehe. cheers.
No worries, hit me up anytime, sometimes it might take me a while to get back to you but I’m always down to nerd out and give recs! maybe a vintage omega or something like that might be a good move, they don’t really depreciate even if you own them for a few years.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2020, 01:13:19 AM by Gay Imp Sausage Metal »

jay_nev

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #133 on: May 06, 2020, 04:41:53 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]
The Samurai!!! How’s the fit on that bad boy? Should work well with your wrist size no? You need to get some natos for it, although I've heard the bracelet is pretty good quality for Seiko. The textured dial looks like it would pop in the right light and that knurled crown is TANK!!!
it feels big tbh. 7” wrist but skinny. Not in love with the PADI edition/collab as I’m not gonna be diving with it.. seems excessive. The textured dial is sick. I might exchange it.

pica

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #134 on: May 06, 2020, 06:09:33 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
No worries, hit me up anytime, sometimes it might take me a while to get back to you but I’m always down to nerd out and give recs! maybe a vintage omega or something like that might be a good move, they don’t really depreciate even if you own them for a few years.
Speaking of vintage omegas, last month i was to slow on this quartz seamaster.

The seller asked 180 euros for it on the local
Craigslist thing. Of course it was gone when i called.
It‘s now back up again for 500 by somebody else
« Last Edit: May 06, 2020, 06:21:07 AM by pica »

EdLawndale

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1079
    • My Wife avatar image
« Reply #135 on: May 07, 2020, 01:46:51 AM »
Everytime I see this thread in Whatever, at first glance I think it is titled "Witches"
"Was just about to say, wtf is up with this EdLawndale guy?"

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 518
« Reply #136 on: May 07, 2020, 02:10:22 AM »
completely forgot about marathon general purposes. the quartz one seems like a good skateable beater, wonder if the second hand lines up correctly though hmmmm

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #137 on: May 07, 2020, 03:53:41 AM »
completely forgot about marathon general purposes. the quartz one seems like a good skateable beater, wonder if the second hand lines up correctly though hmmmm
it’s milspec so I’m guessing it would? Even if you went with the one I posted, it only has a rudimentary Seiko movement in it so even if you broke it skating it wouldn’t cost much to repair. Like the Hamilton khaki mechanical though, I’m sure these watches can take a pretty massive beating.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #138 on: May 07, 2020, 04:58:23 AM »
Everytime I see this thread in Whatever, at first glance I think it is titled "Witches"
witches are cool but I think we should give them their own thread

pica

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #139 on: May 07, 2020, 03:05:00 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
it’s milspec so I’m guessing it would? Even if you went with the one I posted, it only has a rudimentary Seiko movement in it so even if you broke it skating it wouldn’t cost much to repair. Like the Hamilton khaki mechanical though, I’m sure these watches can take a pretty massive beating.

Never heard of these but these mararathons look really interesting. I guess they are the standard us army watch or something? Pretty sure they can take a beating.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #140 on: May 07, 2020, 03:11:48 PM »
Pica, check out the GSAR in 36mm by marathon, fucking beast of a watch!

As most of you know I’m kinda an automatic only type of guy but the other day I started reading about quartz grand Seikos and then I went down that rabbit hole and am kinda thinking about one of these:
https://www.instagram.com/p/B2g1AAfHc94/?igshid=1ptuo21d8843z
+/- 10 seconds a year😱
If it was 36-38mm I think I’d already own it.

jay_nev

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #141 on: May 07, 2020, 06:07:07 PM »
Impressive. Dig it. Learn something new everyday

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #142 on: May 09, 2020, 12:25:40 AM »

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #143 on: May 10, 2020, 01:08:13 AM »
Looks like I may have a buyer on the Lorier; bought it for 399 a year or so ago, he’s going to pay 400 for it. If you buy watches that get a lot of hype in the watch world, you can at least break even or make money on them.
SARB035 went for $50 more than I paid for it, I had it for 2 years. Probably could’ve gotten more but trying to consolidate at the moment.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2020, 01:39:42 AM by Gay Imp Sausage Metal »

blurst_of_times

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 794
    • Skateboarding Magazine Scans avatar image
« Reply #144 on: May 10, 2020, 06:53:43 AM »
When I was younger, I read Rodney Mullen's biography and read about how he wore a digital Casio watch so that he could time his practice contest runs. I wore a Casio digital watch for years because of that
There was no wire. Clark's planet needed him.
 Note: Clark Hassler died on the way back to his home planet.

pica

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #145 on: May 10, 2020, 09:39:41 AM »
Sounds good, but wouldn‘t you miss it when it‘s gone?

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #146 on: May 10, 2020, 03:12:56 PM »
Sounds good, but wouldn‘t you miss it when it‘s gone?
I have too many watches and not enough wrists. In an ideal world I’d almost like to do something like this: https://wornandwound.com/three-watch-collection-under-5000-caleb-liams-picks/

As I mentioned a few pages back too, I’m saving for this and hoping it will be the only seiko/ blue diver in my collection:
https://www.instagram.com/p/B-qfjB8HOQr/?igshid=o3t3je9xz2zv

https://www.instagram.com/p/B_EMU3kDifS/?igshid=yvjd9wnuf8jb

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #147 on: May 10, 2020, 05:15:25 PM »
When I was younger, I read Rodney Mullen's biography and read about how he wore a digital Casio watch so that he could time his practice contest runs. I wore a Casio digital watch for years because of that

that seems like the perfect watch for him! Probably had the calculator version too

pica

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #148 on: May 12, 2020, 04:02:28 PM »
Does anybody understand what people find about Richard  mille watches?

I mean i get it the craftmanship is impressive, but still these things are ugly as fuck.

They seem like something will smith could‘ve worn in wild wild west. Maybe it‘s just me and people love that  steampunk vibe.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #149 on: May 12, 2020, 04:20:58 PM »
↑ yuck! Lots of high end watches out there look terrible and have wack proportions. I wouldn’t be caught dead wearing that.

Let’s get back to classy watches 😜
https://www.instagram.com/p/CAGx_Udn9vl/?igshid=yw4qj84ph3kt