Author Topic: Guitar Thread  (Read 6675 times)

artskool

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 21
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: Guitar Thread
« Reply #210 on: April 26, 2022, 12:38:33 PM »
I've recently been playing smaller bodied guitars- got a 70's Yamaha FG75 that is super comfortable for playing around the house. Sounds pretty decent, but not amazing recorded. Much better than a modern day cheap acoustic if you can find a good one. Some of the recording king small body guitars are pretty cool for under $500, but don't sound that amazing.

You might be able to find a used Martin 15 series, which are super nice to play and sound pretty great. I'm thinking about selling my 2007 DC-15E to upgrade to a more $$$ Martin. DM me if you're interested.

I am looking into buying a new acoustic guitar. I consider myself a decent player, and want something with a good sound for playing around the house and recording on GarageBand. I currently just have a couple crappy ones and want something new that sounds good and is fun to play.

I am intrigued by the baby Taylorís and the Fender Malibu, but I donít know anything about small bodies. 

I am probably willing to drop about a grand and am just wondering if anyone has any good recommendations.

I just need to hit up a couple shops and start playing around, but any recommendations would be appreciated.

Mantracker

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 98
« Reply #211 on: April 26, 2022, 05:23:09 PM »
I am looking into buying a new acoustic guitar. I consider myself a decent player, and want something with a good sound for playing around the house and recording on GarageBand. I currently just have a couple crappy ones and want something new that sounds good and is fun to play.

I am intrigued by the baby Taylorís and the Fender Malibu, but I donít know anything about small bodies. 

I am probably willing to drop about a grand and am just wondering if anyone has any good recommendations.

I just need to hit up a couple shops and start playing around, but any recommendations would be appreciated.

If you're looking for a smaller body parlor type guitar than I recommend this one:

https://artandlutherieguitars.com/product/roadhouse-bourbon-burst

It was one of those guitars that I picked up in the store to play and couldn't leave without buying it. I've got lots of compliments on it and the sound is great. It's smaller scale so super easy to play and bring around the house.

Uncle Flea

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 691
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #212 on: May 10, 2022, 11:35:26 AM »
I been thinking about making my own pickups. I know how to do it. I seen it done.

Iím not sure what I need tho?  I wanna hand wind them them and sell them for less.
Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 978
  • daddy bought you a pony
« Reply #213 on: May 10, 2022, 02:26:22 PM »
I been thinking about making my own pickups. I know how to do it. I seen it done.

Iím not sure what I need tho?  I wanna hand wind them them and sell them for less.

you can get the bare pickups without wire and then all you need to do is get wire and wind them up. i've seen people build contraptions to wind them up proper. this for example is from a german site, but i reckon you can get something like that from sweetwater or any good guitar shop:

https://www.thomann.de/de/goeldo_puk90_pickup_winding_kit.htm

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #214 on: May 10, 2022, 03:24:26 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

you can get the bare pickups without wire and then all you need to do is get wire and wind them up. i've seen people build contraptions to wind them up proper. this for example is from a german site, but i reckon you can get something like that from sweetwater or any good guitar shop:

https://www.thomann.de/de/goeldo_puk90_pickup_winding_kit.htm

Sick. I wish I had an electric winder with a counter.

Iím going to give it a shot. I already got ceramic mags
(A)pl(E)

El Fapinator

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -243
  • (0_o) whatever dog you probably suck at it
« Reply #215 on: May 29, 2022, 10:47:17 AM »

Behold my doom tower of power and destruction.  Fender 350 combo rumble with two 10Ē speakers stacked with peavey PA in to Berhinger 15Ē cabinet.  Alongside Big muff and berhinger metal pedal.

My SG is named Nadene and the Thunderbird is Linda.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2022, 11:03:45 AM by El Fapinator »
Dueces Bitch's

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #216 on: June 15, 2022, 09:28:47 AM »
Got my hands on a jhs 3 fuzz. Itís pretty sick for a modern silicone fuzz face. The bias is very cool.

It must be heavily eqed because Iím not playing blues.
(A)pl(E)

thanksgiving

• Rep: 129
« Reply #217 on: June 19, 2022, 10:02:13 PM »
bit of a noob question here. trying to figure out the logistics of playing live.

how can i keep my volume consistent, while changing the distortion level in my pedal? i want to intro a song with distortion then have it fade into a clean tone, while maintaining level.

i need like a volume pedal, but for the distortion knob on my rat

riff>ring out while distortion goes down(i need to do this with my feet)>clean tone

fineslime

• Rep: -22
« Reply #218 on: June 21, 2022, 02:08:42 PM »

Behold my doom tower of power and destruction.  Fender 350 combo rumble with two 10Ē speakers stacked with peavey PA in to Berhinger 15Ē cabinet.  Alongside Big muff and berhinger metal pedal.

My SG is named Nadene and the Thunderbird is Linda.

What year is the SG? I was never really a fan or appreciated these guitars until I watched this:

http://youtu.be/wDwYAKtMig8

I still haven't had a chance to play one though.

Excellent channel for guitar enthusiasts, nerds, and gear heads btw. About 3 months ago I found out my mom's mom's maternal family were Gibson's. Gibson was originally based in Kalamazoo where my mom was born and her grandparents lived. After hearing this, for the first time I want to trace my lineage to see if there's any relation. The odds sound pretty good, right??

palelight

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Rep: 148
« Reply #219 on: June 28, 2022, 03:54:12 AM »
bit of a noob question here. trying to figure out the logistics of playing live.

how can i keep my volume consistent, while changing the distortion level in my pedal? i want to intro a song with distortion then have it fade into a clean tone, while maintaining level.

i need like a volume pedal, but for the distortion knob on my rat

riff>ring out while distortion goes down(i need to do this with my feet)>clean tone

Short answer, not easy. You wanna gradually fade the distortion into a clean tone, right? With digital modeller stuff it'd be simple programming, but with a couple pedals into a normal amp...little more difficult. You could have the Rat modded so that the distortion knob is controlled via an external expression (foot) pedal. Not super hard to do, but not guaranteed great results (the value of the Rat's distortion knob is pretty mis-matched compared to most expression pedals).

There's a pedal that already does this by design, but they stopped making it a few years ago, you could keep an eye out for a used one, but it's functionally exactly what you're looking for. There's a video in there of the usual boring wankery, but you'll get the idea.
https://reverb.com/ca/item/56427450-ernie-ball-expression-overdrive-pedal?bk=

DERBY

• Rep: 32
« Reply #220 on: June 28, 2022, 03:10:41 PM »
anyone here use any of obneís pedals?

Uh Oh

• Rep: 249
« Reply #221 on: June 28, 2022, 04:27:22 PM »
anyone here use any of obneís pedals?

An Oklahomie gifted me a Dark Star reverb and a Black Fountain delay when I came through their area a couple years ago. Theyíre both stellar builds and loads of fun in their own right but they didnít kick off the EQD Ghost Echo and Afterneath combination that was on my board at the time. They sat on the studio shelf for awhile, were used on a few synth things and then eventually sold..
Iíd like to try an Alpha Haunt fuzz sometime.