Author Topic: Guitar Thread  (Read 19288 times)

Frank

• Mods
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1429
  • daddy bought you a pony
Re: Guitar Thread
« Reply #240 on: September 01, 2022, 12:50:03 PM »
Anybody string up with 11s? I was using Super Slinky 8s for years until I figured I needed fatter trebles. It seems a bit contentious in certain circles, but I did find that the fatter strings held the pitch better through/after bends. The tone was a lot more satisfying as well. Sort of more work and less work at the same time as they're harder to bend but there's less retuning. Of course if you go back to 8s or 9s you're going to accidentally do a 4-step bend.

yeah, but i play a jaguar, and it helps alot with keeping it in tune. and i'm so used to heavy strings that 10s and under feel flimsy now.

i wanna try these next:

https://www.thomann.de/de/ernie_ball_2226.htm

EDIT:

also i just love how the top string rumbles, just sounds dope. it's a kind of rumble that you don't get until you hit that 11 top gauge.

JB

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 858
  • Rusty Berrings Roll Forever
« Reply #241 on: September 01, 2022, 01:27:05 PM »
Got a few new guitar's recently. From left to right: 1980's Ibanez Roadstar II, 1960's Kingston (not sure of the model name), 1970's Electra 2227, Godin Radiator. The three on the left were given to me from a friend I used to play in a band with. His neighbor gave them to him a few years ago, but he really only plays acoustic guitar now so he passed them to me. They're all made in Japan. The Godin was given to me from my dad who bought it on FB market, then didn't like how it sounded. It's all chambered beneath that pickguard, but it just sounds like a normal electric guitar to me. There's nothing too special about it, so it will probably just sit around and collect dust, as I now have more guitars than I'll ever need. I believe that one was made in Canada.

Of all of them, the only one I really think is worth playing is the Electra. It's fully hollow, has a great neck and low action and sounds mean as hell. Wicked feedback (in a good way) when you hold down notes and chords, but very controllable. I was originally going to put some cheap amazon p90s in it, but I think I might just stick with the stock buckers. It does need a tech to clean up the electronics as the neck pickup and the switch are a bit fussy, but overall it's a beast of a guitar.

The violin looking one is also fully hollow, but it's a bit of a beater. There's a crack in the back of the body and the neck has a pretty wicked bow. I adjusted the truss rod as much as I could, but it's also a plywood neck and I don't think there's much anyone could do to save that one. A music store in Detroit was ballparking me about $300-350 to get it fixed up, which I don't think is worth it. It's fine for open chords, and maybe slide (which I suck at), but bare chords are pretty tough. Will probably keep just to hang on the wall.

I haven't even played the Ibanez. I've never been a strat guy, and that guitar just doesn't speak to me. I looked them up though, and they fetch a decent price (~$400 was the lowest I saw), so it might be something I trade, or pass along to someone who needs a guitar. I've already got two Fender Mustang's that I love, so I really don't need another solid body guitar.

Uh Oh

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 358
« Reply #242 on: September 01, 2022, 01:54:01 PM »
@JB
What a haul. I kinda like the mother of toilet seat Godin..

Those Japanese cheapies are just fun as heck but are prone to huge inconsistencies (such as functionless truss rods). How does the trem arm function on the Electra? Is it a disaster switch?

Willie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 303
« Reply #243 on: September 01, 2022, 03:34:33 PM »
The Electra looks super cool.

therealnod

• Rep: 36
  • Brevity is
« Reply #244 on: September 01, 2022, 04:39:43 PM »
That Godin looks like fun. Are those single coils?

JB

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #245 on: September 01, 2022, 05:43:46 PM »
@JB
What a haul. I kinda like the mother of toilet seat Godin..

Those Japanese cheapies are just fun as heck but are prone to huge inconsistencies (such as functionless truss rods). How does the trem arm function on the Electra? Is it a disaster switch?

It's pretty stiff. Feels a lot more surfy then the term on my mustang, which I can be totally obnoxious with. It seems to stay in tune pretty well, but as I said, you really can't get the kind of movement to throw it too far of.

I still need to charge the strings on all of them, especially the Electra. I play 9s and the high strings on that feel like fishing line. I didn't even know they made strings that light.

JB

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #246 on: September 01, 2022, 05:58:01 PM »
That Godin looks like fun. Are those single coils?

I honestly don't know. I remember looking it up when I first got it, but I can't remember if they're mini humbuckers or singles.

I think they came out with an improved version of that guitar later on because when I search for it, it usually pulls up something slightly different. The other one looks like it has individual tone and volume knobs, mine has one of each and a blend knob instead of a pickup selector switch. Kinda a weird configuration that I'm not super fond on. I like a switch better.

therealnod

• Brevity is
« Reply #247 on: September 02, 2022, 01:20:30 AM »
From what I've been able to find out they're most likely mini humbuckers. I found a few that fit the description down to having a blend knob and the totally unnecessary "Radiator" raised attachment on the body. The year probably 1999/2000. It's sort of hard to be sure because the bridge looks kind of normal compared to the other bridges. They've got some interesting trem designs.

Steely Daniel

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 456
« Reply #248 on: September 02, 2022, 04:15:25 AM »
I have a La Patrie (Godin basically) classical guitar. Just the student model but it is quite an excellent guitar for the price.

I inherited a 1966 Martin D-26 from my late grandfather which sounds amazing, but I'm not super fond of the V shape neck. I'll never part with it though.

Finally, the electric that I actually play from time to time is a Tribute Series (made in Indonesia) G&L ASAT Special in blue burst. I love the bridge and the MFD pickups. One day I'll get a custom MIA version.

JB

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #249 on: September 02, 2022, 05:58:53 AM »
My dad has a black F-hole acoustic Godin that I really like. It looks super slick, plays great, and has a pretty cool and unique sound for an acoustic. I think he only spent life $200 on it too.

Some of those lesser known brands can be picked up pretty cheap in my area, probably because there's not a ton of serious musicians around. Most people just want Fender and Gibson.

Steely Daniel

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #250 on: September 02, 2022, 06:31:32 AM »
My dad has a black F-hole acoustic Godin that I really like. It looks super slick, plays great, and has a pretty cool and unique sound for an acoustic. I think he only spent life $200 on it too.

Some of those lesser known brands can be picked up pretty cheap in my area, probably because there's not a ton of serious musicians around. Most people just want Fender and Gibson.

G&L guitars have pretty terrible resale value. Not sure if it's the headstock or people just don't know what the L stands for. To me they are better than modern Fender guitars.

Willie

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #251 on: September 02, 2022, 07:42:03 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

G&L guitars have pretty terrible resale value. Not sure if it's the headstock or people just don't know what the L stands for. To me they are better than modern Fender guitars.

It’s the headstock.

I know it’s a stupid reason but I’d totally buy a Doheny or that P90 Tele otherwise.

Steely Daniel

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #252 on: September 02, 2022, 07:05:16 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

It’s the headstock.

I know it’s a stupid reason but I’d totally buy a Doheny or that P90 Tele otherwise.

Bust out the spindle sander on that shark fin.

Uncle Flea

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 963
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #253 on: September 03, 2022, 08:00:13 PM »
I've played large af strings. On my Ibanez S I play not even slinky which is like 12-56.
Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

rukes

• Rep: 211
  • Yabba dabba doo
« Reply #254 on: September 04, 2022, 12:16:36 AM »
I used to run 13's on my jazzmaster, didn't seem that crazy at the time.

Now I have a tele that came with 9s or 10s I think, and I can bend them like crazy
Is it true?  Or did you read it on the slap message board?

Steely Daniel

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #255 on: September 04, 2022, 02:09:02 AM »
I thought I was SRV when I had 11 or 12's on my Strat style guitar as a young buck. To be fair though I often played in standard tuning unless I was tryna do the Stevie or Jimi thing. Wasn't doing myself any favours for sure.

Nothing like a fresh pair of D'Addario 10's these days though.

I gotta start playing more and keep working on some of these Robben Ford songs. Love that dude as a great all-around guitarist, not just always playing lead. Amazing chord work too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oRil3JBW35c

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #256 on: September 04, 2022, 07:29:53 AM »

These are my main standard tuning strang. I'm not stoked on how much plastic is in these tho. I might change
(A)pl(E)

DERBY

• Rep: 226
« Reply #257 on: September 05, 2022, 09:27:26 AM »
i’m trying to get some gated reverb tones and there aren’t many gated reverb pedals out. could i run a gate at the end of my chain to achieve that effect? if so what gate pedals do y’all recommend?

JB

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #258 on: September 07, 2022, 09:14:07 AM »

These are my main standard tuning strang. I'm not stoked on how much plastic is in these tho. I might change

I love these on my Mustang. Basically 9s on the top 3 and 10s on the bottom.

Just put a fresh set of regular slinky 9s on that Electra and realized that the string size isn't the issue, it's the tiny frets. My newer guitars all have pretty big frets, but the small frets on the vintage stuff makes the strings feel super small since theres no resistance. Might go up to 11s on that guitar.

therealnod

• Brevity is
« Reply #259 on: September 07, 2022, 09:20:29 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I love these on my Mustang. Basically 9s on the top 3 and 10s on the bottom.

Just put a fresh set of regular slinky 9s on that Electra and realized that the string size isn't the issue, it's the tiny frets. My newer guitars all have pretty big frets, but the small frets on the vintage stuff makes the strings feel super small since theres no resistance. Might go up to 11s on that guitar.
I believe that is a good idea

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #260 on: September 07, 2022, 09:36:06 AM »

Anyone know what to do here?

I wanna play this guitar but it's covered in beer and puke and there's tons of blood on it from when it hit me in the nose in 2002. There's worse on it for sure I seen it happen

Will the fretboard be rotting?
(A)pl(E)

therealnod

• Brevity is
« Reply #261 on: September 07, 2022, 09:56:34 AM »
It doesn't look too bad. This is pretty much the process:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zoGoiL6Jy-o

flannelslut

• Rep: 5
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #262 on: September 14, 2022, 06:20:45 PM »

Just finished these 2 while I had some slow time at work the last couple of weeks.

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
« Reply #263 on: September 17, 2022, 09:15:47 AM »
^awesome

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #264 on: September 18, 2022, 05:43:14 PM »
https://youtube.com/watch?v=cf9ZdGX8eGM&feature=share&si=EMSIkaIECMiOmarE6JChQQ

Shake Junt x Gibson

I would think shake junt would require a top and some binding. Perhaps some quilting. Or a really green gold top with binding binding binding.

I don't think they make gold top customs tho.

Shake Junt to prs.
Green quilt topp flamed maple binding. Gold hardware. Bound F holes. Abalone Fret birds. Brazilian Rosewood. Bound board. Flamed maple neck and head stock.
Gold top hats.

Dirty Fingers.

Robo tuner so when you shrimp blunted out it's always in tune.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2022, 05:55:07 PM by Uncle Flea »
(A)pl(E)

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #265 on: September 18, 2022, 05:55:42 PM »

Just finished these 2 while I had some slow time at work the last couple of weeks.

Beautiful
(A)pl(E)

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
« Reply #266 on: September 19, 2022, 04:55:48 AM »

Shake Junt x Gibson

I would think shake junt would require a top and some binding. Perhaps some quilting. Or a really green gold top with binding binding binding.

Shake Junt to prs.
Green quilt topp flamed maple binding. Gold hardware. Bound F holes. Abalone Fret birds. Brazilian Rosewood. Bound board. Flamed maple neck and head stock.
Gold top hats.

Dirty Fingers.

i heard these don't even work right? they look so weird on any guitar

that lp is fucking sick.

pizzafliptofakie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1962
« Reply #267 on: September 19, 2022, 06:12:21 AM »
Expand Quote

Shake Junt x Gibson

Shake Junt to prs.
Gold top hats.

Dirty Fingers.

[close]

i heard these don't even work right? they look so weird on any guitar

that lp is fucking sick.

My dad has an SG with the robo tuners and I hate them so much. I've been trying to convince him to have it removed for years.

Willie

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #268 on: September 19, 2022, 06:27:05 AM »
If there’s one thing a SG needs it’s definitely more neck dive.

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #269 on: October 26, 2022, 07:31:45 PM »
I played one of the nicest guitars I've ever played today.

The new Epiphone 50s standard. The neck was perfect. I like the gold top. If it had a nitro finish.

I'm going to maybe trade one of my techniques for one if I can. I barely use them anymore. I really only need one.

The only issue with the guitar is the pickup isn't very hot.

I think if I swapped out the magnet? Idk.
(A)pl(E)