Author Topic: Guitar Thread  (Read 19911 times)

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1094
Re: Guitar Thread
« Reply #300 on: January 07, 2023, 06:07:03 AM »
If you want a Strat and don't care if it's Fender, look into the Peavey Predator. You can find them for $100-150 where I am, and they are made in the USA with two or three-piece bodies, great C-shaped maple necks, rosewood fretboards, etc., all made by CNC so the fittings are exact. A friend of mine has one completely modded out and it's a beautiful and great sounding guitar.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

Frank

• Mods
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1430
  • daddy bought you a pony
« Reply #301 on: January 07, 2023, 06:46:08 AM »
If you want a Strat and don't care if it's Fender, look into the Peavey Predator. You can find them for $100-150 where I am, and they are made in the USA with two or three-piece bodies, great C-shaped maple necks, rosewood fretboards, etc., all made by CNC so the fittings are exact. A friend of mine has one completely modded out and it's a beautiful and great sounding guitar.

yeah those look cool and like a good affordable model to mess around with and mod it to your liking.

my main problem is that guitars are a thing where my rational thinking completely tunes out, because i can't really compromise once i really want certain instruments. so even if i got a predator, or even a real fender strat, i probably still would be curious about what other guitar i'm obsessed with. so it's better if i just don't buy any at all. and if i buy one it must be one i like and want 100%. sometimes that guitar is 200 and sometimes that guitar is 2000(which means i'll never buy it, probably). i just end up not buying instruments most of the time anyway and just fawn over them for extended periods of time.

EDIT: guitars are like skateboards to me. i could probably ride any deck, but there's some irrational stuff that might bother or stoke you out about the graphic or so, which has little effect on your skating actually, but can just be offputting. it's not really rational. it's definitely about aesthetics, nostalgia, and all this weird stuff. which is all unimportant if the instrument doesn't play well. but for a lack of a better way to describe it, i'm definitely a victim of guitar esoterics in this way. that's why i can't explain why i love some copies of famous guitars, while others are kind of unsettling to me.

i know this makes little sense. i'm the type of person that obsesses over a screw in the wrong place just because i feel it isn' right. but some guitars are just like wow, everything on this is perfect in it's own way. that's something that actually makes me want to play more, even if it sounds stupid.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2023, 06:53:30 AM by Frank »

Willie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 306
« Reply #302 on: January 07, 2023, 11:17:48 AM »
Honestly, the skate setup analogy is a good one. I don’t want a guitar that I don’t like the style of. There are plenty of good playing guitars that I wouldn’t want to play. I hate 90% of most Fender copies because of dumb headstocks.

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
« Reply #303 on: January 07, 2023, 03:05:28 PM »
Honestly, the skate setup analogy is a good one. I don’t want a guitar that I don’t like the style of. There are plenty of good playing guitars that I wouldn’t want to play. I hate 90% of most Fender copies because of dumb headstocks.

haha, exactly.

fineslime

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 145
  • I cut my grip with Occam's razor
« Reply #304 on: January 07, 2023, 06:17:51 PM »
Expand Quote
https://imgur.com/gallery/VRb0q70

came in the mail yesterday. it's been playing great right out of the box. this was the first guitar I've owned that I didn't play before hand, and I've always been skeptical about ordering before actually feeling the guitar, but I was impressed with the setup on it. I figured I'd have to take it to get setup right away, but I can definitely get used to the medium set action.

The neck is slender and slides great against the jumbo frets. The natural wood finish looks classy on this style of guitar and there's a bit of a red hue in the bevels on the face or the guitar.

I'm definitely going to swap the pickups eventually, but essentially this guitar was good to go out of the box. The locking nut needed to be adjusted and I'm still learning the trem system, but I'm loving this guitar!
[close]

fucking sick, you really made me want the js42 hardtail version of the dinky. i'm kind of in love with this guitar. i don't even play music that's typically played with jacksons(no metal at all), but definitely looking to get one down the line. just more interesting than your typical (super) strat and everyone says they are fun and easy to play.

Found out something pretty sweet, and extremely convenient, when it comes to the Floyd Rose... Lowering the action was so fucking easy I couldn't believe it at first. All it took was loosening the two bolts in the bridge. I was having a bit of difficulty and uncomfortability playing the stock-action on it. Admittedly it was way too high for my liking, but I tried to get used to it at first.

Lowered it super super easy and now I'm REALLY loving how the guitar plays. Because of the high end pickups and trem system I'm hitting notes so much clearer than I ever have, and the whammy is adding another dimension to my playing I've never had before. I've been playing vintage style semi-hollows and jazz guitars.

My favorite guitar I've owned was an Ibanez Artcore AM93 Expressionist. I really wish I never sold that guitar, but at the time I didn't have the skill to play the guitar how it should have been played... Shit, I'm not even sure if I have the skill now, ha!

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #305 on: January 08, 2023, 08:28:18 AM »

With the possible exception of Musicman, anything Fender shaped without the signature headstock looks like a shitty knockoff you’d buy for your nephew for $50 in a pawn shop.

Coastal Fever

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 509
« Reply #306 on: January 12, 2023, 11:09:58 AM »
I’m beginner-intermediate at best, I’ve got a Yamaha F310 acoustic, and I honestly love it.  The big dreadnought body gives it a really nice, full, warm and rich sound.  But more importantly, it’s the easiest/nicest playing guitar I’ve tried to date, thanks to its narrower, shorter fretboard and low action. 

I have no desire (or money) to replace it anytime soon.. but let’s say I hypothetically could buy ANY other acoustic I want.. but I want it to play as close to the F310 as possible.  What would I be looking at if easy playability and good sound are my top priorities?

A quick google would make one think that the Martin D28 is the “best” acoustic.. but would that have higher action and be geared towards advanced players?

JB

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 857
  • Rusty Berrings Roll Forever
« Reply #307 on: January 12, 2023, 12:05:31 PM »
I’m beginner-intermediate at best, I’ve got a Yamaha F310 acoustic, and I honestly love it.  The big dreadnought body gives it a really nice, full, warm and rich sound.  But more importantly, it’s the easiest/nicest playing guitar I’ve tried to date, thanks to its narrower, shorter fretboard and low action. 

I have no desire (or money) to replace it anytime soon.. but let’s say I hypothetically could buy ANY other acoustic I want.. but I want it to play as close to the F310 as possible.  What would I be looking at if easy playability and good sound are my top priorities?

A quick google would make one think that the Martin D28 is the “best” acoustic.. but would that have higher action and be geared towards advanced players?

I don't know shit about acoustics, but I think this is mostly true of all guitars; the best one is the one that feels best to you. I would just try a bunch of things until you find something that feels the same, or as close to the Yamaha that you have.

My dad's had a bunch of acoustic guitars of all different price ranges and they all feel and play different. Even two of the same brand and body shape/size can play very differently. And I'd be willing to bet that my favorite is different than his favorite, which probably would be different from your favorite too.

pizzafliptofakie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1960
« Reply #308 on: January 12, 2023, 12:10:02 PM »
My acoustic was fairly cheap, but I took it to a really good luthier who did some great work on it, and now I like it more than most of the $1000+ dollar acoustic guitars I try at the store.

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
« Reply #309 on: January 12, 2023, 12:15:51 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

With the possible exception of Musicman, anything Fender shaped without the signature headstock looks like a shitty knockoff you’d buy for your nephew for $50 in a pawn shop.

there's still knock offs that look better and worse. it's not necessarily about it looking og or like a perfect copy. i think the sire headstock i.e. is totally fine. and some hate that one. personally i can't explain sometimes why something bothers me, if it's just aesthetics or whatever.

btw i started to track that peavey guitar. it's not super cheap on the used market over here, but it really grew on me. if i see one pop up in my city for the right price i might check it out, so thanks for pointing me towards one!

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
« Reply #310 on: January 15, 2023, 05:13:34 AM »
wondering if i should buy this washburn bass that's sold for pick up only about an hour away.

150 bucks with the bag, the bass was made in the early 90s korea i think.

Uncle Flea

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 971
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #311 on: January 15, 2023, 01:06:02 PM »
I need pals help.

Can someone help me see if this is worth it. I've been saving for months. Like 6 months I think. I'm 300 away and the seller is firm.

I'm just not happy with my current instrument. The band won't help me purchase either. They think I'm crazy to switch and are against it. They love my sound. This makes me want it more. To prove it's in my hands not in the gear maybe.
I've always dreamt about having a 58 v. And I need a dope instrument because I feel like shit playing a guitar I consider to be a toy.

I'm still 300 shirt but I could sell my current instrument to get it or hawk my technique 1200s and hope I can get them back in 3 months.

Be honest. What is this guitar worth? I doubt it's Korina. Why would someone paint a Korina V?

I have very little time to move on this guitar.

Don't think it has a case unfortunately
Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
« Reply #312 on: January 16, 2023, 06:12:23 AM »
these go new for like 450 on sale here? i've seen them in black with korina body, pretty sure. i guess it depends, the "vintage" ones from around 2000 seem to go up to a 1000 bucks. i see the recent reissues on used sites all the time for around 400, unless they were upgraded with nicer pus and stuff. i wouldn't pay more than 500 for one that was messed with.

don't take my word for it tho, i don't know if it's worth that much. i go buy "that's what i would be willing to pay". so i'd say no more than 500 for the epi v even with upgrades is what i would say. maybe 600 if this has killer pus now that would be worth 200 by themselves.

this might be the reissues from around 2014-15? i just remember i was buying my jag back then and before that almost bought a epi v reissue and back then they had the korina body in natural and black. with the gold hardware too iirc. they were a bit more than the standard ones for the korina, standard went for 400 something and these went up to 600 in germany new i think.

Heshrat

• Rep: -12
« Reply #313 on: January 16, 2023, 07:43:29 PM »
Anybody have a fender duo sonic? Kinda want one
I did your mom

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #314 on: January 16, 2023, 09:10:38 PM »
these go new for like 450 on sale here? i've seen them in black with korina body, pretty sure. i guess it depends, the "vintage" ones from around 2000 seem to go up to a 1000 bucks. i see the recent reissues on used sites all the time for around 400, unless they were upgraded with nicer pus and stuff. i wouldn't pay more than 500 for one that was messed with.

don't take my word for it tho, i don't know if it's worth that much. i go buy "that's what i would be willing to pay". so i'd say no more than 500 for the epi v even with upgrades is what i would say. maybe 600 if this has killer pus now that would be worth 200 by themselves.

this might be the reissues from around 2014-15? i just remember i was buying my jag back then and before that almost bought a epi v reissue and back then they had the korina body in natural and black. with the gold hardware too iirc. they were a bit more than the standard ones for the korina, standard went for 400 something and these went up to 600 in germany new i think.

Thanks bud. That's kinda how I feel too. I was going to offer 550. They want 800.

I'm going to wait and see what I can find. I kinda wanna do my own guitar kit I think.  Double bound something or other. Maybe I can find something really nice with like a koa top or something.  Do like a dark lacker burst in the garage. 

My rhythm guitarist plays a Jericho Explorer with a dope top. I wish I could make a guitar that has a top like that.
(A)pl(E)

JB

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #315 on: January 17, 2023, 07:30:07 AM »

I had a squier one. It was alright, but the pickups were pretty weak. Nice small and light body, comfortable to play. What makes you want one?

Heshrat

• Rep: -12
« Reply #316 on: January 17, 2023, 06:22:15 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I had a squier one. It was alright, but the pickups were pretty weak. Nice small and light body, comfortable to play. What makes you want one?

Ngl because I heard David Byrne from talking heads played one
I did your mom

thanksgiving

• Rep: 214
« Reply #317 on: January 17, 2023, 08:29:15 PM »
i have a 66 mustang as my main guitar, best body shape ever imo. neck profile is a bit more full feeling than jm/jag, and feels better in hand

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #318 on: January 17, 2023, 09:40:28 PM »
I've always felt like this.

What do pals think?
(A)pl(E)

fineslime

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #319 on: January 18, 2023, 10:39:39 AM »
I popped into my local (a mile away from my house) mom and pop guitar shop last week and they had a help wanted sign in the door. Finally had a chance to drop my application off today, and the owner who I had met previously called me about an hour later telling me she'd love to have me on board. I go in at 2 tomorrow basically just to shake hands.

I could not be more stoked. Right now I'm working at a headshop and I fucking hate some aspects of it, like dealing with addicts who need oil burners and love roses.

Has anyone ever worked in a guitar shop? What was your experience like?

JB

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #320 on: January 18, 2023, 01:02:56 PM »

What do pals think?

There's a lot of layers that I never intended to go to in that video, but I wouldn't doubt that it's a session dude. Playing those songs that tight isn't easy, and I thought that Jones didn't even play when Malcom first tried putting the band together. It wouldn't be impossible to get that good that fast, but for someone like Steve Jones to have that kind of discipline and dedication seems like a stretch. Who knows?
Whoever it is, I like their playing.

Jory4

• Rep: 106
« Reply #321 on: January 18, 2023, 01:55:02 PM »
Figured I’d post this in here, been raining and freezing so no outdoor fun & I’ve been entertaining myself learning this……..

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CnZK0nxJRyL/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

Assuming you guys know all about Ray Barbees music. He’s  one of my guitar hero’s as well as one of my favorite skaters!

( please excuse the slippers- I hate cold feet!!)  :)

fineslime

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #322 on: January 18, 2023, 03:51:19 PM »
Figured I’d post this in here, been raining and freezing so no outdoor fun & I’ve been entertaining myself learning this……..

Assuming you guys know all about Ray Barbees music. He’s  one of my guitar hero’s as well as one of my favorite skaters!

That linked me to some weird video game/ PC video. Do you make video game captures? Frisko something or other was the username.

thanksgiving

• Rep: 214
« Reply #323 on: January 18, 2023, 05:47:39 PM »

nice jaguar dude. love how it looks like your amp is where a tv should be

Jory4

• Rep: 106
« Reply #324 on: January 18, 2023, 11:41:46 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

That linked me to some weird video game/ PC video. Do you make video game captures? Frisko something or other was the username.

Weird! That’s not me!

Try this?
https://www.instagram.com/reel/CnZK0nxJRyL/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

So irritating you can’t embed Instagram easily anymore!

Re- the jag. Only a squier but with fender 65 pups. Love it!

club

• Rep: 20
« Reply #325 on: January 19, 2023, 01:00:30 AM »

I do, mim model. I love it, I don’t play it as much as others I own but I have grown attached to it and probably won’t sell unless I really had to. The middle position to me sounds so good. Also the size is a nice plus. It’s a comfy little guitar. Also @Jory4 that cover was dope I love that song.

fineslime

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #326 on: January 22, 2023, 01:28:31 PM »
I got hired at a music/ guitar shop that also has a nationwide custom pick-guard operation. They're starting me off in the workshop so I have an understanding of what the bigger picture is, but the plan is transitioning into an account management role. My direct supervisor builds guitars and ultimately that's what I'd like to do.

I've never worked in a commercial workshop before and everything I'll be learning is brand new, so there is some fear and hesitation there, but I love being around guitars so if I can do that instead of what I'm doing now, I should probably go for it. It could lead to a lot of amazing things. At least, that's what my mindset is going into it.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2023, 02:56:50 PM by fineslime »

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
« Reply #327 on: January 22, 2023, 01:38:58 PM »
^

sounds like a dope job, stoked for you!

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #328 on: January 22, 2023, 06:24:59 PM »

What do pals think?

I didn’t watch the whole thing but it’s fairly common knowledge that band members are swapped out (usually behind their back) by producers in favor of session players. With a band as literally pre-fabricated as the Sex Pistols, this is certainly possible.

fineslime

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #329 on: January 24, 2023, 02:07:50 PM »

had a good day on the whip today. I've been toying around with this little three note arrangement and ended up unlocking it. the Jackson I'm playing can blast some nasty tones.

post your riffs!