Author Topic: Guitar Thread  (Read 19809 times)

robertson

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -8
Re: Guitar Thread
« Reply #90 on: January 18, 2022, 05:29:36 PM »
Fingerpicking God. Impossible to learn from though, she played a right handed guitar upside-down and left-handed her whole life.

You can learn her songs with the guitar in the normal orientation.  It will never sound as good as her though.

IUTSM

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1391
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #91 on: January 18, 2022, 07:14:27 PM »
She's playing it still strung like a righty, that's the crazy thing. Post a link to that Howlin Wolf doc!

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Fingerpicking God. Impossible to learn from though, she played a right handed guitar upside-down and left-handed her whole life.

[close]

so good.

watched a howlin wolf documentary film last week and noticed some other players using an inverted right hand guitar as well. Jimi did it too. workin with what ya have like that is bad ass
[close]

https://archive.org/details/TheHowlinWolfStory

its also on one of the streaming services

so, she's playing bass note on the bottom?
Well-defined ambiguity, I'm already on somebody's list as a casualty

artskool

• Rep: 31
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #92 on: January 19, 2022, 07:30:15 AM »
Yeah, base strings on the bottom.

My fingerpicking terminology is extremely limited, but I do finger pick sort of in her style. Two fingers moving, other fingers anchoring the hand. Definitely don't sound like her though! Been dabbling in trying to use other fingers but I've been playing this way for so long it just doesn't feel natural.

On the other end- I've been playing electric a lot through a zvex lo fi junky pedal, and am totally addicted to it. I'm also very willfully ignorant about guitar pedals.

JB

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 857
  • Rusty Berrings Roll Forever
« Reply #93 on: January 19, 2022, 11:35:00 AM »
I'm also very willfully ignorant about guitar pedals.

Stay this way. I have more pedals that I don't use than ones I do. They're all cool, and I like trying out new stuff, but most of the music I play and like is made with really simple stuff. Most of the time I just use an overdrive and a fuzz.

Here's my "rig" as its set up right now. Got these new green fender cables for christmas and I think they're super sick. Absolutely love that hot tubes too. I have it set up where it's ripping at the guitars full volume, then slighly dirty at about 75% and fairly clean at 50%. Super touch sensitive too. Makes this little Yamaha amp sound massive.

Uh Oh

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 363
« Reply #94 on: January 23, 2022, 12:13:37 PM »
@JB
Awesome board. How do you like the EHX Eddy? I want to try one.

The ZVEX Mastotron is a beast of a pedal. The LO-FI Junky that @artskool mentioned is amazing as well. Stellar company.

Here’s my current rig. Please excuse the horrid cable management. I am currently waiting on my custom patch and power cables from my buddy. I’ll put the power supply underneath the board once they arrive.

pizzafliptofakie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1955
« Reply #95 on: January 24, 2022, 06:29:34 AM »
Expand Quote
I'm also very willfully ignorant about guitar pedals.
[close]

Stay this way. I have more pedals that I don't use than ones I do. They're all cool, and I like trying out new stuff, but most of the music I play and like is made with really simple stuff. Most of the time I just use an overdrive and a fuzz.

This goes against a lot of purists way of thinking but my Vox is a hybrid tube/modelling amp with a bunch of built in effects and honestly, for my purposes they work splendidly. I'm a pretty meat and potatoes guitarist as is, but my amp has a lot of power and can easily keep up (or sometimes outshine) super big rigs with intricate boards running through them.

I have a project that's essentially a one-man punk band where my main pedal is a drum machine and I have a footswitch with varying degrees of overdrive/distortion, and one of the highest points of praise I've gotten is someone coming inside the venue thinking a full band is playing. So good enough for me!

Andmoreagain

• Rep: 51
« Reply #96 on: January 24, 2022, 07:08:09 AM »
Ok i didnt read all of this thread but here's my 2c as someone who has been playing for 20 years.

Try not to focus too much on gear. I know its easy and fun to lust after gear, but it only gets you so far.

That said here's my take for cheap and good gear: Try to get a red label made in japan yamaha acoustic. These can be had for <$150 and sound and play great.

For an electric a Squier strat will be fine. Maybe find a used Mexican fender, idk if they're still cheap.

Vox pathfinder is a very inexpensive and nice sounding solid-state amp. Don't worry about tube yet.

Don't get into pedals. You might want an overdrive as the ones on lower end solid state arent great, but that's all you really need.

Andmoreagain

• Rep: 51
« Reply #97 on: January 24, 2022, 07:12:53 AM »

Just dug this thing out of the guest room closet (guest room, gear storage, what's the difference?) and have been having a little fun with it.
The tone knobs are coil splitters and it has a switch for the middle position phase. Can go from thick humbucker to wonderful bright Tele-sounds. A real country monster. It's way heavier than I remembered though as it's 11 lbs easy.
The horrific barrel jack will need replacement eventually but it's sound for now.

Keep pluckin' shalomies.

I fuckin love these things. Peavey's old stuff is criminally underrated.

dofrenzy

« Reply #98 on: January 24, 2022, 07:20:34 AM »
One I have up for sale right now:  ‘69 Masaru Kohno Classical

artskool

• Rep: 31
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #99 on: January 24, 2022, 07:33:55 AM »
Lusting after gear is half the point of getting into guitars to begin with, the other half obviously being that it triples your sex appeal.

Agreed on the Yamaha. I got one of those MIJ FG75's and its my favorite guitar to play.

Ok i didnt read all of this thread but here's my 2c as someone who has been playing for 20 years.

Try not to focus too much on gear. I know its easy and fun to lust after gear, but it only gets you so far.

That said here's my take for cheap and good gear: Try to get a red label made in japan yamaha acoustic. These can be had for <$150 and sound and play great.

For an electric a Squier strat will be fine. Maybe find a used Mexican fender, idk if they're still cheap.

Vox pathfinder is a very inexpensive and nice sounding solid-state amp. Don't worry about tube yet.

Don't get into pedals. You might want an overdrive as the ones on lower end solid state arent great, but that's all you really need.

ungzilla

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 983
« Reply #100 on: January 24, 2022, 09:53:36 AM »
more bass acquisitions, USA G&L L2500, traded my warwick for this thing, perhaps not quite as valuable but better suited my playing style, greater range of tones, and infinitely easier to offload in the future if i am no longer into it. but i am very into it.

dofrenzy that classical guitar is beautiful. i've always wanted a good one, i just have a cheapo to fuck around on.

rukes

• Rep: 216
  • Yabba dabba doo
« Reply #101 on: January 24, 2022, 09:07:18 PM »
I don't need anymore guitars, because I don't play the 4 or so I have enough, butnInwould really like a new of those new J Mascis teles or one of those Musician St Vincent's. They look so sick.
Is it true?  Or did you read it on the slap message board?

Uncle Flea

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 973
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #102 on: January 24, 2022, 10:20:01 PM »

Idk if I’ve posted it but this is my main guitar. I got an Ibanez S that I had for like 20 years. It’s in drop A and it’s filthy. Needs a set up. This guitar is filthy too and needs a set up. Needs a volume pot. Needs a case lol. I put foam in it but it still feeds back. I only want to use dirt and my tuner.  My drums are 24 18 14 13 birch with a bob snare. They are Loud. The hollow body guitar hurts peoples ears when I get too close to the amp.

Im copping a guitar on the first. Fb market place kinda is hard to deal with. People think the guitar they got quit on and don’t have a case for is worth what guitar center sells for new.

I going to cop a jet maybe.
Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1430
  • daddy bought you a pony
« Reply #103 on: January 25, 2022, 06:33:15 AM »
that thing looks sweet!

are you trying to get a gretsch jet or what?

JB

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #104 on: January 25, 2022, 07:41:19 AM »
@JB
Awesome board. How do you like the EHX Eddy? I want to try one.

I think the Eddy has too many knobs for someone like me. The volume and tone typically stay set, tone has to be cranked because the pedal totally kills your high end. I've found it keeps truest to your original tone when you keep it first. Rate and depth do what they're supposed to, but not in a clean boss-style chorus/vibe tone. It's a lot more weird, dirty and lo-fi I guess. The envelope control is kinda hard to make usable, at least from my attempts. I can get it to work, but it usually just sounds stupid and not musical. Same kinda thing with the waveform control. It works decent for like post-punk stuff, maybe some ambient stuff if you're into that. It sounds best with a big obnoxious reverb after it. I've tried setting it up for a slower vibrato that would mimic a trem bar wobble because you can hold the button down and it will only engage while you hold it, but it didn't work as well as I wanted.

I try to like it, but the last couple times I've played with it I'll twist knobs until I find something I think is cool, then make up a riff or chord progression. Then I'll switch it off and whatever I was just playing sounds better to me. It might be going in the sell pile. The chorus and vibe patches in the zoom pedal are just fine, to be honest.

For as many pedals as I've owned, the sound I like the most is very simple. Overdrive, fuzz, tremolo and spring reverb from the amp is seriously all I really play with.

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 973
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #105 on: January 25, 2022, 07:52:44 AM »
that thing looks sweet!

are you trying to get a gretsch jet or what?

Yeah that’s probably the move
Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

animalflesh

« Reply #106 on: January 25, 2022, 05:25:27 PM »
Inspired by everyone’s pics to take pictures of the 4 I play most lately

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #107 on: January 25, 2022, 06:01:48 PM »
Love that wild Dano, Thom.

Uh Oh

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #108 on: January 25, 2022, 10:17:19 PM »
Love that wild Dano, Thom.

Ditto. It’s gorgeous.

That DB700 is fucking amazing as well. So cool.

animalflesh

« Reply #109 on: January 26, 2022, 05:25:16 AM »
Thanks dudes

Yeah that dano is fitted with stronger alnicos than a standard u2 so it’s perfect for like punk and black metal

The DB700 I got from a church yard sale because the dude who lead the congregation wanted his son to have a bass that looked less “demonic” for the church band… 100 bucks with a flight case and I got a free NRA hat

JB

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #110 on: January 26, 2022, 06:15:06 AM »
Thanks dudes

Yeah that dano is fitted with stronger alnicos than a standard u2 so it’s perfect for like punk and black metal

The DB700 I got from a church yard sale because the dude who lead the congregation wanted his son to have a bass that looked less “demonic” for the church band… 100 bucks with a flight case and I got a free NRA hat

Amen!

beatifk

• Rep: 162
« Reply #111 on: January 26, 2022, 07:05:22 AM »

I'd love to know how this kid ended up, haha.

animalflesh

« Reply #112 on: January 26, 2022, 11:11:32 AM »
Probably saved! Hallelujah!

::)

skateboardnorth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 28
« Reply #113 on: January 26, 2022, 07:00:24 PM »

I'd praise the lord for that deal, and then hail satan while I play that rig

beandemon

• Rep: 181
« Reply #114 on: January 27, 2022, 06:21:55 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Truly, what bass is most pleasing unto the Lord?

JB

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #115 on: January 27, 2022, 09:16:18 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

lol, bass players go to hell bro

SchizophrenicFatBoy

« Reply #116 on: January 27, 2022, 03:52:18 PM »

I plan on getting a Boss Loop station and a fuzz pedal of some sort…any suggestions? I don’t know what I was thinking when I bought the pedal board.

ungzilla

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 983
« Reply #117 on: January 27, 2022, 04:23:37 PM »
would look best with a solitary boss metal zone right in the middle, get that other shit outta there

Uh Oh

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #118 on: January 27, 2022, 04:28:39 PM »
would look best with a solitary boss metal zone right in the middle, get that other shit outta there

beandemon

• Rep: 181
« Reply #119 on: January 27, 2022, 06:11:05 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

lol, bass players go to hell bro
I was gonna disagree, but according to Charlie Daniels, you’re onto something.