Author Topic: Callum Paul is a racist  (Read 13226 times)

HORSES

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 335
Re: Callum Paul is a racist
« Reply #120 on: June 28, 2020, 09:58:19 PM »
I seriously doubt Callum knows any of this is going on. No social media, definitely wouldn’t visit Slap either.

He has multiple Instagram accounts, and he was tagged in the Instagram stories. He likes to pretend he doesn't care. Having now spoken to a few people who know him, I don't believe he is a racist, yes he's said some dumb ignorant shit in the past, but his community work speaks for itself.

Dude is definitely a mean spirited bully though and crosses the line with it. I've seen some of the comments he has left, and it genuinely comes off hateful. Pass Port also deleted some comments in regards to Callum's bullying the other day as well.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2020, 10:04:14 PM by HORSES »

Nicki

« Reply #121 on: June 28, 2020, 10:01:48 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
the images DO not appear if you're a guest on this message board

[close]
Wow, such a douche
[close]

So when was Shuriken talking about? That must have been after the n* video, so suggests a pattern of racism. Has Callum or Passport responded to this?

And what’s up with Passport? Is it just an all Aussie team of dudes who failed to make it in the US?
An Australian LE?
[close]

Did you miss the recent Passport full length or something?
[close]

Apologies for the double post guys.

Passport is a really great company. I’d it’s not on your radar it should be. The graphics, video output and company direction are all top tier.

Callum Paul has said the n-word. Fact. Multiple times- anecdotal evidence but strengthened by his historic use of the word and general reputation as a bully and a pusher of buttons.

Although it would be great (and at this point expected of) that passport would release a statement or push for Callum to release a statement, you should be going after Callum if you feel strongly about it. Not one of the companies he rides for. Message them and ask them why they think it’s acceptable. Don’t bash them because it’s the lazy option

Edit: Richard b- I meant to reply to the quote you were quoting. I also like calling my friends cunts.
There’s loads of great variations the Australians used in my time out there; Sus-cunt (not a term of endearment) and good cunt (term of endearment) are both great
[close]

So, although at this point it would be expected for Passport to release a statement or push for Callum to release a statement, they haven’t. Despite BLM and the new recognition of accountability and responsibility that has seen a bunch of skaters/companies release statements and apologies (many covered here on Slap) - Passport and Callum have decided to gaslight the situation by remaining silent on the accusations/evidence and completely ignoring it.

And this is ok because?
[close]

I think that’s on Callum, not passport.

Edit: just realised my message contradicts my initial post that you quoted.

To clarify, I personally think Callum should address it himself and it’s on passport to either announce that statement, or echo it.

I definitely think it’s weird that they have those unity decks but haven’t mentioned it. Honestly though, outside of one Instagram account and a 4 page slap thread it really hasn’t gained any traction. Maybe because not many Americans know who he is and most Australians aren’t that fussed because it’s an insanely openly racist country?

It’s fucked that Callum used the hard R and fucked if he said that to shuriken, which would suggest he hasn’t matured between those two dates.
I also think passport should address it but I don’t think cussing the company on its legitimacy within skateboarding is the way to go. Seems fickle
[close]

I’m not cussing their legitimacy in skateboarding, i just think they’re blowing this opportunity to get on board with BLM by ignoring problems in their company. Besides Callum doesn’t have IG right? so it has to come from Passport. And yeah, you’re right, Australia is so saturated in racism that they struggle to see historical and ongoing entrenched colonialism.

Why not just acknowledge past errors, apologise and move forward? If Passport is the ‘good cunt’ company you’re saying they are, this seems the obvious move they should have already taken. Their response (or lack of) seems more in keeping with their blokey Aussie anglo kitche vibe.

Can you point me to any BLM posts on their IG? Not great.
[close]

“And what’s up with Passport? Is it just an all Aussie team of dudes who failed to make it in the US?
An Australian LE?“

Yeah that’s exactly what you did.

To clarify- I think it’s a shame it hasn’t been addressed and am going to assume Callum is a sus-cunt and a bigot. Which is not acceptable.
I just think it’s fickle to take a stab at passport Instead of Callum.
He doesn’t have Instagram so passport have to sort this for him? No, he can download it. He has a smart phone or he can ring shuriken and talk it through and speak to the guy that posted it.
You don’t seem to have read what I’ve said. I agree this is a bad look for passport and Callum is in the wrong, but you taking cheap shots is just a bit pathetic and weakens your argument.
For the record, I don’t know anyone from passport, except Callum, who I met once for half an hour when I showed him the way to a bar. He was abit annoying and seemed like an ass

No, I have read what youve said, i just don’t agree. Callum skates for Passport, represents Passport and is their ‘employee’ so to say this has nothing to do with Passport is frankly nonsense. And I am really surprised to see Passport haven’t got a single post (story’s don’t count) showing their commitment to tackling racism within BLM. I seems like to perfect opportunity for Passport, as the Aussie brand in a country with such an appalling record on racism, and they’ve completely ignored it. Kinda weird. I have hit Passport IG up with a DM about Callum and what’s their response, and I’m awaiting a reply.

I don’t know jack about Callum, but just recognise, apologise and go forward.

« Last Edit: June 28, 2020, 10:05:18 PM by Nicki »

Nicki

« Reply #122 on: June 28, 2020, 10:17:09 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Passport promoted the black lives matter/stop black deaths in custody rallies in Sydney when they were happening at the start of the month. Why don’t you guys just focus on the issues in your own shitty country rather than making sweeping generalisations based on your own limited interactions with Australians.
[close]
Well said. Fucking social justice warriors everywhere.
[close]

No, I’m not endorsing this reply. Australia does have a problem with culturally (and systematically) entrenched racism - Indigenous Australians are the most incarcerated people in the world by population, our treatment of refugees is abhorrent and we have a powerful right wing media/government that seeks to uphold these systems and further push white settler colonial narratives. My problem is with people in this thread using their interactions with Aussie friends or their brief time in the Northern Territory - easily the state with the most complex racial issues in the country - as somehow analogous to whatever is happening in this thread. You guys actually have no idea what is happening in the scene here and who has spoken to who about what - you’re just jumping on this narrative to import your countries own shitty way of dealing with things onto us.

1. Not a state. 2. Definitely WA, followed by QLD and NSW.

Good post though, you’re always considered and rational adding good points to the discussion, thanks.

clintendo

• Rep: 25
« Reply #123 on: June 29, 2020, 04:38:08 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Passport promoted the black lives matter/stop black deaths in custody rallies in Sydney when they were happening at the start of the month. Why don’t you guys just focus on the issues in your own shitty country rather than making sweeping generalisations based on your own limited interactions with Australians.
[close]
Well said. Fucking social justice warriors everywhere.
[close]

No, I’m not endorsing this reply. Australia does have a problem with culturally (and systematically) entrenched racism - Indigenous Australians are the most incarcerated people in the world by population, our treatment of refugees is abhorrent and we have a powerful right wing media/government that seeks to uphold these systems and further push white settler colonial narratives. My problem is with people in this thread using their interactions with Aussie friends or their brief time in the Northern Territory - easily the state with the most complex racial issues in the country - as somehow analogous to whatever is happening in this thread. You guys actually have no idea what is happening in the scene here and who has spoken to who about what - you’re just jumping on this narrative to import your countries own shitty way of dealing with things onto us.
[close]

1. Not a state. 2. Definitely WA, followed by QLD and NSW.

Good post though, you’re always considered and rational adding good points to the discussion, thanks.

I'd like to second that motion of QLD being racist, after all it does have the racist capitol of Australia in it... Rockhampton

On a more serious note I wouldn't say Callum is racist, he just likes to stir shit and although that doesn't excuse the actions at hand it was a long time ago and I would assume he has learnt his lesson.

KINGTONY

• Rep: -81
« Reply #124 on: June 29, 2020, 07:18:36 AM »
they got koala foot biscotti tho

figureitout

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -140
« Reply #125 on: June 29, 2020, 10:49:40 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
in reference to the video I feel he was saying it as a joke to his friend who im sure would've taken it as a joke. why would he have kept it in his own sponsor video.
[close]

because back then people didn't realize what would happen right now. and don't ask me what's happening right now because i'm not even sure.

i mean i myself said some insanely dumb shit back when i was 15, but does that make me a racist now? i'd say no, i'd say i have changed since then, but is that my judgement to call?
and is that different because i'm not as much of a 'public figure' as any of these skaters is? are they not allowed to change? can we be sure they have?
it's all such a grey area we're getting mad about and it confuses me to no end trying to find out where The Line is.
[close]

For the record I'm not sure what I think any of this bc I’ve literally never heard of him and don’t feel like watching stuff yet. But do bear in mind it’s not just “said n” == “racist”.  There are grey areas, and that’s ok.  Maybe... used to toss around the n word was careless or thoughtless.  But maybe continue to insist that n-word was fine when you used it and therefore everyone is overreacting all the time... belies some issues there.  Not that you definitely feel this way but you can see some ppl are so upset about the idea that “anyone” could have been called out back in the day... that they’re not even willing to accept that it could *ever* be an issue, or that hey maybe if it was really nothing then they might owe some ppl an explanation.  A nice one, instead of just being mad and saying “witch hunt”.

Get on it, rad skating even radder edits. Although his use of the N word is horrid.

« Last Edit: June 29, 2020, 10:52:24 AM by figureitout »

SickSickSicks

• Rep: 20
  • Semper Fidelis Tyrannosaurus!
« Reply #126 on: June 29, 2020, 10:55:12 AM »
He was banging Mappys daughter and she is part Māori so he can’t be that racist.

That's not at all how that works.

quarterpound

• Rep: 14
« Reply #127 on: June 29, 2020, 11:25:59 AM »
Expand Quote
He was banging Mappys daughter and she is part Māori so he can’t be that racist.
[close]

That's not at all how that works.

Yep, the number of times I have heard this... an Ozzie fella I met one time was saying all sorts of racist shit claimed he couldn’t be racist bc he has half-Chinese kids.  Sorry try again folks, it’s just not that simple.  Sometimes we say shit that is legit funny, and also hurtful to people.  It’s a complicated world, but if you’re trying, I think people will notice.  To all of you who don’t even try: yeah, that’s also super obvious to everyone.

wigwam_24

• Rep: 24
« Reply #128 on: June 29, 2020, 12:46:28 PM »
Love that lady in red edit!
My hass is out

Bighugemegajohnson

• Rep: -75
« Reply #129 on: June 29, 2020, 01:13:43 PM »
Who gives a shit about this Australian racist dude
Y’all wanna be Americans anyway wishing you could be a fraction of the racist we are. Suck our way bigger American dicks, you backwards ass kola humpers. Australia’s just a giant ass California bunch of yuppie ass spoiled scientologists hippies I hope both sink into the fucking ocean
« Last Edit: June 29, 2020, 01:15:42 PM by Bighugemegajohnson »

Tabletop

• Rep: -70
« Reply #130 on: June 30, 2020, 04:07:02 AM »
The guy pisses in his own mouth.
Clearly he is desperate for attention and a crass human being.