Author Topic: Kenosha shooting - skater involved  (Read 5400 times)

Allen.

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 692
    • Cigarettes for Cardio avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: Kenosha shooting - skater involved
« Reply #90 on: August 29, 2020, 02:01:16 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Expand Quote
Crazy how property damage is considered not to be the correct response for murder, but murder is considered the correct response for property damage.
[close]
[close]

Allen, i know you're quoting someone else here and that this is directed at the unfortunately large body of malignant Americans who think that protecting property is ever a reason to kill another human being (i completely disagree), but nevertheless, for those of us who have forced ourselves to sit through break-downs of these fucked events (not just the one above in this thread, but the one in the New York Times too), i have to ask, who was murdered because of “property damage”?

i wish all of the young people involved would have stayed home that night, with all of my heart i do. unfortunately though, the people directly involved had traveled to Kenosha for their--very--different reasons. i’m yet to see any footage showing that the actual shooting broke out as a reaction to either Anthony Huber or Joseph Rosenbaum simply “damaging property.”

the FIRST fucking thing that Jacob Blake’s mom did when first speaking publicly is adamantly distance her son and her family from the rioting, destruction, and looting supposedly being done in his name, and i do not blame her. the fact that this conversation is now about all of these other people and all of these other events says everything about how completely lost the actual victims of racist police brutality become in the chaos that follows these days.

the destruction and looting is not changing anyone’s mind on the “other side” (quite the opposite in fact) and the family wants nothing to do with it, so what was the objective that night? catharsis for the protestors?

in my years of university teaching, in a number of my classes where we have dealt with what went down in Detroit in 1967, i have always approached it from the perspective that it was a “rebellion,” and not a “riot,” and i will continue to do so. the people who took part in it were actually FROM the city itself and were reacting to unbearable conditions to which THEY were directly subject. (in the past months, i am proud that in the city of Detroit, the protestors have tried to remain peaceful and nothing has been destroyed, which has simply worked to emphasize and illuminate when/how the police are being especially draconian.)

this is not the case with many of the white kids taking part in the riots and looting that otherwise peaceful protests have been declining into at night in the past months. and i’m not just talking about the white kids that drive from other cities--i’m talking about some of the privileged, gentrifying hypocrites destroying businesses and looting, who can just up and leave once there’s nowhere to get groceries, medication, etc....unlike all of the poor, elderly, and disabled people stranded in these burnt out and destroyed neighborhoods in which they’ve lived all or most of their lives, and who are being left with nowhere to buy food and nowhere to get the medication they need, and who can’t even get on public transit to go somewhere else, because it has been interrupted due to the destruction.

i disagree as much with burning down grocery stores and pharmacies and medical-supply stores that poor, old, and disabled people depend upon for their very lives, as i do with ANYONE bringing a gun to a place/situation that one knows is going to be volatile and out of control...
[close]

Cool, I’m from Detroit. That was a rebellion. Glad we have that out of the way.

The two in Kenosha were murdered by a privileged white kid who had a ride from his mother into a different state to ‘protect property,’ presumably from property damage.

With all due respect you cannot play both sides the way you are. There is a certain point where you must decide what is worth it. I’m not pro burning shit down but I understand why these things happen - protesting does not work. Nothing has changed since Floyd, or Breona Taylor, or Elijah McClain and up until yesterday an innocent man, already permanently maimed by the police supposed to protect and serve the public, was hand cuffed to a hospital bed and cops were refusing to explain why - violating his rights.

I can part with some buildings and property* in order for serious change to happen. People are literally being told “your lives don’t matter.” These people are fucking livid, and rightly so. The police are clearly working with hate groups and attacking peaceful protestors around the country and more people are showing up demanding things change. Yeah, I wish there weren’t protests either because I wish things weren’t like this.
This shit shouldn’t be political. Police should not be able to kill citizens. Police shouldn’t be aiding and thanking murderers.  The self defense argument doesn’t work either: if columbine had happened in 2020 and a student In a Bernie shirt rushed Klebold and Harris during columbine and got shot, they’d argue the kid had it coming. Shoulda stayed home that day. Shouldn’t have rushed a guy with a gun.

*i don’t want mom and pops to lose capitol/inventory/their space. Fuck all the major chains and big box stores and the like. They make more off of the lives of the same disenfranchised people than we could ever comprehend.

I understand my bias but things are going to continue to get worse until They listen.
[close]

you're "from" Detroit? ok...i've lived in the city for over 30 years so it would be funny if we actually know each other...probably not though...

...even funnier, is, did you really just give me an ultimatum? do i need to choose a side--like there's only two? if you're actually "from" the city, then you know how many poor and working people in the 130-some square miles of the neighborhoods outside of downtown, want more efficiency and accountability from the police, but definitely want the police.

do i sound like i do not understand why cities are--and have--been burning in response to police brutality? but thanks for explaining that nonetheless.

and was that esoteric Puleo comment meant for me, because if so, you need to explain....

Esoteric Puleo is a great name for an Instagram account or something. I meant that you were implying where people can and cannot join a protest.

I doubt we know each other. I’m from and live just outside of the city and have seen what Illitch and Gilbert have done to it.

I understand there’s a certain need for police, I’ll give you that. I believe the 1033 program needs to be repealed. I believe that there needs to be serious defunding and redistribution of funds to places that have been absolutely gutted in the last few decades.

I feel like we have relatively the same beliefs on everything.

What do you propose we do then? Nothing is being done.

I’m realizing that I’m essentially arguing with someone that I agree with most of their core position. I took your original statement about wishing everyone had stayed home as meaning you wished they hadn’t protested.
For someone w.no signature ur awfully hostile, & that is why I do this

ramplocal

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 62
  • poser
« Reply #91 on: August 29, 2020, 02:39:00 PM »
Someone buy layzieyez a beer or suitable equivalent for being consistently one of the most well spoken posters on here.

weon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 227
  • todo gratis todo gay
« Reply #92 on: August 29, 2020, 03:17:38 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Ever wonder how people went along and justified support for the actual the Nazis back in the day despite how batshit psychopathic they were?

Now you know.
[close]

I’ve been thinking about this a lot lately and it’s really disheartening to see the amount of people who would follow along in a similar situation. I had an old co worker today try to call Kyle a hero and referred to blm as thugs/ rioters. It just blows my mind..
[close]

I was thinking along these same lines this week and the events of the past few months have convinced me that most Germans were probably just assholes.

Recently an anti-racism scholar was being interviewed (I'm blanking on their name and the program... maybe it was PBS NewsHour?) and they commented on how after teaching little kids a class about the Underground Railroad, they would then ask the classroom to raise their hand if they believe they would have been a part of the UR during those times. Of course, most, if not all, the kids raised their hands. The interviewee would then say something along the lines of "Do you really think so? Because if all of you would have been a part of it, it would not have been underground..." It is actually pretty scary to think that the time and space in which we live and grow can have such an influence...

A friend once told me: "In a few years, our generation(s) will be looked down upon for how we currently deal with homelessness as a society." It stuck with me—how am I interacting with homeless and/or mentally ill people? What else am I "going along with" these days? Actively seeking social- and self-awareness is not easy, but it is a must for all of us if we want to live authentically these days :/
Lil' Wayne is more core than Jaden Smith.
Damn. Chico of Chocolate now Pyramids of Giza. What the hell is going on?

Deputy Wendell

« Reply #93 on: August 29, 2020, 03:20:59 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Expand Quote
Crazy how property damage is considered not to be the correct response for murder, but murder is considered the correct response for property damage.
[close]
[close]

Allen, i know you're quoting someone else here and that this is directed at the unfortunately large body of malignant Americans who think that protecting property is ever a reason to kill another human being (i completely disagree), but nevertheless, for those of us who have forced ourselves to sit through break-downs of these fucked events (not just the one above in this thread, but the one in the New York Times too), i have to ask, who was murdered because of “property damage”?

i wish all of the young people involved would have stayed home that night, with all of my heart i do. unfortunately though, the people directly involved had traveled to Kenosha for their--very--different reasons. i’m yet to see any footage showing that the actual shooting broke out as a reaction to either Anthony Huber or Joseph Rosenbaum simply “damaging property.”

the FIRST fucking thing that Jacob Blake’s mom did when first speaking publicly is adamantly distance her son and her family from the rioting, destruction, and looting supposedly being done in his name, and i do not blame her. the fact that this conversation is now about all of these other people and all of these other events says everything about how completely lost the actual victims of racist police brutality become in the chaos that follows these days.

the destruction and looting is not changing anyone’s mind on the “other side” (quite the opposite in fact) and the family wants nothing to do with it, so what was the objective that night? catharsis for the protestors?

in my years of university teaching, in a number of my classes where we have dealt with what went down in Detroit in 1967, i have always approached it from the perspective that it was a “rebellion,” and not a “riot,” and i will continue to do so. the people who took part in it were actually FROM the city itself and were reacting to unbearable conditions to which THEY were directly subject. (in the past months, i am proud that in the city of Detroit, the protestors have tried to remain peaceful and nothing has been destroyed, which has simply worked to emphasize and illuminate when/how the police are being especially draconian.)

this is not the case with many of the white kids taking part in the riots and looting that otherwise peaceful protests have been declining into at night in the past months. and i’m not just talking about the white kids that drive from other cities--i’m talking about some of the privileged, gentrifying hypocrites destroying businesses and looting, who can just up and leave once there’s nowhere to get groceries, medication, etc....unlike all of the poor, elderly, and disabled people stranded in these burnt out and destroyed neighborhoods in which they’ve lived all or most of their lives, and who are being left with nowhere to buy food and nowhere to get the medication they need, and who can’t even get on public transit to go somewhere else, because it has been interrupted due to the destruction.

i disagree as much with burning down grocery stores and pharmacies and medical-supply stores that poor, old, and disabled people depend upon for their very lives, as i do with ANYONE bringing a gun to a place/situation that one knows is going to be volatile and out of control...
[close]

Cool, I’m from Detroit. That was a rebellion. Glad we have that out of the way.

The two in Kenosha were murdered by a privileged white kid who had a ride from his mother into a different state to ‘protect property,’ presumably from property damage.

With all due respect you cannot play both sides the way you are. There is a certain point where you must decide what is worth it. I’m not pro burning shit down but I understand why these things happen - protesting does not work. Nothing has changed since Floyd, or Breona Taylor, or Elijah McClain and up until yesterday an innocent man, already permanently maimed by the police supposed to protect and serve the public, was hand cuffed to a hospital bed and cops were refusing to explain why - violating his rights.

I can part with some buildings and property* in order for serious change to happen. People are literally being told “your lives don’t matter.” These people are fucking livid, and rightly so. The police are clearly working with hate groups and attacking peaceful protestors around the country and more people are showing up demanding things change. Yeah, I wish there weren’t protests either because I wish things weren’t like this.
This shit shouldn’t be political. Police should not be able to kill citizens. Police shouldn’t be aiding and thanking murderers.  The self defense argument doesn’t work either: if columbine had happened in 2020 and a student In a Bernie shirt rushed Klebold and Harris during columbine and got shot, they’d argue the kid had it coming. Shoulda stayed home that day. Shouldn’t have rushed a guy with a gun.

*i don’t want mom and pops to lose capitol/inventory/their space. Fuck all the major chains and big box stores and the like. They make more off of the lives of the same disenfranchised people than we could ever comprehend.

I understand my bias but things are going to continue to get worse until They listen.
[close]

you're "from" Detroit? ok...i've lived in the city for over 30 years so it would be funny if we actually know each other...probably not though...

...even funnier, is, did you really just give me an ultimatum? do i need to choose a side--like there's only two? if you're actually "from" the city, then you know how many poor and working people in the 130-some square miles of the neighborhoods outside of downtown, want more efficiency and accountability from the police, but definitely want the police.

do i sound like i do not understand why cities are--and have--been burning in response to police brutality? but thanks for explaining that nonetheless.

and was that esoteric Puleo comment meant for me, because if so, you need to explain....
[close]

Esoteric Puleo is a great name for an Instagram account or something. I meant that you were implying where people can and cannot join a protest.

I doubt we know each other. I’m from and live just outside of the city and have seen what Illitch and Gilbert have done to it.

I understand there’s a certain need for police, I’ll give you that. I believe the 1033 program needs to be repealed. I believe that there needs to be serious defunding and redistribution of funds to places that have been absolutely gutted in the last few decades.

I feel like we have relatively the same beliefs on everything.

What do you propose we do then? Nothing is being done.

I’m realizing that I’m essentially arguing with someone that I agree with most of their core position. I took your original statement about wishing everyone had stayed home as meaning you wished they hadn’t protested.

it's been a long day in front of the computer preparing the two classes that i'm teaching at Wayne State this semester, which start this week, and i'm about to tune out, so i'm not even going to begin to try to take on what i "propose we do." i saw you commented again and just wanted to respond in kind so things didn't end nasty seeming today...i appreciate your last comment, and i too think we're aligned in most ways.

i am 100% behind the protests, i'm just afraid that with all of the spectacle and distraction that follows from the fire and looting, the real focus is lost--and i often worry that all of the well-meaning voices trying to contribute to the conversation are confusing a conversation that should really only be occurring between black communities, the government (at different levels), and the police...i guess...for now...

edit: i agree, now that you mention it, that Esoteric Puleo does seem like it needs to be the title of something

ChuckRamone

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 523
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #94 on: August 29, 2020, 03:22:33 PM »
Who are these fucking kooks posting here that are worried about property destruction and are siding with a gun-wielding bootlicker over a skater? Are you in the right place? This is a skateboarding forum.

sketchyrider

« Reply #95 on: August 29, 2020, 03:42:04 PM »
Expand Quote
It sucks that everything is divisive bullshit these days. Cant we all just get along?  :'(
[close]

It's really fucking good, its called separating good from bad. I don't wanna get allong with anyone that thinks that shit like this is okay.

word.

ChuckRamone

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 523
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #96 on: August 29, 2020, 06:07:59 PM »

Colin Robinson

• Rep: 50
  • energy vampire
« Reply #97 on: August 29, 2020, 06:16:57 PM »
There’s literally a troll on here named “Kyle fan” shitting it up on the RIP thread, there’s some sick fuckers on this site man.

Mesteezo

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Rep: 65
  • User posts join approval queueModerated

EdLawndale

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1080
    • My Wife avatar image
« Reply #99 on: November 20, 2020, 09:50:57 PM »
Wow. Good to be made aware that Ricky Schroder is a gigantic piece of shit.
"Was just about to say, wtf is up with this EdLawndale guy?"

Lou Strux

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2155
  • The Swede is down at Venice Beach, shove off!
« Reply #100 on: November 20, 2020, 09:53:55 PM »
Wow. Good to be made aware that Ricky Schroder is a gigantic piece of shit.
He’s acting like he was born with a Silver Spoon in his mouth, or something.

I wanna play you in a game of SKATE for the right to continue talking shit on me.  You think you got me?

behavioralguide

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 763
  • dog stuff
« Reply #101 on: November 21, 2020, 02:10:33 AM »
 :-X ::)