Author Topic: Having kids  (Read 3056 times)

Freelancevagrant

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1561
Re: Having kids
« Reply #30 on: September 10, 2020, 04:42:15 PM »
Like multiple people have posted, it's difficult when they are younger but it also is really important to have a partner that is supportive of you skating, and willing to work with you. If you can't squeeze in an hour after work to go to a park build a mini ramp or a box or do some flat ground. But for ultra dad points you gotta get a good slappy spot. If there's a will there's a way but your life will certainly changed for ever.

I'm a firm believer that kids aren't for everyone, fuck I hate kids, but I love mine.
Well I have like 9 Andy Anderson dated flight decks.

j....soy.....

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1608
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #31 on: September 10, 2020, 10:59:27 PM »
Tons of my friends who have kids skate....without question kids are no. 1, but if you plan, prioritize and execute, you can still skate a lot.  Do you see yourself skating by yourself a lot?  If so....it shouldn't be an issue. 

OldieButFrenchie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 130
« Reply #32 on: September 11, 2020, 12:01:07 AM »
Having kids temporarily gets in the way of skating during their younger years, but if your partner respects your love for skating then its game on, I imagine. I have a small army of children and I think that working too much or working hard labor gets in the way of skating more than children ever will. Also making the decision to have kids right now with the current state of affairs is something to really think about before slipping one past the goalie. I stress every single day about what my children will have to encounter in their future. Sorry for the essay man, and good luck with either road you take!

I understand the feeling but you could've said the same anytime during the 20th century. We had WWI, the great depression, WWII, the cold war, etc.... I really don't think we are worse off nowadays. World hunger has been divided by 4 in the last 40 years but no one talks about it because bad news get more attention than good news....
« Last Edit: September 11, 2020, 12:45:23 AM by OldieButFrenchie »

WobbleHeadBob

• Rep: 80
« Reply #33 on: September 11, 2020, 12:23:30 AM »

ok boomer

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1033
  • Gnar Kook
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #34 on: September 11, 2020, 06:23:38 AM »
Well, before my son was born, I skated 7 days a week, around 4 hours a day.
When he was born, I skated 1-2 days a week. First 4 years I pretty much had to wait til he was asleep and go skate at 9-10 PM to get in any time. I lived by 3 spots during that period so that was okay. But it was not so often, still pretty much 1-2 times per week. This summer, he finally started to ride his bike without training wheels, so now I go skate with him while he bikes. So this past week, I've actually skated 4 times already. In saying that, I haven't really done many tricks, but I'm still coming off ligament/tendon damage, so I'm partially just being a puss - I don't trust that ankle fully.

My son is all about the Man Wolfs (I showed him these clips cuz I thought he'd laugh but he thinks they are real and wants to be one.)

In any event, that director Corey Adams, has a short film where McCrank is skating a yellow board with a man wolfs logo on it. I bought a blank 7.5 deck and just printed big Man Wolfs logo sticker (and bought rails for the board, cuz I know he won't want to scratch that).. and I'm going to surprise him with the board this weekend.
Also I bought him a jean jacket and cut the sleeves off a while ago. He keeps begging for a man wolfs patch (which I have, and have never used), so  for X-Mas (maybe before), I'm going to sew that patch on his jacket.
He grew up with skating around him all the time, but the Man Wolfs are what has him somewhat interested in it.

artskool

• Rep: 34
« Reply #35 on: September 11, 2020, 09:47:37 AM »
Having a kid definitely changed my lifestyle drastically, including skateboarding. It will definitely cut into being completely hammered, and skating around the city at 2 am with a bunch of delinquents. However, in 7 or 8 years if you play your cards right and don't turn into a fat dad, waking up early to go skate parks with your little one is completely amazing.

Lenny the Fatface

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 333
« Reply #36 on: September 11, 2020, 02:02:29 PM »
I have 2 boys under 2, I only skate 1-2 times a week.

The lack of sleep and free time sucks but it does make you a more responsible adult. Hopefully when my kids are a little older they'll be rolling with me Baca style, that would be sick.

The best thing about parenting is that the brain chemistry connection is very real and seeing your babies smile is better than landing any trick. Also seeing someone's cognition grow is exciting as hell when experiencing it day to day.

Worst thing about parenting is that it can get expensive in the phase that I'm still in, pretty sure we wouldnt have 2 kids if I didnt have a tech job.

Also, more of a precovid thing - but you're going to have to small talk with a lot of pricks just because they happen to have toddlers as well. I'm 70% sure people get into infidelity or swinger shit at the young parent stage because I've heard some weird shit from moms sitting at the park.

In general I think if you can do a marriage than parenting will feel easier. As humans we are programmed to be natural parents, but we aren't designed to be husbands or wives. That's why your wife complaining about watching wrestling is more annoying than your kid having a tantrum even though she's being reasonable.

Also Pocoyo is the only toddler show I can stomach. Can't wait to get in the Sesame street phase.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2020, 02:10:03 PM by Lenny the Fatface »

pugmaster

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1699
  • Overweight and Underprepared
« Reply #37 on: September 11, 2020, 03:21:43 PM »

The lack of sleep and free time sucks but it does make you a more responsible adult. Hopefully when my kids are a little older they'll be rolling with me Baca style, that would be sick.

The best thing about parenting is that the brain chemistry connection is very real and seeing your babies smile is better than landing any trick. Also seeing someone's cognition grow is exciting as hell when experiencing it day to day.

Worst thing about parenting is that it can get expensive in the phase that I'm still in, pretty sure we wouldnt have 2 kids if I didnt have a tech job.

Also, more of a precovid thing - but you're going to have to small talk with a lot of pricks just because they happen to have toddlers as well. I'm 70% sure people get into infidelity or swinger shit at the young parent stage because I've heard some weird shit from moms sitting at the park.

In general I think if you can do a marriage than parenting will feel easier. As humans we are programmed to be natural parents, but we aren't designed to be husbands or wives. That's why your wife complaining about watching wrestling is more annoying than your kid having a tantrum even though she's being reasonable.

Also Pocoyo is the only toddler show I can stomach. Can't wait to get in the Sesame street phase.

What have you heard? I have only heard complaining about about the husband and/or their friends/female frenemies.
"...We got the nuclear worm over here..."

Never forget:
Rusty_Berrings, 360 frip, Yapple Dapple, Bubblegum Tate

Fongstarr.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 319
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #38 on: September 11, 2020, 04:06:46 PM »
My buddy has two boys and he got them into skating as early as 1 years old. It actually brought new life into his own skating where he only goes out with his kids on skate missions.

This is his oldest and they have a mini in his garage but he will just skate with his son hours on day. Unfortunately I have daughter and my wife isn't too keen on introducing her to skating but having a kid totally changes all hobbies you might have, so it's not for everyone but a lot of rewards as well as downsides as well.

« Last Edit: September 11, 2020, 04:14:10 PM by Fongstarr. »
I'll fuckin
I'll fuckin
sew your asshole closed, and keep feedin you
and feedin you, and feedin you, and feedin you!

Fongstarr.

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #39 on: September 11, 2020, 04:13:52 PM »
Whoop! HAha. Sorry. Meant to post this.

I'll fuckin
I'll fuckin

Lenny the Fatface

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 333
« Reply #40 on: September 11, 2020, 06:18:05 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

What have you heard? I have only heard complaining about about the husband and/or their friends/female frenemies.

The most blatant situation I've experienced was this mom who I just met started telling me and another dad about a New York Times (I think) article about how swingers use pineapple figurines and furniture as signifiers to other closet swingers that visit. Then she was like "Sooo you know, be on the look out" me and the other dad just kinda looked at each other.

I googled it later and that article was old as fuck hahahaha.

« Last Edit: September 11, 2020, 06:50:38 PM by Lenny the Fatface »

masturskater

• Rep: 20
« Reply #41 on: September 11, 2020, 08:24:08 PM »
I have a couple of kids and one more on the way. Family is  great and I love spending time with them.

In any family situation you're going to have to put a lot of work and time in. You get out of it what you put in basically. Everything kind of sorts itself out. If there are things you really want to do, you'll figure out time to do them. Or you may just do it less or give it up. That's just how it goes.

My advice, don't get hung up about it when you realize you haven't skated in a long time cause you've been busy doing other stuff. Just be happy doing things on your own terms. No need to feel bad or guilty for skating less than you want to.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #42 on: September 12, 2020, 01:57:04 PM »
I gotta be honest....I don't really hate kids.....

It's parents man.....

pugmaster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #43 on: September 12, 2020, 02:39:18 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

The most blatant situation I've experienced was this mom who I just met started telling me and another dad about a New York Times (I think) article about how swingers use pineapple figurines and furniture as signifiers to other closet swingers that visit. Then she was like "Sooo you know, be on the look out" me and the other dad just kinda looked at each other.

I googled it later and that article was old as fuck hahahaha.

Who would have ever guessed that?  This article below is so dumb it is comical.  Basically the most random things might be a sign for swingers.

https://nypost.com/2017/06/02/secret-signs-your-neighbor-might-be-a-swinger/

Never forget:

Fongstarr.

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #44 on: September 12, 2020, 05:50:00 PM »
I gotta be honest....I don't really hate kids.....

It's parents man.....

What is funny is that really is part of the parenting culture. If your kid meets another kid, you'll have to conversation with their parents which could lead to a relationship with them. I haven't even gotten to that part yet but I'd imagine all those team sports scenarios being a real pain in the ass. Hopefully I meet people that are like me but I am 39 years old and I really only keep to myself and my wife.
I'll fuckin
I'll fuckin

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #45 on: September 12, 2020, 06:06:18 PM »
I'm sure you'll be listening....but thinking....'I wish I had just stayed at home and posted on SLAP'

SneakySecrets

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1065
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #46 on: September 12, 2020, 09:10:01 PM »
Freezer pop expenditures will quadruple.  Inquires into the current favorite color situation will skyrocket. 

You will acquire an encyclopedic level of knowledge about Paw Patrol.  You will know the whole backstory about that rich asshole with his asshole cat.  You will be able to identify each member of the team blindfolded using voice alone.

You will fantasize about slitting Booba’s throat on the commute to work every morning.  The thought of sawing his limbs of in a bloody bathtub is the only way you can get hard anymore.  You can’t tell anyone about your dark fantasies.  They’d never understand.

When nothing in society deserves respect, we should fashion for ourselves in solitude new silent loyalties.

pugmaster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #47 on: September 12, 2020, 10:42:01 PM »
Seeing the life slowly drain from Booba's eyes doesn't only please parents, it pleases me as well.  Many don't realize all of the horrific things Booba was affiliated with.  Not just war crimes, it goes deeper than that.

Never forget:

theSketchLord

• Rep: 42
    • https://images.scribblelive.com/2021/1/4/ca9a0ca8-586d-41e3-ad94-131825707ea0.gif avatar image
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #48 on: September 21, 2020, 05:35:54 AM »
One of my mates has just had a kid and has literally overnight become the epitome of everything that makes me not want to be a parent.
#dadlyfe
"Broke the tail, like a well oiled snail"

iKobrakai

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -717
« Reply #49 on: September 21, 2020, 09:35:36 AM »
I just spent a weekend with my friends and there was a six year old kid there. Sure, the kid was alright, but have you guys seen the Alfa Romeo Giulia Veloce?

bigdave

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 179
« Reply #50 on: September 21, 2020, 10:13:56 AM »
For Pals with kids: How do you balance having children and skating? Do you get out as much as you'd like? I'm wondering if you can have a kid and still get out a decent amount.

My kids are 8 and 11. My wife got pregnant in 2008. I'd already stopped skating around 2007.

I didnt pick up a board again in a serious (aka consistent?) way until a couple of months ago and truthfully I started skating again because I started snowboarding again first a couple of seasons ago and I ended up wanting to skate with my son too and told him it was the best way in the off season to get ready for snow season. So we bought a 2' keen miniramp at the start of quarantine. I didnt grow up skating transition -at all-. I can carve parks and kick turn high up on a vert ramp but until recently, dont ask me to do shit on or above coping. That's starting to change now, but really what I've been most excited about aside from learning that stuff and skating bigger parks now is starting to gently skate street again.

Everyone's experience is different and I am sad I went away from it but whatever. I am 44 now and not wasting any more time. My son and I do it together and it absolutely rips, but I think I am even more into it than him right now.

The hard part is balancing it with surfing, mountain biking, and running. All other things I am into. I only get to snowboard about 30 days a year, a lot of it in Mammoth, so we will skate at parks on the way up and back as a part of that.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2020, 11:21:10 AM by bigdave »
ok thanks

one-off

• Rep: 109
« Reply #51 on: September 21, 2020, 01:34:54 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I just give a curt nod and get back to our playing at stirring up cacio e pepe with the wood chips

Trashcon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 112
« Reply #52 on: September 21, 2020, 01:43:04 PM »
As a friend of former active skaters, I can add that most of my friends who skate and have kids, don't skate anymore. A small handful, still do, but when they do, it's far in between. There's a couple who built ramps at their houses so they can still skate, not street, but we get some nice sessions in sometimes.

bigdave

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 179
« Reply #53 on: September 21, 2020, 01:57:38 PM »
Hey also - vasectomies. Highly recommended.
ok thanks

McBrandt

• Rep: -14
« Reply #54 on: September 22, 2020, 11:25:44 AM »
If wifey is supportive of skating pre-kids, then she probably would be to some degree afterwards. Mine always liked how I came home with a big grin on my face after a session, even before kids. But even at that point I wasn't really skating much. With kids, I think she'd give me some time to do it (maybe not right now with a 9 month old), but I don't take her up on it much as I feel like I end up having to pay it back times 3. Pre pandemic with one kid she would try and schedule a family outing to a park with a skatepark, but the few times we'd do it my daughter wanted to ride her scooter around the park which always just lead to me holding her and never really skating anyway.

Free time is few and far between, but i'm so used to being busy i usually get bored after an hour or so of just chilling out. any free time is spent playing guitar mostly, which is what i was gravitating towards pre kids anyways. since we divide and conquer and the 5 year old sleeps in the room with me i get maybe 30 minutes playing guitar in headphones in the bathroom most nights and that suffices. on weekends i can sneak out to the garage and play louder and put on a skate video or old martial arts flick on the tv whilst I do it.

When I was mid 30s i had no desire to have kids. that changed in a few short years. i'd have been happy to have just one, it's less stress and money. but i don't regret the second. Dealing with the other parents is a trip sometimes. you really see how some people never mentally graduate high school. people trying to force kid friendships based on the kid/parent, or keeping up with joneses and whatever else. I also know so much about My Little Pony it's scary. A lot of kids shows though, they stick in jokes/writing to amuse the parents. just watched one with big lebowski characters. Fuck Booba, though. my daughter loves him. sorry for the novel.

Lifer

• Rep: 74
« Reply #55 on: September 22, 2020, 12:30:46 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

same. firin' blanks like steve zissou is how to really live
I plan to get a vasectomy eventually. How long did it take ya'll off the board ? That's my only concern as I'd imagine you would have to chill out for a bit.

McBrandt

• Rep: -14
« Reply #56 on: September 22, 2020, 01:25:47 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

same. firin' blanks like steve zissou is how to really live
[close]
I plan to get a vasectomy eventually. How long did it take ya'll off the board ? That's my only concern as I'd imagine you would have to chill out for a bit.

I think there's two different procedures, and one's pretty chill? My coworker said he just had sore junk for a day or so. I was planning on getting one but the pandemic fucked that up. As soon as it's more chill I'm scheduling one. Who knows what a conservative majority supreme court will take away.

pugmaster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #57 on: September 22, 2020, 06:43:45 PM »
Tom Segura recently got the snip.  Here he talks about it.

Never forget:

pica

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -35
« Reply #58 on: September 24, 2020, 04:20:24 PM »
It works. Don‘t plan your day around skating. Just squeeze it in whenever you can. Also my son who is 2,5 years now likes to go to the skatepark thats next to the playground. Sometimes he rides his bike for 25 minutes while i skate, sometimes we move to the playground after 5 minutes.

Early mornings while hes at the kindergarten or at night when hes sleeping.

You skate shorter sessions, but you will grow older and you cant/wont skate vor 6 hours straight as you used to when you where 21 anyways.

And to be honest i‘d rather spend my afternoon wth my son than driving to a spot at the emd of the world sitting in the gutter watching  jimmy not get his super tech line.

If i go skate i want to skate and just cut all the hanging out talking trash bullshit part. I have had  that for years, i‘ve seen it all and it always repeats itself.

Of course i‘m down for a beer after the session, but i dont want to waste my whole day skating without skating.

Also this fits:

iKobrakai

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -717
« Reply #59 on: September 24, 2020, 04:45:28 PM »
Yo, how many were planned?