Author Topic: the skate photography thread  (Read 17495 times)

Fongstarr.

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 311
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Re: the skate photography thread
« Reply #30 on: October 08, 2020, 09:02:22 AM »
Allez_Jambon.....nice snaps. What lenses are you using with the XT2? I have an XT3. I use it for mostly personal stuff but only have a 23mm which is a 35mm equivalent. Thinking about another lens and might look into the 56mm but wonder if there is something else I should look into. Mostly using it for street style photos and my daughter. I have a Canon setup that I use for mostly everything else.
I'll fuckin
I'll fuckin
sew your asshole closed, and keep feedin you
and feedin you, and feedin you, and feedin you!

FakieDisaster

• Rep: 25
  • old leg
« Reply #31 on: November 01, 2020, 06:13:20 AM »
felt kinda relieving to see a bunch of fuji shooter here. currently on hiatus after selling off my X-T2 sets but still left with a Samyang (Rokinon?) fisheye in my disposal and just having the small X100F at the moment. might be trying just shooting some tricks with it + remote strobes since X100 have some good flash sync well over 1/1000.

Kevve

• Rep: 6
« Reply #32 on: November 04, 2020, 09:36:30 AM »
I picked up skating and photography again a year ago, no skate photos to share yet tho. I shot with a Canon 1000D which been with me for 10 years. Thinking about upgrading but im lost, you guys got any tips? Thoughts on the "new" mirrorless cameras?

Im familiar with canons interface so thats where i've started looking, checked out the 90D so far and the
equivalent mirrorless model.

Should we have a separate thread for gear talk?

gibbydekeyzer

• Rep: 1
« Reply #33 on: November 11, 2020, 10:46:41 PM »
https://www.instagram.com/p/CHR91YLHGlM/
not necessarily skate photography but just photos in general. My friend and I are trying to curate a page with combination of skate photos and other stuff check it out :)

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 518
« Reply #34 on: November 11, 2020, 11:04:23 PM »
Haven't really been shooting photos the past year. Did get a recent one on my new Fuji X100 though

https://www.instagram.com/p/CHE5LC1l0xI/

Molte

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 169
« Reply #35 on: November 24, 2020, 03:55:18 PM »
I just moved recently, and there is this big ass skatepark in one of the neighboring cities, that I don't really like.
Well, I went there this Sunday and shot some photos with a funny local kid called Simon, that one of my friends teaches in 9th/10th grade isch.

Shot on
Canon 40d (crop sensor camera)
Peleng 8mm 3.5 (fisheye)
Canon 50mm 1.8
Canon 24-70mm 2.8 mk i

Then I've got two speedlite, Canon 580EX II and Yongnou YN560-II, that I switch between for no other reason, that sometimes I just can't make one of them work.

Fs ollie

Blunt fakie

Fs smith

Fs grind

Tuck knee out of the bowl

Fs rock
Christ airs, airwalks and darkslides

Molte

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 169
« Reply #36 on: November 24, 2020, 04:45:15 PM »
I'll make a separate post from my recent, cuz I'd like to discuss the process of shooting, and hear how you guys approach it?

I can chip in with a couple of my own evaluations

Focus
In the beginning, I would have my skater stand still approximately where he would do his trick, auto focus on him, and then go on manual focus for shooting the photo. I would have to bother my skater every time I had moved slightly, and never felt too cool doing so.
These days, I arrange with my skater where he should do his trick. Just like point "this tile" or "this leaf", and then when I move my ass around, I can auto focus on where we would've arranged it. Sometimes I keep the shutter release half in to focus until I release, sometimes I'll focus and switch to manual focus again. I can switch between these two techniques during one session, and I've yet got to find out what's really to prefer over the other.

Light
I'll still have the skater stand where he'll make the trick, in order to set up exposure and light. Usually I'll arrange how I want my ambient light first, probably slightly under exposed, and then find out where to put the flash.

I just try out a couple of test shots to find out how much power I want the flash to unload, and I don't really use this feature were you can see if your photo is clipping. I don't care too much to what extend the exposure is perfect. I just eyeball it on the screen, and if I can't see it burn out, I'm happy.

Lens and angle
This is where I really want to put my attention, as this to me is where you really are getting into the portraying of skateboarding. It's hard really to put many words into it, except that I try to think of photos that I've seen of specific tricks, and try to re-create them, but with the certain skateboarders style in mind.

I plan on making a library of cool shots of every thinkable trick I might end up shooting as preparation. I would love to say, that I can just come up with ideas at the spot, but sometimes I feel at loss, and end up just setting up the fisheye, though I've got a feeling that a long lens could work out. I fair amount of experimentation is of course in it's place, but then there's also no reason to make mistakes that other people have all ready made.

Sum up
I do want to put some more work into getting great exposure later on, but at the moment I'm happy with my photos looking rough, clipping, having lot of noise or what not. As said, it's more important to me, to have a photo where you really get a feeling of what tricks has been presented to you.
Christ airs, airwalks and darkslides

Matze

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -21
    • www.matthiaswinkel.com avatar image
« Reply #37 on: November 30, 2020, 02:28:19 AM »
What a good idea!
I don't shot digital (yet) so my methods are a bit different.

Focus
Fisheye is kinda trick but I use two methods: either way composing and looking through the finder or I just point the camera at the skater in the hope for a good composition. I focus mostly to 1m with f5.6, so most of the pics turn out sharp. With long lens I tend to fosus either way on the point of the ledge or the skater has to pose befor the picture. most of the time I focus manually.

Light

natural light: for fisheye I give it a stop or two more to portrait the skater a little bit better. with long lens I try to shoot with the sun.
flashes: my setup is the classical "V". one flash left, one flash right, sometimes a rim light. I always use a flash meter.

Lens and angle

If you ever used a hasselblad fisheye you don't want to shot anything else. In the recent months I used a regular slr a lot more, so I kinda got more creative with a 135mm lens. Most of my friends skating is "low impact", so fish is always a good method to bring in a more dramatic feeling.

Sum up

been shoting skateboarding since 20 years but still a bloody amateur. 80% of the times my methods seem to work out.

I'll add something to the list: the gear

In the last years I collected a set-up that would be hot in 1999. Hasselblad 500c/m (lenses 30mm, 50mm, 80mm, 150mm), Canon EOS 1v a 5 (15mm, 28mm, 50mm, 135mm) and a fuji tx-1/hasselblad (45mm and 90mm). I use Ilford Delta and Kodak Ektar the most. 
My flash setup contains a Metz 45 and two yongnuo 560 flashes

In the next months I will change my skate setup because a) it's super heavy and b) very expensive (every time my friends bail the local lab gets 1 Euro for film and development). Right now I'm thinking about getting a Fuji x-pro 3. Quality seems good, lenses are good too and it doesn't feel too digital. I tried out the sony a7iii and felt like quitting photography all together.

bataaard

• Rep: 40
« Reply #38 on: November 30, 2020, 05:18:12 AM »
I'm a huge fan of xpan and own one aswell. I'd love to see your TX1 shots !

christ0v

• Rep: 15
« Reply #40 on: January 02, 2021, 07:00:51 AM »
So I've been on a two, shit almost 3 year hiatus, since we moved to a new apartment and the area sucks for skating. But as soon as I gets warmer I'll get a new board. Meanwhile I'll try to take some photos. Here are my first attempts at skate photography.

http://www.instagram.com/p/CJgTqNYp-gX/?igshid=1fprcbmbgcbx

http://www.instagram.com/p/CJiqX3UpVLt/?igshid=8qbuja0dv3cr

CHONGO

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 28
    • tumblr avatar image
« Reply #41 on: January 02, 2021, 10:34:48 AM »
So I've been on a two, shit almost 3 year hiatus, since we moved to a new apartment and the area sucks for skating. But as soon as I gets warmer I'll get a new board. Meanwhile I'll try to take some photos. Here are my first attempts at skate photography.

http://www.instagram.com/p/CJgTqNYp-gX/?igshid=1fprcbmbgcbx

http://www.instagram.com/p/CJiqX3UpVLt/?igshid=8qbuja0dv3cr

framing on the last photo is so sick

christ0v

• Rep: 15
« Reply #42 on: January 02, 2021, 12:40:45 PM »
Thanks! I think that's the real keeper from all the ones I take.

pointandclick

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 243

Matze

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #44 on: January 04, 2021, 11:19:32 AM »
Love those! What lenses do you use?

pointandclick

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 243
« Reply #45 on: January 04, 2021, 01:05:25 PM »
Most were shot on a nikkor 105 2.8, i believe the rest were 35mm. I have had to replace all my lenses but still dont have that 105.

JimGeko

• Rep: -38
« Reply #46 on: January 07, 2021, 08:34:52 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Most were shot on a nikkor 105 2.8, i believe the rest were 35mm. I have had to replace all my lenses but still dont have that 105.

That Nikkor 105 2.8 is a sick lens. so buttery. I used it a lot when I was a food photographer.
What do you say on a Slap signature?

I DON"T KNOW!

MASHED POTATO * APPLE SAUCE * BUTTERY... BISCUITS.

https://ephmedia.giphy.com/4e27e798-9a5d-4df3-87ba-b18f905e055a.gif

Matze

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #47 on: January 07, 2021, 11:38:29 PM »
yeah, I thought that it could be something like that. I always had 50mm lenses but they seem to be a little bit too wide for skating, so I got myself a canon 135mm f2 a year ago. Took some great pictures but it's way too heavy. For the x pro fuji offers a 56mm f1.2 (about 85mm in 35mm) lens which is half the weight. 105mm seems like a perfect focal lenghts ...

Speaking of set-ups ... what would your perfect setup look like?
« Last Edit: January 08, 2021, 12:48:03 AM by Matze »

HeavyLow

• Rep: 8
« Reply #48 on: January 17, 2021, 12:01:05 PM »
Recently bought a Fuji X-T3. My fisheye hasn't arrived yet. But do you guys have some recommendations on settings while shooting skateboarding? Currently I have the Fujinon XF 18-55mm f/2,8-4 R LM OIS lens.

Cheers!

Matze

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #49 on: January 18, 2021, 02:02:44 AM »
what I personally do is set it to f5.6 and focus to 1m. works 95% of the time.

second_domain

• Rep: -4
« Reply #50 on: January 20, 2021, 02:15:47 AM »
Switched from a heavy bag with a Nikon d300, some lenses and flashes to just a small and cheap Fuji x-e3 and never looked back. A fuji and capture one pro is all you need. The cameras are so good by now, even the jpgs straight out of the cam are more then satisfying. And I use some of my Nikon lenses on my fuji, which is working out ok, but usually I prefer to avoid taking a heavy back to skate sessions again.

Simcity

• Rep: 24

eddiethink

« Reply #52 on: January 22, 2021, 06:03:34 AM »
Nice thread.

I found this while looking for a input on a Nikon d610 for skateboarding since I might want to pick up again after a 4/5 year hiatus.
Some useful tips on here and definitely some killer photos.
Maybe it's the "rona but it's itching again.
My old D300s is wasted though so I definitely need to upgrade

Here's some of my pics

eddiethink

« Reply #53 on: January 22, 2021, 06:05:21 AM »
and a few more

matty_c

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 459
« Reply #54 on: January 22, 2021, 06:28:59 AM »
I used to borrow a d7 and try get some, this is probably eight years old, switch flip

I can only post this shitty screenshot the original image too big and I’m not good with computers

https://ibb.co/LpkKgg6
« Last Edit: January 24, 2021, 05:19:47 AM by matty_c »
listen to cosmic psychos

matty_c

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 459
« Reply #55 on: January 24, 2021, 01:31:04 AM »
I totally blew this one, I was walking just now and I saw this bloke. He was sleeping or at least pretending to be. I took some photos and hid three cigarettes and ten dollars in his bed. I should have asked but I thought it would make a nice photo and I’m real bummed I blew it

I haven’t any proper training I try to go thirds and I also try to frame shit with background but I feel it hasn’t worked here there’s no depth. I hate the photo but it was such a nice thing to walk past.
Nice is relative I suppose
I’d love some constructive criticism please

https://ibb.co/WBcy1nT

Edit I will post a few that I took, I knew I hadn’t got it so I just took what I could in a minute or two but I’d love some criticism I’d hate to get another opportunity for a nice photo and blow it again

https://ibb.co/YtnyssY
https://ibb.co/qjQ3pxF
listen to cosmic psychos

Matze

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #56 on: January 28, 2021, 12:57:58 AM »
Matty, there is a general photography Thread in whatever, where you might get an answer

https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=25512.0

sharkjumper

• Rep: 39
« Reply #57 on: January 28, 2021, 01:32:02 PM »
Nice thread.

I found this while looking for a input on a Nikon d610 for skateboarding since I might want to pick up again after a 4/5 year hiatus.
Some useful tips on here and definitely some killer photos.
Maybe it's the "rona but it's itching again.
My old D300s is wasted though so I definitely need to upgrade

Here's some of my pics

I've run a D610 for several years.  Shoots great photos.  Low light is OK at best, especially compared to what sensors do now.  And it's a tad slow fps for sequences.  But for the price, it's hard to beat.  There are a few photos of mine shot with it on the first page of this thread.

Also, when I quoted your post it showed your image names.  Rad that you have a photo of Lenore!  I used to skate with her a bunch many years ago in Colorado.

sharkjumper

• Rep: 39
« Reply #58 on: January 28, 2021, 09:50:11 PM »
Here are a couple somewhat recent film shots.  400 tri-x on a Minolta CLE with a voigtlander 28mm.

Matze

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #59 on: January 29, 2021, 12:54:09 AM »
Nice! Haven't shot tri-x in years, because Ilford is 20-30% cheaper. Which 28mm do you use? the ultron?