Author Topic: Square-ish shaped decks?  (Read 10226 times)

Boog

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 190
Re: Square-ish shaped decks?
« Reply #30 on: October 01, 2020, 09:31:01 AM »
The Baker B2 and DLX Full SE are not in the same ballpark as WKND/FA/AWS when it comes to square nose/tails.

The B2 is more like a full/DLX SE as it isn't pointy.
The Max Schaaf board I have is. But you also have to take into account that he's a vert/transition skater so that's probably why it's more squared than a normal full se.

Mr. Stinky

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 311
« Reply #31 on: October 01, 2020, 10:04:33 AM »
Sorry if this is too tangential, but it's related: can't find my usual antihero/dlx shapes (8.25/8.4x32) so I ordered a 8.25 FA because I wanted to try a shorter wheelbase. I mostly notice the difference in width between 8.25 and 8.38/8.4 boards where the nose and tail taper, so I figured a square 8.25 would feel at least a bit more like the slightly tapered  8.4 on flip tricks. I was worried the FA 8.38 would just feel too fat past the bolts by comparison. Good call, bad call, or jam it, nerd?

Lou Strux

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2151
  • The Swede is down at Venice Beach, shove off!
« Reply #32 on: October 01, 2020, 03:10:38 PM »
Polar popsicles seem to fit the bill too. They also have the Arigato if you're interested in trying something really, really square, but it's only available in 8.38 (please pontus give me a bigger arigato)

I too, also, as well, would fuck with an Arigato in the 8.75" range.
Pontus, you could make it up to me for discontinuing my favorite, the P8 shape (at least it seems to have been discontinued; not a one to be found in the states.) Maybe call it the Ari-gordo?

I wanna play you in a game of SKATE for the right to continue talking shit on me.  You think you got me?

FUBAR

• Rep: 231
« Reply #33 on: October 01, 2020, 03:43:56 PM »
Is the Polar P2 discontinued now? Hope that is not true

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 838
  • like….? brunch
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #34 on: October 01, 2020, 11:32:03 PM »
Is the Polar P2 discontinued now? Hope that is not true
where did you hear that? as far as i know the P2 is one of the more popular polar shapes... cant see why they would stop making them
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

FUBAR

« Reply #35 on: October 02, 2020, 03:24:51 AM »
Soit looks like I was reading something about a different P2. Whew. I was skating mine the other day and decided I will get another one...it’s the perfect curb board for me.

tyshoes

• Rep: 8
« Reply #36 on: October 17, 2020, 10:32:30 AM »
I have the Ariagato 8.38 but I hung it up..Tapered to much by the tail agree with 8.75

Welcome Ryan Lay is like an ariagato but 8.6. Much nicer.

Numbers Edition Koston is similar to FA

My buddy at legend skates just put out this one, if you are ok w the graphics. Comes w free tshirt too

https://legend94.bigcartel.com/product/jeff-toland-board

Also creature and winkowski powerply.

Ariaganto vs Welcome Ryan Lay

franc

• Rep: 96
« Reply #37 on: October 17, 2020, 02:18:00 PM »
Magenta used to make really good square boards in all kinds of width from 8 to 8.6 but they haven't made any recently and aren't planning on making them anymore from what I heard. Loved those.

munchbox

• SLAP Pal
  • like….? brunch
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #38 on: October 17, 2020, 11:23:17 PM »
Magenta used to make really good square boards in all kinds of width from 8 to 8.6 but they haven't made any recently and aren't planning on making them anymore from what I heard. Loved those.

my shock and anger cannot be described in words
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 76
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #39 on: October 18, 2020, 02:48:45 AM »
Always wanted one of those magenta boards!
Arigato and Ryan Lay do look similar but the welcome has ridics wheelbase, I respect Ryan even more now knowing he can do that type of skating on those dimensions

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

Skrotum

• Rep: 12
« Reply #40 on: October 19, 2020, 10:28:31 AM »
respect Ryan even more now knowing he can do that type of skating on those dimensions

Yeah exactly his shape is nice but a WB > 14.5 feels terrible imo

franc

• Rep: 96
« Reply #41 on: October 19, 2020, 11:21:11 AM »
Always wanted one of those magenta boards!

Yeah, they're really good. Easy to adapt to and they look pretty rad. Love that big tail, makes tailslides and bluntslides easier, you can totally sit on them.

I had 5 or 6 of those then got another 2 and heard they weren't gonna make any more of these. Been skating the one I currently have set up for a year (I have 4 setups in rotation), gotta make it last! Gonna set up the last one soon. Equally hyped and sad, haha.

white guy in a durag

• Rep: 230
  • 0 days since last ankle injury
« Reply #42 on: October 19, 2020, 01:10:53 PM »
Always a great feeling to hear that my dream shape existed and was discontinued before I knew it existed. Swear I'm boutta just do a drifter run and try to flip the extra decks at skateparks.

ClayH

• Rep: 21
« Reply #43 on: October 19, 2020, 01:31:19 PM »
I was at the shop yesterday and they had one of the best selections I'd seen in a while, so I got to do a bit of shopping around based on what I'm into lately instead of just taking what they've got, like it's been the case for the last 6 months or so.

My square-ish deck related findings:

AWS/ Habitat - looks like FA/ Hockey, but elongated.

Doomsayers - pretty much a mellower FA/ Hockey, maybe a hair longer, but still on the short side. Excited to try one.

DLX Full SE - 8.5 is WAY more square than I expected, but 8.38 is definitely pointier. Go with the 8.5 if you want the super full nose and tail.

Passport - also pretty squared off, not as much as FA/ Hockey, closer to Quasi. Ended up getting an 8.6 PP. Feels really really good and roomy.

art hellman

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1152
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #44 on: October 19, 2020, 01:36:24 PM »

DLX Full SE - 8.5 is WAY more square than I expected, but 8.38 is definitely pointier. Go with the 8.5 if you want the super full nose and tail.

can confirm the 8.5 Full SE is WAY square.  love it. 
hardly art, hardly starving

TheLowerBack

• Rep: 171
  • GTU/FWD
« Reply #45 on: October 19, 2020, 01:50:49 PM »
https://www.instagram.com/p/CF2Nz7JBtH1/?igshid=tbevh89yracd
These will be available January or February. Both on the square-ish Clutch O shape.
First graphic is on 8.38 and 8.63, second one on 8.25 and 8.5.

FUBAR

« Reply #46 on: October 19, 2020, 05:23:41 PM »
These will be available January or February. Both on the square-ish Clutch O shape.

YES! Just followed on IG, I’ll need a new deck by then.

cucktard

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 321
I’m trying to be every mom’s favorite skater’-&&

Duane's the type of guy to ask to see your junk then go to school and tell everyone you're gay. - Uncle Flea

TheLowerBack

• GTU/FWD
« Reply #48 on: October 19, 2020, 05:38:57 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Thanks man. I’ll make a formal post on here when they’re available. I  should also have a website with proper product shots and the dims for each  by then.

munchbox

• SLAP Pal
  • like….? brunch
« Reply #49 on: October 19, 2020, 07:44:39 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
Thanks man. I’ll make a formal post on here when they’re available. I  should also have a website with proper product shots and the dims for each  by then.
wb for the 8.6? if its under 14.5 mark me down for two!

TheLowerBack

• GTU/FWD
« Reply #50 on: October 19, 2020, 08:14:33 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]
wb for the 8.6? if its under 14.5 mark me down for two!
Pretty sure it’s right at 14.5. Unfortunately, they do a big up charge for changing dimensions.

Boog

• Rep: 190
« Reply #51 on: October 20, 2020, 07:57:16 AM »
[email][email][/email][/email]
Expand Quote

[close]

can confirm the 8.5 Full SE is WAY square.  love it.

Yes the REAL 8.5 full se I'm skating is amazing. Almost like a quasi with more concave. I'm going to buy this shape from now on.

IrritableBowel2

• Rep: 20
« Reply #52 on: October 20, 2020, 09:26:00 AM »
Are the kicks steep or mellow on the Full SE shape?

ClayH

• Rep: 21
« Reply #53 on: October 20, 2020, 12:48:09 PM »
Are the kicks steep or mellow on the Full SE shape?
I'd say they're pretty medium/ the concave you expect with DLX boards. They're stamped, so you can use that as an indicator and find which one on the press feels best to you. Definitely not as steep as FA/ Hockey, which is my biggest gripe about those boards.

IrritableBowel2

• Rep: 20
« Reply #54 on: October 20, 2020, 01:41:32 PM »
Thanks for answering Clay.

stubbie

• Rep: -2
« Reply #55 on: October 20, 2020, 06:32:12 PM »
my gx deck is pretty square

Esmith5488

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 390
« Reply #56 on: October 20, 2020, 06:42:38 PM »
The roger tugboat shape has a square-ish nose and tail and I think all of Max Taylor boards are on that shape and you should support max Taylor because that dude is fucking wild and doesn’t get the respect he should

https://skateparkoftampa.com/product/85704/Roger_Skateboards_NA_Max_Taylor_Pear_Deck/&CID=1

Weezil

• Rep: 32
« Reply #57 on: October 21, 2020, 12:23:23 PM »
my gx deck is pretty square
Yeah I think they use the same shapes as quasi. Got one ready to go next and it feels about the same as what I’m used to.

topfrog10

• Rep: 6
« Reply #58 on: August 19, 2021, 09:46:47 PM »
I was at the shop yesterday and they had one of the best selections I'd seen in a while, so I got to do a bit of shopping around based on what I'm into lately instead of just taking what they've got, like it's been the case for the last 6 months or so.

Doomsayers - pretty much a mellower FA/ Hockey, maybe a hair longer, but still on the short side. Excited to try one.

Passport - also pretty squared off, not as much as FA/ Hockey, closer to Quasi. Ended up getting an 8.6 PP. Feels really really good and roomy.

Bringing this shit back because I am on some heavy madness. I've never heard passport being in the realm of squared off, but I love the brand so I would be very hyped if it is closish to a quasi deck. Can someone confirm/deny? @ClayH how did this board treat you the world needs to know

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 264
  • Just deck / woodshop info
« Reply #59 on: August 20, 2021, 06:40:48 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Bringing this shit back because I am on some heavy madness. I've never heard passport being in the realm of squared off, but I love the brand so I would be very hyped if it is closish to a quasi deck. Can someone confirm/deny? @ClayH how did this board treat you the world needs to know

Passport have a couple of shaped decks, which have more stubby ends, but their normal boards are definitely round popsicles and not at all squared off.

I think people have mentioned all the brands that are more squared off already, if you are talking normal boards, but there are a lot of shaped decks that have squared kicks, which I can put in a list if you would like.

Wider normal kicks are more in the "Full" category, so were you after full shaped popsicles or squared shaped decks?