Author Topic: Adidas Closing Shop Accounts  (Read 22736 times)

hateboard

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -277
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
Re: Adidas Closing Shop Accounts
« Reply #150 on: October 28, 2020, 05:31:46 PM »
Ive been running Adidas and Nike for a few years, but I always had a problem with the outside heel wearing away to the insole cavity before any other part of the shoe (which sux when ur walking in the wet). Then I spotted a pair of  Emerica reynolds 2's in a bargain bin and grabbed em for nostalgia. They lasted so much longer and the heel held up great, wore evenly with the flat up front for the first time in as long as I can remember. Im no shoe guru but it makes me wonder if the big 3 design shoes to fault quickly / with fast wearing materials to sell more.

Genericwhitemale

« Reply #151 on: October 28, 2020, 06:22:06 PM »
A shop owner told me he wont fuck with Nike  because they make you sell crappy shoes when you place an order.
If you want a run of Dunks, Nike will send the shop pairs of Janoski, Blazer, Nyjahs, etc. So to sell one model, you're forced to sell 5 others which decreases space on the wall and stockroom and pushes out core brands like Lakai and eS.

HaveFunSkateboarding

• Rep: 20
« Reply #152 on: October 28, 2020, 07:07:35 PM »
I know that One Up in Pittsburgh was just notified that their Adidas account was pulled, it pisses me off. Also, they tried getting Nike SB in there a little while back and were denied.

• Rep: 31
« Reply #153 on: October 28, 2020, 07:26:47 PM »
I don’t care if all of these companies go under. I used to rock Ellesse like Natas and can go back to that shit any day. That said, buy State shoes.

lk130

• Topic and Post Probation
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -829
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #154 on: October 28, 2020, 08:32:03 PM »
Is Chris Roberts on Adidas
I need Cariuma -Me

yungxmulaxbaby

mattdlx

• Rep: 165
« Reply #155 on: October 28, 2020, 10:07:25 PM »

Lots of solid points. I've lived in several large cities over the years, and out of all of them, only one shop (35th North) ever felt inviting. Cal's Pharmacy, DLX shop, and others have always been headed by egotistical, clichish chaps. To say that they deserve people's hard-earned bread-n-butter despite their own selfish tendencies is the opposite of what skateboarding claims to be.

This is parenthetical to the main discussion here, but if your DLX experience was in the past 19 years then I offer my sincerest apologies; that is the opposite of what I’ve strove for with the place. I’m as far from a “cool guy” as it gets.

Definitely a fan of 35th as well; Tony rules.
SPB!

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1594
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #156 on: October 28, 2020, 11:03:07 PM »
Hardgood sales are completely bananas and there's a six page thread crying about shoes......

Lou Strux

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2260
  • The Swede is down at Venice Beach, shove off!
« Reply #157 on: October 28, 2020, 11:50:00 PM »
Expand Quote

Lots of solid points. I've lived in several large cities over the years, and out of all of them, only one shop (35th North) ever felt inviting. Cal's Pharmacy, DLX shop, and others have always been headed by egotistical, clichish chaps. To say that they deserve people's hard-earned bread-n-butter despite their own selfish tendencies is the opposite of what skateboarding claims to be.
[close]

This is parenthetical to the main discussion here, but if your DLX experience was in the past 19 years then I offer my sincerest apologies; that is the opposite of what I’ve strove for with the place. I’m as far from a “cool guy” as it gets.

The DLX shop is gold in my book; they even treat my toddler with the same respect accorded any other local.
They can have my skate dollars.

I wanna play you in a game of SKATE for the right to continue talking shit on me.  You think you got me?

Shuh

• Rep: 0
« Reply #158 on: October 29, 2020, 12:29:30 AM »
So i think we will at some point in the future, see a known Pro from the the major corpo brand back to core brand.

RichardBarkley

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -767
« Reply #159 on: October 29, 2020, 01:04:27 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]
The DLX shop is gold in my book; they even treat my toddler with the same respect accorded any other local.
They can have my skate dollars.

Nicest shop I've ever been to
I want to fight you so badly richard
Please give me your address ill make it my life goal to punsh your face in

Billy Bitchcakes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 483
  • Q U I T E S T Y L I S H
« Reply #160 on: October 29, 2020, 02:47:07 AM »
When I was an impressionable kid, the guys in my local 'core' shop outright told me how much better quality the Janoski's and Bruins were over the emericas/etnies/lakais I was looking at. "emericas rip like soggy cardboard etc."

I bought the Janoski's and they loved it. Now I clearly see how they were trying to upsell and get me to spend my birthday money on higher price point shoes. Well, it worked, so who's fault is it I haven't bought emericas since?

Yours
During sex to prevent myself from ejaculating I think about Osama Bin Laden running my dick through a sewing machine.

satans cunt hair

• Rep: -2
« Reply #161 on: October 29, 2020, 04:01:37 AM »
Not gonna shed a single tear for any shop who supported Nike or Adidas. That's what you get for jumping on the jock train.

How CORE of you. Many smaller regional shops would have likely lost tons of money on softgoods/ footwear if they had only stocked soletech, podium and smaller brands for much of the 2010's. No shop moving <500+ boards a month is making much profit on hard goods. Not compromising sometimes backfires, ask all the green party voters from 2016.

sfa

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 180
« Reply #162 on: October 29, 2020, 05:27:20 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Matt is One of the nicest guys in skating
I need a coffee

radcunt

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 505
    • FARTPISS DOGCUM avatar image
« Reply #163 on: October 29, 2020, 06:05:08 AM »
I'll say this... Nathaniel is a Caucasian,registered Republican,Christian.  :o These companies frown upon this combination.
Poor baby on top of the food chain. The most victimised of all.

hank

• Rep: -33
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #164 on: October 29, 2020, 06:15:14 AM »
Good move

fredgallSOTY

« Reply #165 on: October 29, 2020, 06:16:00 AM »
Expand Quote
I'll say this... Nathaniel is a Caucasian,registered Republican,Christian.  :o These companies frown upon this combination.
[close]
Poor baby on top of the food chain. The most victimised of all.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1594
« Reply #166 on: October 29, 2020, 07:03:58 AM »
Expand Quote
Hardgood sales are completely bananas and there's a six page thread crying about shoes......
[close]

Shops will always find something to cry about

As opposed to people who post here?  I don't think it's the shops complaining.....it's just people who want to talk shit....it's fun man...I get it...

Had_to_be_said

« Reply #167 on: October 29, 2020, 07:04:55 AM »
If skating was kept “core” we would still be calling each other faggots and stealing other kids boards if they couldn’t Ollie.

No thank you.

FS_Overcrook

• Rep: 10
« Reply #168 on: October 29, 2020, 07:16:45 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Shops will always find something to cry about

I don’t think it’s really fair to say they are crying. Imagine having a stable business relationship for 5-12 years and paying bills then waking up to it being severed with no explanation. Shops are just worried about revenue streams. Hard goods are up now, but if this boom slows down, some of these shops relied on Adidas to bring in certain customers that will just go online now. Shops have it tough as it is already especially with the Pandemic. I’ve already seen a new wave close. I just think there should be more to help keep the doors open for them since the right shops put in the work to get new people into skating and provide the best products/service to people who have been skating a long time. For the culture.

Also shout out to Matt at Deluxe. Always a good experience in SF when I went. No cool guy vibe there.

ok boomer

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1034
  • Gnar Kook
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #169 on: October 29, 2020, 07:33:06 AM »
Here's the back of me shopping at DLX in 2011. Dunno if you can tell but I was on a shopping spree

straight fucking edge

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -170
« Reply #170 on: October 29, 2020, 07:48:54 AM »
I'm not too familiar with the financial back workings of shops, so please someone correct me if I am wrong, but wouldn't this be considered a good thing for shops who want to embrace the core ethos and don't want to carry Nike and Addidas anymore?

Now shops can open accounts with core brands without Nike or Addidas monopolizing the shelves thus catalyzing a renaissance of financial support from skaters at shops. Or does this cripple shops who rely on Nike and Addidas sales to remain profitable?

what good does that do them if its nike and adidas that people are buying?  majority of people aren't going to just start wearing emericas because embark stopped carrying nike or adidas.  they are just going to get them online or whatever, leaving the shop with less customers. 

i am friends with one of nike's 'top riders' or whatever you'd call it and i've seen how much his life has changed from when he rode (and had few shoes out) on a core brand, so I can understand why someone would ride for one of these big companies and i support that decision.  i however don't support the big companies and only skate core brands.  it isn't going to make a difference to the person riding for nike or adidas whether i am buying those shoes or not, but it will make a difference to someone like dakota servold if i buy emericas or not.
i don't want to link to the channel because is promotes athiesm.

hot take

• Rep: -57
« Reply #171 on: October 29, 2020, 07:50:17 AM »
Nike sb dropped my local shop years ago. They do carry a lot of adidas. They seemed like the lesser of two evils.

Meanwhile in the midst of the Covid outbreak the NB# made a home visit to look over the catalogue and put in an order.

FS_Overcrook

• Rep: 10
« Reply #172 on: October 29, 2020, 08:17:49 AM »
Expand Quote
I'm not too familiar with the financial back workings of shops, so please someone correct me if I am wrong, but wouldn't this be considered a good thing for shops who want to embrace the core ethos and don't want to carry Nike and Addidas anymore?

Now shops can open accounts with core brands without Nike or Addidas monopolizing the shelves thus catalyzing a renaissance of financial support from skaters at shops. Or does this cripple shops who rely on Nike and Addidas sales to remain profitable?
[close]

what good does that do them if its nike and adidas that people are buying?  majority of people aren't going to just start wearing emericas because embark stopped carrying nike or adidas.  they are just going to get them online or whatever, leaving the shop with less customers. 

i am friends with one of nike's 'top riders' or whatever you'd call it and i've seen how much his life has changed from when he rode (and had few shoes out) on a core brand, so I can understand why someone would ride for one of these big companies and i support that decision.  i however don't support the big companies and only skate core brands.  it isn't going to make a difference to the person riding for nike or adidas whether i am buying those shoes or not, but it will make a difference to someone like dakota servold if i buy emericas or not.

I assume you mean Bobby?

Yeah I personally agree there’s never any ill will towards pros that can get a good deal and make the money while they can. Just playing devils advocate that if a company as large as Adidas was to significantly cut its am/flow team it would leave a lot of skateboarders out to dry the same as what core companies did when the boom of the 2000’s dried up and they couldn’t afford the salary’s of team riders due to less revenue coming into the brand (when eS cut their whole pro team and went under).

I think it’s important to start throwing some consumer purchasing power here and there to some smaller brands so they can grow and expand on what they have. I don’t believe that non-sporting goods skate shoe brands aren’t working towards better deals for their riders or better quality footwear. It does kinda limit you when 3-5 brands take up 75% of consumers revenue streams in skateboarding.

duniwayRobber

• Rep: -140
  • ?
« Reply #173 on: October 29, 2020, 08:36:55 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Matt is One of the nicest guys in skating

I sent Matt a PM but since I publicly denounced his shop I wanted to publicly redact my statement. My mindless shit-posting was completely uncalled for on this one. The only actually 'bad' experience I fully remember at DLX is when I dropped off a couple used skates and the guy (kiddo to me now) behind the counter said "great, how are we supposed to sell any boards now?". It had nothing to do with the owner and I feel incredibly disingenuous blanketing the shop under that random NOT EVEN BAD encounter.

DLX would let me stand on every single board until I found the right one; they are a great shop, and deserve support.

I never had a good time at the other shop I name-dropped, but who gives a fuck, right? I'm sure it was the highlight of some other person's youth to check it out.

Honestly feeling pretty bummed about this.   
fuck poutine we eat pussy out here.

sus

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 379
« Reply #174 on: October 29, 2020, 08:49:35 AM »
When I was an impressionable kid, the guys in my local 'core' shop outright told me how much better quality the Janoski's and Bruins were over the emericas/etnies/lakais I was looking at. "emericas rip like soggy cardboard etc."

I bought the Janoski's and they loved it. Now I clearly see how they were trying to upsell and get me to spend my birthday money on higher price point shoes. Well, it worked, so who's fault is it I haven't bought emericas since?

perhaps yours for not trying other shoes and making that decision for yourself? I dunno, its different when you're a kid

it kinda sounds similar to the "independents are the best trucks" dude that has never ridden any other truck in his life

I always remember sb's were fairly pricey, and i only ever got sale shoes from the local shop growing up, and any time i spotted an Emerica, Lakai, or eS shoebox in the sale section, i'd immediately gravitate towards those versus whatever other SB's or other shoes were in that sale section.

Blueabyssofthisss

« Reply #175 on: October 29, 2020, 08:52:13 AM »
Here's the back of me shopping at DLX in 2011. Dunno if you can tell but I was on a shopping spree

You kinda look like Dylan from behind

kid casserole

• Rep: 6
« Reply #176 on: October 29, 2020, 09:22:19 AM »
Hey,  I like Stan smiths I buy them at foot locker and you can ride your skateboard with them,  as well as the ones from the skateboard store.  These fuckers ate us up and spit us out just like I said they would.  Fuck I’m so angry. Lol at the guy fighting with the 20 year old calling him a trendy jock who thinks he knows it all.  You were a way worse example of that then he was. 

ChuckRamone

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 536
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #177 on: October 29, 2020, 09:24:38 AM »
If anyone here thinks any company/corporation (and they are ALL corporations) have "your back", they don't. Skateboarding and skateboarders are a market, they consume and thats why any company, big or small is selling their shit to you, TO MAKE MONEY. Nobody is in the game to "support" you or your scene. Sure they do demos, they do signings, hell they might even throw a fancy contest in your area and leave you a park (or just tear it down and leave). The reality is, companies don't owe you or skateboarding anything (except maybe to make decent shoes that don't wreck your feet). YOU need to make your scene, you need to support your local shop. Just because a company pulls out of shops doesn't mean they don't support skaters or skateboarding, it's that they've found a better way to do business, and that's business in itself. If your local shop is going to go out of business because their entire being rested on selling SB/ADI/Cons/NB then your local shop is bad at business. The take away is this, YOU are a consumer, you have the power because you have what companies want, money. Spend your money where you feel it's right. Spend it on the brand who makes your feet feel good. Spend it on the brand doing good things locally and socially. Spend it on the brand who hooks your homie up or is owned by your friends. Skateboarding is the best thing in the world, but it doesn't owe you shit and the companies in skateboarding don't owe you shit either....

Strawman the Post. No one reasonable thinks skate companies owe skaters anything. But non skater-owned companies should not have an outsize influence on skateboarding, because they will inevitably corrupt it with corporate practices and jock mentality.

Hey,  I like Stan smiths I buy them at foot locker and you can ride your skateboard with them,  as well as the ones from the skateboard store.  These fuckers ate us up and spit us out just like I said they would.  Fuck I’m so angry. Lol at the guy fighting with the 20 year old calling him a trendy jock who thinks he knows it all.  You were a way worse example of that then he was.

I never called him a know-it-all or mentioned his age. I don't think he brought up his exact age at any point. You're mixing posters up.

Lowcalcium

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -100
« Reply #178 on: October 29, 2020, 09:30:57 AM »
If anyone here thinks any company/corporation (and they are ALL corporations) have "your back", they don't. Skateboarding and skateboarders are a market, they consume and thats why any company, big or small is selling their shit to you, TO MAKE MONEY. Nobody is in the game to "support" you or your scene. Sure they do demos, they do signings, hell they might even throw a fancy contest in your area and leave you a park (or just tear it down and leave). The reality is, companies don't owe you or skateboarding anything (except maybe to make decent shoes that don't wreck your feet). YOU need to make your scene, you need to support your local shop. Just because a company pulls out of shops doesn't mean they don't support skaters or skateboarding, it's that they've found a better way to do business, and that's business in itself. If your local shop is going to go out of business because their entire being rested on selling SB/ADI/Cons/NB then your local shop is bad at business. The take away is this, YOU are a consumer, you have the power because you have what companies want, money. Spend your money where you feel it's right. Spend it on the brand who makes your feet feel good. Spend it on the brand doing good things locally and socially. Spend it on the brand who hooks your homie up or is owned by your friends. Skateboarding is the best thing in the world, but it doesn't owe you shit and the companies in skateboarding don't owe you shit either....

Dude your actually an idiot.

To compare ScumCo and Sons to Nike is a joke.

I think your whole argument of "YOU are a consumer, you have the power because you have what companies want, money." Is completely foolish and asinine. You seem to forget that big corporations have tons of money to throw at advertising and will use their weight...to push shops into selling product they don't want to sell.

roba

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 802
« Reply #179 on: October 29, 2020, 09:35:19 AM »
oh well, i will still be able to buy used shelltoes for ten bucks online. you guys are lucky that you even have skateshops, i can only get magenta boards in my town and nothing else as far as hardware goes. there are some headshops that carry shit like 15 year old shorty boards and 7.5 rasta krux trucks but other than that there's nothing, same goes for shoes. i'll skate any kicks that look alright and are cheap, because of that i had a shit ton of core shoes and many many more pairs of corpo shoes, the qc is usually better with big brands and they tend to last longer but some of the core skate shoes i owned were also pretty good. i tend to skate the corpo shoes more because they are easier to get but if i could buy es or lakais for cheap i would. i still see people in lakais, dcs, etnies and shit like that but the only reason for that is that some people here don't care about what's cool and trendy and they just skate whatever, i mean i see zero boards everyday.