Author Topic: Kader on Nike  (Read 72057 times)

quesly

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 14
Re: Kader on Nike
« Reply #570 on: March 05, 2021, 01:52:50 PM »
people in the comments on this post are way too salty about the music on a random instagram line

alex

• Rep: 34
« Reply #571 on: March 05, 2021, 02:04:39 PM »
I honestly believe he will bail on Baker and wind up on FA or Hockey at some point, but I have been wrong many times before.

I get that but it seems like baker is better at retaining their pros than chocolate or real or whoever else FA/Hockey riders were with before joining up. Rowan is another one I was waiting to see announced on FA but still hasn't happened. I'd like to think it's because reynolds and co personally invest in their skaters. Spanky's epicly later'd was kind of an insight into how bummed that dude was when he got dropped, he probably could've taken up elsewhere but worked back on the team.   
Suns out, im going skating. chow

Lou Strux

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2254
  • The Swede is down at Venice Beach, shove off!
« Reply #572 on: March 05, 2021, 02:14:07 PM »
Kader is sick but this is Slap, we can all agree he's not on the same level as guys like Hugo von Harkonnen or Jeppe Bjornblad so who cares really...
@BorgyCopers gets it: Pure Nordics' squad is dripping with sick Scanner rippers right now.
I used to buy Borgys from Concrete Jungle; loved 'em! Weren't they out of Smooth Hill distro or something?
Also, Kader just keeps getting better & better. People don't like this kid?!? What's ol' Borgsworth Copersmith on about?

I wanna play you in a game of SKATE for the right to continue talking shit on me.  You think you got me?

Reed Richards

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 106
« Reply #573 on: March 05, 2021, 02:35:46 PM »
Expand Quote
Also how is this thread so long?
[close]

There's also another thread that's 5 pages long. I have no idea how or why Kader is so polarizing.
Black skaters often get more scrutiny on here.  See Tyshawn, Na-Kel, Zach Allen, Beatrice, TK, Antwuan, etc...

NoComply180

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -461
  • Objectivity police
« Reply #574 on: March 05, 2021, 02:37:50 PM »
I bet he’ll get on neither

Him ah fall off building an bumboclot him legs

quesly

• Rep: 14
« Reply #575 on: March 05, 2021, 02:40:48 PM »
Expand Quote
I honestly believe he will bail on Baker and wind up on FA or Hockey at some point, but I have been wrong many times before.
[close]

I get that but it seems like baker is better at retaining their pros than chocolate or real or whoever else FA/Hockey riders were with before joining up. Rowan is another one I was waiting to see announced on FA but still hasn't happened. I'd like to think it's because reynolds and co personally invest in their skaters. Spanky's epicly later'd was kind of an insight into how bummed that dude was when he got dropped, he probably could've taken up elsewhere but worked back on the team.
Lenoce's bunt episode also talks about that. They sat him down and explained exactly why they were cutting him. Granted Lenoce still has as job at Bakerboys so he has a lot less reason to be bitter about it than Slash or Braydon. Despite their image it sounds like Baker has a lot of professionalism in dealing with their riders, which makes sense considering they've been in the game so long and have learned from their previous mistakes(Evan Hernandez, Furby, Leo, etc).

Big Skatefase

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 562
« Reply #576 on: March 05, 2021, 02:43:37 PM »
people in the comments on this post are way too salty about the music on a random instagram line

I mean it's not one of the better Chief Keef songs, but I've seen some awful indie rock or whatever that sounds just has bad that doesn't get as much hate. But I guess poorly singing over acoustic guitars, or screaming gibberish over distorted electric guitars is more tolerated.

Silky Johnson

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1362
« Reply #577 on: March 05, 2021, 02:44:04 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

There's also another thread that's 5 pages long. I have no idea how or why Kader is so polarizing.
[close]
Black skaters often get more scrutiny on here.  See Tyshawn, Na-Kel, Zach Allen, Beatrice, TK, Antwuan, etc...
Yeah I've noticed that too, Kader gets shit for switching his sponsors meanwhile dude's like Cyrus Bennett get labeled as "real" for doing the same thing.

shouldn't

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 89
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #578 on: March 05, 2021, 03:01:18 PM »
random but do you think baker still goes by the “everyone gets paid the same” rule or do you think reynolds is paying some dudes extra at this point to keep them from jumping ship?

imagine fucking the dog shit outta chris roberts

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 252
« Reply #579 on: March 05, 2021, 03:06:20 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]
Yeah I've noticed that too, Kader gets shit for switching his sponsors meanwhile dude's like Cyrus Bennett get labeled as "real" for doing the same thing.

I don’t think that’s quite an accurate comparison.  Cyrus left two companies where he wasn’t being treated well.  We haven’t heard why Kader has switched his shoe sponsor twice.   I do agree that the obsession with this is a bit over the top.  Racially-motivated?  Probably, but I also see it as just typical “hate the shiny little kid” that Sheckler and Nyjah got when super young, but then again, I don’t care that much in the first place.  It’s the same piranha style bullying that comes up in every MJ, Koston, AO thread where a bunch of posters can’t wait to sink their teeth and repeat the same tired comments like xyz “couldn’t handle MJs ideas”

Nakel and Tyshawn both come across as  assholes and bullies.  Personality traits I don’t find endearing in anyone, particularly T-Funk who I vocally can’t stand.   

Antwuan I feel doesn’t get any recrimination on here, despite a history of terrible judgement and not doing anything worthy in skateboarding for about 15+ years.  Basically he’s a white Crail Tap rider which I certainly vocally lambast on here. 

Beatrice (like Theotis, TK) just surprises me personally about the high level of sponsorships they get for what I perceive as average skate ability.   I wonder about it, worry that their brands are just co-opting their blackness for the image, but ultimately don’t lose sleep over it because skateboarding isn’t 100% meritocracy and I’m not the target audience of these moves and not everything thing needs for me. 

Pete

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 681
  • Free Max B
« Reply #580 on: March 05, 2021, 03:09:26 PM »
Why are you kids trying to make this a race thing? pretty dumb for sure. most the kids that skate for supreme including flowguys are POC. most of the store staff (atleast both NY stores) is hella diverse with black spanish and white people working. the warehouse is even more so

hell even palace NYC employs most black kids that can somehow make all that crazy gear look real good.

dudes like nak get hella hate here bc its definitely warranted. all he has to do is skate and not act like a baffoon on instaram. he cant do that.  not suprised if supreme/dill knows he next jereme.

hes obviously really good at skating, but he seems insufferable to deal with at any capacity.

free max b
FREE MAX B

alex

• Rep: 34
« Reply #581 on: March 05, 2021, 03:17:30 PM »
Yeah personally I don’t see this as a race thing. Any pro changing shoe sponsors this often would get scrutiny. I think the fact that we’re seeing kader develop into potentially one of the best young pros out there and find his own style along with where social media’s at right now just makes it easier for everyone to be aware of it and have an opinion. And he’s on supreme which I feel like draws more criticisms from people than other brands

And if you’re doing it because you’re a racist asshole, get fucked. It’s that simple!
Suns out, im going skating. chow

swanronson

• Rep: -27
« Reply #582 on: March 05, 2021, 04:25:17 PM »
random but do you think baker still goes by the “everyone gets paid the same” rule or do you think reynolds is paying some dudes extra at this point to keep them from jumping ship?

Doubt it. I think this may have been the deal with the original line up or baker 3 crew but not now. Dudes would get pretty salty if nuge was getting the same pay as Rowan or tfunk who constantly put footy out.

Theme For A Jackal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 106
« Reply #583 on: March 05, 2021, 05:02:18 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
he definitely got some advisement from Reynolds on how to play the negotiation game, knowing what you're worth.
[close]

Definitely reminds me of what Reynolds said about him getting on Vans... he just decided he wanted it and wore them and tagged the shit out of them on Instagram. Kader is doing the same thing only with two brands, probably gauging interest and how lucrative their deals would be.
[close]

He just tagged adidas in last post. Same strategy.

Yeah but he’s done the same with Nike is my point so it’s more he’s throwing it out to both and seeing what sticks

manysnakes

« Reply #584 on: March 05, 2021, 06:25:56 PM »
It seems that people don't understand the concept of sponsoring a kid you see potential in (usually they are crazy good already) with the point of them developing and becoming way better as years go by. Reynolds is hella good at this.

Neither here nor there, but Reynolds says he learned how to spot talent from Tony, who learned it from Stacy. Two legends there, who spotted some of the best skaters in the world when they were absolute nobodies

manysnakes

« Reply #585 on: March 05, 2021, 06:32:44 PM »
Why are you kids trying to make this a race thing? pretty dumb for sure. most the kids that skate for supreme including flowguys are POC. most of the store staff (atleast both NY stores) is hella diverse with black spanish and white people working. the warehouse is even more so

hell even palace NYC employs most black kids that can somehow make all that crazy gear look real good.

None of this is relevant to the opinion that black skaters get more criticism on the Slap forums

camel filters

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1311
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #586 on: March 05, 2021, 07:35:29 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I think Leo was the only skater to have quit the baker camp and had a successful career after, even winning soty the year after quitting. Their image is so strong that I could see no one else in the industry wanting to invest in rebranding a former baker rider.

Lenny the Fatface

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 330
« Reply #587 on: March 05, 2021, 09:17:03 PM »
Too many paragraphs to quote so I’m just going to fire from the hip.

The Tyshawn criticism felt more racist than the Kader criticism, but people are being very extra about the bidding war he’s in.

In general I think board company loyalty is more important than shoe company loyalty. No one is making real money from boards it’s more about branding and who you want to be around. The shoe game is just corporate bullshit so why not get the most money if you can.

I doubt he’s trying to Join FA, too many dudes on there now. Elijah also making shit wild corny over there, let’s not forget.

I see Cyrus Bennett’s name being thrown around as a “why aren’t people criticizing his white ass” candidate, and I have to disagree lol. Cyrus leaving 917 is a good thing, because he is a dookie graphic designer. Didn’t he go to Pratt? Shouldn’t his boards be much cooler? Jason Dill and Pontus Alv make much sicker graphics and shit without the debt lol.

Also for what it’s worth, Kader do look better in black/white adidas.

jigga42

• Rep: -2
« Reply #588 on: March 05, 2021, 09:57:13 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]
[close]

I don’t think that’s quite an accurate comparison.  Cyrus left two companies where he wasn’t being treated well.  We haven’t heard why Kader has switched his shoe sponsor twice.   I do agree that the obsession with this is a bit over the top.  Racially-motivated?  Probably, but I also see it as just typical “hate the shiny little kid” that Sheckler and Nyjah got when super young, but then again, I don’t care that much in the first place.  It’s the same piranha style bullying that comes up in every MJ, Koston, AO thread where a bunch of posters can’t wait to sink their teeth and repeat the same tired comments like xyz “couldn’t handle MJs ideas”

Nakel and Tyshawn both come across as  assholes and bullies.  Personality traits I don’t find endearing in anyone, particularly T-Funk who I vocally can’t stand.   

Antwuan I feel doesn’t get any recrimination on here, despite a history of terrible judgement and not doing anything worthy in skateboarding for about 15+ years.  Basically he’s a white Crail Tap rider which I certainly vocally lambast on here. 

Beatrice (like Theotis, TK) just surprises me personally about the high level of sponsorships they get for what I perceive as average skate ability.   I wonder about it, worry that their brands are just co-opting their blackness for the image, but ultimately don’t lose sleep over it because skateboarding isn’t 100% meritocracy and I’m not the target audience of these moves and not everything thing needs for me.

To say this about Theo is absolutely crazy haha

mareo

• Rep: -342
« Reply #589 on: March 05, 2021, 10:06:04 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]
[close]

[close]

Explain how

Quote from: I sniff my own butthole all the time
2nd vote would be for PJ. sometimes it is a fine command of the english language to say nothing and he extended that to skating. PJ's plan B part is the emperor's new clothes.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #590 on: March 05, 2021, 10:11:08 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]
[close]

[close]

Of course he is much better than TK and I don’t begrudge Theotis his riches, but it seems wild to me that someone like him, who’s fairly middle of the pack talent-wise for pro skaters, commands the money and sponsors he does.   He’s not a contest killer and he doesn’t put out tons of footage, but seems to be super popular for some reason.   

jigga42

• Rep: -2
« Reply #591 on: March 06, 2021, 05:15:09 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]
[close]

[close]

[close]

Of course he is much better than TK and I don’t begrudge Theotis his riches, but it seems wild to me that someone like him, who’s fairly middle of the pack talent-wise for pro skaters, commands the money and sponsors he does.   He’s not a contest killer and he doesn’t put out tons of footage, but seems to be super popular for some reason.

The man has had footage and coverage that span well over a decade. Believe it or not, he inspired a younger generation of skaters, and you even hear that in newer interviews. Although not the “best” he seems to be somebody brands can trust. The man is literally always repping his sponsors and putting out content. Even just when you hear people speak on the guy, nothing but high praise. So even though it may be shocking to you it’s really not shocking at all.

Swithflip

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -748
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #592 on: March 06, 2021, 05:36:18 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

100%

TK thread is the most racist and bullying topic. Mental health its not funny. But here they spell sarcasm all the time on the Tk situation.

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1430
  • daddy bought you a pony
« Reply #593 on: March 06, 2021, 05:39:14 AM »
Too many paragraphs to quote so I’m just going to fire from the hip.

The Tyshawn criticism felt more racist than the Kader criticism, but people are being very extra about the bidding war he’s in.

In general I think board company loyalty is more important than shoe company loyalty. No one is making real money from boards it’s more about branding and who you want to be around. The shoe game is just corporate bullshit so why not get the most money if you can.

I doubt he’s trying to Join FA, too many dudes on there now. Elijah also making shit wild corny over there, let’s not forget.

I see Cyrus Bennett’s name being thrown around as a “why aren’t people criticizing his white ass” candidate, and I have to disagree lol. Cyrus leaving 917 is a good thing, because he is a dookie graphic designer. Didn’t he go to Pratt? Shouldn’t his boards be much cooler? Jason Dill and Pontus Alv make much sicker graphics and shit without the debt lol.

Also for what it’s worth, Kader do look better in black/white adidas.

he's a industrial product designer if i remember correctly, no graphic design. he said he wants to go into making shoes possibly after skating.

pretty sure he claimed they weren't involved at all with the graphics and hated on them.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #594 on: March 06, 2021, 06:33:34 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

The man has had footage and coverage that span well over a decade. Believe it or not, he inspired a younger generation of skaters, and you even hear that in newer interviews. Although not the “best” he seems to be somebody brands can trust. The man is literally always repping his sponsors and putting out content. Even just when you hear people speak on the guy, nothing but high praise. So even though it may be shocking to you it’s really not shocking at all.

What are you talking about.  I literally never hear anyone talking about Theotis.  And he is far from always putting out “content”.   The skaters I do hear people talk about and who are putting out parts at a heavy rate aren’t driving around in bentleys.

Btw Wild to create an account just to defend/praise Theotis of all skaters.

Letsfilmavideo

• Rep: 16
« Reply #595 on: March 06, 2021, 07:12:28 AM »
Y’all finished? Or y’all done? - Birdman
I always got one of my boys holdin a jar of leak and a fat blunt, so as soon as i land the trick we gettin wet you know?

Croquet temper

• Rep: -35
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #596 on: March 06, 2021, 07:21:30 AM »
It’s easy to see Kader’s talent. A recent instaclip of him doing a nollie bs heel and a fs heel over a kicker gap:

A lot of unsponsored skaters could do that, but the way Kader us doing them(especially that fs heel) show that this is just the tip of the iceberg and he’s a natural skater. Just one example.

pizzafliptofakie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1966
« Reply #597 on: March 06, 2021, 08:34:05 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

It's still wild to me how worked up some people on here get over a young adult who skates for Baker smoking weed lol.

Allen.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 744
    • Cigarettes for Cardio avatar image
« Reply #598 on: March 06, 2021, 10:02:23 AM »
Y’all finished? Or y’all done? - Birdman
For someone w.no signature ur awfully hostile, & that is why I do this

NoComply180

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -461
  • Objectivity police
« Reply #599 on: March 06, 2021, 10:13:48 AM »
Also that Instagram line he tagged adidas in is very meh. All style no substance.

Him ah fall off building an bumboclot him legs