Author Topic: Lance Mountain on Racism?  (Read 26077 times)

PatrickSkateman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -226
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
Re: Lance Mountain on Racism?
« Reply #30 on: December 22, 2020, 08:22:03 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
The denialism in skating of Lance's personal worldview and politics is a longstanding feature of our culture because it's an uncomfortable truth.
[close]
Hearing a lot of "who cares" when having that attitude is what allows for hate speech and ignorance to flourish.
[close]

Also nonchalantly including racial slurs in an online community username while decrying hate speech...
[close]
Once again, I am black.
[close]

My bad, couldn’t see you behind the screen. Type away.
[close]
An easy mistake to make.

Not saying we should show up to his house with pitchforks and fire, but ignoring people with altright or sympathetic views to the altright is what led to it's rise. just talking to these people is a good start, unless they get violent and hateful. I live in a podunk town full of rednecks and neoliberals, but I've been able to get a few to open their minds a bit after v exhausting and year long interactions.

Judge a man by his actions. Lance has not said or done anything to harm anyone. Him being “alt-right” fails the beyond a reasonable doubt test.

Too much self-righteous pseudo-intellectualism going on here. 
2022 Slap Fantasy Football Champion

Lame_Nigga

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -3
  • Just a lame nigga who can't kickflip
« Reply #31 on: December 22, 2020, 08:30:38 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
The denialism in skating of Lance's personal worldview and politics is a longstanding feature of our culture because it's an uncomfortable truth.
[close]
Hearing a lot of "who cares" when having that attitude is what allows for hate speech and ignorance to flourish.
[close]

Also nonchalantly including racial slurs in an online community username while decrying hate speech...
[close]
Once again, I am black.
[close]

[close]
An easy mistake to make.

Not saying we should show up to his house with pitchforks and fire, but ignoring people with altright or sympathetic views to the altright is what led to it's rise. just talking to these people is a good start, unless they get violent and hateful. I live in a podunk town full of rednecks and neoliberals, but I've been able to get a few to open their minds a bit after v exhausting and year long interactions.
[close]

Judge a man by his actions. Lance has not said or done anything to harm anyone. Him being “alt-right” fails the beyond a reasonable doubt test.

I'll judge a man by his beliefs as well. Met too many racists in my life who will chat me up like we're good friends and then slide in things like "I don't believe in race mixing" or "you're one of the good ones" to think only someone who does racist actions are the only ones to be wary of. If someone is gonna be racist at least have the nuts to admit it

But yeah sure, I'm being self righteous and pseudo-intellectual by saying we should watch out for people who may be leaning that way.

Atiba Applebum

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 246
« Reply #32 on: December 22, 2020, 08:34:05 AM »
If we hate this thread, let’s stop bumping it

Billy Bitchcakes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 487
  • Q U I T E S T Y L I S H
« Reply #33 on: December 22, 2020, 08:34:20 AM »
The differences in responses to these kind of threads depending on how respected the subject's skateboarding is is kinda sad
During sex to prevent myself from ejaculating I think about Osama Bin Laden running my dick through a sewing machine.

cky enthusiast

« Reply #34 on: December 22, 2020, 08:56:40 AM »
it’s hard to reason with people who literally believe in an entirely different reality from your own. idk how schopenhauer would have felt about it

lexington

• Rep: -13
« Reply #35 on: December 22, 2020, 09:18:31 AM »
What kind of simpleton calls someone a racist for following a conservative news outlet? Sure, Lance could be a conservative in some of his views. Most Christians have been tarred and feathered by the left for so long that it wouldn't be a surprise. Conservatism is very different from racism, and the people who have told you they are one and the same are pulling the wool over your eyes. Wake up wokesters.

heckler

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 475
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #36 on: December 22, 2020, 09:19:05 AM »
The differences in responses to these kind of threads depending on how respected the subject's skateboarding is is kinda sad
Ha SLAP's resident libtard and NY pro cocksucker.

CanadianBacon

• Rep: -72
« Reply #37 on: December 22, 2020, 09:20:05 AM »
It's hard to picture Lance Mountain hating anyone.

Frank and Fred

« Reply #38 on: December 22, 2020, 09:22:59 AM »
I read Charles Bukowski but I respect women.

ChuckRamone

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 536
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #39 on: December 22, 2020, 09:34:58 AM »
The thread title is obvious clickbait but it kinda sucks that Breitbart seems to be one of the only non-skating-related accounts he follows. And Breitbart is not even a regular conservative news outlet but a far-right one.

Hellride

• Rep: -20
  • https://youtu.be/UBMUk3FnEQs
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #40 on: December 22, 2020, 10:05:59 AM »
Would have thought a old man would have right leaning views

professional

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 127
« Reply #41 on: December 22, 2020, 10:06:41 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Nailed it. Skateboard industry exceptionalism at its finest while displaying peoples' lack of desire to confront real, hard issues because "dude rips" or "dude's a lej."

cool spot

• Rep: 28
« Reply #42 on: December 22, 2020, 10:08:49 AM »
Most Christians have been tarred and feathered by the left for so long that it wouldn't be a surprise.

Lol.

yeah, we might finally win the war on christmas this year.

sk8boardrealist

• Rep: -5
« Reply #43 on: December 22, 2020, 10:18:22 AM »
I read Charles Bukowski but I respect women.

Bukowski sucks balls. I was planning to burn my bukowski books and the sammy barger autobiography (possibly the worst book known to man).

Breitbart is fucked and sucks ass. Don't use the Pete Townshend excuse that he's doing research. He is balls deep in their ideology's and they are at least partially align with his christian values.

FlailingArms

• Rep: -34
« Reply #44 on: December 22, 2020, 10:28:20 AM »
Leftists have such a twisted world view. Even one the the nicest most rad dudes isn't safe from a racist witch hunt.

PatrickSkateman

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #45 on: December 22, 2020, 10:30:38 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

[close]
Once again, I am black.
[close]

[close]
An easy mistake to make.

[close]

[close]
I'll judge a man by his beliefs as well. Met too many racists in my life who will chat me up like we're good friends and then slide in things like "I don't believe in race mixing" or "you're one of the good ones" to think only someone who does racist actions are the only ones to be wary of. If someone is gonna be racist at least have the nuts to admit it

But yeah sure, I'm being self righteous and pseudo-intellectual by saying we should watch out for people who may be leaning that way.

Definitely self-righteous. Maybe pseudo-intellectual is too big a word for you.

Circaskater420

• Rep: -76
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #46 on: December 22, 2020, 10:42:27 AM »
Ok so who’s going to grow some balls and ask him directly to get a definitive answer?  If he’s an actual alt right conservative then I’m all for cancelling him but with the information provided in this thread all we know is that he follows Brietbart.  All speculation until we get some real answers

Lame_Nigga

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -3
  • Just a lame nigga who can't kickflip
« Reply #47 on: December 22, 2020, 10:44:15 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

[close]
Once again, I am black.
[close]

[close]
An easy mistake to make.

[close]

[close]

[close]

Oh my bad, didn't know my life experiences as a black guy in a town with civil war monuments and a newspaper that endorsed Trump have led me to think like this. Not saying dude is gonna grab some Tiki Torches and call for fascism, but maybe he has some thoughts and beliefs that should be discussed.

AxionCityStars

• Rep: -27
« Reply #48 on: December 22, 2020, 10:46:51 AM »
Although I don't think lance is a racist.. it is a funny coincidence that he rides for Flip who blatantly uses the iron cross logo and the term HKD which stands for Hate Kill Destroy.

Also it's funny that nobody says shit about Elijah Berle and Grant Taylor proudly displaying confederate flags in their homes.

EdLawndale

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1127
    • My Wife avatar image
« Reply #49 on: December 22, 2020, 10:55:08 AM »
Did Breitbart change into something more nefarious or something over the last 8 years or so?  Or did they attract a new, more racist base of followers? I'm asking honestly as I haven't kept up with it since my dad died...

My late conservative father used to be aware of and visit their website around 2010. And my father wasn't really racist. He was just an old white guy who didn't understand why I liked Jennifer Lopez's big booty and who turned off my Tupac mixtapes when we were driving on road trips (though one time I put on some instrumentals and caught him nodding his head).

He listened to Cream and the Doors and America and wore socks under his birkenstock sandles. He called weed "dope". He thought Bernie Mac was funny.  He never used any racial slurs.

Despite him going to Breitbart, I don't think my father was a racist...just insulated in his white conservativeness. So I guess unless I hear about Lance Mountain pulling any racist shit, I'll just give him the benefit of the doubt.

The last thing I remember about the Breitbart website was they were left with a lot of egg on their face after the Shirley Sherrod tape, then the Breitbart guy died, then I heard that Steve Bannon guy took over.
"Was just about to say, wtf is up with this EdLawndale guy?"

HotnSpicyMcChicken

• Rep: -42
« Reply #50 on: December 22, 2020, 11:18:20 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

Nailed it. Skateboard industry exceptionalism at its finest while displaying peoples' lack of desire to confront real, hard issues because "dude rips" or "dude's a lej."

Bingo.

HotnSpicyMcChicken

« Reply #51 on: December 22, 2020, 11:26:59 AM »
Did Breitbart change into something more nefarious or something over the last 8 years or so?  Or did they attract a new, more racist base of followers? I'm asking honestly as I haven't kept up with it since my dad died...

My late conservative father used to be aware of and visit their website around 2010. And my father wasn't really racist. He was just an old white guy who didn't understand why I liked Jennifer Lopez's big booty and who turned off my Tupac mixtapes when we were driving on road trips (though one time I put on some instrumentals and caught him nodding his head).

He listened to Cream and the Doors and America and wore socks under his birkenstock sandles. He called weed "dope". He thought Bernie Mac was funny.  He never used any racial slurs.

Despite him going to Breitbart, I don't think my father was a racist...just insulated in his white conservativeness. So I guess unless I hear about Lance Mountain pulling any racist shit, I'll just give him the benefit of the doubt.

The last thing I remember about the Breitbart website was they were left with a lot of egg on their face after the Shirley Sherrod tape, then the Breitbart guy died, then I heard that Steve Bannon guy took over.

Idk what the site used to be like a decade ago, but it is now responsible for journalism that is like a more conspiracy-based version of Fox News, regularly peddling Q-adjacent, if not straight up Q conspiracies, as well as a slew of generally outright racist and dangerous lies in the form of "articles". Think Fox News, but for people who openly identify as white supremacists. In no way is it a legitimate news source, and this is obvious to anyone who is media-literate.

urbneathme

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 286
« Reply #52 on: December 22, 2020, 11:48:19 AM »
Leftists have such a twisted world view. Even one the the nicest most rad dudes isn't safe from a racist witch hunt.
you guys buddies?

SatanicPanic

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 205
« Reply #53 on: December 22, 2020, 11:58:26 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

[close]
Once again, I am black.
[close]

[close]
An easy mistake to make.

[close]

[close]

[close]

Pseudo-intellectual is obviously too big of a word for you because you’re using it wrong.

SatanicPanic

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #54 on: December 22, 2020, 12:02:18 PM »
I wouldn’t be surprised but I don’t think I ever contribute to his salary - don’t follow him on Instagram, don’t buy his boards- so whatever.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 246
« Reply #55 on: December 22, 2020, 12:04:56 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

[close]

Bingo.

What the fuck are you guys even talking about.  There’s a huuuge gulf between someone saying some borderline shit and someone following a right wing news source.   As far as I know, LM has never acted or spoken in a way that would call his character int question.   Tarring everyone who follows that site as a racist/bigot/whatever sets a very dangerous and divisive precedent

sk8boardrealist

• Rep: -5
« Reply #56 on: December 22, 2020, 12:14:59 PM »

"Canada to Invest $40m Into ‘Home Ownership Opportunities’ for Black People Only"

I have not really been on their site often but you'd be quick to notice they often use inflammatory headlines that have a commanding tone. In a sense, that's news for you, especially in the age of clicks and web traffic. Trying to grab the reader has gotten more and more difficult, so click bait titles are becoming commonplace. Taking one look at that headline though...it sounds at once accusatory, black people are seeking preferential treatment, and also like a call to arms against an injustice.

This isn't every article but it does shape Brietbart's identity a bit. If someone just wants un-bias sports, entertainment, food etc, you'd probably look to other publications. I can't see why someone would read Brietbart, if not primarily for their political output and their supplementary content second.

Edit: Checked out the instagram and it's purely politics

PatrickSkateman

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #57 on: December 22, 2020, 12:19:51 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

[close]
Once again, I am black.
[close]

[close]
An easy mistake to make.

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]
Pseudo-intellectual is obviously too big of a word for you because you’re using it wrong.

I’ll be more mindful of my hyphen usage moving forward. 😆

HotnSpicyMcChicken

« Reply #58 on: December 22, 2020, 12:25:50 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

[close]

Bingo.
[close]

What the fuck are you guys even talking about.  There’s a huuuge gulf between someone saying some borderline shit and someone following a right wing news source.   As far as I know, LM has never acted or spoken in a way that would call his character int question.   Tarring everyone who follows that site as a racist/bigot/whatever sets a very dangerous and divisive precedent

I'm not accusing Lance of being racist. I do not believe following a far-right news source on instagram automatically makes someone such. I was agreeing with the general sentiment that older heads with industry cred get a pass to be racist kooks when they are outed as such. I apologize for the confusion. If Lance follows and believes Breitbart in earnest, it's more likely due to a lack of intellect as opposed to aggressive bigotry. Then again, Breitbart really only appeals to people with bigoted worldviews, so either way, it's not a good look in the very least.

EDIT: Actually, if anyone follows Breitbart in earnest, it's most likely that they have a bigoted outlook. I have no idea if Lance even reads the shit, maybe he's just trying to keep up with the far-right while not subscribing to their ideology. If he is into it, on the other hand, and gets most of his opinions from there, that's a damning revelation. This is all speculation, but usually where there's smoke, there's fire.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2020, 12:37:34 PM by HotnSpicyMcChicken »

SatanicPanic

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #59 on: December 22, 2020, 12:28:16 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

[close]
Once again, I am black.
[close]

[close]
An easy mistake to make.

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]
[close]

I’ll be more mindful of my hyphen usage moving forward. 😆
That’s not what I meant. Nothing the person you responded to came off as pretend intellectual.

I’ve noticed a lot of the right uses this term and it seems like your way of saying that you can’t admit someone has a point.