Author Topic: 1992-93 setups, vintage or modern to skate.  (Read 8872 times)

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 974
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Re: 1992-93 setups, vintage or modern to skate.
« Reply #30 on: January 08, 2021, 07:27:37 PM »
I'm probably in the minority on this but I love 14" wb

No I think a lot more people are finding that a shorter wheelbase is easier to flip and move.

A couple of my friends who always just rode normal boards of the 8.25 to 8.75 blanks, which are 14.38 to 14.5 wb, but are running short of new wood (shipping delays and no fresh wood), so they drilled down some old boards just to see what they were like, going in from the tail to get a second life out of them. They loved them much more than the standard wheelbase that came on them.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

FUBAR

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 231
« Reply #31 on: January 08, 2021, 08:06:54 PM »
I actually had both those Real decks, the swap meet in san diego had a place that sold em cheap. I remember them being super flimsy and didnt last long. We didnt know they were Real decks...they werent marked besides the graphics and we were too dumb to realize who the pros were. I think they were slicks but I could be wrong.

abgrooms

• Rep: 3
« Reply #32 on: January 08, 2021, 08:57:54 PM »
Perhaps the shorter wheel base of the early 90's had a lot to do with keeping those flat boards as stiff as possible.

Skateboards function in fractions... that relatively shorter wheel base on flat decks was probably necessary to keep some rigidity between the trucks.

As concave increased, so did board stiffness. Maybe the increased wheel base was a result of that?

With modern concave, longer wheel bases can be explored without compromise? I'm just spit balling...

« Last Edit: January 08, 2021, 09:13:25 PM by abgrooms »

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #33 on: January 09, 2021, 01:28:24 AM »
I actually had both those Real decks, the swap meet in san diego had a place that sold em cheap. I remember them being super flimsy and didnt last long. We didnt know they were Real decks...they werent marked besides the graphics and we were too dumb to realize who the pros were. I think they were slicks but I could be wrong.

Yes they were slicks in those four dress up graphics - you can scroll right (arrow in the middle) to see the other ones from that time too.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 76
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #34 on: January 09, 2021, 02:21:10 AM »
I'm probably in the minority on this but I love 14" wb
no I love it too, I think I feel most comfortable in and around that size because I probably learnt the majority of my tricks on boards shaped like this.

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

mj23

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 221
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #35 on: January 09, 2021, 09:38:37 AM »
I’ve been watching the egg/football revival for a while now and just not really seeing the appeal...
Then I saw a friend post some clips from a little indoor flat bar/bank/box course he set up for Covid winter, and it clicked. I had visions of OG World Park footage and how much sense it makes to fling tiny wheels around in that kind of context. Still not sure how anyone rides this stuff out in the wild, but that’s just me. The curiosity is growing...

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #36 on: January 09, 2021, 03:37:12 PM »
I’ve been watching the egg/football revival for a while now and just not really seeing the appeal...
Then I saw a friend post some clips from a little indoor flat bar/bank/box course he set up for Covid winter, and it clicked. I had visions of OG World Park footage and how much sense it makes to fling tiny wheels around in that kind of context. Still not sure how anyone rides this stuff out in the wild, but that’s just me. The curiosity is growing...

I imagine that back leg twice the size of the front leg from pushing ten times as much to get from one end of a spot to the other, but even on normal setups, the smaller wheels make tech tricks so much easier than bigger wheels, and that is my worn down Spitfires to around 50mm compared to 56mm when new, so on 40mm or less, there is some serious pumping on ramp or lots of extra pushes on flat.

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1094
« Reply #37 on: January 09, 2021, 08:42:09 PM »
A good part of my setup fuckery comes from needing to skate at least 54 mm wheels, do to rough terrain. Live in a crusty area. Bigger wheels means no more lo trucks, and then the board needs to be wider if the wheels are bigger, and then....I can’t flip this motherfucker and that’s all I have left soooooo. Yeah.

On topic, I skated before this era, and then started again in 93-94, but just missed the cool shaped boards. Everything was kinda small and boring. It’s cool to see companies and skaters bring this type of thing back.

Nth syd bear

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 300
« Reply #38 on: January 10, 2021, 04:09:39 AM »
https://www.instagram.com/p/CJxzNO9FUt8/?igshid=10iduo1rz6trw
Check out all those dimensions; not a wheelbase over 14.25!!!

I really like this thread..     I remember that Real series anyway

2 things that Sluggo cone Board has a wb of 13.625 thats nuts..

The last board I assume that's a typo in the catalogue and n meant to say Salman Stripes in the description ?

If real reissued the Thiebaud bunny graphic I'd get in a heart beat :)

GardenSkater77

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1035
« Reply #39 on: January 24, 2021, 04:12:55 PM »
Inspiration...

8.75 x 32.25

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #40 on: January 25, 2021, 06:24:00 AM »
I wasn't skating during this era (started in 1996) but I've always had a fascination with these setups. While I'm not quite skating anything as drastic, lately I keep coming back to a 9" egg/football, 8.75" Trucks, and like 50mm wheels (have always skated 50s). I mostly skate curbs and flat and this sort of thing feels super functional and for whatever makes me take things a little less seriously. Can't get down with the sub-50 wheels though. Even in a 50/51mm, F4s feel nice and functional.

Also, re: the wheelbase thing...I was skating a Girl Couch shape and a similar Deathwish, both with 13.875 WB and it felt fine even though I am well over 6'. Both had a lot of flat on the nose, so they didn't feel short as far as overall surface goes. I also skate pretty slow, so IDK.

GardenSkater77

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1035
« Reply #41 on: January 25, 2021, 10:07:35 AM »
I wasn't skating during this era (started in 1996) but I've always had a fascination with these setups. While I'm not quite skating anything as drastic, lately I keep coming back to a 9" egg/football, 8.75" Trucks, and like 50mm wheels (have always skated 50s). I mostly skate curbs and flat and this sort of thing feels super functional and for whatever makes me take things a little less seriously. Can't get down with the sub-50 wheels though. Even in a 50/51mm, F4s feel nice and functional.

Also, re: the wheelbase thing...I was skating a Girl Couch shape and a similar Deathwish, both with 13.875 WB and it felt fine even though I am well over 6'. Both had a lot of flat on the nose, so they didn't feel short as far as overall surface goes. I also skate pretty slow, so IDK.

Duuuuuuuude. You gotta try 42 mm wheels. You are almost there. 50 mm wheels were huuuge in 92’. You would have been laughed off the school yard. We were debating 38 mm vs 42 mm.

I’m telling you, if you find a nice slick 6 inch high curb there is nothing better than 42 mm wheels on an egg/football shape. It’s like jibbing in snowboarding. I used to spend hours doing noselide to crooked grind to nose slide. The wheels allow you to just shift into k-grind or 180 nose grind so easily. Also, blunts slide more easily due to less wheel contact.

It’s even more rad with airwalk ones and New Deal Big Deal Pants—both of which you can purchase today.

If I had a nice nose slide curb on a smooth ground I’d have a set of Boardy Cakes in the cart right now but I am still in search of that perfect curb.

It’s up to you but I think you know what the right thing to do is.

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #42 on: January 25, 2021, 01:21:13 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Duuuuuuuude. You gotta try 42 mm wheels. You are almost there. 50 mm wheels were huuuge in 92’. You would have been laughed off the school yard. We were debating 38 mm vs 42 mm.

I’m telling you, if you find a nice slick 6 inch high curb there is nothing better than 42 mm wheels on an egg/football shape. It’s like jibbing in snowboarding. I used to spend hours doing noselide to crooked grind to nose slide. The wheels allow you to just shift into k-grind or 180 nose grind so easily. Also, blunts slide more easily due to less wheel contact.

It’s even more rad with airwalk ones and New Deal Big Deal Pants—both of which you can purchase today.

If I had a nice nose slide curb on a smooth ground I’d have a set of Boardy Cakes in the cart right now but I am still in search of that perfect curb.

It’s up to you but I think you know what the right thing to do is.

Nah, the ground here sucks. I'll skate some 50mm F4s worn down to 45 but I'm not going to go down that rabbit hole. I once ruptured my right triceps and had to have it grafted back after hitting a stop rock, so while I am down to tempt fate I am not trying to beg it to fuck me.

Tempting as that kind of curb dancing may be.

Frank and Fred

« Reply #43 on: January 25, 2021, 01:25:20 PM »
I'm setting up an early 90s rig to relearn some flip tricks. (I learned all mine in BPSW era). I have a Creature 8.8 (14" WB) and Stage 8 146s ready to go. I could not decide on wheels but I vowed to myself in the mid 90s, I'd never go below 50mm ever again. In fact I still remember walking into Church of Skatan in Santa Barbara and finding some 55mms and leaping for joy. So I just ordered some 50mm Formula Four Lil Smokies.... not quite period correct but I look forward to some barely rolling parking lot sessions this Spring....

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #44 on: January 25, 2021, 01:40:35 PM »
I'm setting up an early 90s rig to relearn some flip tricks. (I learned all mine in BPSW era). I have a Creature 8.8 (14" WB) and Stage 8 146s ready to go. I could not decide on wheels but I vowed to myself in the mid 90s, I'd never go below 50mm ever again. In fact I still remember walking into Church of Skatan in Santa Barbara and finding some 55mms and leaping for joy. So I just ordered some 50mm Formula Four Lil Smokies.... not quite period correct but I look forward to some barely rolling parking lot sessions this Spring....

I’m in some dumb shit and looking for old stage indys rn. Stage 7-10. What’s the fave and why?

Frank and Fred

« Reply #45 on: January 25, 2021, 02:08:59 PM »
I usually skate Thunder or Ace but if some Stage 7 or 8s come my way.... I'm down.

Pros: drilled with both hole patterns, still have the pre-stage 9 magic turn, cool sizes, can upgrade with Krux Downlow KP without all the epoxy mes, Metal grinds amazingly well. Long life.
Cons: heavy, potential axle slip.

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #46 on: January 25, 2021, 02:27:19 PM »
I usually skate Thunder or Ace but if some Stage 7 or 8s come my way.... I'm down.

Pros: drilled with both hole patterns, still have the pre-stage 9 magic turn, cool sizes, can upgrade with Krux Downlow KP without all the epoxy mes, Metal grinds amazingly well. Long life.
Cons: heavy, potential axle slip.

Short of spending way too much via eBay, I haven’t figured out a way to get any.
I remember the slip.
I didn’t hate 10s. Can’t remember 9s.
Alternatives would be, as in closest, possibly the mids?

abgrooms

« Reply #47 on: February 01, 2021, 02:21:34 PM »
Got some more updates.

Still skating the soft boiled egg, absolutely in love with the setup.
I've ditched the OG boady cakes 42mm after a handfull of sessions. They were already down to 37mm and horribly flat spotted. They flat spot much to easy IMO, to be a wheel I can rely on.

I switch to a set of SML. 40mm "Really small wheels" They are much harder, and I havent flat spotted them yet, their urethane seems to be on point with what you'd expect.

I even put on some bronson ceramics to keep the modern feel going. All together with the titanium trucks and small wheels... the board is incredibly light, its the first thing anyone mentions when I hand it to them.

« Last Edit: February 01, 2021, 02:49:40 PM by abgrooms »

abgrooms

« Reply #48 on: February 01, 2021, 02:42:25 PM »
I actually picked up a second set of SML. wheels to go with this new complete. A bit more retro than the soft boiled egg.

Real, James Kelch "Flyer" Slick. 8.7
Venture, V-Light 5.8 trucks (8.5" axle)
SML. wheels 40mm
Diamond Phillips Hardware
Bones Swiss Bearings
Mob Griptape

It's going to get skated, but not until the Soft Boiled egg is cooked.

I do love looking at it... era correct proportions, and something about that slick matte finish flyer graphic.

« Last Edit: February 01, 2021, 03:16:07 PM by abgrooms »

GBLange

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 274
« Reply #49 on: August 16, 2021, 05:43:49 PM »
blessed to be able to skate during the egg/football deck and small wheel era. the smallest wheels i've ever rode was 39mm wheels that glows in the dark back in 1992. it's great that more board companies are making the egg/football shape again. i hv bout 10 modern egg/football egg board on ice right now. currently riding the Quasi 9" Pool Skater deck.

FUBAR

• Rep: 231
« Reply #50 on: August 16, 2021, 06:06:37 PM »
Blind put out that 8.1 x 31.6 Tim Gavin reissue. It’s a slick. I have not set it up yet, but I think I am going to put some 40-something mm wheels on it. It may be my wintertime basement session deck.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 939
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
« Reply #51 on: August 17, 2021, 07:16:33 PM »
Expand Quote
How much do you recall from that time and what have you been skating since?
[close]

Today I bounce between a 8.25 and 8.125 deck on 8.25" trucks, wheels never larger than 52mm.

I've boxed myself into this setup space where I never branch out and experience anything new. This got me thinking... How I even got to this setup in the first place, personal preference aside.

Pretty much me.

I chalk it up to being ATV. I can skate anything (some things better than others). Ditches, bowls, rails, ramps, ledges, flat, parks curbs, gaps, stairs, etc. and an 8.25 with 8.25" trucks and 52 (or 53) can handle anything you throw at it (obviously bigger wheels would help with ramps and bowls). It's the biggest of the small boards and smallest of the big ones.

I branch out tho, try shit for the fun of it but always come back to the above.

TheSickness

• Rep: 14
« Reply #52 on: October 13, 2021, 07:03:01 PM »
Wow, that Tommy Guerrero board on the left was my first real skateboard...(no phn intended)
Great to see this!!!

https://www.instagram.com/p/CJxzNO9FUt8/?igshid=10iduo1rz6trw
Check out all those dimensions; not a wheelbase over 14.25!!!

TheSickness

• Rep: 14
« Reply #53 on: April 07, 2022, 08:37:50 AM »
Inspiration...

8.75 x 32.25

I had that board back in the day - I loved that shape, and would buy that re-issue in a hot second if possible! Also had the Tommy Guerrero Elvis - Real board someone posted earlier in this thread - So rad to see these gems again.  :)

Frank and Fred

« Reply #54 on: April 07, 2022, 08:40:11 AM »
Ed made that era look good. I had that T-Shirt! never really understood what it meant and felt weird wearing it.

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #55 on: April 07, 2022, 08:53:47 AM »
Ed made that era look good. I had that T-Shirt! never really understood what it meant and felt weird wearing it.

His outfit and setup too sick. Funny to me that he always looked like someone’s dad, even when he was younger.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1568
« Reply #56 on: April 07, 2022, 09:03:37 AM »
It wasn’t easy being Ed for at least 5 years too…..

That’s a company that I wish ran more heritage stuff….so many good graphics….

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #57 on: April 07, 2022, 09:20:35 AM »
That’s for sure on the heritage stuff. The new stuff seems like it’s Ed’s AI generated. Free Ed.
Krooked had a bit of this but is a little better imo.
On the positive side, both have amazing artwork in their past

Frank and Fred

« Reply #58 on: April 07, 2022, 10:12:51 AM »
Closest I've come to a 92-93 set up since those days but 50mm was the smallest wheel I could bring myself to buy.

Watson

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2202
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #59 on: April 07, 2022, 06:50:33 PM »
Last fall I set up this 8.75 Accidental Gun Death slick reissue with some SML 40mms and some Thunder 149s I had sitting around. (I didn't nerd out on the trucks or really anything. Just tried to get a period specific reissue on some small wheels.)

I started skating in 94' so boards were kind of out of this phase already. The board had basically no concave which made it hard to do get used to but it was fun to skate. Wouldn't want to skate it as my regular board but I'll definitely have a few more sessions with it for fun.

Here's a little video I made of my session:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CUVun99pISZ/