Author Topic: unpopular opinions thread - music edition  (Read 24589 times)

Frank

• Mods
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1429
  • daddy bought you a pony
Re: unpopular opinions thread - music edition
« Reply #60 on: December 29, 2020, 04:10:46 AM »
og death(the black punk band) is great.

these guys are super sick, too, and no one seems to know them

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JdMcH9mb2Hk

i like some mac de marco songs, but overall it's super boring to me.

pizzafliptofakie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1963
« Reply #61 on: December 29, 2020, 06:08:14 AM »
Lemmy did a song with Pure Hell. Very sick

https://youtu.be/Rcjf8tZMFOI

Ilya Oblomov

• Rep: 14
« Reply #62 on: December 29, 2020, 07:07:55 AM »
Expand Quote
Shannon and the Clams.
[close]
You have to admit for what they're trying to do is admirable......  They got the right fit but I mean really is it that good NO not really it's about average for a 60's inspired doowop band.

I like most of what they put out and their live shows have an amazing, fun enery. I think this is the only show I have ever been to where I was dancing and did not feel self concious at all.

LordManHammer

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -324
  • (0_o) whatever dog you probably suck at it
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #63 on: December 29, 2020, 07:57:07 AM »
People only like Death the punk band because of a fucking video documentary. Clearly no one cared for them when they were making music. And Ishod probably mixed them up with Chuck’s because didn’t he skate to politicians in my eyes?

As far as bad music, does anyone else on the board fuck with Anal Cunt or any brutal slam like Cephalotrispy?

Fugazi, minor threat, and Ian suck and the only cool shit he did was put out all those flex your head tapes.

Can’t stand indie shit like Mac demaco, goth babe, beach house but I love R.E.M for some reason.
See I am that dork that did like Anal Cunt for the wrong reasons and yeah the songs are awful with some dick and fart joke humor they're admittedly kinda funny regardless of hurting anyone's feelings.  I mean you have no friends and you look adopted and various other songs that were offensive to mention.

I like slam and other brutal death metallllllllll White Chapel are some of my friends from Nashville and they've always let me in their shows anytime I see them.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2020, 08:07:54 AM by El Fapinator »
Dueces Bitch's

pizzafliptofakie

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #64 on: December 29, 2020, 08:03:58 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I really fucking hate Dinosaur Jr and I never want to hear them in a skate video ever again.
[close]

blasphemy
[close]
I saw em live and J Mascis could barely play because he was “so ripped on Denver weed” so yeah fuck dinosaur too

J Mascis is straight edge lol

Deputy Wendell

« Reply #65 on: December 29, 2020, 08:17:11 AM »
i'm not sure where this falls in on the opinion barometer, but early to mid-90s "independent-label" music was one of the best periods for music in the past 50 years--so many splendid labels like Simple Machines, early Sub-Pop, K Records, Touch and Go, Slumberland, Quarterstick, etc....i know that this all was kind of reduced into a shitty genre known as "indie," but there was so much creativity in the early 1990s and it was one of the best times to go to shows in my near 50 years...

i could go on and on but, here's just a small handful of favorites:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q_NKtGTstVw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rKAwNOhZabM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yJRyGZJzEuI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gMJT1U4n9Zk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ALVbPqIYSZ4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vK7NwEwdfww

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KEKYWpExqrE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FbI6O6OKFqE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eDX6K9bd0tw
« Last Edit: December 29, 2020, 08:25:37 AM by Deputy Wendell »

Willie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 303
« Reply #66 on: December 29, 2020, 08:55:40 AM »
Expand Quote
People only like Death the punk band because of a fucking video documentary. Clearly no one cared for them when they were making music. And Ishod probably mixed them up with Chuck’s because didn’t he skate to politicians in my eyes?

As far as bad music, does anyone else on the board fuck with Anal Cunt or any brutal slam like Cephalotrispy?

Fugazi, minor threat, and Ian suck and the only cool shit he did was put out all those flex your head tapes.

Can’t stand indie shit like Mac demaco, goth babe, beach house but I love R.E.M for some reason.
[close]
See I am that dork that did like Anal Cunt for the wrong reasons and yeah the songs are awful with some dick and fart joke humor they're admittedly kinda funny regardless of hurting anyone's feelings.  I mean you have no friends and you look adopted and various other songs that were offensive to mention.

I like slam and other brutal death metallllllllll White Chapel are some of my friends from Nashville and they've always let me in their shows anytime I see them.

“The guy from Anal Cunt died in an escalator accident” sounds like it could have been one of their songs.

LordManHammer

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #67 on: December 29, 2020, 09:24:15 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

“The guy from Anal Cunt died in an escalator accident” sounds like it could have been one of their songs.
HAHAHAHAHAHA totally I mean it would be how he would've wanted it. 

My band sucks spit on me........

Dueces Bitch's

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
« Reply #68 on: December 29, 2020, 02:26:30 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

song names anal cunt would use could be its own thread

Youoverthere

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 166
« Reply #69 on: December 29, 2020, 02:54:11 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I really fucking hate Dinosaur Jr and I never want to hear them in a skate video ever again.
[close]

blasphemy
[close]
I saw em live and J Mascis could barely play because he was “so ripped on Denver weed” so yeah fuck dinosaur too
[close]

so you’re telling me he made a stupid weed joke then played one of the worst sets of my life... completely sober.

it must be crazy when chico sells you something and the tables switch from "give me my money chico" to "giving my money to chico"

Freelancevagrant

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1556
« Reply #70 on: December 29, 2020, 02:59:34 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

blasphemy
[close]
[close]

[close]
so you’re telling me he made a stupid weed joke then played one of the worst sets of my life... completely sober.

This incident has clearly left you with a deep wound.
Well I have like 9 Andy Anderson dated flight decks.

pizzafliptofakie

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #71 on: December 29, 2020, 03:00:23 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

blasphemy
[close]
[close]

[close]

Apparently so.

brycickle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 153
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #72 on: December 29, 2020, 03:29:22 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

You and the D00D have turned this thread into a horrible head-on-collision between a short bus full of regular kids and a van full of paraplegics.

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
« Reply #73 on: December 29, 2020, 03:30:49 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

blasphemy
[close]
[close]

[close]
[close]

hehe

i saw dinosaur jr live a few years ago, and it seemed like they played good, but the sound at the venue was atrocious and they became increasingly bummed as the set went on. also some weird support band that wasn't bad on its own but didn't fit dinosaur jr at all. some sort of art pop or something. no guitars.

LordManHammer

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #74 on: December 29, 2020, 06:14:18 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

song names anal cunt would use could be its own thread
Totally let's do this.
https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=114688.0
« Last Edit: December 29, 2020, 06:34:05 PM by El Fapinator »
Dueces Bitch's

Youoverthere

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #75 on: December 29, 2020, 08:47:36 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

blasphemy
[close]
[close]

[close]
[close]

aha I see what you did there!

it must be crazy when chico sells you something and the tables switch from "give me my money chico" to "giving my money to chico"

Grind King Rims

« Reply #76 on: December 30, 2020, 12:50:11 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

blasphemy
[close]
[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]
aha I see what you did there!

I saw it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YO3fiKvRTxk

Croquet temper

• Rep: -35
« Reply #77 on: January 01, 2021, 05:32:05 AM »
The Mars Volta’s De-Loused In The Comatorium is a unique slam dunk of a masterpiece and easily one of the best albums of the 2000’s.

Boards Of Canada’s last album, Tomorrow’s Harvest sucks absolute balls. Completely dull and flavorless.

Radiohead debuts a lot of songs live that have a much better arrangement than the album version. Videotape being one of the biggest examples.

Glue Reed

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 159
« Reply #78 on: January 01, 2021, 07:34:05 AM »
in regards to a few of the things I've read here:

Correct on Suicidal Tendencies... they've basically managed a 40 year career due to their image.  From what I've read, that's all due to Glenn E Friedman, who was their original manager, telling them to ditch their socal hardcore look and go for Venice cholo.  They owe him big if that's true.

Repulsion is hands down the greatest American metal band (Slayer is close).  I remember hearing them for the first time and it blew my mind... exactly what I love about metal mixed with exactly what is awesome about hardcore (without being a crossover band).  If I had a time machine this would be one of my stops:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i-fW-OBahkY&t=999s

That being said, all that American Thrash from the 80's has dated very, very poorly.  Metallica's "Kill 'Em All" and Exodus' "Bonded By Blood" are pretty much the only thing that holds up, the rest is so boring and unenergetic. I was in Ameoba once and they were playing Metallica 'Justice for All' (my favorite tape when I was a kid) and what sluggish, boring-ass album.   It sounds like a whole album full of the slow breakdown parts of songs without any of the energetic fast parts.  D.R.I. should've called it quits after the Dirty Rotten EP.  Slayer is the only band who still sounds good (up to Seasons).

Country music, at least artistically, isn't nearly as conservative as people think it is.  I mean the two biggest living icons in Country are extremely left.  Also, props to whomever posted Colter Wall, I really dig that guys music.

All that NYHC and Youthcrew stuff (and "90's hardcore") absolutely sucks.  Seems like there's been a resurgence in the last few years too.  I'd say just about everything from the Cro-Mags on... I do like Sheer Terror and Judge, but the rest of that stuff is jockish and horrible.  The earliest NY hardcore bands (Nihilistics, Urban Youth, Heart Attack, Reagan Youth) were light years better.  I can dig Agnostic Front's 'Victim in Pain' EP.

That's cool to see mid-period Ramones get some love on here, as those albums are great and never get mentioned... but there's NO WAY they're better than the first 2 Ramones albums.  There's nothing better than those albums.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2021, 08:01:31 AM by bea! »

Grind King Rims

« Reply #79 on: January 01, 2021, 08:43:43 AM »
in regards to a few of the things I've read here:

Correct on Suicidal Tendencies... they've basically managed a 40 year career due to their image.  From what I've read, that's all due to Glenn E Friedman, who was their original manager, telling them to ditch their socal hardcore look and go for Venice cholo.  They owe him big if that's true.

Repulsion is hands down the greatest American metal band (Slayer is close).  I remember hearing them for the first time and it blew my mind... exactly what I love about metal mixed with exactly what is awesome about hardcore (without being a crossover band).  If I had a time machine this would be one of my stops:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i-fW-OBahkY&t=999s

That being said, all that American Thrash from the 80's has dated very, very poorly.  Metallica's "Kill 'Em All" and Exodus' "Bonded By Blood" are pretty much the only thing that holds up, the rest is so boring and unenergetic. I was in Ameoba once and they were playing Metallica 'Justice for All' (my favorite tape when I was a kid) and what sluggish, boring-ass album.   It sounds like a whole album full of the slow breakdown parts of songs without any of the energetic fast parts.  D.R.I. should've called it quits after the Dirty Rotten EP.  Slayer is the only band who still sounds good (up to Seasons).

Country music, at least artistically, isn't nearly as conservative as people think it is.  I mean the two biggest living icons in Country are extremely left.  Also, props to whomever posted Colter Wall, I really dig that guys music.

All that NYHC and Youthcrew stuff (and "90's hardcore") absolutely sucks.  Seems like there's been a resurgence in the last few years too.  I'd say just about everything from the Cro-Mags on... I do like Sheer Terror and Judge, but the rest of that stuff is jockish and horrible.  The earliest NY hardcore bands (Nihilistics, Urban Youth, Heart Attack, Reagan Youth) were light years better.  I can dig Agnostic Front's 'Victim in Pain' EP.

That's cool to see mid-period Ramones get some love on here, as those albums are great and never get mentioned... but there's NO WAY they're better than the first 2 Ramones albums.  There's nothing better than those albums.

In regards to Country Music historically being a lot more left-wing than people would expect, here's an interesting episode of my favorite podcast, Citations Needed on that topic. They're leftists news critics. Maybe you'd be interested.
https://citationsneeded.libsyn.com/episode-119-how-the-right-shaped-pop-country-music

Thanks for posting that Repulsion set, I'm gonna dive into that when I have some time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ly5ZKjjxMNM

Lenny the Fatface

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 331
« Reply #80 on: January 01, 2021, 10:15:04 AM »
Daft Punk gets way too much love for only making one great album (Discovery) and a bunch of so-so albums with a couple great songs on each.

Video game music is Japan’s greatest contribution to music and it’s not even close.

Blonde is overrated as hell.

Plastic Beach is criminally underrated, or at least didn’t have the lifespan that it probably deserved.

Prince blew it by not letting Koston use his song in Yeah Right, he owned his music at that point.

Skating to a hip hop song then skating to it’s sample as the 2nd song like Rodrigo TX did in Parental Advisory should be done way more often.

Grind King Rims

« Reply #81 on: January 01, 2021, 10:19:25 AM »
Plastic Beach had like 5 banger bangers, but that album is 16 songs long and most of it is trash.

fuhkin_powahfood_kid

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1351
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #82 on: January 01, 2021, 06:53:11 PM »
I started a thread, “what song are you using for your thrasher part” just to post sandford Clark.

My unpopular opinions:
1. xfilesx is the best band to ever come out of Massachusetts.
2. Ceremony went down hill after still nothing moves you
3. touché amore got the exposure that life long tragedy deserved
4. Paul’s boutique is the best record ever made
5. Mammoth grinder is better than insect warfare
6. Spine is better than weekend nachos
7. The nerve agents should have blown up in terms of popularity
8. The first four records by AFI is some of the best hardcore ever recorded
9. Pageninetynine is great but document 8 is severely overrated and far from their best release.
10. Grief is better than dystopia.

One my good friends just got her xfilesx tattoo lasered last year. NBxHC
If you plant ice, you’re gonna harvest wind

urbneathme

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 281
« Reply #83 on: January 01, 2021, 11:12:23 PM »
songs of the free is the best gang of four album by a very wide margin.

98% of metal is hilariously bad and necessitates being enjoyed through an at least semi-ironic lense.

bonzo goes to bitburg is the best ramones song, shoutout that dude on page one.

how to clean everything, in comparison to their later discography, is trash, and supporting caste is the best propagandhi album.

elvis costello put out one of his best albums in 2018, which is insane.

the river would’ve been springsteen’s best record if he cut like 6 songs. also, nebraska should have had band recordings (i still really like nebraska)

Youoverthere

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #84 on: January 02, 2021, 06:33:50 AM »
Plastic Beach had like 5 banger bangers, but that album is 16 songs long and most of it is trash.
facts and after everyone waited so long

theSketchLord

• Rep: 41
    • https://images.scribblelive.com/2021/1/4/ca9a0ca8-586d-41e3-ad94-131825707ea0.gif avatar image
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #85 on: January 02, 2021, 06:48:21 AM »
I used to think Radiohead were shit but now I wonder if they're actually geniuses and I'm just too stupid to get it.
"Broke the tail, like a well oiled snail"

Ilya Oblomov

• Rep: 14
« Reply #86 on: January 03, 2021, 11:57:47 AM »
I like The Midnight.

Time Cop 1983 and Miami Nights 1984 are super fun too.

Something about Carpenter Brut really gets my jazz hands going.

ihatejulio

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1090
« Reply #87 on: January 03, 2021, 02:17:35 PM »
umm it IS pronounced dead mau five

Youoverthere

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #88 on: January 03, 2021, 03:56:10 PM »

Lenny the Fatface

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 331
« Reply #89 on: January 04, 2021, 08:53:39 AM »
Fuck it, a couple more takes from me.

I love Nas, but his revisionist history of his 90’s drama is so lame. Open rumor is that he was very jealous that Ready to Die was more popular than Illmatic at the time to the point that he eventually changed his whole style up for It Was Written. He clearly bitched about it to Ghost and Rae during the OB4CL sessions (which is where the Shark Niggaz skit comes from). Biggie checked Nas hard on ‘Kick in the Door’ but of course died before the album came out, so that beef went nowhere. I see why Nas would downplay the friction years later, but to act like they were cool is such an annoying lie lol.

I don’t trust hip-hop opinions from people who like Brockhampton.

Although I don’t really agree with Quincy Jones’ take on rock vs r&b, his slaughter of Ringo Starr was hilarious. The fact that Ringo never responded tells me it must’ve been true.

« Last Edit: January 04, 2021, 09:12:17 AM by Lenny the Fatface »