Author Topic: unpopular opinions thread - music edition  (Read 24554 times)

Frank

• Mods
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1429
  • daddy bought you a pony
Re: unpopular opinions thread - music edition
« Reply #120 on: January 14, 2021, 12:58:06 AM »
^it's been posted on here before, i think even in this thread, but has to be repeated

public image ltd>sex pistols

by far

Sleazy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 255
  • tiger style
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #121 on: January 14, 2021, 05:24:12 AM »
Expand Quote
Korn is not that bad of a band, I went through my old CD's for a trip down nostalgia lane and those time's past gotta say Korn, NIN, Sepultura we're in heavy rotation for my soundtrack 95-97.

With some irony my music taste has changed vastly since then however when one looks back at their angsty teenage years a vast majority of it is full of cringey moments,  I don't mind it at all.

[close]
I was going to post along these lines as well. Like people treat many bands of this era with disdain since apparently 20 years later numetal is still "the worst thing to happen to music", but what exactly do bands like Korn, System of a Down, Deftones or Slipknot have in common with rap-rock like Limp Bizkit or P.O.D.? What is the definition of numetal then, drop-tuned guitars? Performed at Ozzfest or Family Values?

Like you don't have to like them, but show some respect. Or maybe some people just didn't have their angsty teenage years, in which case, I don't know, you win or something?

i still listen to NIN on the regular and feel that them and tool are both great bands from that era that still put out good music. i love that trent has become one of the most widely used people for movie music and really got a kick out of watching soul with my kids and hearing trent distinct talents in the background.

i'd even cautiously add manson to that list. he's had some really cool songs come out the last few years like this one and i always liked hit stuff more than bands like korn, system of down, etc... who i listened to when they first came out but didn't stick with.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X-0Er7Jh-38

the thing i feel was a big miss from the early 90s is that people should know ministry, butthole surfers and skinny puppy more than most of the bands listed above. they all created great music that i still go back too but never got any shine after the scene died out. ministry was still dropping some pretty sick tracks way after the dust settled on the early 90s. always liked this one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CBGMW86u1Qk

LordManHammer

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -324
  • (0_o) whatever dog you probably suck at it
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #122 on: January 14, 2021, 06:07:38 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Korn is not that bad of a band, I went through my old CD's for a trip down nostalgia lane and those time's past gotta say Korn, NIN, Sepultura we're in heavy rotation for my soundtrack 95-97.

With some irony my music taste has changed vastly since then however when one looks back at their angsty teenage years a vast majority of it is full of cringey moments,  I don't mind it at all.

[close]
I was going to post along these lines as well. Like people treat many bands of this era with disdain since apparently 20 years later numetal is still "the worst thing to happen to music", but what exactly do bands like Korn, System of a Down, Deftones or Slipknot have in common with rap-rock like Limp Bizkit or P.O.D.? What is the definition of numetal then, drop-tuned guitars? Performed at Ozzfest or Family Values?

Like you don't have to like them, but show some respect. Or maybe some people just didn't have their angsty teenage years, in which case, I don't know, you win or something?
[close]

i still listen to NIN on the regular and feel that them and tool are both great bands from that era that still put out good music. i love that trent has become one of the most widely used people for movie music and really got a kick out of watching soul with my kids and hearing trent distinct talents in the background.

i'd even cautiously add manson to that list. he's had some really cool songs come out the last few years like this one and i always liked hit stuff more than bands like korn, system of down, etc... who i listened to when they first came out but didn't stick with.

the thing i feel was a big miss from the early 90s is that people should know ministry, butthole surfers and skinny puppy more than most of the bands listed above. they all created great music that i still go back too but never got any shine after the scene died out. ministry was still dropping some pretty sick tracks way after the dust settled on the early 90s. always liked this one

Have we met before?

That Marilyn Manson comparison is fairly accurate anything before beautiful people was decent.

Tool to me wasn't my cup of tea however [NiN]  is great for nongenre interludes for a vid.
Dueces Bitch's

burm

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 125
« Reply #123 on: January 14, 2021, 06:09:02 AM »
I bought Marilyn Manson's newest cd AND the t-shirt. Also just received notice that the frame I ordered for the poster of his painting that came with it is at the post office. I wasn't too much into the last 1-3 albums, but it's safe to say I'm a fan. I feel he's like Lady Gaga in the sense that people just see the meat dress and think "that awkward weirdo is trying too hard to shock me" where as the person inside is not even trying to play at their game
take what small comfort there may be left
seize what you love and damn all the rest

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1429
  • daddy bought you a pony
« Reply #124 on: January 14, 2021, 06:39:09 AM »
wasn't and still not a fan of most nu metal bands like korn at all. but i like ministry, nin and marilyn manson a lot.

i still like some nu metal songs from back then though. like this one is a banger and the video is great. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=51DEzX0lLY4

static x was kind of cool as well.

i was more into the stuff that blended into post hardcore territory, like deftones, glassjaw, will haven(debatable if the last two are nu metal at all tbf) or far. i'll go out of my way and claim that alien ant farm were also not that bad if you looked further than the smooth criminal cover. people are more annoyed by the grimacing frontman than the music i feel.

LordManHammer

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #125 on: January 14, 2021, 07:18:41 AM »
I bought Marilyn Manson's newest cd AND the t-shirt. Also just received notice that the frame I ordered for the poster of his painting that came with it is at the post office. I wasn't too much into the last 1-3 albums, but it's safe to say I'm a fan. I feel he's like Lady Gaga in the sense that people just see the meat dress and think "that awkward weirdo is trying too hard to shock me" where as the person inside is not even trying to play at their game
I like spooky kids part of his career whenever he became a solo artist it was mehhhh.
Dueces Bitch's

livin on a speyer

« Reply #126 on: January 14, 2021, 08:39:54 PM »
Rap is boomer music.

igrindtwinkies

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 367
« Reply #127 on: January 14, 2021, 08:45:59 PM »
While the music isn't good and the fanbase is cringey, a few of ICP's albums entertained me for a good bit when I was a kid and I don't regret it.

urbneathme

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 281
« Reply #128 on: January 14, 2021, 09:34:41 PM »
Expand Quote
how to clean everything, in comparison to their later discography, is trash, and supporting caste is the best propagandhi album.
[close]
I don't think anyone would really argue with you there, but you kinda have to consider them as 2 separate bands or entities bands: John-era vs Todd-era.
Also when did you start listening to them, that will heavily affect your opinion of them. HTCE was my first album of theirs and while everyone likes to say "they transformed into this huge progressive thrash band", even during my first listen (and with my very limited understanding of music) I was like, "these punks like Metallica".

I also adore John K Samson as a song writer too so perhaps I'm biased? My fav album is the split 10" with ISPY because I get John-era propganadhi and I also get to hear Todd's songs. Having said that, and if I'm being honest with myself, Failed States probably comes in at number 2 or 3 for me. Supporting Caste is solid though and I think in years to come we'll also need a beaver-era of the band too when comparing their collective work because he really brought a lot to the band! Have you heard his instrumental band Giant Sons? Awesome shit!

but yeah, musically of course their earlier work is going to sound shitty (I even owned their demo tapes) and there is a tonne of fans who think supporting caste is right up there.

Expand Quote
the sex pistols suck and its funny that everybody looks to them as the example of "punk" (i know not most of yall, but the mainstream) when there were so many more "punk" bands out at the time.
[close]
if I'm talking to someone about music and they even mention the Sex Pistols and punk in the same sentence, I immediately right them off (as some Duane Peters type doosh) and pretend I know nothing about punk music...

ThE Sex Pistols wEre so PUNX!!

yeah, oh really? I know nothing about punk music how fascinating ... oh look there is some paint drying on a wall, bye!
i definitely agree with most everything you said. i got into it through today's empires maybe 7 years ago. right around the time they stopped touring the US with any regularity. i also really enjoy john's music, he was really kind to a close friend of mine on a tour, i really in every way have nothing but good feelings toward him. i think we've met different propagandhi fans though because i had a group of people once tell me that everything after HTCE was unlistenable nonsense. (these were people with punk names tho, so it might just be my fault for being around them).

burm

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #129 on: January 15, 2021, 02:23:29 AM »
While the music isn't good and the fanbase is cringey, a few of ICP's albums entertained me for a good bit when I was a kid and I don't regret it.
I co-sign this  :-[

igrindtwinkies

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 367
« Reply #130 on: January 15, 2021, 04:09:00 AM »
When I drink by myself I listen to alot of shitty country music.  I grew up extremely rural and don't miss it at all, but it's kinda calming to be reminded of home.  Also, the Dixie Chicks slap.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xqgr7R4zUMg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wpVTNjdFlYM

Sleazy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 255
  • tiger style
« Reply #131 on: January 15, 2021, 04:45:46 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]
Have we met before?

That Marilyn Manson comparison is fairly accurate anything before beautiful people was decent.

Tool to me wasn't my cup of tea however [NiN]  is great for nongenre interludes for a vid.

probably haven't met unless you live in austin or houston.

for NIN i feel they still release great stuff. i'm a shameless fanboy though. my screen name on peloton is nineinchales

here's a recent track that i think is really cool

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SSnPVqAjtRU

WobbleHeadBob

• Rep: 80
« Reply #132 on: January 16, 2021, 02:05:55 AM »
When I drink by myself I listen to alot of shitty country music.  I grew up extremely rural and don't miss it at all, but it's kinda calming to be reminded of home.  Also, the Dixie Chicks slap.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xqgr7R4zUMg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wpVTNjdFlYM

fuck yeah.

GauchoAmigo

• Rep: 66
« Reply #133 on: January 16, 2021, 07:58:17 AM »
"songs about jane" is a fantastic pop album

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W3YoJVSxJFk

doublesteveburger

« Reply #134 on: January 17, 2021, 05:39:24 PM »
I must be so high that I don’t recognize the fire burning in your eyes and the chaos that controls my mind.

McDuff

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 55
« Reply #135 on: January 18, 2021, 06:12:20 AM »
I like Kanye’s music ... a lot, also maroon 5 and third eye blind. I understand the Sex Pistols were a “boy band” sort of, but it led me toward some good stuff

WobbleHeadBob

• Rep: 80
« Reply #136 on: January 18, 2021, 08:34:59 AM »
I like Kanye’s music ... a lot, also maroon 5 and third eye blind. I understand the Sex Pistols were a “boy band” sort of, but it led me toward some good stuff

I agree with this - ive always thought of the sex pistols being the punk equivalent of a lager tops - its sick when your dad gives you one when your 12 but its far from the real thing

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #137 on: January 18, 2021, 09:22:47 AM »
The Cradle of Filth discography up to (and including) Cruelty and the Beast is so good.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 76
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #138 on: January 18, 2021, 08:24:27 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I agree with this - ive always thought of the sex pistols being the punk equivalent of a lager tops - its sick when your dad gives you one when your 12 but its far from the real thing
that's a good way to describe the pistols actually! fine if they are a gateway drug for you into punk, but die hard fans that think they are the epitome of the genre are pretty damn sad!!

i definitely agree with most everything you said. i got into it through today's empires maybe 7 years ago. right around the time they stopped touring the US with any regularity. i also really enjoy john's music, he was really kind to a close friend of mine on a tour, i really in every way have nothing but good feelings toward him. i think we've met different propagandhi fans though because i had a group of people once tell me that everything after HTCE was unlistenable nonsense. (these were people with punk names tho, so it might just be my fault for being around them).
I'm glad you like John despite coming in at TETA, people who got into the band later are usually like, "who is this wimpy kermit the frog sounding fucker?" but I always loved the balance he brought the band and the weakerthans are easily one of my fav bands ever. I'm surprised that truPUNX would even like HTCE, it was pretty "poppy" if you're comparing to regular punk, and a lot of the lyrics are basically shitting on the punk scene, guess the message got lost in the music huh? probably the type of people that yell PLAY SKA SUCKS!!! in 2021...

Maroon 5 are definitely a great band, or should I say they aren't that shitty in the scheme of pop music!!

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

bob george

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 199
« Reply #139 on: January 18, 2021, 10:11:38 PM »
The Cradle of Filth discography up to (and including) Cruelty and the Beast is so good.
It's true!
that skinny motherfucker with the high voice

burm

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #140 on: January 18, 2021, 11:33:12 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
It's true!
I fucked with Damnation and a Day, Nymphetamine and Thornography A LOT as well. Thornography must be my favorite album, so groovy and shit. It's one of those bands where even as a fan I find myself thinking at times if they would actually be better with another singer or not. Like, Dani Filth is a lot to handle and especially lately he seems all over the place and throwing those raptor squeals every where he can, but without him would they be anything?

pizzafliptofakie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1962
« Reply #141 on: January 19, 2021, 06:23:04 AM »
Changes and FX are both excellent Sabbath songs.

I think they work well in the context of the full album. I think it's kinda neat to have a weird noisy interlude that immediately follows such a pretty piano song before it takes you back to a more signature song of theirs.

Lenny the Fatface

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 331
« Reply #142 on: January 20, 2021, 11:12:38 AM »

Kanye discography is like the Final Fantasy series. I don’t believe anyone who likes all of it, I can’t trust someone who likes none of it.

McDuff

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #143 on: January 20, 2021, 11:43:04 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Hahaha! This is true.

Kanye discography is like the Final Fantasy series. I don’t believe anyone who likes all of it, I can’t trust someone who likes none of it.

LordManHammer

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #144 on: January 20, 2021, 12:22:24 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Hahaha! This is true.

[close]
Then call me a untrustworthy person, I'm sure I've heard it albeit a cameo or extra in a rap song and I wasn't impressed. Anyone who has that kinda extra self important ego I'm immediately not going to like them. Is it a personal thing? maybe....... when someone raps about stories and coming up in the struggle or making whatever that music is it has to be relatable and my age has shown how much I'm really in to.

Naww son COF always came off as ultra mega corny couldn't get in to it.
Dueces Bitch's

Coastal Fever

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 495
« Reply #145 on: January 20, 2021, 02:47:19 PM »

McDuff

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #146 on: January 21, 2021, 01:53:39 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Hahaha! This is true.

[close]
[close]
Then call me a untrustworthy person, I'm sure I've heard it albeit a cameo or extra in a rap song and I wasn't impressed. Anyone who has that kinda extra self important ego I'm immediately not going to like them. Is it a personal thing? maybe....... when someone raps about stories and coming up in the struggle or making whatever that music is it has to be relatable and my age has shown how much I'm really in to.

Expand Quote
[close]
Naww son COF always came off as ultra mega corny couldn't get in to it.

I feel you. I think artists should have an ego to some degree, his is off the meat obv... but I like that about him. Calling himself a genius etc. different strokes. I know he’s a bit too much for some people in his views, but ignorance is bliss (in my case).
« Last Edit: January 21, 2021, 02:04:46 AM by McDuff »

matty_c

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 459
« Reply #147 on: January 21, 2021, 09:18:32 AM »
I fucking love that song called steal my sunshine
There all on mopeds or some shit in the video
listen to cosmic psychos

Grind King Rims

« Reply #148 on: January 21, 2021, 02:02:07 PM »
I fucking love that song called steal my sunshine
There all on mopeds or some shit in the video
Yeah, with the brother and sister touching each other all weird and shit in the video.

Huell Howser

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 248
« Reply #149 on: January 21, 2021, 04:10:38 PM »