Author Topic: unpopular opinions thread - music edition  (Read 24574 times)

GauchoAmigo

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 66
Re: unpopular opinions thread - music edition
« Reply #150 on: January 21, 2021, 07:42:29 PM »
hell yes it is ^^^

matty_c

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 459
« Reply #151 on: January 21, 2021, 09:43:04 PM »
Expand Quote
I fucking love that song called steal my sunshine
There all on mopeds or some shit in the video
[close]
Yeah, with the brother and sister touching each other all weird and shit in the video.

Holy shit they’re related?? Damn canadians eh
listen to cosmic psychos

Freelancevagrant

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1555
« Reply #152 on: January 22, 2021, 07:31:40 AM »
I love both bands but I think the Boston strangler is better than the rival mob. Hard to admit that but there, I said it.
Well I have like 9 Andy Anderson dated flight decks.

doublesteveburger

« Reply #153 on: January 22, 2021, 09:26:59 PM »
Amanda Palmer can be cringey as fuck but the Dresden Dolls are amazing.

Huell Howser

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 248
« Reply #154 on: January 23, 2021, 12:43:32 AM »
people only like Orville Peck because of the aesthetic. There are far better outlaw country musicians

**updated opinion - I didn't realize he was gay. that actually is badass for a country musician and I can understand his appeal a bit more but I still don't enjoy the music
« Last Edit: January 23, 2021, 03:26:02 AM by habby »

WobbleHeadBob

• Rep: 80
« Reply #155 on: January 23, 2021, 02:22:21 AM »
people only like Orville Peck because of the aesthetic. There are far better outlaw country musicians

100% i cannot get into that dude

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1429
  • daddy bought you a pony
« Reply #156 on: January 23, 2021, 05:09:34 AM »
hell yes it is ^^^

i was into the goo goo dolls when i was 11 years or so haha. i bought this and the jed album and it's a pretty good early pop punk album.

this instrumental track is still killer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JCpYwpTXgGk&list=PLStJ3c0X6dFG3s_JO2iGfTp2wiaykk_zt&index=4

brycickle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 153
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #157 on: January 23, 2021, 10:36:18 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Sooooo...he's the Ghost, of outlaw country.

You and the D00D have turned this thread into a horrible head-on-collision between a short bus full of regular kids and a van full of paraplegics.

Dwyck

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 150
  • Harley-Davidson Ironwing
« Reply #158 on: January 23, 2021, 01:14:52 PM »
As a Bronx native raised by a british woman the NY Drill thing makes absolutely no sense to me. Like, Bobby Shmurda went away and then a couple years later I'm hearing like Brooklyn rappers over UK-Garage takes on Chicago-style beats--when did this happen? It's everywhere! Like I thought the thing people liked about 6ix9ine was the yelling
Regular stance is a mental disorder defined by the DSM-5

Glue Reed

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 159
« Reply #159 on: January 23, 2021, 01:19:36 PM »
I'm gonna stick up for the Sex Pistols here...

They were not a fucking boy band.  It irks me when people say that, because a boy band is created and produced for the pop market.  I would say they were more of an art project of Malcom McLaren, who was trying to break into music management for quite awhile (he briefly managed The New York Dolls)... They existed as a band prior to meeting McLaren (Paul Cook and Steve Jones had a band) and McLaren eventually helped get Glen Matlock in and eventually Johnny Rotten.  McLaren wanted money, sure, but he did it through chaos and outrage.  So he helped assemble them, yes, but they wrote all their own music and wrote one of the greatest punk LP's of that time period.   

I can see how some people get put off the mainstream idea that they were the "first" punk band, because they weren't, not even for that 75-77 era...  there were bands that released records before Never Mind The Bollocks (Ramones, Dead Boys, Saints, Suicide Commandos).  The Damned first 7" came out before theirs did (though the Sex Pistols were around longer).

They really just made punk a worldwide phenomenon, and created a blueprint for what the punk "look" would become.  Yeah, the whole safety pin/ripped clothes thing is corny as fuck now, and Sid Vicious really sucked, but at the time it was revolutionary.  That album is perfectly produced btw... I suggest giving it another listen, cause that album fucking rules. 

WobbleHeadBob

« Reply #160 on: January 23, 2021, 01:20:53 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
Sooooo...he's the Ghost, of outlaw country.

HAHA! exactly
(but Ghosts first album was sick)

Grind King Rims

« Reply #161 on: January 23, 2021, 01:44:05 PM »
As a Bronx native raised by a british woman the NY Drill thing makes absolutely no sense to me. Like, Bobby Shmurda went away and then a couple years later I'm hearing like Brooklyn rappers over UK-Garage takes on Chicago-style beats--when did this happen? It's everywhere! Like I thought the thing people liked about 6ix9ine was the yelling

Can you give examples?

bob george

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 199
« Reply #162 on: January 23, 2021, 04:45:59 PM »
It's not even an opinion so much as it is a fact, but it's fun to say to certain people to get them all hot and bothered.

Bob Dylan is not a poet. He is a songwriter. He has written poetry, but his songs are not poetry. His songs are songs and his poems are poems. Doesn't change what you can take from them. Same could be said for Leonard Cohen. [I love them both very much.]

Some others I've noticed people don't like to talk to me about;

David Bowie is not bad [at all, i'm well aware that he's great and all - i enjoy most of his songs when i hear them] but he's also a little bit boring and I'm often surprised/confused at how totally fucking crazy off the wall amazing and weird everyone thinks he is. He's ok...

I feel similarly about The Pixies, except that i don't enjoy their music even a little bit when i hear it.

Sonic Youth are more interesting than the pixies but still overall not as exciting as a lot of people like to make out. Not bad, not that great.

Oh, and Radiohead are just total shit. I have occasionally appreciated something they've approached theoretically and been like, oh that's interesting, but as far as being a band you would listen to or pay a fuck load of money to watch perform; that doesn't sit very well with me at all.
that skinny motherfucker with the high voice

Huell Howser

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 248
« Reply #163 on: January 23, 2021, 05:16:47 PM »

They were not a fucking boy band.  It irks me when people say that, because a boy band is created and produced for the pop market.  I would say they were more of an art project of Malcom McLaren, who was trying to break into music management for quite awhile (he briefly managed The New York Dolls)... They existed as a band prior to meeting McLaren (Paul Cook and Steve Jones had a band) and McLaren eventually helped get Glen Matlock in and eventually Johnny Rotten.  McLaren wanted money, sure, but he did it through chaos and outrage.  So he helped assemble them, yes, but they wrote all their own music and wrote one of the greatest punk LP's of that time period.   

I can see how some people get put off the mainstream idea that they were the "first" punk band, because they weren't, not even for that 75-77 era...  there were bands that released records before Never Mind The Bollocks (Ramones, Dead Boys, Saints, Suicide Commandos).  The Damned first 7" came out before theirs did (though the Sex Pistols were around longer).

They really just made punk a worldwide phenomenon, and created a blueprint for what the punk "look" would become.  Yeah, the whole safety pin/ripped clothes thing is corny as fuck now, and Sid Vicious really sucked, but at the time it was revolutionary.  That album is perfectly produced btw... I suggest giving it another listen, cause that album fucking rules.

You speak the truth. I liked the Sex Pistols back when I first heard them as a kid, then when I moved onto other punk/hardcore etc. I took the stance that they sucked because I was too cool(stupid). That album is so great even outside of 77 punk/protopunk etc. - its almost just a rock n roll album

on that note Johnny Rotten being a Trump guy was weird/hilarious to watch lol. Not as twacked out as duane peters but in the same vein

fuhkin_powahfood_kid

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1352
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #164 on: January 23, 2021, 08:44:10 PM »
It's not even an opinion so much as it is a fact, but it's fun to say to certain people to get them all hot and bothered.

Bob Dylan is not a poet. He is a songwriter. He has written poetry, but his songs are not poetry. His songs are songs and his poems are poems. Doesn't change what you can take from them. Same could be said for Leonard Cohen. [I love them both very much.]

David Bowie is not bad [at all, i'm well aware that he's great and all - i enjoy most of his songs when i hear them] but he's also a little bit boring and I'm often surprised/confused at how totally fucking crazy off the wall amazing and weird everyone thinks he is. He's ok...

I feel similarly about The Pixies, except that i don't enjoy their music even a little bit when i hear it.

Sonic Youth are more interesting than the pixies but still overall not as exciting as a lot of people like to make out. Not bad, not that great.

Oh, and Radiohead are just total shit. I have occasionally appreciated something they've approached theoretically and been like, oh that's interesting, but as far as being a band you would listen to or pay a fuck load of money to watch perform; that doesn't sit very well with me at all.

to call a song a poem is to take away from what it means to write a song, for sure. His lyrics do however, easily translate into a sort of poetry, especially for those who don't make poems.

As for Bowie and the Pixies, I think a lot of their stuff is/was great, but most of all, it gained importance because it was innovative upon entering the mainstream. No close to mainstream artist was doing what Bowie was doing when he was doing it in the earlier days. It's not just the music, it's performance art. Similar case with Sonic Youth and the Pixies, nobody who had their level of influence was doing what they were doing. They were all incredibly influential and in some ways, ground breaking.
If you plant ice, you’re gonna harvest wind

urbneathme

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 281
« Reply #165 on: January 23, 2021, 09:57:22 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

to call a song a poem is to take away from what it means to write a song, for sure. His lyrics do however, easily translate into a sort of poetry, especially for those who don't make poems.

As for Bowie and the Pixies, I think a lot of their stuff is/was great, but most of all, it gained importance because it was innovative upon entering the mainstream. No close to mainstream artist was doing what Bowie was doing when he was doing it in the earlier days. It's not just the music, it's performance art. Similar case with Sonic Youth and the Pixies, nobody who had their level of influence was doing what they were doing. They were all incredibly influential and in some ways, ground breaking.
a good poem is WAY harder to write than good lyrics. i don’t think dylan really even has great lyrics. he just had long songs, and someone needed to fill twelve inches of record because they had the patent, so they put dylan on. he kinda got the gig because he didn’t have tracks, he’s just had albums worth of ramblings that could be marketed

WobbleHeadBob

« Reply #166 on: January 24, 2021, 03:54:42 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]
a good poem is WAY harder to write than good lyrics. i don’t think dylan really even has great lyrics. he just had long songs, and someone needed to fill twelve inches of record because they had the patent, so they put dylan on. he kinda got the gig because he didn’t have tracks, he’s just had albums worth of ramblings that could be marketed

roses are red
violets are blue
Im reading Slap
while doing a poo

Deputy Wendell

« Reply #167 on: January 24, 2021, 07:43:16 AM »

oi! i think i started the Sex Pistols conversation on the first page, when i simply stated:

Public Image: First Issue is better than Never Mind the Bollocks, Here's the Sex Pistols

and i absolutely believe it is, but this being said, i too like the Sex Pistols, and the album mentioned...i literally was still playing with Star Wars figures and shit when some older punks in my family gave me a copy of Never Mind the Bollocks and got a kick out of the fact that i would be playing Star Wars to "Bodies"

so Never Mind the Bollocks came out in 1977...i know it wasn't released until the late 1990s, but how fucking mindblowing is it that Bad Brains' Black Dots recordings happened not even two years later in 1979?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MYWYeDvgX6k

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pc8MdUAeeNY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TZwb8UPLLj8

Black Dots is one of my all-time favorite albums from anyone, and my favorite Bad Brains album...honestly, as far as power, speed, and intensity this does make the Sex Pistols seem like a boy band, (edit:) although i know that the Bad Brains were influenced by them...

GauchoAmigo

• Rep: 66
« Reply #168 on: January 24, 2021, 11:07:12 AM »

Oh, and Radiohead are just total shit.
nah b

fuhkin_powahfood_kid

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1352
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #169 on: January 24, 2021, 11:47:16 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

What I said about calling a song a poem and taking away from what it is to write a song means that to write a song, a good song, is a totally different process where accompanying music needs to be considered while also taking into consideration lyrical devices, word meaning, history, figures of speech etc. And that's why Dylan has written timeless song. When making a poem it's about the maker and no one else. You gotta ask, is this poem finished when it's done being written on paper? is it finished when someone else reads it? is it finished when I, the maker, read it aloud to effect listeners as it moves through the brain/body/collective/liminal spaces? I'm someone that writes and reads (makes) poems and someone that can't write songs because I don't understand music. the moving parts of a poem exist within the maker, whereas with a song there are more external factors to consider, parts outside control.

With only a handful of exceptions, Dylan wrote his own lyric and the accompanying music, tracks whatever you want to call it- he writes total songs. Dude's been putting original music out since 1961. Whether you like him or not, there's no credence to the argument. But that's your unpopular opinion ;)

oi! i think i started the Sex Pistols conversation on the first page, when i simply stated:

Public Image: First Issue is better than Never Mind the Bollocks, Here's the Sex Pistols

and i absolutely believe it is, but this being said, i too like the Sex Pistols, and the album mentioned...i literally was still playing with Star Wars figures and shit when some older punks in my family gave me a copy of Never Mind the Bollocks and got a kick out of the fact that i would be playing Star Wars to "Bodies"

so Never Mind the Bollocks came out in 1977...i know it wasn't released until the late 1990s, but how fucking mindblowing is it that Bad Brains' Black Dots recordings happened not even two years later in 1979?

Black Dots is one of my all-time favorite albums from anyone, and my favorite Bad Brains album...honestly, as far as power, speed, and intensity this does make the Sex Pistols seem like a boy band, (edit:) although i know that the Bad Brains were influenced by them...

Sex Pistol did some shit that was pretty mind-blowing to the uninitiated, I think that's why we all liked them when we were 12. Sid was the OG edge lord with his swazi armbands and shit. NMTB was great until I heard bands like the Dead Kennedys or even the Misfits.

And you're right about Black Dots, it's a powerful record. Red Bone in the City is a sick track kinda playing off the Pistols
If you plant ice, you’re gonna harvest wind

bob george

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 199
« Reply #170 on: January 24, 2021, 03:10:04 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]
nah b

yeah b. one of the worst bands of all time :) hehe
that skinny motherfucker with the high voice

Dante Bichette

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 35
  • 10th Prestige
« Reply #171 on: January 24, 2021, 06:24:54 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Can you give examples?

https://youtu.be/usu0XY4QNB0

https://youtu.be/xf3eAb4l38Y

Literally every NY drill song sounds the exact same. It's insane how influential Pop Smoke was in such a short amount of time with incorporating UK's sound into the US.

Can someone explain in Fortnite terms?

LordManHammer

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -324
  • (0_o) whatever dog you probably suck at it
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #172 on: January 24, 2021, 09:04:47 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
nah b
[close]

yeah b. one of the worst bands of all time :) hehe
I back this........... Radiohead is garbage.
Dueces Bitch's

matty_c

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 459
« Reply #173 on: January 25, 2021, 03:16:00 AM »
Man I liked them but I reckon thom yourke’s head went up his own arsehole years ago
listen to cosmic psychos

McDuff

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 55
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #174 on: January 25, 2021, 06:52:05 AM »

Thanks for this. I love that album so much, And only just watched “24 hour party people”... so great how the one show influenced a scene. I’ll never brush them off. Tbh, only mentioned the boy band thing to get ahead of any blowback. This is slap, and I’m too lazy to argue.

pizzafliptofakie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1963
« Reply #175 on: January 25, 2021, 07:10:39 AM »
Man I liked them but I reckon thom yourke’s head went up his own arsehole years ago

it's hard for me to have a fair opinion of Radiohead when I hear some of the praise they get for things that aren't particularly original or complex. I saw this long video essay about the song Videotape and why its syncopated rhythm makes Thom mess it up. Which sure, in terms of pop music syncopation is relatively interesting, but it's also something I learned about in like middle school band. 

Freelancevagrant

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1555
« Reply #176 on: January 25, 2021, 11:19:12 AM »
Billy Stewart’s version of summertime is the best out of the 25,000 versions of the track.

https://youtu.be/CDLDl0_pt_k
Well I have like 9 Andy Anderson dated flight decks.

WobbleHeadBob

« Reply #177 on: January 25, 2021, 01:32:15 PM »
the Darkness were a great band and this song fucking rules

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EoHBZPOGU2g

doublesteveburger

« Reply #178 on: January 25, 2021, 02:59:30 PM »
Soviet Kitsch by Regina Spektor is punk as shit.

cucktard

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 321
« Reply #179 on: January 25, 2021, 05:40:40 PM »
Punkest thing in the past 10 years has been a country duo from Nashville called Birdcloud.

https://youtu.be/ptSowP3Rm8k
I’m trying to be every mom’s favorite skater’-&&

Duane's the type of guy to ask to see your junk then go to school and tell everyone you're gay. - Uncle Flea