Author Topic: 2021 unpopular opinion thread  (Read 118498 times)

RichardBarkley

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -762
Re: 2021 unpopular opinion thread
« Reply #240 on: January 23, 2021, 01:43:48 PM »
Expand Quote
FA/Hockey boards are shaped like absolute shit rectangles and i dont get it. anyone that says "dude theyre just old workshop shapes" was obviously not there bc aws had great shapes.

free max b
[close]

this is one of the biggest concerns i have and one of the reasons why i havent picked up one of their boards, yet. that and i like their graphics.......maybe that one could be added to this thread:
i dont like FA/Hockey graphics.

are quasi boards any better?

Yeah I never had a was board like that.

If anything they were the opposite. Skinny and pointy.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2021, 02:09:41 PM by RichardBarkley »
I want to fight you so badly richard
Please give me your address ill make it my life goal to punsh your face in

conqueso

« Reply #241 on: January 23, 2021, 01:55:54 PM »
dudes with their throwback 90s kits be lookin ridiculous on 9in decks in all seriousness. some toys-r-us lookin shit.

bob george

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 208
« Reply #242 on: January 23, 2021, 02:07:46 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
FA/Hockey boards are shaped like absolute shit rectangles and i dont get it. anyone that says "dude theyre just old workshop shapes" was obviously not there bc aws had great shapes.

free max b
[close]

this is one of the biggest concerns i have and one of the reasons why i havent picked up one of their boards, yet. that and i like their graphics.......maybe that one could be added to this thread:

[close]

i've tripped pretty hard on the hockey shapes friends have had. total rectangles. pretty big gap in brands, but i've seen creature boards that have the same weird shape. freaks me out and looks terrible.
that skinny motherfucker with the high voice

Urtripping

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 526
« Reply #243 on: January 23, 2021, 02:13:24 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

free max b
[close]

[close]

[close]

i've tripped pretty hard on the hockey shapes friends have had. total rectangles. pretty big gap in brands, but i've seen creature boards that have the same weird shape. freaks me out and looks terrible.

My one buddy almost exclusively skates 8.5 fa/hockey decks and it feels very strange. As someone used to narrower boards with mellower nose and tail shapes, his board feels foreign and would take a lot of getting used to. Don't see the appeal, but whatever floats yer boat...
I saw your mommy and your mommy's dead

veritas

« Reply #244 on: January 23, 2021, 04:10:40 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

free max b
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

My one buddy almost exclusively skates 8.5 fa/hockey decks and it feels very strange. As someone used to narrower boards with mellower nose and tail shapes, his board feels foreign and would take a lot of getting used to. Don't see the appeal, but whatever floats yer boat...

Had one FA that was more pointed with shorter wheelbase but overall the rectangle thing rings true, especially the 8.5 hockey

imjusthereforthechips

« Reply #245 on: January 23, 2021, 04:43:12 PM »
hmmm, if i remember correctly i had a bunch of alien and habitat boards around the time mosaic came out and the noses were pretty square but still had a bit of a taper on the tail. they also had super steep concave, or at least compared to girl/chocolate boards. does anyone else remember this or am i just nuts? maybe if FA/Hockey scaled their sizes down to like 7.625-7.875, the argument that theyre the same shape as old alien boards might be true?

Eric Dolphy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 524
« Reply #246 on: January 23, 2021, 04:58:15 PM »
I've had 15+ quasi boards and a few FA that looked the same, but the FA were steeper, longer wheelbase and very hard to skate, for me anyway.
The "rectangular" Quasi 8.5 with the 14.25 wb is my favourite shape, based on how it performs. I couldn't give a fuck what other people's boards look like, if it works for you, awesome.
If you see offensive comments, just let it go into one eye and let it out of the other eye, no tears and not sadness or anger.

LordManHammer

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -333
  • (0_o) whatever dog you probably suck at it
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #247 on: January 23, 2021, 05:03:33 PM »
Expand Quote
Nothing has been milked harder in skateboarding than the mild cultural relevancy of Larry Clark/Harmony Korine films.
[close]

There's about a million things in skating that have been milked harder than this and aren't even good in the first place
I mean he's not wrong and I'm here to call it for what it is.
Dueces Bitch's

BieberStance

• Rep: -18
« Reply #248 on: January 23, 2021, 05:06:23 PM »
All my life i am basically on a quest to find a pretty symmetrically shaped board with very round, like half circles of nose and tails.
Should i give hockey a shot?

Lou Strux

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2210
  • The Swede is down at Venice Beach, shove off!
« Reply #249 on: January 23, 2021, 05:59:37 PM »
All my life i am basically on a quest to find a pretty symmetrically shaped board with very round, like half circles of nose and tails.
Those Real Full shapes have that round & blunt tip profile. The other DLX brands run some of they as well.

I wanna play you in a game of SKATE for the right to continue talking shit on me.  You think you got me?

DarkPools

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 478
« Reply #250 on: January 23, 2021, 06:22:23 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Here are some of mine:

Thunders look like cheap knockoff trucks you'd find on a generic version of Tech Decks. They look weird to me. I've held this opinion for years though haha

Etnies has been the best of the three SoleTech brands since 2013 and is far more consistent in design/quality than Emerica and eS.

The "inclusion" boom of 2019/2020 in skateboarding has intentionally/unintentionally unearthed many of the ugly truths about the skateboard Industry that many people were not ready for, as it happened so quickly. (Maybe this isn't unpopular but idk)

SoCal footage isn't as boring/bland as some people argue. The skater doing predictable skating in said spots is what makes it bland.

Dwindle brands are doing better with skaters than much of Slap wants to acknowledge since they're a few notches below Braille/Remvive of kookiness in skateboarding.
[close]

Yeah dwindle are doing really well and have some great brands. This kip is no meter for people who actually just skate. There's a big difference.

"
The "inclusion" boom of 2019/2020 in skateboarding has intentionally/unintentionally unearthed many of the ugly truths about the skateboard Industry that many people were not ready for, as it happened so quickly. (Maybe this isn't unpopular but idk)"

Interesting. How so ?
[close]

Not OP but the BLM movement along with the mini #metoo wave that happened in skateboarding made it clear that a lot of skaters aren't ready for these conversations, and the whole idea of skateboarding being so inclusive is largely superficial. I do agree that skateboarding is more progressive than some other cultures, but I think a lot of people think they're not prejudiced simply because they (not out of choice) share an activity and space with people of minority groups. People think they're fine because they won't spit on a trans person if they turn up at the skatepark, but a lot of them aren't willing to take their "inclusivity" any further than that.
[close]
Skateboarding is the most inclusive thing in the sense that tons of weirdos and freaks gravitate towards it, not because it has open arms to minorities.
I am OP, and I agree with the other Pal that listed examples. I love to champion skateboarding's openness and inclusivity to non skaters/other types of skaters, but I was quickly reminded in the last 2 years that so many skaters/brand owners, etc. in this subculture are not as willing to be as progressive as they think they are. I personally think a lot of skaters were not ready to admit that they could be more inclusive/considerate of those skating that they're not used to seeing (LGBTQ for example). We all may think we are open, thoughtful, etc. UNTIL a real life example shows up and the insecurities spill out. That's my take on it, though.

Thankfully, in SoCal and further north, I've seen far more groups within skateboarding garner efforts/spaces for these people to assimilate more easily into skateboarding without worrying about the ignorant ones.

This is also true. It attracts everyone, regardless of background. It's not as gate kept as other activites in this way.
Super Champion Fun Zone

mushroom slice

« Reply #251 on: January 23, 2021, 06:46:14 PM »
dudes with their throwback 90s kits be lookin ridiculous on 9in decks in all seriousness. some toys-r-us lookin shit.

conqueso

« Reply #252 on: January 23, 2021, 06:54:02 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

exactly man. guy could've kickflipped into half those tricks if he was riding a real skateboard.

Scott Chegg

• Rep: -5
« Reply #253 on: January 23, 2021, 06:58:01 PM »
Puffy shoes are shit, I had some lynxes and they look sick but when I went back to some blazers I realised how hard it is to skate in them
I fucking hate long socks so much they look so fucking dumb, and blodney wearing shorts all year round is the worst gimmick in skating, way way worse than flame beanies

imjusthereforthechips

« Reply #254 on: January 23, 2021, 07:15:27 PM »
Puffy shoes are shit, I had some lynxes and they look sick but when I went back to some blazers I realised how hard it is to skate in them
I fucking hate long socks so much they look so fucking dumb, and blodney wearing shorts all year round is the worst gimmick in skating, way way worse than flame beanies
i like long socks, they cover up my tattoos so it reduces the amount of people asking me about my about my tattoos. plus i find them to be very comforting especially when im out in public, kind of like how thundershirts are for skiddish dogs. i do hate the people who wear shorts all year round, usually theyre just trying to show off their tattoos and fish for compliments. i wish i never got tattoos. biggest waste of money, ever.

cky enthusiast

« Reply #255 on: January 23, 2021, 07:24:04 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
i like long socks, they cover up my tattoos so it reduces the amount of people asking me about my about my tattoos. plus i find them to be very comforting especially when im out in public, kind of like how thundershirts are for skiddish dogs. i do hate the people who wear shorts all year round, usually theyre just trying to show off their tattoos and fish for compliments. i wish i never got tattoos. biggest waste of money, ever.

we get it cool guy, you have tattoos

imjusthereforthechips

« Reply #256 on: January 23, 2021, 07:27:01 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

we get it cool guy, you have tattoos
im not your guy, buddy

IUTSM

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1396
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #257 on: January 23, 2021, 08:17:56 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I'm watching and waiting for something sick to happen and nothing comes. the whole video could be a meme. jeezuz. nothing original whatsoever.
Well-defined ambiguity, I'm already on somebody's list as a casualty

RichardBarkley

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -762
« Reply #258 on: January 24, 2021, 04:00:17 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

I'm watching and waiting for something sick to happen and nothing comes. the whole video could be a meme. jeezuz. nothing original whatsoever.

Lol

No joke im in fits laughing here.

If you wanna see some rad action and manouevres watch a nyjah video
I want to fight you so badly richard
Please give me your address ill make it my life goal to punsh your face in

WobbleHeadBob

• Rep: 80
« Reply #259 on: January 24, 2021, 04:08:39 AM »
I don't get the white shoes with black laces/black Soles and the all black shoes with white laces thing. To me both looks ugly

yo I snapped my black shoelace, do you have a spare?

'I have a white one in my bag if you want it'

ah fuck, nah ill just not skate for the rest of the day cos a strnager on the internet mght think my shoes look silly

Roy Machine

• Rep: -5
« Reply #260 on: January 24, 2021, 04:27:34 AM »
Expand Quote
I don't get the white shoes with black laces/black Soles and the all black shoes with white laces thing. To me both looks ugly
[close]

ah fuck, nah ill just not skate for the rest of the day cos a strnager on the internet mght think my shoes look silly

jeez, that's not what i was reffering to.

I was talking about those style of shoes for example

https://www.lastresortab.com/products/vm001-suede-lo-white-black

https://www.lastresortab.com/products/vm001-suede-lo-navy-black

(nearly) every shoe company has those kind of colourways right now.

Hyliannightmare

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -198
« Reply #261 on: January 24, 2021, 04:41:46 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Those Real Full shapes have that round & blunt tip profile. The other DLX brands run some of they as well.
X2 my homie has one of the iPhone twin tails and it sounds exactly like what you're describing

GuessAgain?

• Rep: 56
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #262 on: January 24, 2021, 05:42:39 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

I think they're trying to imitate EMB era Cab/Halfcabs/the sal barbier 23's colourways? Could be wrong tho, not my era... not mad at it personally

Billy Bitchcakes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 475
  • Q U I T E S T Y L I S H
« Reply #263 on: January 24, 2021, 06:11:41 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Must suck when the best trick in your part by far was done by somebody else
During sex to prevent myself from ejaculating I think about Osama Bin Laden running my dick through a sewing machine.

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 692
« Reply #264 on: January 24, 2021, 06:58:29 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Currently I rock one black (original) and one white (because I don't have any black replacements).

Back in the day white shoelaces on doc marten's meant you were a nazi skinhead.
why come?

Life is too short to be angry at the Shrimp Blunt intro

ballintoohard

« Reply #265 on: January 24, 2021, 08:14:58 AM »
Late to the party but I only skated Alien and Habitat from 99-2002ish then again in 2004-2006. They never had a square shape. Their decks were pointy, slightly steeper and longer than Crail brands, popped amazing but always cracked easily

Vomit Lust

• Rep: 83
« Reply #266 on: January 24, 2021, 08:34:15 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

With the exception of the defense of predators and racists, I don’t think I’ve ever disagreed with a sentiment expressed on Slap more than this one. Haha! I love white shoes with black soles! I’m always on the lookout for them. They’re kind of reminiscent of punk rock creepers. Super clean look when they’re new. With black pants, you’ll be looking dope as hell. Black with white are totally fine too. I probably wear that more than anything because there’s always some available. The white are harder to come by.

I’ll admit they look pretty terrible after being skated a bunch though. You gotta keep em clean.

Brguy

« Reply #267 on: January 24, 2021, 10:17:04 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Here are some of mine:

Thunders look like cheap knockoff trucks you'd find on a generic version of Tech Decks. They look weird to me. I've held this opinion for years though haha

Etnies has been the best of the three SoleTech brands since 2013 and is far more consistent in design/quality than Emerica and eS.

The "inclusion" boom of 2019/2020 in skateboarding has intentionally/unintentionally unearthed many of the ugly truths about the skateboard Industry that many people were not ready for, as it happened so quickly. (Maybe this isn't unpopular but idk)

SoCal footage isn't as boring/bland as some people argue. The skater doing predictable skating in said spots is what makes it bland.

Dwindle brands are doing better with skaters than much of Slap wants to acknowledge since they're a few notches below Braille/Remvive of kookiness in skateboarding.
[close]

Yeah dwindle are doing really well and have some great brands. This kip is no meter for people who actually just skate. There's a big difference.

"
The "inclusion" boom of 2019/2020 in skateboarding has intentionally/unintentionally unearthed many of the ugly truths about the skateboard Industry that many people were not ready for, as it happened so quickly. (Maybe this isn't unpopular but idk)"

Interesting. How so ?
[close]

Not OP but the BLM movement along with the mini #metoo wave that happened in skateboarding made it clear that a lot of skaters aren't ready for these conversations, and the whole idea of skateboarding being so inclusive is largely superficial. I do agree that skateboarding is more progressive than some other cultures, but I think a lot of people think they're not prejudiced simply because they (not out of choice) share an activity and space with people of minority groups. People think they're fine because they won't spit on a trans person if they turn up at the skatepark, but a lot of them aren't willing to take their "inclusivity" any further than that.
[close]
Skateboarding is the most inclusive thing in the sense that tons of weirdos and freaks gravitate towards it, not because it has open arms to minorities.
[close]
I am OP, and I agree with the other Pal that listed examples. I love to champion skateboarding's openness and inclusivity to non skaters/other types of skaters, but I was quickly reminded in the last 2 years that so many skaters/brand owners, etc. in this subculture are not as willing to be as progressive as they think they are. I personally think a lot of skaters were not ready to admit that they could be more inclusive/considerate of those skating that they're not used to seeing (LGBTQ for example). We all may think we are open, thoughtful, etc. UNTIL a real life example shows up and the insecurities spill out. That's my take on it, though.

Thankfully, in SoCal and further north, I've seen far more groups within skateboarding garner efforts/spaces for these people to assimilate more easily into skateboarding without worrying about the ignorant ones.

This is also true. It attracts everyone, regardless of background. It's not as gate kept as other activites in this way.
To be honest it isn't so unexpected, the industry might sell the idea of being open but skaters are most of the time somewhat angry and reclusive. I mean, isn't the whole point of it being something highly individual? The whole "I don't need anyone to skate and no one can tell me how to skate", which is already kinda ironic considering all the rules we have, but you can still go out and do dork tricks and you'll find other dorks that enjoy them as much as you.

formula420

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 85
« Reply #268 on: January 24, 2021, 10:21:52 AM »

Alien workshop has a twin thats not too square. Maybe it will work for you

IUTSM

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1396
« Reply #269 on: January 24, 2021, 02:09:20 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

Lol

No joke im in fits laughing here.

If you wanna see some rad action and manouevres watch a nyjah video

never watched a nyjah clip and probably won't ever. prefer Westgate.
Well-defined ambiguity, I'm already on somebody's list as a casualty