Author Topic: Stand up comedy  (Read 20420 times)

who da thunk it

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -79
Re: Stand up comedy
« Reply #300 on: September 05, 2023, 05:22:38 PM »
Joe List has a special premiering tonight.

Here's a 3 part mini-doc leading up to it

Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.

I love Joe List. I saw him live a few months ago and he killed harder than he did on that special. He explained on Tuesdays w/ Stories that they didn't edit the special down enough and it was too loose, I gotta agree. This Year's Material was waaay better

Saw Shane Gillis a few months ago, too. Was the best stand up/live performance I'd ever seen. Didn't fuck up one line or stammer or anything. Everything was killer. It was like watching a virtuoso. The dude is fantastic and his performance was a sight to behold.

matt_2993

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 227
« Reply #301 on: September 05, 2023, 06:22:00 PM »
yeah Shane's new special had me dying even after seeing him do the hour live earlier this year

Willie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 307
« Reply #302 on: September 05, 2023, 06:59:00 PM »
That Gillis special was really good although it’s kind of freaky hearing someone talk so Philly on TV.

I guess there was some kind of schism in the Philly comedy scene when Shane was canceled from SNL and I had two skate friends on either side. The guy who stuck with Gillis (who worked at my old local skate shop and was funny as shit) ended up as his opening act.

fineslime

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 138
« Reply #303 on: September 22, 2023, 04:27:54 PM »

Jordan Jensen has been popping up on the adam friedland show and a few other bigger podcasts. didn't really know of her until last week or so, but decided to check this special out she released a few days ago.

it took me like 10 or so minutes to catch her vibe, but man, she's reeeeeally good on stage. definitely got her own thing going on. this one is worth a watch.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2023, 05:20:22 PM by fineslime »

AitchBeeGayBuh

• Rep: 60
« Reply #304 on: September 23, 2023, 04:35:30 AM »
Specials great, she’s still a rookie to comedy too. Wait until she really gets in her stride.

Rich Voss (The Legend) has a special coming out on Tuesday under the same platform and Kurt Metzgers came out a couple weeks ago if anyone are fans.

Gonna catch a couple shows with her and a whole lot of others at Skankfest Vegas next week, I can’t wait.

Bummer Vacation

• Rep: 12
« Reply #305 on: September 23, 2023, 03:16:09 PM »
That Gillis special was really good although it’s kind of freaky hearing someone talk so Philly on TV.

I guess there was some kind of schism in the Philly comedy scene when Shane was canceled from SNL and I had two skate friends on either side. The guy who stuck with Gillis (who worked at my old local skate shop and was funny as shit) ended up as his opening act.

Brian Six?

fineslime

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #306 on: September 25, 2023, 06:54:31 PM »

banger of an episode of kill tony going down right now. ric flair got way too drunk and ended up walking out of the show! wild shit!

matt_2993

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #307 on: September 25, 2023, 08:50:18 PM »

banger of an episode of kill tony going down right now. ric flair got way too drunk and ended up walking out of the show! wild shit!

Him falling asleep after the first guys set was amazing haha

Willie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 307
« Reply #308 on: September 26, 2023, 08:07:18 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Brian Six?

Yeah.

jamersonbass

• Rep: 70
« Reply #309 on: September 26, 2023, 11:41:56 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

This was such a shit show.  I normally work seconds on Monday, but had the chance to watch this go down live.  Holy shit..  Such a great lineup too, I mean wooooo.

fineslime

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #310 on: September 26, 2023, 12:09:03 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

This was such a shit show.  I normally work seconds on Monday, but had the chance to watch this go down live.  Holy shit..  Such a great lineup too, I mean wooooo.

Honestly, I'm glad Flair left and it seemed like everyone else was too. I had a feeling from the first time he spoke he wasn't going to stay the whole show. Dude was wasted. Him bringing up his son's overdose at A COMEDY SHOW was a real buzz kill.

I don't keep up with KT on the regular. I've been watching the show since it's infancy, but I have found that it has gotten terribly mean spirited over the last year or so. There's a fine line between roasting someone and being MEAN for mean's sake.

Bummer Vacation

• Rep: 12
« Reply #311 on: September 26, 2023, 12:21:34 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

Brian Six?
[close]

Yeah.

Shame about YFI. It was one of my favorite podcasts & I think Six was the funnier of the two.

straight

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 992
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #312 on: September 26, 2023, 04:37:43 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

Honestly, I'm glad Flair left and it seemed like everyone else was too. I had a feeling from the first time he spoke he wasn't going to stay the whole show. Dude was wasted. Him bringing up his son's overdose at A COMEDY SHOW was a real buzz kill.

I don't keep up with KT on the regular. I've been watching the show since it's infancy, but I have found that it has gotten terribly mean spirited over the last year or so. There's a fine line between roasting someone and being MEAN for mean's sake.

when the piano guy started playing the sad hulk song i ‘bout died
What kind of mikey taylor logic is this?

fineslime

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #313 on: September 26, 2023, 06:12:38 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

when the piano guy started playing the sad hulk song i ‘bout died

that was the nail in the coffin for Ric staying  ;D and it was the funniest thing that could have possibly been done in that moment.

matt_2993

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #314 on: October 08, 2023, 12:39:44 PM »
Tony Hinchcliffes show last night was really fuckin good. Like everyone says I haven't cared much for his specials but his live show was actually hilarious as hell. He's touring with William Montgomery, David Lucas and kam patterson too. I've gotten a little tired of them on kill tony but their sets were incredibly better than what you see on kt. William was probably the best out them which surprised me

fineslime

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #315 on: October 08, 2023, 01:04:31 PM »
Tony Hinchcliffes show last night was really fuckin good. Like everyone says I haven't cared much for his specials but his live show was actually hilarious as hell. He's touring with William Montgomery, David Lucas and kam patterson too. I've gotten a little tired of them on kill tony but their sets were incredibly better than what you see on kt. William was probably the best out them which surprised me

@matt_2993

that's rad that you got to see all those dudes on one show! a good friend of mine's favorite comic is William Montgomery. I don't really care much for David Lucas. I find him to be kind of one dimensional, but I haven't seen his act or a long set from him, and I haven't seen enough of Kam to say if I'm a fan or not. What was his act like?

There was a comedy festival going around about 10 years called Oddball, and I went to the Tampa date. I ended up meeting Jeff Ross and Tony after their sets. I told Tony that I loved KT (this was around the time that they first started the show,) and in Tony fashion he just goes, "thanks... it's my favorite thing to do," real sly, but he was very friendly and so was Jeff Ross.

Big Jay hosted the second stage and he was the highlight of the second stage, for sure. I was able to meet him after too, and again, he was just super cool and very gracious.

turdtastic

• Rep: 58
« Reply #316 on: October 08, 2023, 05:11:49 PM »
I’m not well versed in stand up comedy, but I’ve been watching some YouTube Troy Bond bits and him doing crowd work/owning hecklers. I enjoyed it.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1590
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #317 on: October 08, 2023, 09:55:40 PM »
I’m not well versed either but isn’t that something comics are mad at?  Comedy becoming too interactive and dependent on reels?

turdtastic

• Rep: 58
« Reply #318 on: October 09, 2023, 05:02:58 AM »
I’m not well versed either but isn’t that something comics are mad at?  Comedy becoming too interactive and dependent on reels?
I don’t know, maybe; but he’s pretty entertaining when doing so.

pugmaster

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1643
  • Overweight and Underprepared
« Reply #319 on: October 09, 2023, 12:08:52 PM »

Love this dude.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2023, 12:21:35 PM by pugmaster »
"...We got the nuclear worm over here..."

Never forget:
Rusty_Berrings, 360 frip, Yapple Dapple, Bubblegum Tate

Atiba Applebum

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 252
« Reply #320 on: October 09, 2023, 01:00:54 PM »

Love this dude.

Def deserved that giant cigar after the credits

Cubes for my boys (hope I didn’t misquote that)

jamersonbass

• Rep: 70
« Reply #321 on: October 09, 2023, 04:13:27 PM »
Expand Quote

Love this dude.
[close]

Def deserved that giant cigar after the credits

Cubes for my boys (hope I didn’t misquote that)

So good!  Couldn't believe his second to last joke.  Had me dying...

pugmaster

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1643
  • Overweight and Underprepared
« Reply #322 on: October 13, 2023, 09:07:44 PM »

Randomly came across this.
"...We got the nuclear worm over here..."

Never forget:
Rusty_Berrings, 360 frip, Yapple Dapple, Bubblegum Tate

brycickle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 167
« Reply #323 on: October 15, 2023, 03:06:45 PM »
Saw Shane Gillis last night. It was funny, but I was also really surprised at how much old material he used in the set.

You and the D00D have turned this thread into a horrible head-on-collision between a short bus full of regular kids and a van full of paraplegics.

igrindtwinkies

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 402
« Reply #324 on: October 15, 2023, 03:48:31 PM »
Saw Shane Gillis last night. It was funny, but I was also really surprised at how much old material he used in the set.

I thought about going down there for that, but I just got back from a long trip.  I usually go skate Sioux City once a year and I haven't made it down there this year.

matt_2993

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #325 on: October 15, 2023, 05:31:55 PM »

Oh shit I was there too. He stayed in the same hotel so got to meet him after the show and had way too many cigs with lemaire. Shit ruled

phillip dominguez

• Rep: 15
« Reply #326 on: October 16, 2023, 02:37:36 AM »

My wife got us tickets for Gillis at the local club in Baltimore, before his theater shows that he’s doing the weekend he’ll be here.  Not expecting much I’ve heard him say he only has like a solid 30 of new material.  He’s still funny as shit.

Two years ago we saw TJ Miller and I wasn’t expecting much, but he was hilarious, and I liked his new 30 minute special he put on YouTube a few weeks ago.

Had tickets to see Joe Derosa, back in October, but got the flu that weekend.  Heard he had good sets.

Also wanted to peep Ali Siddiq, but the price of the tickets for the basically dining room of a venue he’s playing in Baltimore made me pass.  Love his stuff though.

People are still dicey about Louis CK, my friend won tickets before his cancelled thing, we were 3rd row center at that show and one of the best I’ve ever seen.

Anyway guess I’m a basic comedy bitch now, just listen to YMH pods, Burr, Normand and Lists pods, Sickler’s is always entertaining, Bobby Kelly, etc.  Shit helps with my work commute and it is like therapy since I can’t skate as much as I want/how I want these days just because of work and getting older.

fineslime

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #327 on: October 17, 2023, 11:32:36 AM »

extremely moving episode of the honey dew where tom segura breaks down the death of his father, the years leading up to it, and how he has been after losing him. this ep will make you want to call your parents and tell them how much you love them.

fineslime

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #328 on: October 18, 2023, 04:31:08 AM »
damn that sounds hilarious dog

it actually is...

brycickle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 167
« Reply #329 on: October 18, 2023, 08:41:11 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Oh shit I was there too. He stayed in the same hotel so got to meet him after the show and had way too many cigs with lemaire. Shit ruled

The Notre Dame bit was fucking great, well, all of it was great, but of the new stuff, that one stood out.

You and the D00D have turned this thread into a horrible head-on-collision between a short bus full of regular kids and a van full of paraplegics.