Author Topic: Stand up comedy  (Read 20415 times)

Atiba Applebum

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 252
Re: Stand up comedy
« Reply #330 on: October 18, 2023, 11:31:52 PM »
New Beth Stelling Netflix special is pretty funny

matt_2993

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 227
« Reply #331 on: October 19, 2023, 06:19:58 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Saw Shane Gillis last night. It was funny, but I was also really surprised at how much old material he used in the set.
[close]

Oh shit I was there too. He stayed in the same hotel so got to meet him after the show and had way too many cigs with lemaire. Shit ruled
[close]

The Notre Dame bit was fucking great, well, all of it was great, but of the new stuff, that one stood out.

Oh yea the one leading to Cliff in the hotel room with the boys? Fuckin great haha but yea whole show was awesome I loved hearing him fuck around with jokes that sound far from ever landing on a future special

pugmaster

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1643
  • Overweight and Underprepared
« Reply #332 on: October 21, 2023, 10:21:43 PM »
"...We got the nuclear worm over here..."

Never forget:
Rusty_Berrings, 360 frip, Yapple Dapple, Bubblegum Tate

companguero

• Rep: 250
  • sesquipedalian
« Reply #333 on: October 22, 2023, 02:26:08 AM »

Quote from: lazer69
Bitch, I dont got time to be on here reading every post.

Skibb

• Rep: 68
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #334 on: October 23, 2023, 10:01:25 AM »
Anyone else a fan of Joe Pera?

« Last Edit: October 24, 2023, 02:28:02 AM by Skibb »

Abyss1

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 146
« Reply #335 on: October 23, 2023, 12:25:40 PM »

his special was surprisingly good, kind of hilarious that he had a huge crush on her and glad he didnt end up w Jada

companguero

• Rep: 250
  • sesquipedalian
« Reply #336 on: October 23, 2023, 09:14:20 PM »
This was a nice watch while stoned

Quote from: lazer69
Bitch, I dont got time to be on here reading every post.

pugmaster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #337 on: October 25, 2023, 12:20:51 AM »
I saw a YouTube short from Anthony Jeselnik on Joe Rogan's podcast and was unaware of an unreleased special.

It is not as great as his other specials, but it is definitely worth listening to. Allegedly, he performed this on September 9th and 10th before the tragedy occurred on September 11th. It is very dark, which explains why he/they decided to not release the special.

I'm a big fan of George Carlin and feel this special is interesting to view as it is an insight to his thought process of a comic as he became increasingly misanthropic at the end of his career.

Never forget:

pugmaster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #338 on: October 29, 2023, 11:24:45 AM »

Just using another opportunity to share Norm

Never forget:

pugmaster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #339 on: November 02, 2023, 10:49:32 PM »

Norm giving administration the business

Never forget:

who da thunk it

• Rep: -79
« Reply #340 on: November 04, 2023, 08:32:16 AM »
Saw Anthony Jeselnik and the power went out midway through his set. He ended up finishing on some backup amps after a 20 minute delay. Fucking great shit, a master at work. His opener Dina Hashem was very good, too.

Saw Sam Morrell also. He killed it but then went into some crowd work toward the end, and I fucking hate crowd work. Twenty minutes of hearing one half of a conversation, or if the audience member is talking loudly enough, a way too drawn out story/explanation of who gives a shit. Almost ruined the whole show.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #341 on: November 04, 2023, 08:58:44 AM »
Just learned Sam Morrill is Ansel Elgort’s cousin (he’s and actor and his father is an uber famous fashion photographer of the supermodel era)

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 871
« Reply #342 on: November 11, 2023, 07:32:56 AM »
Not stand up but some standups doing a talk show. This is probably their worst episode but it's funny how much Steve o seems like he's not into it. (Still some ok bits)

rukes

• Rep: 221
  • Yabba dabba doo
« Reply #343 on: November 12, 2023, 12:52:47 AM »
Was funny to see Steve O looking pretty uncomfortable through some of that
Is it true?  Or did you read it on the slap message board?

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #344 on: November 12, 2023, 01:01:39 AM »
Any aussies like Sam Campbell?    He’s on the UK Taskmaster wearing Ishod’s and I’ve seen him wearing Pass~Port in sets, so it seems like we might have another skater stand up

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 871
« Reply #345 on: November 12, 2023, 01:51:04 AM »
For me he's good in small amounts. There's a big amount of Aus comedy that's just like stupid/wierd for the sake of weird stuff I really have to be in the mood for to enjoy. I keep meaning to watch his full specials but never get around to it so would be unfair to judge too much.
 I've been wondering if he skated for a while I noticed the ishods on taskmaster and he did something in the last ep that made me think he def at least had some connection but now can't remember what it was.
I think passport is also just very involved in a lot of Australian, especially Sydney creative people. I think some older videos would have Donny Benet music and here's a clip that features Sam Campbell

at 4:50 he has a sketch with a character called Rhys Grogan. Rhys Grogan was a Sydney skater in the early 00s so I'm gonna guess Sam's connected to skating
« Last Edit: November 12, 2023, 03:24:04 AM by Mean salto »

Blue Fescue

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 305
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #346 on: November 13, 2023, 06:30:03 AM »
I saw Kyle Kinane recently and it was really good.  there isn't much opportunity in life to laugh for an hour straight so it is so much fun when it happens.

Billy Bitchcakes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 479
  • Q U I T E S T Y L I S H
« Reply #347 on: November 22, 2023, 12:51:02 PM »
Any aussies like Sam Campbell?    He’s on the UK Taskmaster wearing Ishod’s and I’ve seen him wearing Pass~Port in sets, so it seems like we might have another skater stand up
I saw him alongside Tim Key and Simon Amstell last month. Had never heard of him but he was definitely the funniest of the eve and a crowd favourite. I could see how it might not transfer over as well to TV but in person he was fucking hilarious
During sex to prevent myself from ejaculating I think about Osama Bin Laden running my dick through a sewing machine.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #348 on: November 22, 2023, 02:38:45 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
I saw him alongside Tim Key and Simon Amstell last month. Had never heard of him but he was definitely the funniest of the eve and a crowd favourite. I could see how it might not transfer over as well to TV but in person he was fucking hilarious

He’s soo good on Taskmaster I think and you can tell that the hosts love him.   Agree that the kind of comedians that show up on celebrity corner of 9 out of 10 cats do countdown (I’m American so no idea if that’s lame to watch hah) might be Best in small doses

Notices Sam wearing that Electrical shirt from the Pass-Port sitcom/fake doc they’ve done a few eps of

AsianVegan

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 101
« Reply #349 on: November 23, 2023, 03:05:19 PM »
I saw him at this year's Melbourne Festival and he was a standout, he was wearing the same Redfern Electrical shirt, haha.

fineslime

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 138
« Reply #350 on: November 25, 2023, 12:05:16 PM »

about 10 mins in and Breuer starts off by going HARD! I have to step out for work but plan on finishing this tonight.

phillip dominguez

• Rep: 15
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #351 on: November 25, 2023, 11:40:04 PM »
Saw Drew Lynch with my wife, wasn’t expecting much, he killed.

Just watched Chad Daniels new special Mixed Reviews.

Thoroughly enjoyed it.

Billy Bitchcakes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 479
  • Q U I T E S T Y L I S H
« Reply #352 on: November 26, 2023, 05:41:07 AM »

about 10 mins in and Breuer starts off by going HARD! I have to step out for work but plan on finishing this tonight.

This guy is Rosanne Barr levels of stand up. Dude doesn't even tell any jokes, he just shouts talking points that the audience like in a funny voice while they clap along like seals

During sex to prevent myself from ejaculating I think about Osama Bin Laden running my dick through a sewing machine.

ungzilla

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 993
« Reply #353 on: November 26, 2023, 02:20:36 PM »
can't wait to check out the dog brained q-anon guy make hilarious adrenochrome jokez

pugmaster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #354 on: November 26, 2023, 05:35:07 PM »
Good lord that was so bad. I watched a couple minutes and skipped around. The only funny thing I saw was him trying to roast science and the scientific method only to show how little he understands of both.

Never forget:

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #355 on: November 26, 2023, 06:13:38 PM »
I love that Adam McKay hated Breuer and basically iced him out of SNL when he took over the head writer job bc of how unfunny he thought JB was

fineslime

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #356 on: November 29, 2023, 07:41:13 AM »
just started Steve-O's new special The Bucket List - been waiting to see this one for a while. it's supposed to be gnaaaaarly.

Pals, Mention if you want to link up...

fineslime

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #357 on: November 29, 2023, 07:42:07 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

This guy is Rosanne Barr levels of stand up. Dude doesn't even tell any jokes, he just shouts talking points that the audience like in a funny voice while they clap along like seals

tbh, I didn't watch any more of the special. he just holds a soft spot for me from his SNL days and Half Baked.

Jehoshaphat Augustus

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 296
« Reply #358 on: November 29, 2023, 08:11:32 AM »
Not to be all Al Madrigal but does Steve-o's comedy consist of jokes or is it him doing on-stage antics and recalling the times he horked an earthworm ?

I once asked a coworker where the best food was in the town and he said "Panda Express" and I feel similar apprehension anytime I ask people (people I don't know) if the comedy they appreciate would be the comedy that I appreciate. props to @fineslime for ye bravery

fineslime

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #359 on: November 29, 2023, 08:19:33 AM »
Not to be all Al Madrigal but does Steve-o's comedy consist of jokes or is it him doing on-stage antics and recalling the times he horked an earthworm ?

I once asked a coworker where the best food was in the town and he said "Panda Express" and I feel similar apprehension anytime I ask people (people I don't know) if the comedy they appreciate would be the comedy that I appreciate. props to @fineslime for ye bravery

he's not doing traditional stand up, no, but he's also not doing stunts on stage. this special is basically him introing bits he filmed. some solid laughs so far and there's a definite shock factor to it. I'm halfway through and the bits are getting pretty fookin' gnarly. people passing out during the show. basically what you'd expect from Steve-O.

check your PM.