Author Topic: Tell Us About Your Last Skate Session  (Read 67914 times)

Candied cigarettes

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 244
Re: Tell Us About Your Last Skate Session
« Reply #570 on: February 22, 2022, 07:57:02 AM »
This weekend I went to SF for the first time, so our final day we went up to Fort Miley. I wasn’t skating at my peak because I was so tired but it was so cool. My favorite spot was this brick transition by the 24th and mission BART stop. Totally out of my wheelhouse so I started with no expectations and managed to land a front crook stall to fakie.

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 710
« Reply #571 on: February 22, 2022, 01:03:33 PM »
I found out I can skate the parking lot next to my apartment at night as it gets enough light from the adjacent football pitch and for rainy days I found a no bust flat only underground parking lot nearby. This is a game changer because it means I can get in a quick session almost every night after work, 30 - 40 minutes going through all tricks and try a few new ones. It‘s intense and helps me get more consistent. Tonight I had such a session.
why come?

Life is too short to be angry at the Shrimp Blunt intro

realbasedgod112

• Rep: 80
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #572 on: February 27, 2022, 03:54:19 PM »
The session in terms of my own skating was uneventful, but trick talk isn't what this thread is made for anyway.
I managed to get in touch with a homie I rarely skate with anymore, and we met at the park. It was the most mild day in recent history and thus horribly crowded, so we promptly left.
On the prowl for previously undiscovered street spots, we found ourselves in a glass-smooth car park built outside a new electronics store (not the phone kind, the security cameras and assorted electrical doodads kind). The spot itself was barebones, which simply allowed our imaginations to flow. Quickly, I set my brain to some Matt Tomasello shit.
There was a quite terrible wallie 'spot' that may have been useful to anyone more skilled, but not us. The homie and I grew tired of bashing our boards into the wall to no avail, when I set my eyes on a pile of plywood covered wooden pallets, forgotten in the corner. I set it against the wall, and immediately the possibilities began flowing.
I shredded in my own sketchy way, but my apelike gait did not diminish the insane amounts of fun that were had.

Some time into the assault on the pallet, the homie's board went flying out of the parking lot through the street. (The parking lot has a driveway perpendicular to the wall that leads directly into the street, which is in turn perpendicular to the driveway.) The board narrowly missed a car, and we took it as a sign to leave the spot alone.

FIN.
y’all not fuckin with what i’m fuckin with

Mark Renton

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 288
  • Choose life.
« Reply #573 on: February 27, 2022, 04:02:07 PM »
Double heel bruise.

This stuff haunts you it’s still painful now when I skate. It comes up randomly at a certain time during the sesh. Nightmare.
video tape yourself saving monks. dont just do it. make sure its caught on film.

layzieyez

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1503
  • Illusion Flip
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #574 on: February 27, 2022, 04:46:10 PM »
Expand Quote
Double heel bruise.
[close]

This stuff haunts you it’s still painful now when I skate. It comes up randomly at a certain time during the sesh. Nightmare.
The only time I got a double heel bruise, it was a blessing in disguise. I was 18 and had managed to sprain both ankles but insisted on continuing to skate while wearing an ankle brace on each. Each session was just skating until I would resprain an ankle because I was so stubborn.

I got drunk at a party and jumped down eight stairs to greet one of my friends resulting in bruised heels. I was in college and still had to make it to classes the next day which was comical. The time off my board let my ankles finally have time to heal.

Paco Supreme

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 555
  • One Trick Pony
« Reply #575 on: February 27, 2022, 05:11:33 PM »
40 minutes of fun

On a whim I walked past my weekend spot coming home from work, i spotted some of the guys who I bump into there semi recently, dragging a diy curb/ledge to the spot.

I stopped to help push the thing into place, one of the guys mentioned he was going to bring down a small quarter if I was coming back with my board.

It took me forever to get back but I got three runs on the qp and some solid flat ground

Legs are killing me a few days after

tom

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1008
  • the moon rules
« Reply #576 on: February 27, 2022, 07:26:44 PM »
I rolled my ankle two nights ago. Missed out on a good skate day yesterday. I did a few painful frontside grinds today just to get out of the house on a nice day
fuck you bama

Doosh215

• Rep: 61
« Reply #577 on: February 27, 2022, 08:38:26 PM »
I was warming up on a pretty small flat bar and I slipped out and my leg went awkwardly behind me. All of my weight rolled over it and I broke my leg. Such a weird freak thing. Had to get surgery and even with insurance cost me like $5k. Really sucks but shit happens. Hope to start pushing around again toward the end of April and will hopefully be 100% end of May or early June.

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #578 on: February 27, 2022, 10:43:32 PM »
I was warming up on a pretty small flat bar and I slipped out and my leg went awkwardly behind me. All of my weight rolled over it and I broke my leg. Such a weird freak thing. Had to get surgery and even with insurance cost me like $5k. Really sucks but shit happens. Hope to start pushing around again toward the end of April and will hopefully be 100% end of May or early June.

That sucks, get well soon.

I spent Sunday afternoon slappying a virgin curb. The Lurpivs are now well worn in. I wanted to learn slappy crooks too but have no clue how to do them. Oh and I rolled away from a kickflip, heelflip, fakie heel in a row. A first for me.
why come?

d00000000000000000000000d

• Rep: -2
« Reply #579 on: February 27, 2022, 10:53:57 PM »
I relocated about 45 min away from my hometown about 4 years ago... I was used to skating a plethora of spots and parks just a hiccup away. The type of spots you'd see in the best homie videos, and even some major board brand films. I put some time aside to make the very small pilgrimage to one of my favorite parks on a beautiful autumn day. I roll in, try to warm up a bit and get a feel of thee ol' sea legs. I'm terribly out of shape, but if I can pull a backside board I'll go home happy and ego boosted.

I'm already winded from the 10 minutes of pushing around and take solace on the serenely smooth pavement towards the top of the park. I am embarrassed by the amount of the sweat already beginning to take form on my person for such a trifle effort when a local takes notice and mutters, "New shoes AND a new setup? Sheeeeeeeesh....". I take inventory, pep myself up for a front 5-0 on the nearest bank only to bail before a slurry of new blood on scooters and mini-decks. I make my way towards the parking lot and leave not only defeated, but surprised at the amount of social anxiety I have accumulated during my time away from thy beloved chillerz paradise.

I make the trip home, watch a nine club interview whilst enjoying my post-game beverage, and fade away into self induced obscurity.

big_kev_215

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 764
« Reply #580 on: February 28, 2022, 12:47:10 AM »
skated a weird DIY in delaware. managed to time it between the 9am dad crew and the 3pm locals skate the ledge crew so i got some stuff done.

This delicate timing ritual dominates my weekly skating routine.  Very relatable.

cky enthusiast

« Reply #581 on: February 28, 2022, 05:26:29 AM »
Expand Quote
skated a weird DIY in delaware. managed to time it between the 9am dad crew and the 3pm locals skate the ledge crew so i got some stuff done.
[close]

mid atlantic skateboarding: all about timing
This delicate timing ritual dominates my weekly skating routine.  Very relatable.

PuffinMuffin

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1443
« Reply #582 on: February 28, 2022, 07:25:11 AM »
Skinned both ankles again. Accidentally punched the ground while falling. Woke up with a purple ass cheek and a really sore hand. Have to type all day, this is going to be a struggle.
i’m 80% skateboarder 20% atlantic puffin enthusiast

the_sadness

• Rep: 0
« Reply #583 on: February 28, 2022, 07:37:14 AM »
Went out and skated with a friend of mine for the first time in about 3-4 years. It felt really good! I was still able to land most of the tricks I was able to do years ago and attempted to try a few new ones too. Did make me realize I need a new setup though. I borrowed my friends 8.5 board with much looser trucks than I am used to and I think that will be the direction I go when I purchase a new board.

nitro89

• Rep: 88
« Reply #584 on: February 28, 2022, 07:44:20 AM »
windy! for the 5th weekend in a row!

wouldn't mind if there was lights at the local but there isn't, so no midweek sessions until the evenings get lighter again.

weekends are the only option for a skate atm but relying on the British weather in the winter/early spring sucks. nearest indoors an hour drive away but that's 20 bucks entry plus the petrol on top so that isn't a viable thing to do regularly unless you got a car full to bring the costs down.

'British weathers dark 7 months of the year, the feel good factors not reaching here.'

springs around the corner tho, gotta find those positives!
"Skateboarding doesn't owe you shit. It owes you wheelbite in the rain" - Jake Phelps"

lamfordie

• Trade Count: (-1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 316
« Reply #585 on: February 28, 2022, 09:41:56 AM »
I have been thinking of trying this kickflip front 50 to fire cracker on this ledge off stairs for like the past week. Yesterday I went to spot to try it out. It was windy so there was a bunch of little leaves with some ball inside so I kept getting stuck on them rolling up to the ledge. I havent kickflip front 50 in a while and my board is a lil wider than I usually ride. (Usually skate an 8.25 but accidentally ordered an 8.5). I was surpringly getting into the trick but the scary part was the fire cracker down the set. Somehow it didnt take too long and I filmed it. Sadly I didnt get the roll away so I did it again. Took longer this time but it came out pretty sick. Stoked I got this trick since its been in my head all week. Might want to try to flip 5-0 it next time.

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CafonMdPTEc/?utm_medium=copy_link
« Last Edit: February 28, 2022, 09:50:01 AM by lamfordie »

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #586 on: February 28, 2022, 12:55:36 PM »
I have been thinking of trying this kickflip front 50 to fire cracker on this ledge off stairs for like the past week. Yesterday I went to spot to try it out. It was windy so there was a bunch of little leaves with some ball inside so I kept getting stuck on them rolling up to the ledge. I havent kickflip front 50 in a while and my board is a lil wider than I usually ride. (Usually skate an 8.25 but accidentally ordered an 8.5). I was surpringly getting into the trick but the scary part was the fire cracker down the set. Somehow it didnt take too long and I filmed it. Sadly I didnt get the roll away so I did it again. Took longer this time but it came out pretty sick. Stoked I got this trick since its been in my head all week. Might want to try to flip 5-0 it next time.

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CafonMdPTEc/?utm_medium=copy_link

Yes bro so dope! I could do kickflip front 50s back in the day but since my comeback I haven‘t had the balls to even try one… yet. Yours was really clean and that ledge was no joke but the firecracker is the cherry on top!
why come?

PuffinMuffin

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #587 on: March 01, 2022, 08:22:13 AM »
You know how in Rocky he prepares for the fight by punching sides of raw beef? Well, yesterday it was as cold as that meat locker he was in. So I wore a cute fuzzy hat with long tassels and practiced backside tailslides on a curb. I accidentally swallowed a tassel that went down my throat and puked up a bit. Nasty taste, so I called it quits and skated home.  :-\

Lifer

• Rep: 74
« Reply #588 on: March 06, 2022, 06:53:13 AM »
Went street skating in the hopes of maybe filming something with a homie. This was the first time hitting some different spots in awhile outside of the usual parking lot & skateparks. I quickly realized how limited my bag of tricks are especially on ledges & felt like I really have no business trying to film anything at the moment. Sort of humbling experience

beandemon

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 181
« Reply #589 on: March 06, 2022, 08:09:20 AM »
You know how in Rocky he prepares for the fight by punching sides of raw beef? Well, yesterday it was as cold as that meat locker he was in. So I wore a cute fuzzy hat with long tassels and practiced backside tailslides on a curb. I accidentally swallowed a tassel that went down my throat and puked up a bit. Nasty taste, so I called it quits and skated home.  :-\

lolz. Last couple session PM reports are total bad news bears.

I quit  doing just carve grinds and skated the top of the coping for a change. Weird what tricks stayed and which went.

lazer69

• Rep: -96
« Reply #590 on: March 06, 2022, 04:47:05 PM »
Not in pain but it feels like my knees don't have energy and spring to attempt most tricks besides front noses, tre flips, and crooked grinds. I'll think about trying a trick, roll up, bend knees, then just nah, abort.

I'm 30 but a big guy. Skating feels way dif than it did not too long ago. With that said weather was great in Chicago went to the huge skate plaza and did a bunch of fs nose to fakie, some 5-0s, tre flips and drank and smoked. First time skating outside in over 3 months

TheLurper

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 659
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #591 on: March 06, 2022, 06:33:45 PM »
My last session was actually really fun.

It was kind of normal/sucky when there were a few "cool" kids there. One kid was younger and really good, but a total douche. Like, sucked the air right out of the park. There were a couple older dudes who were pretty damn good and relatively nice, but the interactions were awkward.

Once they all left, it is was so much fun. It was me (old dude), two dudes in their early 20s who were pretty good, one younger skater who had tons of energy and a few other random people of varying skill levels.

As soon as the "cool" dudes left, the atmosphere completely changed. Everyone was way more talkative, everyone was louder in their support of one another, and people were less afraid to try their tricks. Everyone had fun, no one was trying to be cool, and everyone supported one another.

One person learned fly outs and had a fucking blast doing it (I can't remember the last time I had that much fun), the two kids in their twenties did some gnarly stuff around the park, and I relearned a trick on a ledge with the worst coping ever. The kids in their twenties supported my tries on the ledge, tried to do doubles with me a few times, and then cheered pretty hard for me when I finally got the trick.

It was really fun.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2022, 07:43:38 PM by TheLurper »

Quote from: ChuckRamone
I love when people bring up world hunger. It makes everything meaningless.
"That guy is double parked."
"Who cares? There are people starving to death! Besides, how does that affect you? Does it lessen the joy of parking?

TheLowerBack

• Rep: 174
  • GTU/FWD
« Reply #592 on: March 07, 2022, 10:28:12 AM »
Yesterday I waited for it to get warm enough to skate. By that time it was nearly noon. I usually avoid my local skatepark (Glenhaven PDX) during peak hours but it was still pretty quiet when I got there. I got a solid hour in and landed most of my stock moves. Then a little dude shows up. He's probably around 11. He has Gator deck and a Sex Pistols t-shirt. Immediately, I wonder what he really knows about Gator and the Sex Pistols and question his dad's poor taste. Anyway he comes up to me and asks if I have ever rolled into the shallow end of the pool (pretty legit pool transitions). I say, "Yeah" And he says, "I'm gonna do it today." I haven't done it in awhile and honestly have been hiding from it... So we amp each other up and we both make it second try. Then the park got busy so I bailed for my new curb spot. I started getting some nice backside 180 powerslides into fakie 50 50s and decided why not try something out. After two tries I landed a fakie big spin out of one. Felt pretty satisfied and went home to walk the dog.
Where’s the new curb spot? I recently bought a house out by Rockwood and trying to find more spots out there.

Wizard Fight

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -191
« Reply #593 on: March 07, 2022, 11:05:11 AM »
Snapped my tail doing a no comply off a curb. It was the third board I broke this week, all tail snaps. I am feeling pretty discouraged.

blakeyjoe_

• Rep: -3
« Reply #594 on: March 07, 2022, 11:14:25 AM »
Took my puppy to the DIY spot and cruised around while she chased me.
people like you need to be banned from skate parks

Justis

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 243
  • illinoying
« Reply #595 on: March 07, 2022, 06:06:46 PM »
Skated around the block while walking my dog

Phillyflared

• Rep: 40
« Reply #596 on: March 07, 2022, 07:57:35 PM »
spent about an hour at my curb spot. ended up being a good time even though i was sore and tired.
worked on standing on my slappy noseslides and pushing slappy's a bit further and faster
even made the board flip

PuffinMuffin

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #597 on: March 07, 2022, 08:10:24 PM »
Really fucking windy, boosted a bunch of ollies on the bumps. Was working on a backside nosegrind pop-outs. Haven't landed one in years. Got sick of not landing it and ended up just bs nose grinding the whole ledge, felt great, but not what I had in mind.  :-\ I will get my satisfaction one of these days.

planman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 389
  • Morpheus drinking a 40 in a death basket
« Reply #598 on: March 07, 2022, 11:10:00 PM »
Chill sesh, went with my roommate and another homie, linked up with two more homies, another homie came, a bunch of other homies who knew me but not my homies showed up by surprise. Nicest Saturday so far this year and the first one I've had off in a *long* time. Sunny and nice :) Learned half cab 5-0s on curbs and failed to pop out of a frontside hurricane on one. Good times, can't wait for spring.

I saw your mom do a ollie to cooch drop straight down the big black pole, it was gnarly. she defiantly shut that shit down

Skatebeard

• Rep: 130
« Reply #599 on: March 08, 2022, 05:42:48 AM »
Heelflip obsession back in full swing, had a nice little flip session generally and worked on some basics just to get my legs going after 4 days of walking up and down Edinburgh with the missus. Seem to be landing 8 out of 10 regs heels now, with a few really nice ones sprinkled in. Years ago I had doubles but haven't managed to land any since I started again, need to have a go at those just for a lark.

Swore off halfcab flips for a while to help my knee recovery but couldn't resist ending the session on one, came in three tries after not doing any for 3 weeks, i'll take that.

Need to start working on some new stuff soon but really haven't been feeling confident in my knee... i pretty much picked all the low hanging fruit last year so need to step up to the next level flatground wise if I want to get some new learns.