Author Topic: Tell Us About Your Last Skate Session  (Read 66515 times)

GrayCellGreen

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 299
Re: Tell Us About Your Last Skate Session
« Reply #1170 on: April 06, 2023, 02:14:01 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Thanks for taking the time to reply. I can get into the trick correctly but mostly immediately after the back truck hits the ledge or after a few inches of grinding I shift my weight unconsciously  and get down to 50 50 the rest of the ledge. This happens no matter how hard I try to „sit“ on the back truck. Sometimes I get a nice 5-0 but I don‘t even know what I did differently on those.
[close]

Have you tried tail-scraping the 5-0 to really get a feel for shifting the weight to the back foot? Sometimes when I'm warming up 5-0s, I will do a few with a full tail scrape, then try to make them more balanced on just the back truck.

As far as mental "cues" go, I just try to ollie like a normal 50-50, then bias all my weight onto the back foot and "heel lock" my back wheel into the ledge.
[close]

Heel lock you say... hmm...

Have you tried doing a 180 out on one of the 5-0s that you lock into? I wonder if that would help you get around the tendency to lean forward and put your front truck back on the ledge. I say give it a few tries during your next sesh and see if it helps. 

mfweeno

• Rep: 36
« Reply #1171 on: April 06, 2023, 02:19:31 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Thanks for taking the time to reply. I can get into the trick correctly but mostly immediately after the back truck hits the ledge or after a few inches of grinding I shift my weight unconsciously  and get down to 50 50 the rest of the ledge. This happens no matter how hard I try to „sit“ on the back truck. Sometimes I get a nice 5-0 but I don‘t even know what I did differently on those.
[close]

Have you tried tail-scraping the 5-0 to really get a feel for shifting the weight to the back foot? Sometimes when I'm warming up 5-0s, I will do a few with a full tail scrape, then try to make them more balanced on just the back truck.

As far as mental "cues" go, I just try to ollie like a normal 50-50, then bias all my weight onto the back foot and "heel lock" my back wheel into the ledge.
[close]

Heel lock you say... hmm...
Maybe "heel lock" is a misnomer.

You don't want to push through your heel necessarily, but you want to create pressure in the middle of the back foot so that the back wheel closest to your heel side is locked into the ledge. I'm probably going skating tomorrow morning, so I may do a few front 5-0s and assess what I'm doing to give a clearer explanation.

cky enthusiast

« Reply #1172 on: April 06, 2023, 02:20:49 PM »
pop a 50 but do a manual

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 710
« Reply #1173 on: April 06, 2023, 02:26:50 PM »
Cheers lads, I sincerely appreciate the help.
why come?

Life is too short to be angry at the Shrimp Blunt intro

mfweeno

« Reply #1174 on: April 07, 2023, 07:02:01 AM »
[/quot
I did a few front 5-0 180 outs this morning and tried to think about my technique when getting on the ledge.

I really try to aim my back mid-foot down on the ledge to aim my tail. The mid-foot aim point tends to help me get the rear heel-side wheel to sit flush with the ledge. I don't think "rocket ollie" is a good mindset for achieving this - I just try to do a fairly normal ollie with a little more back-seat emphasis.

I always intend to "tail scrape" it, but eventually you'll find a sweet spot where you can manual it without scraping so much. It's a bit of trial and error but always keep the focus on the back foot.

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1175 on: April 07, 2023, 02:41:45 PM »
Expand Quote
[/quot
I did a few front 5-0 180 outs this morning and tried to think about my technique when getting on the ledge.

I really try to aim my back mid-foot down on the ledge to aim my tail. The mid-foot aim point tends to help me get the rear heel-side wheel to sit flush with the ledge. I don't think "rocket ollie" is a good mindset for achieving this - I just try to do a fairly normal ollie with a little more back-seat emphasis.

I always intend to "tail scrape" it, but eventually you'll find a sweet spot where you can manual it without scraping so much. It's a bit of trial and error but always keep the focus on the back foot.
[close]

I‘ll try a few tomorrow and will try to apply that technique.
why come?

FUBAR

• Rep: 247
« Reply #1176 on: April 07, 2023, 04:32:15 PM »
Ate crap on a fs 50. Now I hurt. Got a few good ones before the slam though.

Mount St. Hermdog

• Rep: 8
« Reply #1177 on: April 07, 2023, 05:08:42 PM »
ngl I was hotdoggin a little there

mfweeno

« Reply #1178 on: April 07, 2023, 05:53:45 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[/quot

[close]

[close]
Good luck! Hope it goes well.

somedudefromnj

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 78
« Reply #1179 on: April 07, 2023, 06:03:21 PM »
been having a rough one out there lately. Pretty much go to my curb spot everyday and just do a bunch of fifties, but eventually try and get some of my old flatground tricks back. Go to was switch hardflips many moons ago, but now they are completely removed from my muscle memory.

Been trying to learn slappy switch crooks as my friend says theyre pretty much a noseslide, and got into a few but always end up popping out after a second and into a boardslide. Better luck next time.

Would be grateful for tips on those, regular crooks, and noseslides

May just switch stances

Lol. Eldee is definitely a human. He’s like a raider on horse back who’s kinda scared to do battle. Somehow he closes his eyes and swings his sword wildly and wakes up in a pile of dead orcs.

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1180 on: April 07, 2023, 09:41:48 PM »
been having a rough one out there lately. Pretty much go to my curb spot everyday and just do a bunch of fifties, but eventually try and get some of my old flatground tricks back. Go to was switch hardflips many moons ago, but now they are completely removed from my muscle memory.

Been trying to learn slappy switch crooks as my friend says theyre pretty much a noseslide, and got into a few but always end up popping out after a second and into a boardslide. Better luck next time.

May just switch stances

Regular bs drooks, roll up fast, parallel, then carve into the curb and stomp the front foot on the curb as you get onto it. Front foot is disgonally in the nose pocket. Ball of the backfoot for me has to be in the back heel (!) pocket to get the leverage to pop/turn out to regular.

Fs works the same but mirrored (i.e. backfoot is in heel pocket) but I am not good at them so I might do them wrong.

I need a slanted curb for them too, at least ever so slightly.

Bs crooks come extremely easy, look good and are so much fun.
why come?

fs1/2cab

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 634
    • a short part avatar image
« Reply #1181 on: April 08, 2023, 03:40:58 AM »
Yesterday at the Ikea parking lot. I still feel sick, now the cold is in it's 10th week and that is really annoying. Still went out to skate because I need that for my mental health. Didn't have that much energy and I was totally toast after 3 hours. Did Kickflips, Heelflips and Fs Shuvs for an hour because I wanted one of each that felt great. And filmed a bs slappy back 180 out which I haven't done in a while so that was cool.
IG: @flowterspace

Hubba Bo-Tep

• Rep: 43
« Reply #1182 on: April 08, 2023, 03:45:45 AM »
3 old man morning sessions in Barcelona.  Macba, Picnic and Born Plaza.  All amazing but my favourite thing was actually skating street again for the first time in decades.  Can't beat that shit.  I'm back home now and going for a sesh later on but the thought of being confined to a park just doesn't bring the stoke as much as skating from one spot to another does.

Terminal

« Reply #1183 on: April 08, 2023, 03:53:40 AM »
Good. Made significant progress on fs grinds to fakie on a tight transition. Had them on lock 20+ years ago, even remember the very last one I did (arguably the best one too). The transition I'm working on doesn't have coping though, and never done one on something without coping, so will be interesting next session whether I hang up when I start committing to them...

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1184 on: April 08, 2023, 10:30:00 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[/quot

[close]

[close]
[close]

Bruh, focusing on that back foot heel lock in really got me close to getting a few nice ones. I missed the ledge tho, rolled on top of it for a few inches until I locked in but I feel I am getting there.
why come?

somedudefromnj

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 78
« Reply #1185 on: April 08, 2023, 10:34:14 AM »
Expand Quote

May just switch stances
[close]

Regular bs drooks, roll up fast, parallel, then carve into the curb and stomp the front foot on the curb as you get onto it. Front foot is disgonally in the nose pocket. Ball of the backfoot for me has to be in the back heel (!) pocket to get the leverage to pop/turn out to regular.

Fs works the same but mirrored (i.e. backfoot is in heel pocket) but I am not good at them so I might do them wrong.

I need a slanted curb for them too, at least ever so slightly.

Bs crooks come extremely easy, look good and are so much fun.

Thanks homie! Hoping to try this today

Lol. Eldee is definitely a human. He’s like a raider on horse back who’s kinda scared to do battle. Somehow he closes his eyes and swings his sword wildly and wakes up in a pile of dead orcs.

Tommy G

• Rep: -11
« Reply #1186 on: April 08, 2023, 07:18:12 PM »
My last few sessions have been pretty good. I've been going down to a prefab park about 30 miles away to practice some of my tricks and it's been a big booster to my confidence in my skating. The first sesh I pushed myself to skate the taller ledge and I got a 50-50 180 and crooks on it. I skated a little transition and the hip. Last week I came back and skated the small ledge with a few tricks I'm not as good at and got a nollie 50-50 and even learned front noseslides. I want to keep with those soon because they're a lot of fun once you get locked in and I feel like there's a lot of potential for spots and possibly even front crooks in the future.

switchfakie

« Reply #1187 on: April 08, 2023, 08:34:58 PM »
skated today while having sore throat/covid

just did quarter pipe tricks for the most part

my back disasters are really feeling good on big tranny again - for the last 3 years they been major poopy because i started skating tiny quarterpips and you just cant get a good scoop unless you force it

couldnt land a crook on a tiny ledge and called it a day because if i cant land my goto's its just not worth forcing it

mfweeno

« Reply #1188 on: April 09, 2023, 11:10:42 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]
[close]

Bruh, focusing on that back foot heel lock in really got me close to getting a few nice ones. I missed the ledge tho, rolled on top of it for a few inches until I locked in but I feel I am getting there.
Hell yeah! Glad to hear it helped. I tend to miss on/over the top of the ledge when I miss as well, so that is probably a good indicator that your aim is more consistent now.

Edit: I did go skate today as well. Went to the park around 7:45 am. Last time I skated same park (mentioned above lol) I did some Front 5-0 180s on this gap-in ledge that goes over a manny pad. You basically have to ollie up a small 2 stair to get into the ledge. Today I decided to go for 5-0 Front shuv. Good hour battle. Landed 4-5 sketchy ones, then finally squeezed out a good make. Satisfying way to start off what has been a very lazy Sunday.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2023, 11:19:23 AM by mfweeno »

Logic

• Rep: 35
« Reply #1189 on: April 09, 2023, 12:26:21 PM »
Managed to get four days off work and planned to skate for most it, within the first hour landed primo doing a varial kickflip and can now barely even walk from where my foot landed on the board. Just my luck.

sle_epy

• Rep: -95
« Reply #1190 on: April 09, 2023, 06:20:11 PM »
Decided to randomly stop and skate as the sun was going down at my local, but I wasn't in my skate clothes or skate shoes (baggys and accel ogs). I said fuck it and started skating in my skinny jeans and vans non skate shoes anyway and proceeded to give my naked ankle the worst shark bite I've ever had within two minutes. Happy Easter.
eau de toilette: Sk8IQ by Sle_epy

brainwobble

• Rep: 0
« Reply #1191 on: April 09, 2023, 06:24:57 PM »
tried backside D's on a little steep quarter but all i got was a D in my backside  :(

vinithebr

• Rep: -19
« Reply #1192 on: April 09, 2023, 07:13:35 PM »
Just figured out proper fs flips, I'm in heaven

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1193 on: April 09, 2023, 10:26:34 PM »

Stoked for you (and jealous). Now you have to tell us how to do them. ;)
why come?

vinithebr

« Reply #1194 on: April 09, 2023, 11:31:45 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Ty. You know tricks that land far to the side like tre's, it helped me a lot to heavily lean/jump to where it lands, like towards the nose of the board when it's mid trick, feels easier to follow and feel the nose to flick it, I do this for inward heels too.
Other than that I  just needed to try harder. Front foot almost pointing forward, more body spin and  fs pop shuv motion, and that feel of delay before flicking (and down'ish).
Front foot still stops a bit of the nose momentum but the tail goes around

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1195 on: April 10, 2023, 12:07:52 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Ty. You know tricks that land far to the side like tre's, it helped me a lot to heavily lean/jump to where it lands, like towards the nose of the board when it's mid trick, feels easier to follow and feel the nose to flick it, I do this for inward heels too.
Other than that I  just needed to try harder. Front foot almost pointing forward, more body spin and  fs pop shuv motion, and that feel of delay before flicking (and down'ish).

Where is your front foot, close to bolts like for kickflips or further down the mid section?
why come?

vinithebr

« Reply #1196 on: April 10, 2023, 06:38:57 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

Where is your front foot, close to bolts like for kickflips or further down the mid section?

At first it was right on the middle, it worked and it felt like I was flicking off that bump before the nose, but then I started moving it up a bit and it felt better, but it was still a few inches away from touching bolts

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 182
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #1197 on: April 10, 2023, 07:33:13 AM »
Got a quick little sesh in after my sons skate class at my local DIY, first roll in 3 weeks! Got some shit back that’s been doing my head in for a bit, just scared to commit (but I could do it in my mind), glad I gave it a shot.

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

mooraga

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -32
« Reply #1198 on: April 10, 2023, 09:52:08 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

At first it was right on the middle, it worked and it felt like I was flicking off that bump before the nose, but then I started moving it up a bit and it felt better, but it was still a few inches away from touching bolts

Nodoby asked me but Im still gonna opinion on this:
It took me a while to land them cause I could never do the Muska version as a youngster.
A few years ago I figured to not think of them as a fs flip (full 180°), instead in my head Im doing for a 90° kickflip (with some extra pop like Im jumping over something), try to catch it mid air and keep rotating the next 90° or so degrees... or pivoting sometimes in flat ground.

My front feet goes a little behind the 2 back bolts from the nose, I normally step on them for a regular kickflip. Back foot goes into the corner but the most crucial thing its to already have your shoulders open while you pop: you're halfway the trick so as soon as you catch the board in the air you just have to keep rotating those last 90°. As i said; they are, somehow, particularly easier for my mind if I only focus on doing a "big 90° kickflip", maybe this could help someone.

Now about my last session:
I had to go to the local skatepark Ive always hated; its one of those early 2000 parks where everything its huge (THPS design in mind), lots of space and $ wasted, unmaintained and as you would expect: it doesn't have any basic box or manual pad in sight.
Got there at 9 am, no one around, amazing time to warm up, stretch and land a few interesting tricks (even 2 fs flips and a nollie fs 360 aka nolliecab on a hip). By 11 am it was fully packed of roller skaters on every quarter pipe waxing any piece of coping visible. Dudes are organized on turning a fucked up old park into a slip and slide so I took my shit and went back home to play with my kids instead :)

sle_epy

• Rep: -95
« Reply #1199 on: April 10, 2023, 10:04:49 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Nodoby asked me but Im still gonna opinion on this:
It took me a while to land them cause I could never do the Muska version as a youngster.
A few years ago I figured to not think of them as a fs flip (full 180°), instead in my head Im doing for a 90° kickflip (with some extra pop like Im jumping over something), try to catch it mid air and keep rotating the next 90° or so degrees... or pivoting sometimes in flat ground.

My front feet goes a little behind the 2 back bolts from the nose, I normally step on them for a regular kickflip. Back foot goes into the corner but the most crucial thing its to already have your shoulders open while you pop: you're halfway the trick so as soon as you catch the board in the air you just have to keep rotating those last 90°. As i said; they are, somehow, particularly easier for my mind if I only focus on doing a "big 90° kickflip", maybe this could help someone.

Now about my last session:
I had to go to the local skatepark Ive always hated; its one of those early 2000 parks where everything its huge (THPS design in mind), lots of space and $ wasted, unmaintained and as you would expect: it doesn't have any basic box or manual pad in sight.
Got there at 9 am, no one around, amazing time to warm up, stretch and land a few interesting tricks (even 2 fs flips and a nollie fs 360 aka nolliecab on a hip). By 11 am it was fully packed of roller skaters on every quarter pipe waxing any piece of coping visible. Dudes are organized on turning a fucked up old park into a slip and slide so I took my shit and went back home to play with my kids instead :)

Can you describe how you jump with a fs flip? That's what seems to elude me. I think I'm distributing my weight when I pop incorrectly and it's diminishing my leaping power. I have 180s well and good kickflips almost on demand but I just can't figure it out. The board always ends up a little above and infront of me. Sometimes I'll get the flick right and the board will do it perfectly but my body isn't above it. If you have any insight I'd appreciate it. I think I understand most aspects of the trick like shoulders open, where the feet go, getting the front foot out of the way... I just can't figure out what the back foot needs to be doing or how to maximize my power. Thx!
eau de toilette: Sk8IQ by Sle_epy