Author Topic: Vans Pro Classics Line To Be Replaced By Vans Skate Classic Line  (Read 22049 times)

fs1/2cab

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 596
    • a short part avatar image
Re: Vans Pro Classics Line To Be Replaced By Vans Skate Classic Line
« Reply #150 on: June 02, 2021, 12:05:36 PM »
Expand Quote
What is the consensus on the Skate Sk8-Hi?
Always wanted to try them.

How high are they on the foot? Will my ankle feel secured?
[close]

I love the new Sk8-Hi and it's the shoe I skate 95% of the time.

They're high enough on the foot to cover the ankle bone on the side so even if you land on the side of your foot, its not bone against the ground.

My ankle feels secure enough to use them as slip-ons if I want. I tied the shoelace ends on a couple of pairs and just slide them on and skate. They've never fallen off when skating like this. Tying them works well to make your ankle feel even more secure (but I don't find the laces long enough for the last eyelet). I've also never rolled my ankle bad in them.

The best part of Sk8-His is that the position of the shoelace avoids the "kickflip area" so I've never worn down a pair of laces wearing them (Half-cabs almost broke a lace on the first sesh so they're casual shoes for me now).

Currently having a rolled ankle, this makes me happy to hear. Thanks a lot mate.

I have some half cab pros and they are comfy but feel a bit bulky for me. Should I get my usual Vans size in the new Sk8-Hi?
IG: @flowterspace

PrettyRicki

• Rep: 10
  • Symmetrical boards <3
« Reply #151 on: June 02, 2021, 12:32:06 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
What is the consensus on the Skate Sk8-Hi?
Always wanted to try them.

How high are they on the foot? Will my ankle feel secured?
[close]

I love the new Sk8-Hi and it's the shoe I skate 95% of the time.

They're high enough on the foot to cover the ankle bone on the side so even if you land on the side of your foot, its not bone against the ground.

My ankle feels secure enough to use them as slip-ons if I want. I tied the shoelace ends on a couple of pairs and just slide them on and skate. They've never fallen off when skating like this. Tying them works well to make your ankle feel even more secure (but I don't find the laces long enough for the last eyelet). I've also never rolled my ankle bad in them.

The best part of Sk8-His is that the position of the shoelace avoids the "kickflip area" so I've never worn down a pair of laces wearing them (Half-cabs almost broke a lace on the first sesh so they're casual shoes for me now).
[close]

Currently having a rolled ankle, this makes me happy to hear. Thanks a lot mate.

I have some half cab pros and they are comfy but feel a bit bulky for me. Should I get my usual Vans size in the new Sk8-Hi?

I get the same size Sk8-Hi as I do the Half Cabs, but the new Slip-ons I go half a size up, the thicker insoles make them too tight otherwise.

With the rolling the ankle thing, it seems that falls that would normally roll my ankle instead just take me down onto my side instead (which I prefer). The other benefit of Sk8-His is the extra protection from those low shinners.

Sk8-Hi til I die.

Coldpizza

• Rep: 146
« Reply #152 on: June 03, 2021, 01:49:49 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Got a pair of the new slip ons as chillers (no intention of actually skating in them - my feet can't handle it). I hate them, but they also strangely have me interested to try more shoes from the new Skate line. The general changes that they did to the whole line (materials, construction, etc.) all seem good, but I don't know what they were thinking with how the slip-on fits. The Pro slip ons fit me well, but hurt my feet because the sole was so thin, so I thought I'd like the update. I might try the Half Cabs or the Old Skools in the future, but I've learned my lesson with the Skate line about expecting them to fit like previous versions of the same shoe.

Pros:
- I like the new sole - feels more supportive than the old one, and should last longer because of the deeper tread.

- Collar is a little higher in the back than the old Slip On Pros - a little better heel lock, which was an issue with the previous ones.

- They generally seem to be a little better constructed than the old Pro line - stitching looks cleaner, the canvas feels a little sturdier, the foxing is a little higher, and they added some much needed beef to the sole. Specific to the slip-ons, I noticed they stitched the elastic between the lining and the exterior canvas layer instead of underneath both and right up against your foot.

Cons:
- Toebox is way too narrow/thin/pointy - not shaped like any other Vans slip on I've ever worn, and not shaped like any actual human foot I've ever seen. The overall shape feels similar to the Huf Dylan slip on, but I think maybe even a little narrower than that very narrow shoe.

- They fit too long - I could have maybe gone down a half size if they weren't so narrow, but I probably couldn't even get my foot in them if they were any narrower. I didn't plan to skate them anyway, but there's too much space in front of my toes to consider it.

- Despite how narrow they are up front, there's maybe a little too much room in the heel. Doesn't feel very secure back there. This also plays into my 'not shaped like a human foot' commentary.

- Too tight across the top of my foot, even with my orthotics swapped in, which are thinner than the Popcushes. I tried to stretch them out a little before wearing them, but it didn't help much.

- The new cut of the Duracap layer is all wrong. The entire front half of the shoe is basically made of rubber. If the toebox is too narrow for you (which it probably will be), they're not going to stretch out much with all that rubber. I imagine they'll be sweat boxes on a hot day, also.

- The collar is rigid enough and hits in the right spot to destroy my achilles/heel area. I took a 20 minute walk in them last night, and I was bleeding through my socks when I got home.
[close]

Great review, lines up perfectly with my experience. Wish I had complained to the store/Vans when problems first arose. Paid a lot for these and just want to get rid of them already. There have been some big mistakes made with the design of the Era at least and the customers will foot the bill (pun intended).
[close]

Agreed, spot on review. Should defo send this to Vans so they can fix these annoying cons as there are way too many! The old pros were much better!

The tightness across the top of the foot is the most annoying part!
[close]

Chiming in to also say that this review was spot on for me.

Went to pick up a pair of slip ons for the summer, saw the shop had the updated pros & almost bought without trying on. Thankfully I thought maybe I should since they were new, and wow so glad I did. I ended up leaving with a pair of classic slips instead.

Vans have always been such a consistent go to, it’s a bit of a bummer to have such a drastic change to the pro line.

Also, really not feeling the shiny rubber on the duracap.
[close]

Realistically what's the chance of any outcome at all if contacting Vans about it? I know they have plants reading this. Don't really feel like bothering the skate shop people right now about some shoes that have already seen (very light) wear. I can wear my dad's hiking boots that are 1,5 sizes too big no problem, I can wear snowboard boots that are half a size too small. No shoe should make a foot bleed.
Got a friend who works at Vans & sent him my opinion on fit right after…so I’d say that my chances of being heard were pretty good.
Also didn’t bother any skate shop employees, and I still left with a pair of Vans.
Kinda thought people we wrote shit like this here to help potentially inform others in case they were curious of fit or buying online…¯\_(ツ)_/¯
I was specifically talking about the slip-on tho…
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

toque

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 122
    • Portmanteau avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #153 on: June 10, 2021, 01:47:14 AM »
Been wanting to try these out and finally got some old skools today. My knees/back are too messed up to skate regular classic vans anymore but these have a very similar feel just with the added insole. Pros always felt like big soft baked potatoes on my feet. I cut the checker tag off and removed the top metal eyelet. Honestly feel like I can give up blazers now. They did a really good job

wheee!

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 974
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #154 on: June 10, 2021, 07:31:21 PM »
I put something up already in the other Vans thread, but I now have two pairs of the new SKATE shoes, one each in Old Skool and Sk8 low and they are both by far a stronger, more supported, grippier and stiffer version of anything I have ever had from Vans, which going forward is the way of the future, even if a lot of people are unhappy with the feel of the new ones.

My options are limited to full sizes here in AU (no half sizes and I fit 11.5 best) so I went with the bigger 12 rather than 11 and they are very comfortable right away, no blisters or unwanted rubbing issues, but I am yet to really do much more than wearing them for a full day each and having a bit of a skate in both of them.

That said, I prefer tighter shoes to skate in, but going up half a size might help some others who have big issues with the fit of the new ones.

They are definitely not the soft thin moccasin type of shoes that the pro turned out to be, that's for sure.

New Vans models thread:

https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=110394.540

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

franc

• Rep: 96
« Reply #155 on: June 11, 2021, 01:34:11 PM »
Have any of you tried the Skate Sids? How are they compared to the Saddle Sid Pros? Thanks.

jimmy

• Rep: 1
« Reply #156 on: August 09, 2021, 02:06:01 PM »
Anyone skating just the original classics? I'm a fan of the classic half cabs. Not the Pro, or Skate models. The ones with the insole embedded into the shoe. They seem like they are going to be discontinued soon due to vans not stocking them. I prefer these over the others due to better board feel. The removable insoles ain't it chief. Am I fucked? Do I stock up while I can?

Allen.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 695
    • Cigarettes for Cardio avatar image
« Reply #157 on: August 09, 2021, 02:19:21 PM »
You’re fucked, Jimmy. You’re fucked.
For someone w.no signature ur awfully hostile, & that is why I do this

camel filters

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1274
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #158 on: August 10, 2021, 12:54:27 PM »
Anyone skating just the original classics? I'm a fan of the classic half cabs. Not the Pro, or Skate models. The ones with the insole embedded into the shoe. They seem like they are going to be discontinued soon due to vans not stocking them. I prefer these over the others due to better board feel. The removable insoles ain't it chief. Am I fucked? Do I stock up while I can?
https://www.tactics.com/vans/classic-half-cab-skate-shoes/black

Tactics has pretty much a full size run of them in stock. Probably not for long.  I like the fit of the classics better than the skate or the pros but you best believe im ripping out that insole to put a pop cush in there.

hellawatters

• Rep: -1
« Reply #159 on: November 24, 2021, 06:29:19 PM »
I’ve been thinking of ordering a pair of the skate half cabs- does anyone know if the sizing on them is the same as the classic half cabs or the half can pro?

onkalo

• Rep: 28
« Reply #160 on: November 24, 2021, 11:11:36 PM »
I’ve been thinking of ordering a pair of the skate half cabs- does anyone know if the sizing on them is the same as the classic half cabs or the half can pro?
Get the same size you would get when buying other vans. Hopefully this was useful :)

Wizard Fight

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -191
« Reply #161 on: November 25, 2021, 04:35:35 PM »
Does anybody know what's up with the Vans BMX shoes? I'm wondering how they're different from the skates or classics.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #162 on: November 25, 2021, 05:26:26 PM »
They’re stiffer cups

Wizard Fight

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -191
« Reply #163 on: November 25, 2021, 06:49:31 PM »
They’re stiffer cups

Lol thanks, I've read that. I guess what I should have asked is 'has anyone bought or skated in the BMX models?'

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 974
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #164 on: November 25, 2021, 09:18:53 PM »
Expand Quote
They’re stiffer cups
[close]

Lol thanks, I've read that. I guess what I should have asked is 'has anyone bought or skated in the BMX models?'

It might be the other Vans thread, but there was a lot of talk about them and people had skated them, with most saying they were definitely a big upgrade on the thickness, support and way more solid than the normal Vans shoes.

I went looking with the search option, but didn't turn up half as much as I recall seeing in the last year or so:

Vans BMX thread:

https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=114021.0

I couldn't see many or any other posts with the BMX versions, but at least that thread should be good.

Maybe I was thinking of that one, but I know there were a few different threads that had some of those shoes with people who have bought them with reviews and info.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.