Author Topic: WBSWB Movement (Wide Board Short Wheelbase)  (Read 77676 times)

oliknight

Re: WBSWB Movement (Wide Board Short Wheelbase)
« Reply #870 on: January 07, 2023, 04:06:16 AM »

Not sure the exact WB of 9” Death decks, it’s listed different everywhere I look!
It’s definitely short for a 9 though :)

streetmeat

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 172
« Reply #871 on: January 10, 2023, 05:36:36 PM »

this seems to be the last one of these boards
i hope this dimension is possible to find again. it looks absolutely perfect. i would say the nose is slightly more full too and the tail is a more rounded / aggressive cut.
6.5" tail, 7" nose, 14" wb. it will be on Indy's.

if i get thunders, which i very likely will at some point, i will probably go to the 13.75" wb Real board they are coming out with. i hope other people enjoy these boards too and they keep making them.

been on this for a couple months now. originally i was put off by how much it tapers in the tail but its chill now.

Acid Drop

• Rep: -61
  • Everyone sucks but me
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #872 on: January 12, 2023, 07:37:44 PM »
New set-up is fun. 8.625 with 14.25 wb.

What-ah? Ah-how-wha? huh? You're confused, you're alone, it's Saturday night, you have no pants on

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 838
  • like….? brunch
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #873 on: January 17, 2023, 07:34:23 PM »
dogtown wade speyer reissue
9.75/31.375/14.25-14.75wb

dogtown early 90s deck
10/31.95/14.25-14.75wb

dogtown jj rogers reissue
10.125/32.075/14.25-14.75wb

while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

munchbox

• SLAP Pal
  • like….? brunch
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #874 on: January 24, 2023, 06:27:43 AM »

for potential search purposes
black widow
8.5/31.7/14.12wb

true fit
8.5/31.35/13.75wb
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

backinaction

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 277
« Reply #875 on: January 24, 2023, 09:50:28 AM »
I picked up an Enjoy Thaynan from the ThankYou sale for $29.   8.75 with a 14.25 wheelbase and a short tail.  I haven't set it up yet because I have another board I have only skated twice, but I'm more exited about it after having it in hand.  It really is a nice shape.

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 609
« Reply #876 on: January 24, 2023, 10:00:15 AM »
I picked up an Enjoy Thaynan from the ThankYou sale for $29.   8.75 with a 14.25 wheelbase and a short tail.  I haven't set it up yet because I have another board I have only skated twice, but I'm more exited about it after having it in hand.  It really is a nice shape.

Is that the one with the 6.3" short tail? That's the only thing that always kept me from getting it

backinaction

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 277
« Reply #877 on: January 24, 2023, 10:31:27 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Is that the one with the 6.3" short tail? That's the only thing that always kept me from getting it

Listed as 6.3" and I measure at 6.4".  Tail angle is pretty mellow so I don't think it's going to be a big pop angle when the tail hits.  Probably going to set it up with Ace AF1 first, which should give a similar axle to end of tail as some of my setups on Thunder. 

The shape reminds me of boards I skated in '91, like the G&S Shannon May with Cindy Crawford  or the CCS Wrench

At $29, if I try it on a couple different trucks and it doesn't work for me I won't feel remotely bad about leaving it at the park for a kid.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2023, 11:06:03 AM by backinaction »

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 973
  • Just another skate shop guy
« Reply #878 on: January 24, 2023, 05:23:58 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
black widow
8.5/31.7/14.12wb

true fit
8.5/31.35/13.75wb

I can definitely see a few more people picking up those boards, given the shorter length and wheelbase but still having a fairly normal shape or brand choice.

Easy to remove the graphics on the stained boards / paint over the black widow too if someone is not so keen on them, funny as they are.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

GBLange

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 274
« Reply #879 on: January 25, 2023, 08:44:02 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]
black widow
8.5/31.7/14.12wb

true fit
8.5/31.35/13.75wb

need to get more of the black widow. still hv 1 with the eagle graphic on ice.

TastyBurrito

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 538
« Reply #880 on: January 28, 2023, 01:31:38 PM »
[X-Post from Set-up thread]

Polar Dane 1 9.75”/14.125WB
Indy Hollow 159
Spitfire F4 classic 52mm
Bones Swiss
Pepper Grip
Generic Bolts

switchfakie

« Reply #881 on: January 28, 2023, 02:45:40 PM »
[X-Post from Set-up thread]

Polar Dane 1 9.75”/14.125WB
Indy Hollow 159
Spitfire F4 classic 52mm
Bones Swiss
Pepper Grip
Generic Bolts

that shape for some reason makes backside flips REALLY easy

dmtr

• Rep: 20
« Reply #882 on: February 03, 2023, 10:35:22 AM »
I currently have the Anti hero 8.5 Misregister eagle set up with 149 Indys.
Really having trouble getting used to it, everything feels to short and fast, sluggish/heavy. 
I can get a deal on venture 5.6 highs here, would the Ventures be a better match for the deck?

iw0

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 500
« Reply #883 on: February 03, 2023, 11:40:37 AM »
Really having trouble getting used to it, everything feels to short and fast, sluggish/heavy. 
I can get a deal on venture 5.6 highs here, would the Ventures be a better match for the deck?

currently running this on 52s and really enjoying it, obviously ymmv though

flintstagram

• Rep: 80
« Reply #884 on: February 03, 2023, 07:29:39 PM »

I mean, that would push the wheelbase out a little bit, so it certainly could help. I’m skating an 8.5 Chems twin nose board with a 14” wb on Thunder 151s, and I think the wb is too short for my liking. 360 flips are wonky and don’t come around right, everything feels a little squirrelly.

14.25 seems to be my favorite. I’ll know for sure the wheelbase was too short when I switch back, which I may do soon, just to see. I’ve got the board here, so why not, right? I wouldn’t have guessed that 14 would be too short for my liking, but sometimes things surprise us. I guess it will be good to figure out one way or another.

munchbox

• SLAP Pal
  • like….? brunch
« Reply #885 on: March 15, 2023, 10:34:43 AM »
heroin double shovel
9.9/31.75/14.25wb

munchbox

• SLAP Pal
  • like….? brunch
« Reply #886 on: March 27, 2023, 05:16:00 AM »
Antihero has a new mini Grosso shape as well - Nooner at 9 x 31.8 with 14.25 wb

https://www.antiheroskateboards.com/spring-2023

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 651
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #887 on: March 27, 2023, 07:17:58 AM »
its still snowing here so i havent set it up yet. do you guys who decided yo like longer wb than 14" - did you used to skate 8" x 14" wb? i skated this size for like 10+ years so maybe thats why 14" wb doesnt seem small to me (i also have short baby legs in proportion to the rest of my body) i find the more i go UP in wb requires me to split my legs more + be more flexible lol maybe thats why i keep spraining my groin on this 14.5" wb 8.5"
ONTARIO CANADA

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #888 on: March 27, 2023, 04:12:30 PM »

I thought this should go here as well.

Interesting to see the wb on the 8.75 is only 14.25

Set this up as a placeholder until the new sob story sample boards come in (it's the closest BBS made deck with similar specs that I could find). The nose & tail are a hair longer than my sweet spot (7"/6.625"), but I'm pretty stoked overall with how it skates. Also, after bouncing around with different trucks, I'm back on Thunders and I think I may have finally found an end to my madness after setting them up with a Venture loose trucks top bushing & RipTide pivot cups ;D
  • 8.75"x32.75" measured with the concave Heated Wheel (14.25" wb / 7.25" nose / 7" tail)
  • Jessup Ultra grip
  • Thunder 7/8" allen hardware
  • Thunder Team 161's (stock bottom bushing / Venture loose trucks top bushing / RipTide pivot cups)
  • Bones Swiss
  • Spitfire 99a F4 Classic 55's

jakeumms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1274
  • Runnin through the house with a pickle in my mouth
« Reply #889 on: March 27, 2023, 07:03:44 PM »

I thought this should go here as well.

Interesting to see the wb on the 8.75 is only 14.25

Expand Quote

Set this up as a placeholder until the new sob story sample boards come in (it's the closest BBS made deck with similar specs that I could find). The nose & tail are a hair longer than my sweet spot (7"/6.625"), but I'm pretty stoked overall with how it skates. Also, after bouncing around with different trucks, I'm back on Thunders and I think I may have finally found an end to my madness after setting them up with a Venture loose trucks top bushing & RipTide pivot cups ;D
  • 8.75"x32.75" measured with the concave Heated Wheel (14.25" wb / 7.25" nose / 7" tail)
  • Jessup Ultra grip
  • Thunder 7/8" allen hardware
  • Thunder Team 161's (stock bottom bushing / Venture loose trucks top bushing / RipTide pivot cups)
  • Bones Swiss
  • Spitfire 99a F4 Classic 55's
[close]
Heated Wheel needs to get with the listed wb program. Some are up but not all. I never would have guessed that the 8.75 had a short wheelbase based on something like the Slam Time shape. I Just assumed it would have something similarly super long.
them cats are out getting mashed up to jungle, he's out mashing up jungle cats. it's just not gonna work.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #890 on: March 27, 2023, 07:49:25 PM »

Heated Wheel needs to get with the listed wb program. Some are up but not all. I never would have guessed that the 8.75 had a short wheelbase based on something like the Slam Time shape. I Just assumed it would have something similarly super long.

The Heated Wheel thread:

https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=125033.30

The other one someone had was a 9" with a 14.38 wb so maybe that line, the "Grasshopper" series are shorter than the other boards, which definitely seem to have longer wheelbases, or at least the shops that post the info have them as longer, but it is a bit here and there, looking at a few other places, some longer and some shorter.

Eg shorter:

https://www.ocdskateshop.com.au/products/the-heated-wheel-frontier-9-25-skateboard-deck-1

https://www.ocdskateshop.com.au/products/the-heated-wheel-garys-right-9-25-skateboard-deck

Both same dimensions, maybe same shape?

WIDTH
LENGTH
WHEEL BASE

The more I look at the 8.75 in shop pics, the more I think it looks like the Alien Workshop deck in 8.75 that I have, which is also 14.25 wb and maybe about that long as well.

Not sure if the Heated Wheel board is that blunt in the kicks though.

jakeumms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1274
  • Runnin through the house with a pickle in my mouth
« Reply #891 on: March 27, 2023, 10:43:38 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

The Heated Wheel thread:

https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=125033.30

The other one someone had was a 9" with a 14.38 wb so maybe that line, the "Grasshopper" series are shorter than the other boards, which definitely seem to have longer wheelbases, or at least the shops that post the info have them as longer, but it is a bit here and there, looking at a few other places, some longer and some shorter.

Eg shorter:

https://www.ocdskateshop.com.au/products/the-heated-wheel-frontier-9-25-skateboard-deck-1

https://www.ocdskateshop.com.au/products/the-heated-wheel-garys-right-9-25-skateboard-deck

Both same dimensions, maybe same shape?

WIDTH
LENGTH
WHEEL BASE

The more I look at the 8.75 in shop pics, the more I think it looks like the Alien Workshop deck in 8.75 that I have, which is also 14.25 wb and maybe about that long as well.

Not sure if the Heated Wheel board is that blunt in the kicks though.
I have the BA Metal deck in the stack that I think is the AWS 8.75 shape. I am fairly certain THW 8.75 is a different shape If the SoCal image is to be believed.
https://socalskateshop.com/The-Heated-Wheel-Oval-Team-Skateboard-Deck-Purple-Stain-8-75x32-25.html#!?cc_decks=129921&c=cc_grip-tape

Looks much rounder and tapers in the rails whereas the AWS deck is pretty straight and blunt at both ends. Of course who knows if that image is accurate but it does look like an actual photo they took. In any case, glad to have another 8.75 with a shorter wb if and when DLX's somewhat fickle catalog cycles the AH 8.75 out. 
them cats are out getting mashed up to jungle, he's out mashing up jungle cats. it's just not gonna work.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #892 on: March 28, 2023, 05:02:53 PM »

I have the BA Metal deck in the stack that I think is the AWS 8.75 shape. I am fairly certain THW 8.75 is a different shape If the SoCal image is to be believed.
https://socalskateshop.com/The-Heated-Wheel-Oval-Team-Skateboard-Deck-Purple-Stain-8-75x32-25.html#!?cc_decks=129921&c=cc_grip-tape

Looks much rounder and tapers in the rails whereas the AWS deck is pretty straight and blunt at both ends. Of course who knows if that image is accurate but it does look like an actual photo they took. In any case, glad to have another 8.75 with a shorter wb if and when DLX's somewhat fickle catalog cycles the AH 8.75 out.

That is a good pic of it, which I hadn't seen before.  Most places really only have the graphic pic, so seeing it from the top shows it has longer "normal" looking kicks, as you had said.

The brand is still so new around here, so I haven't seen any in person at all.

Thanks for that link too!

munchbox

• SLAP Pal
  • like….? brunch
« Reply #893 on: April 15, 2023, 11:41:22 AM »
baker 9.0 is back

9.0/31.875/14.25

switchfakie

« Reply #894 on: April 15, 2023, 09:44:54 PM »
baker 9.0 is back

9.0/31.875/14.25

if i recall correctly baker doesnt stain their bottom plys

what a shame, i wouldve loved to try this out

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #895 on: April 15, 2023, 11:34:18 PM »
Expand Quote
baker 9.0 is back

9.0/31.875/14.25

[close]

Some Baker boards have stained bottom ply layers, but more often than not they are the ones with specific wood grain showing through, so a full paint job would more likely be a natural bottom.  Quite a few of the latest ones have stained bottoms when I checked their site.

https://bakerskateboards.com/

Edit:

https://bakerskateboards.com/products/rowan-big-bodies-shaped-9-25

This one is not WBSWB worthy but it does have what looks like a green bottom - stains might vary, but they don't say it there.

Someone from a shop or that sees one in person could easily check though, or if a shop had a close up of the side of the board, you can usually see all seven layers of wood.

« Last Edit: April 15, 2023, 11:43:10 PM by Mbrimson88 »

switchfakie

« Reply #896 on: April 16, 2023, 04:06:40 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
baker 9.0 is back

9.0/31.875/14.25

[close]

[close]

Some Baker boards have stained bottom ply layers, but more often than not they are the ones with specific wood grain showing through, so a full paint job would more likely be a natural bottom.  Quite a few of the latest ones have stained bottoms when I checked their site.

https://bakerskateboards.com/

Edit:

https://bakerskateboards.com/products/rowan-big-bodies-shaped-9-25

This one is not WBSWB worthy but it does have what looks like a green bottom - stains might vary, but they don't say it there.

Someone from a shop or that sees one in person could easily check though, or if a shop had a close up of the side of the board, you can usually see all seven layers of wood.

man that shape has me salivating. if only it was 14 & 31.5 - 31.8 - wouldve bought 5 on the spot

regardless, i'll check if my local has it, really like that blue top ply color too, hopefully they select their veneers - would love to do a grip job for that board

munchbox

• SLAP Pal
  • like….? brunch
« Reply #897 on: April 17, 2023, 12:18:41 PM »
the heated wheel yuma shape
9.25/32/14.25wb

munchbox

• SLAP Pal
  • like….? brunch
« Reply #898 on: April 17, 2023, 03:06:50 PM »
heroin curb crusher xxl
10.25/30.625/14.25-15wb

heroin egg 8.88/31.75/14.25wb

TastyBurrito

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 538
« Reply #899 on: April 24, 2023, 02:33:05 PM »
Xpost:

Grosso Grimple Stix 9.0” Noodle shape (14.25"WB)
Ace 55 Classic
55mm Spitfire F4 OG Classic
Quantum Isotopes
Pepper Grip
Shorty’s hardware