Author Topic: Cupsole Recommendations  (Read 35743 times)

Spunkchild

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 38
  • Big gal
Re: Cupsole Recommendations
« Reply #60 on: February 09, 2021, 10:49:26 AM »
Expand Quote
Adidas 3st.004. On my 3rd straight pair. TTS, decent width if needed but not tailored for wide feet I’d say
[close]

I am really interested in hearing how NB# cups skate (aside from the 440 hi, which I know are great). The 1010's are my cup of tea style wise but I wonder how they feel...
the 1010's are incredible. Good board feel, the heel is kinda chunky but its not too thick, the only thing I'm not too in love with is how thin the tongue is, bu thats mostly just personal preference. Good shoe, thin enough to feel the hell out of the board but its been saving my roly poly ankles still.
I have bad taste and I smell like fetta cheese

aLEXICONdEVIL

• Rep: 6
« Reply #61 on: February 09, 2021, 11:25:09 AM »
The vans Kyle Walker pro (the first one) is pretty good. The cupsole lasts forever. The upper material isn‘t very good, but if you use shoe goo the shoe will last you for a very Long time. It‘s a very good shoe for wide feet.

agree

Mesteezo

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Rep: 65
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #62 on: February 09, 2021, 11:42:19 AM »
Does the tysshawn not have the heel drop like the busenitz?

Not sure what you mean by heel drop, but the Tyshawns have an even thicker/raised heel than the Busenitz. I still wouldn't compare the 2 shoes at all they're super different despite both being cupsoles. Busenitz are hard and firm, Tyshawns are soft and flexible.

yourbreakfsat

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 746
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #63 on: February 09, 2021, 12:04:05 PM »
Once Lakai starts dropping the Telford in more colorways, they will likely be receiving a good deal of my money.

SlapTM

• Rep: 242
« Reply #64 on: February 09, 2021, 12:53:41 PM »
I would say if you get a chance, try the Emerica G6 sole. The G6 Reynolds is the greatest skate shoe I've ever had. Super comfy, well built. Unfortunately, they discontinued it when the boss left, and the only G6 cupsole on the market right now is the spanky g6, which isn't as padded as I like up top. Even more so than the padding though, I would destroy a shoelace pretty much every session. Those metal eyelets and my flick were not a good pairing.

Emerica keeps telling me they've got more G6 cups on the way, but they've been telling me that story for like the last year. I'm starting to feel misled. For real though, the G6 sole is the cupsole to get. I just keep waiting for that new stuff to come out.
We have that Spanky Wino G6 slip-on cup with the G6 pour-in dropping in April and then the pour-in G6 colorway of the Gamma dropping in October.

For other Emerica cupsoles, we have the Gamma, Romero Laced, Romero Americana, Figgy Dose, and Alcove CC.

Eric Dolphy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 516
« Reply #65 on: February 09, 2021, 07:42:24 PM »
I only skate cupsoles that are on the thin side, and I've skated and would highly recommend a lot of the other shoes already recommended in this thread. My top picks are Vans Crockett Highs (lows are great too but I prefer mid or high tops), Cons Fastbreaks, and Emerica Spanky G6s. All three of these are very supportive shoes and still have a decent amount of boardfeel. I also had a pair of the OG Adidas Sambas that skated great and lasted surprisingly long.

For what it's worth, I copped my homie a pair of DC Legacy Silms for this birthday back in like March or April. He was stoked on them and still somehow skating them now, even though there's holes in the soles. I think he just now found some replacement DCs for like $40 online. They're super easy to find for cheap online.
I'm 37yo and I can't recommended this shoe enough. Think I'm skating my 9th or 10th pair atm.

fulfillthedream

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 305
« Reply #66 on: February 09, 2021, 07:51:26 PM »
Expand Quote
I only skate cupsoles that are on the thin side, and I've skated and would highly recommend a lot of the other shoes already recommended in this thread. My top picks are Vans Crockett Highs (lows are great too but I prefer mid or high tops), Cons Fastbreaks, and Emerica Spanky G6s. All three of these are very supportive shoes and still have a decent amount of boardfeel. I also had a pair of the OG Adidas Sambas that skated great and lasted surprisingly long.

For what it's worth, I copped my homie a pair of DC Legacy Silms for this birthday back in like March or April. He was stoked on them and still somehow skating them now, even though there's holes in the soles. I think he just now found some replacement DCs for like $40 online. They're super easy to find for cheap online.
[close]
I'm 37yo and I can't recommended this shoe enough. Think I'm skating my 9th or 10th pair atm.

the dope thing too is there widely available. DC cupsoles are something ive been strict on the last 2-3 years starting with the Tiago's the 2-14 Lynx Remakes, Matt Millers, The Kalis Wolf and the last years been 5-6 pairs of the Kalis S and two pairs of the Lynx Zero (good thicker shoe too but i prefer the Kalis S over the Lynx Zero)
Skateboarding is like jacking-off, it's that good- Jeremy Klein

[

kimura

• Rep: 15
« Reply #67 on: February 09, 2021, 08:42:15 PM »
Ordered some Tyshawns today. Looking forward to giving these a go.

Fooj

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Rep: 180
« Reply #68 on: February 09, 2021, 08:46:33 PM »
Im on my 9th pair of Busenitz, I love the flick and comfort.  Trying Tyshawns out next tho

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 938
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
« Reply #69 on: February 11, 2021, 05:05:12 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Converse Fastbreak Mids are also pretty good, I noticed nobody mentioned them yet.
[close]

I've always wanted to check these out but have never seen them local to try on and with cons sizing and some saying size up, others down, I just never bit.

Picked up some 1010s last night on a whim and a discount code as my only other cups are ADIDAS ST003s and I never liked how they gripped, always felt slippery (like most adidas that aren't gum).
[close]

How those 1010's fitting? They look comfortable but looks can be deceiving.
[close]

Not arrived yet (saturday), I'll check back in when they arrive. Only my second pair of # and the first didn't go over well (westgates).

Arrived early. Toebox is nice and wide square like the westgates (at the tip), tho the right pinches at the toe crease area (review I watched mentioned this) so they need some break in time before I skate them; I'll wear them around the house.

Moderate arch, I can feel it but it's not bothersome.

Feel long . With thick socks I get a thumbwidth (horizontal) of room while standing (Vans/DC/Nike give me about 1/2" which I prefer). If I were to go with a 9.5 it would be too tight (which I tried with the Westgates, sent them back for a 10). Too much heel slip when walking around, so back they go.

Edit: Weartested is the only place I've seen say they run a half size big, so I'm going to give the 9.5s a shot.

« Last Edit: February 12, 2021, 09:03:32 AM by Xen »

topfrog10

• Rep: 6
« Reply #70 on: February 11, 2021, 08:03:29 PM »
can anyone vouch for the NB 440Hi? Specifically on if they have that ankle cushioning that the 440 low has

Urtripping

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 530
« Reply #71 on: February 12, 2021, 06:01:02 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Converse Fastbreak Mids are also pretty good, I noticed nobody mentioned them yet.
[close]

I've always wanted to check these out but have never seen them local to try on and with cons sizing and some saying size up, others down, I just never bit.

Picked up some 1010s last night on a whim and a discount code as my only other cups are ADIDAS ST003s and I never liked how they gripped, always felt slippery (like most adidas that aren't gum).
[close]

[close]

Not arrived yet (saturday), I'll check back in when they arrive. Only my second pair of # and the first didn't go over well (westgates).
[close]

Arrived early. Toebox is nice and wide square like the westgates (at the tip), tho the right pinches at the tow crease area (review I watched mentioned this) so they need some break in time before I skate them; I'll wear them around the house.

Feel long . With thick socks I get a thumbwidth (horizontal) of room while standing (Vans/DC/Nike give me about 1/2" which I prefer). If I were to go with a 9.5 it would be too tight (which I tried with the Westgates, sent them back for a 10). Too much heel slip when walking around, so back they go.

Edit: Weartested is the only place I've seen say they run a half size big, so I'm going to give the 9.5s a shot.

Word, I usually fit 9's perfectly but will consider goin with an 8.5, I am not sleeping on the wheat suede/black sole
I saw your mommy and your mommy's dead

lemonchicken91

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 242
« Reply #72 on: February 12, 2021, 07:01:10 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Not sure what you mean by heel drop, but the Tyshawns have an even thicker/raised heel than the Busenitz. I still wouldn't compare the 2 shoes at all they're super different despite both being cupsoles. Busenitz are hard and firm, Tyshawns are soft and flexible.

That thick heal and lower toe area on the Busenits makes them unskateable for me :(
Love the look but they are relegated to chillers 
no, i live in an efficiency by myself and work in middle management like you, loser

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #73 on: February 12, 2021, 09:07:29 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Arrived early. Toebox is nice and wide square like the westgates (at the tip), tho the right pinches at the tow crease area (review I watched mentioned this) so they need some break in time before I skate them; I'll wear them around the house.

[close]

Word, I usually fit 9's perfectly but will consider goin with an 8.5, I am not sleeping on the wheat suede/black sole

Returned the 10s (white) for the black (got them at Tactics at $79); don't care which one I'm skating. Black will feel less like Dad NB vibe, which the white 1010s give off.

Some reviews on the NB site also say they run large (some true to size tho).

Here's the area where it pinched for me straight out of the box (but right shoe only, pinky toe side); not my image:

« Last Edit: February 16, 2021, 05:56:33 PM by Xen »

In A Jar

• Rep: 35
    • just say null avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #74 on: February 12, 2021, 09:39:21 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

That thick heal and lower toe area on the Busenits makes them unskateable for me :(

I also am terrified of shoes with thick heels.  I would love to hear some recommendations on cupsoles with thin heels, there are so few out there.  Seems like Sole Tech are really the only ones, but maybe there some I haven't seen?

Paperclip20

• Rep: 135
  • Please send symmetrical board information
« Reply #75 on: February 12, 2021, 09:44:04 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

I also am terrified of shoes with thick heels.  I would love to hear some recommendations on cupsoles with thin heels, there are so few out there.  Seems like Sole Tech are really the only ones, but maybe there some I haven't seen?

I wouldn't say either of them have thin heels but both the Crocket HI and the Converse fastbreak avoid having that super raised heel issue. I'm a fan of both of them

Peepeeboy69

• Rep: 14
« Reply #76 on: February 12, 2021, 09:50:07 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Busenitz hurt my feet with heel drop, but Tyshawns feel fine to me tho

Crap

• Rep: 77
« Reply #77 on: February 12, 2021, 11:49:52 AM »
Everyone's experience is different I guess, but I didn't find the Tyshawns to have much (if any) heel drop at all. For those who aren't familiar, 'heel drop' just means the heel of the shoe is higher than the toe. Like this:

Busenitz has probably the most noticeable heel drop of any skate shoe I've put on. I've never skated a pair, but I've tried them on and found them way too thin in the forefoot. Made me feel like I'm way too much on my tippy toes to be comfortable. The sole on Tyshawns is noticeably stiffer/harder in the forefoot than the Busenitz sole. If there is any drop from heel to toe, it is pretty minimal. I believe the Tyshawn has a bit of midsole cushioning and the Busenitz doesn't, but neither one has very much cushioning under your feet. Aside from both being cupsoles and made by the same brand, I do not find these shoes to be very similar.

juniormint

• Rep: 140
« Reply #78 on: February 12, 2021, 12:26:37 PM »
Expand Quote
Adidas 3st.004. On my 3rd straight pair. TTS, decent width if needed but not tailored for wide feet I’d say
[close]

Always liked the looks of those crazy tech adidas cups, even the 3st.003. There's an all black pair on Nordstrom rack that are nice and affordable, it's tempting...

I am really interested in hearing how NB# cups skate (aside from the 440 hi, which I know are great). The 1010's are my cup of tea style wise but I wonder how they feel... I also like the look of the 913. Are they still making that shoe?

After skating mainly 440s and 288s for the last couple years, and then trying the 1010s,  I have to say the difference is night and day for me.

1010s make the 440s feel very thin under foot, and are a much more athletic feeling shoe, they kind of made me wanna run and jump, and skate for that matter. I was kind of blown away at how much more support they had, slightly less board feel yes, but not detrimentally so. The heel is a bit chunk though, kind of messed my flick up a bit.  On a pair of 440hi now and although secure, I  am pretty disappointed with the sole in retrospect.

Urtripping

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 530
« Reply #79 on: February 12, 2021, 02:19:32 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Returned the 10s (white) for the black (got them at Tactics at $79); don't care which one I'm skating. Black will feel less like Dad NB vibe, which the white 1010s give off.

Here's the area where it pinched for me straight out of the box (but shoe only, pinky toe side); not my image:

Thank you sir! Maybe that toe pinch/crease effect is a bigger problem with the colorways with leather uppers (black and white og colorways that came out). I have my heart set on the suede pair after reading they feel like athletic shoes and have some more support than 440s...
I saw your mommy and your mommy's dead

DarkPools

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 470
« Reply #80 on: February 12, 2021, 03:15:20 PM »
I have some 1010s (Black and White leather colorway) in an 11 (I'm an 11 in most shoes) and they feel small/tight in the toe box. Should have went with an 11.5. Not sure if suede would have been roomier/a more correct fit but I don't think so.
I personally think NB# cupsoles run 0.5 size small: 440, 1010, 868, 533, 288, etc. I know others have different experiences, though.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2021, 03:38:16 PM by DarkPools »
Super Champion Fun Zone

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #81 on: February 16, 2021, 03:04:55 PM »
I have some 1010s (Black and White leather colorway) in an 11 (I'm an 11 in most shoes) and they feel small/tight in the toe box. Should have went with an 11.5. Not sure if suede would have been roomier/a more correct fit but I don't think so.
I personally think NB# cupsoles run 0.5 size small: 440, 1010, 868, 533, 288, etc. I know others have different experiences, though.

I wear a US10M in Nike and DC, perfect fit (and some vans: Rowans)

The #NB1010 (white leather upper) in a 10 was way to big on me, while only a half size too big, it felt like a full size up too big, lots of toe room and major heel slippage.

The 9.5 #1010 arrived today (black leather upper) and zero heel slippage much better fit, to me they feel like a snug 10, like a Nike. Going to break them in before skating however.

I've only read TTS or a half size too big - now you're saying that they are a half size too small - I don't know if people know what size they are lol - must be a lot of uncomfortable people out there (not saying your wrong tho, but it's 100% contradictory to my first hand experience).

As a size 10, wearing a size 9.5, they are surely not a halfsize too small, normal thumbwidth of room (while standing) and with normal 'standing/active' feet swelling which everyone advises to try shoes on after you've been up and about for a while (like filling your tires for air only after you've driven for a while).

« Last Edit: February 16, 2021, 03:21:23 PM by Xen »

pointandclick

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 243
« Reply #82 on: February 16, 2021, 03:24:01 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

The #NB1010 (white leather upper) in a 10 was way to big on me, while only a half size too big, it felt like a full size up too big, lots of toe room and major heel slippage.

The 9.5 #1010 arrived today (black leather upper) and zero heel slippage much better fit, to me they feel like a snug 10, like a Nike. Going to break them in before skating however.

I've only read TTS or a half size too big - now you're saying that they are a half size too small - I don't know if people know what size they are lol - must be a lot of uncomfortable people out there (not saying your wrong tho, but it's 100% contradictory to my first hand experience).

As a size 10, wearing a size 9.5, they are surely not a halfsize too small, normal thumbwidth of room (while standing) and with normal 'standing/active' feet swelling which everyone advises to try shoes on after you've been up and about for a while (like filling your tires for air only after you've driven for a while).

im a 7 in everything dc and adidas, normally the same with nb (306 and 440) most of the 7's in the 1010's are too big so i have to try to find a 6.5. shoe skates so well in the one 7 thats smallish

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #83 on: February 16, 2021, 06:03:59 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
im a 7 in everything dc and adidas, normally the same with nb (306 and 440) most of the 7's in the 1010's are too big so i have to try to find a 6.5. shoe skates so well in the one 7 thats smallish

Could be small variances in the shoes themselves, hell my left foot is slightly larger than my right so they say you fit to your larger foot, but I try and find a middle ground, as sizing to my left foot makes the right swim.

I'm wearing them around the house and they are breaking in fast! I can feel the heel but it's more gradual than say, a busenitz high-heel lift.

Pretty stoked to be in a leather cup, I always wore Jordans/Nike/Adidas high tops the growing up so they've got a good nostalgia feel going on...if only they were mids!

Diocletian

« Reply #84 on: February 16, 2021, 06:29:02 PM »
Xen's arm stylin on you 8)

Lloyd Braun

• Rep: 80
« Reply #85 on: February 16, 2021, 06:39:40 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Here's the area where it pinched for me straight out of the box (but shoe only, pinky toe side); not my image:

[close]

Thank you sir! Maybe that toe pinch/crease effect is a bigger problem with the colorways with leather uppers (black and white og colorways that came out). I have my heart set on the suede pair after reading they feel like athletic shoes and have some more support than 440s...

I have a pair of the all black (suede) which I’m currently skating, and the first white colorway. I don’t notice the pinch thing described in the suede but do a bit in the white/leather ones. Not terrible but I have noticed it. I 100% recommend the shoe, I also have the Knox 440s and the 1010’s are much more supportive, feel sturdier throughout but still have great board feel. Heels locked in real good. The sole is my favorite part, grips perfect. I’d like to get the wheat/black but I have my whole back stock of 868s to go through. It’s going to be a minute before I need shoes (didn’t need the tiagos but was curious)

DarkPools

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 470
« Reply #86 on: February 17, 2021, 01:07:18 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]

Could be small variances in the shoes themselves, hell my left foot is slightly larger than my right so they say you fit to your larger foot, but I try and find a middle ground, as sizing to my left foot makes the right swim.

I'm wearing them around the house and they are breaking in fast! I can feel the heel but it's more gradual than say, a busenitz high-heel lift.

Pretty stoked to be in a leather cup, I always wore Jordans/Nike/Adidas high tops the growing up so they've got a good nostalgia feel going on...if only they were mids!

I saw that everyone was saying TTS or half big (half big surprised me since NB# was almost always 0.5 size small since the black box days and I have tried a handful of NB shoes on over time on to confirm this) so I thought I'd add my experience to see if I was alone. It might be the leather that's making it so tight. I'm sure I'll be fine in my 11, but I like shoes to be comfortable, so I may try 11.5 if I get a chance to rule out which is better for ME.

Everyone's feet are shaped slightly different so they may not have the same fit in some areas as I do. I recognize that.
 I'm a US 11 for sure. Van's, Nike, Lakai, Etnies vulcs, Most eS, and most Adidas fit me TTS comfortably in 11.
For further reference, I'm a 10.5 in NB 212/213 and an 11.5 in 440, 553V2 (12 in 533V1), 868, 255, and 288. Maybe I'm closer to an 11.5 in NB shoes' fit? I've measured my feet sometime ago and they were around 11 from what I recall but I also have a bunion (hereditary) on my right foot so i look for slightly spacious toe boxes/flexible toe boxes. I digress. I like the Tiagos though! I feel that they will skate great though!

Also, @pointandclick  the Point Skate Shop (Sale Gear thread) has size 6 and 7 NB 1010 for $40 right now. Not sure if they've sold out yet, but it's something! :D
Super Champion Fun Zone

pointandclick

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 243
« Reply #87 on: February 17, 2021, 08:51:35 AM »
Also, @pointandclick  the Point Skate Shop (Sale Gear thread) has size 6 and 7 NB 1010 for $40 right now. Not sure if they've sold out yet, but it's something! :D
thanks for the mention, i peeped and i think the 6 is gone. 7 is just too tough to figure out with that shoe. im gonna wait for 6.5.

ok boomer

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1027
  • Gnar Kook
« Reply #88 on: February 17, 2021, 08:59:53 AM »
I'm pondering trying the new Nyjahs whenever I need some new shoes. I'm cupsole only and I do like the style, even if I don't really like the guy

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #89 on: February 17, 2021, 03:03:51 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]

I saw that everyone was saying TTS or half big (half big surprised me since NB# was almost always 0.5 size small since the black box days and I have tried a handful of NB shoes on over time on to confirm this) so I thought I'd add my experience to see if I was alone. It might be the leather that's making it so tight. I'm sure I'll be fine in my 11, but I like shoes to be comfortable, so I may try 11.5 if I get a chance to rule out which is better for ME.

Everyone's feet are shaped slightly different so they may not have the same fit in some areas as I do. I recognize that.
 I'm a US 11 for sure. Van's, Nike, Lakai, Etnies vulcs, Most eS, and most Adidas fit me TTS comfortably in 11.
For further reference, I'm a 10.5 in NB 212/213 and an 11.5 in 440, 553V2 (12 in 533V1), 868, 255, and 288. Maybe I'm closer to an 11.5 in NB shoes' fit? I've measured my feet sometime ago and they were around 11 from what I recall but I also have a bunion (hereditary) on my right foot so i look for slightly spacious toe boxes/flexible toe boxes. I digress. I like the Tiagos though! I feel that they will skate great though!

I chalk it up it to variances in #s manufacturing...especially if someone is saying they had a 'small' seven vs a 'larger' one. The leather is tight, no doubt, especially on the sides; I also get that the toe area, especially where the big toe is can feel cramped making the shoe feel too small because there isn't any give yet across the 'cap' (also, people, cut your fuckign toenails ;).

Wore them inside all day, after taking them off for bed my arches had a little ache to them (I usually wear slip-on pros with pop cush indoors so no arch at all). Putting them on first thing out of bed (I'm trying to maximize break in before skating), I could really feel the 'pinch' on the toe crease at the pinky area and totally chalk that up to the leather, which I have found takes a bit longer to break in than suede.

I need wide toeboxs as well but not wide where most people think a shoe is wide (like how people say the Walker 1.0 is a wide shoe when it really is only wide in the mid-foot area; but it might be wide for people with narrow ass feat).  I've got a thin heel and arch area then it barney rubbles real fast.

They feel and look great (especially looking down on them) and have always been a fan of the pointed, yet square NB toe, like the dress shoes from the early 2000s ;)