Author Topic: Cupsole Recommendations  (Read 35747 times)

fuhkin_powahfood_kid

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1352
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Re: Cupsole Recommendations
« Reply #90 on: February 17, 2021, 04:44:02 PM »
Still haven't skated them yet, but I've been wearing the Knox 440hi for 2 days straight, in and out of the house. I'm coming back from a gnarly ankle sprain that left me imobilized for a few weeks and am dealing with swollen toes from an epsom soak that was too hot and scalded my piggies. First pair of cupsoles I've ever worn for chilling and first pair of skate shoes I've worn for chilling in a few years because I've got fucked up feet. So my input so far is that they're comfortable and wide enough out the box (if it matters, I generally need a wider shoe even without swollen feet). While they're fairly stiff, I feel like the offer support around the instep and ankle structure. they don't have the padding that a non-skate new balance is gonna offer, but they're still comfortable enough to walk around in. look forward to skating in them
If you plant ice, you’re gonna harvest wind

Urtripping

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 530
« Reply #91 on: February 17, 2021, 06:18:13 PM »
Still haven't skated them yet, but I've been wearing the Knox 440hi for 2 days straight, in and out of the house. I'm coming back from a gnarly ankle sprain that left me imobilized for a few weeks and am dealing with swollen toes from an epsom soak that was too hot and scalded my piggies. First pair of cupsoles I've ever worn for chilling and first pair of skate shoes I've worn for chilling in a few years because I've got fucked up feet. So my input so far is that they're comfortable and wide enough out the box (if it matters, I generally need a wider shoe even without swollen feet). While they're fairly stiff, I feel like the offer support around the instep and ankle structure. they don't have the padding that a non-skate new balance is gonna offer, but they're still comfortable enough to walk around in. look forward to skating in them

The stiffness took some getting used to for me when I first skated them, but by the end of the session I was pretty sold on the shoe... Support had me feeling real confident. I needed a better insole than the one provided, but I know everyone has their needs/preferences when it comes to that.

Unrelated to performance, but the all black with orange/red touches looks fantastic.
I saw your mommy and your mommy's dead

fuhkin_powahfood_kid

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1352
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #92 on: February 17, 2021, 07:09:44 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

The stiffness took some getting used to for me when I first skated them, but by the end of the session I was pretty sold on the shoe... Support had me feeling real confident. I needed a better insole than the one provided, but I know everyone has their needs/preferences when it comes to that.

Unrelated to performance, but the all black with orange/red touches looks fantastic.

ya, for real. other than some OG accels and ipaths back when, my first cups were a pair of accel slims a few months ago that are a bit tight in the toe box and feel thin soled when doing anything other than skating- walking, pressing gas pedal of car, etc. I can't chuck them though because they're in good shape and I spent money on them... these 440s feel far, far more comfortable and like I said, I look forward to skating them.
If you plant ice, you’re gonna harvest wind

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 938
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
« Reply #93 on: February 20, 2021, 11:59:09 AM »
First session in the 1010s after wearing all day inside since I got them (3-4 days?).

The irritating pinch on the pinky side vanished as soon as I started pushing around, 9.5s (I'm a 10) were the way to go, no cramped toes.

The left upper around the ankle would dig into the area just below the ankle at times, but the collar is still pretty stiff; that area also got shredded on the first heelflip...now I know where to crazy glue.

I'm digging them; going to snag some suede next. I have to lace them all the way, stopping at the yellow eyelet feels way to loose.

Probably the best thing about these are the little heel pads that brace/hold your achilles and your heel (FantomFit maybe?), the blue pads in the heel/collar area here:

ok boomer

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1027
  • Gnar Kook
« Reply #94 on: February 20, 2021, 05:27:22 PM »
Sounds like a good fit for the heels

FUBAR

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 231
« Reply #95 on: February 20, 2021, 05:38:21 PM »
First session in the 1010s after wearing all day inside since I got them (3-4 days?).

The irritating pinch on the pinky side vanished as soon as I started pushing around, 9.5s (I'm a 10) were the way to go, no cramped toes.

The left upper around the ankle would dig into the area just below the ankle at times, but the collar is still pretty stiff; that area also got shredded on the first heelflip...now I know where to crazy glue.

I'm digging them; going to snag some suede next. I have to lace them all the way, stopping at the yellow eyelet feels way to loose.

Probably the best thing about these are the little heel pads that brace/hold your achilles and your heel (FantomFit maybe?), the blue pads in the heel/collar area here:

Ugh that irritaing pinch on the pinky toe is the reason I cant skate in Vans. The pain gets so bad it sucks to just walk in them, let alone skate.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #96 on: February 20, 2021, 05:52:05 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Ugh that irritating pinch on the pinky toe is the reason I cant skate in Vans. The pain gets so bad it sucks to just walk in them, let alone skate.

It was worse walking in them to break them in than it was the first few hours of skating in them so either I got used to it or it's gone (have to see how it goes for tomorrow's session).

MusclesMarinara

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 100
« Reply #97 on: February 20, 2021, 07:05:24 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I deleted my last post about the 440 hi, cause apparently my dumbass skipped these two posts before posting.

I have a pair arriving this Wednesday, since I can't try on in person. But I'm also nursing a sprained ankle currently and am searching for some stability and support while it heals. Sounds like the 440 hi is exactly what I need at the moment from your guys posts.
Alex Olson never had the makings of a varsity athlete.

ballintoohard

« Reply #98 on: February 20, 2021, 07:29:12 PM »
Can anyone that has skated Jordan 1’s compare them to current skate cups in terms of board feel and shit?

Urtripping

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #99 on: February 20, 2021, 08:14:56 PM »
Can anyone that has skated Jordan 1’s compare them to current skate cups in terms of board feel and shit?

I'd say they have very, very similar boardfeel to dunks... the sole is a little stiffer/harder than an SB dunk maybe, and the shape is a bit narrower. The dunk is the best comparison though, the shoes are similar in many ways.

They break in so well and feel really great after a week or two of skating. I liked skating the lows quite a bit, but mids and highs are my thing so I prefer those cuts. If you can get your hands on some highs, they're usually made from the highest quality materials. They're all great though, I think they feel like they were made for skating.

ballintoohard

« Reply #100 on: February 20, 2021, 08:33:10 PM »
Dope, I've never skated actual Dunks, but have a pair of Jordan 1's. I might toss in some of my Blazer insoles, but the Hefe Luxx ones I got feel pretty damn good. I don't like the insole of the Crockett Hi's for skating while the rest of the shoe feels good the board feel is a bit too mush.

laramieskate55

• Rep: -46
« Reply #101 on: February 20, 2021, 09:30:22 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

I deleted my last post about the 440 hi, cause apparently my dumbass skipped these two posts before posting.

I have a pair arriving this Wednesday, since I can't try on in person. But I'm also nursing a sprained ankle currently and am searching for some stability and support while it heals. Sounds like the 440 hi is exactly what I need at the moment from your guys posts.

Did you get your regular size? Thinking about getting some...

Mcidraque

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 208
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #102 on: February 20, 2021, 11:01:40 PM »
haven't checked the whole thread but here's my two cent:

- reebooks: npcII or club C revenge

- nike: AF1 (if your having sore feet) and non sb dunks

Ok

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1092
« Reply #103 on: February 21, 2021, 07:10:37 AM »
haven't checked the whole thread but here's my two cent:

- reebooks: npcII or club C revenge

- nike: AF1 (if your having sore feet) and non sb dunks

Af1’s are hard to skate for me. I miss the flick on tricks, more often than I catch it. I need to get some premium ones, with the pebbled leather and such, the regular ones feel like plastic.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1567
« Reply #104 on: February 21, 2021, 07:17:26 AM »
Yeah I've always thought af1's were out of control thick....that said tons of kids were skating Jordan 4-5's a few years back....

IpathCats

« Reply #105 on: February 21, 2021, 07:27:48 AM »
I got a pair of reebok bb4600 and loved them so much I ordered a pair of the bb4500. They don't look great, but I heard someone on here say once, the worse a shoe looks, they better it looks once skated in. And I agree. I like a medium-ish traditional cupsole. The type you can't really skate new because it HAS to get broken in. I was stoked on the telfords, but that xlk shit is kind of a joke. Feels like a vulc tbh. I was a little bummed when my pair showed up in the mail. I'll throw some footprints in there and skate them, but it Deff wasn't what I was looking for.

MusclesMarinara

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 100
« Reply #106 on: February 21, 2021, 08:32:42 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

Did you get your regular size? Thinking about getting some...

I did, after reading some other posts on a couple shoe threads in here I decided to go my normal size which is 10. I bought them off zumiez, sorry but they're way too good a deal not to buy them, so if they're not the right size atleast they're an easy return in store for my money back.
Alex Olson never had the makings of a varsity athlete.

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1888
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #107 on: February 21, 2021, 08:44:54 AM »

Tried on a friend's pair in 9.5 and was amazed how slim they actually felt on the feet. They look really bulk and like a dad shoe, but they felt bulky and thin in the right areas. Didn't get a chance to skate them but I'm convinced a cupsole is my future.

Just got my first pair of NB 913, stiff for a start and a little narrow on the front, got the shoe stretchers in to soften them up.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Ok

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1092
« Reply #108 on: February 21, 2021, 09:08:02 AM »
Yeah I've always thought af1's were out of control thick....that said tons of kids were skating Jordan 4-5's a few years back....

Cyrus has an amazing kickflip in a pair. Whenever I try it looks like I’m trying to do that Yoshi trick Gershon did for the A-team challenge, ollie version no flip.
Kids can skate anything those young bastards.
I should probably just skate og accels (they look wild), or be attempting to thrift old ipaths, aj1’s, etc.

Or just be boring and stick with Tyshawn's and ave’s

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #109 on: February 21, 2021, 03:23:44 PM »
Today's session, the fit was a little pinchy at the start but soon went away (faster than yesterday); the 1010s just require a good amount of break in compared to a lot of other shoes it seems.

Urtripping

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #110 on: February 21, 2021, 04:25:23 PM »
Today's session, the fit was a little pinchy at the start but soon went away (faster than yesterday); the 1010s just require a good amount of break in compared to a lot of other shoes it seems.

My suede pair is stuck in a regional distribution center with USPS but when they get here I'll see if the change in material affects the pinch problem at all (unless someone already has a pair and can weigh in)

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 692
« Reply #111 on: February 22, 2021, 02:19:54 AM »
I have been skating the Puigs this weekend for the first time. Coming from worn in Vulcs I found the sole very sticky. I struggled with quickly adapting foot positions in a line but I assume this will get better once they‘re broken in. I also got a blister on my toe where the tongue touches it, because the tongue is very hard. Further I already broke the flick foot lace as I use the golden eyelet and have now ordered replacement shoelaces, hoping they will fit as I am going to need new ones every week... Finally my hip and legs hurt today more than usual but I blame that to the good weather which meant longer sessions.

So do I recommend them? Not sure yet...
why come?

Life is too short to be angry at the Shrimp Blunt intro

Sila

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 320
  • Jamu Gost
« Reply #112 on: February 22, 2021, 02:23:22 AM »
For those that were fans of the Reynolds G6 cup, what are you skating now? I know there's the Spanky but I like a bit more collar paddding.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #113 on: February 22, 2021, 07:19:33 AM »
I have been skating the Puigs this weekend for the first time. Coming from worn in Vulcs I found the sole very sticky. I struggled with quickly adapting foot positions in a line but I assume this will get better once they‘re broken in. I also got a blister on my toe where the tongue touches it, because the tongue is very hard. Further I already broke the flick foot lace as I use the golden eyelet and have now ordered replacement shoelaces, hoping they will fit as I am going to need new ones every week... Finally my hip and legs hurt today more than usual but I blame that to the good weather which meant longer sessions.

How's the toe box on the new style? I was a fan of his is first shoe; still wear the crystal white/sunglow colorway as a chiller, lots of compliments.

michael scarn

« Reply #114 on: February 22, 2021, 08:44:15 AM »
It's probably been said but the lakai xlk soles are actually so good. I'm on my third pair of the remastered Carroll shoe, and i have a 4th waiting.

To me it's the perfect amount of padding.

ballintoohard

« Reply #115 on: February 22, 2021, 12:34:49 PM »
Picked up some 440's yesterday and skated them today. Really stoked on them. Really good boardfeel, good support, good grip out of the box. Also skated my Jordan 1's, which were solid as well and that's all it took to convert me.

fs1/2cab

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 595
    • a short part avatar image
« Reply #116 on: February 22, 2021, 01:25:52 PM »
It's probably been said but the lakai xlk soles are actually so good. I'm on my third pair of the remastered Carroll shoe, and i have a 4th waiting.

Did you went with your usual Lakai size in the Carroll's?
I wanna try them but I heard they run a bit smaller.
IG: @flowterspace

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 692
« Reply #117 on: February 22, 2021, 01:30:06 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

How's the toe box on the new style? I was a fan of his is first shoe; still wear the crystal white/sunglow colorway as a chiller, lots of compliments.

You mean except giving me blisters? Can‘t compare to the old version but I‘d say more or less similar to the Busenitz.
why come?

Life is too short to be angry at the Shrimp Blunt intro

ballintoohard

« Reply #118 on: February 22, 2021, 01:36:11 PM »
When I tried on the Puig's they felt thinner than many vulcs and don't have much structure. Cupsole in name only.

michael scarn

« Reply #119 on: February 22, 2021, 03:26:57 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Did you went with your usual Lakai size in the Carroll's?
I wanna try them but I heard they run a bit smaller.

They feel true to size to me. They're tight for a couple days but loosen up pretty quick. My foot is more short and wide as opposed to long and thin though, if that makes a difference.