Author Topic: Dwindle - Made in China wood  (Read 7391 times)

Bigwheelbite

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -162
Dwindle - Made in China wood
« on: February 12, 2021, 12:21:03 PM »
Just wondered if anyone else notices that Made in China decks (Dwindle) are nowhere near as good as Bareback and P.S Stix etc?

Have to say its disgusting that all the Dwindle brands sacrifice quality over profit margins. Was shocked to discover brands like Almost & Palace having their decks made in China. No wonder they've been able to keep them under 50.

Baby on Board

• Rep: 33
Re: Dwindle - Made in China wood
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2021, 12:36:57 PM »
Skated a few enjoi’s last year and actually really liked em. I got one of the new deal x enjoi boards they did and I think it was ps stix but I could be wrong. But then I skated a team board after that and felt just as good.

theloniousmonk

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 282
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2021, 12:39:25 PM »
Idk, I have ridden some of their decks in the past couple of years, and I thought they were fine. I wish they had some options for mellow kicks mellow concave, but also I like that they support some cool dudes, and I like a lot of the videos that they put out. I’m not too conflicted about the whole thing and have a bbs board right now, but this whole chinawood thing/is dwindle terrible has been talked about to death ever since that first ad that had Chet Thomas and Gershon Mosley and the whole team standing behind the product.

Firebert

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 230
    • Instagram avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2021, 12:43:17 PM »
I wish they had some options for mellow kicks mellow concave

twic3

• Rep: 16
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2021, 12:48:35 PM »
I loved the palace boards I skated, dwindle quality has gone up alot the past few years. Same with girl/chocolate apparently from what people told me.

Logistically it makes sense to make boards in china if you're a big brand like crailtap/dwindle or a company based in Europe and it helps the shops/distributions outside of the US also. As Americans were kinda spoiled because we get to skate made in mexico/USA boards. People in Europe/Asia/Austrailia get the made in china pro boards.

Dwyck

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 150
  • Harley-Davidson Ironwing
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2021, 01:11:18 PM »
i heard their shapes are far more consistent that any north american woodshops
Regular stance is a mental disorder defined by the DSM-5

maggotspawn

• Rep: 4
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2021, 01:32:15 PM »
I've skated MIC blank decks before. They were fine. Making decks isn't brain surgery.

dunc

• Rep: 52
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2021, 01:36:03 PM »
The boards are great. Been skating dwindle wood for ages and never had an issue. I also make wooden toys out of skateboards and dwindle wood is the best to work with as some companies use patchwork ply under the top layers. Also the single press helps with consistency.
They laughed when I told my friends that I was going to be a comedian.....well they are not laughing now!

Reed Richards

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 106
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2021, 01:42:32 PM »
I have a Samarria Enjoi deck that skates just fine.  I feel like companies based in China (Dwindle & Crailtap) have switched up their quality control process a bit and their decks have improved.

Bigwheelbite

« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2021, 02:01:45 PM »
Point is we shouldn't be supporting 'made in china' or brands that are making their product there.

It should be kept as local as possible and China shouldn't even be an option tbf.

Anything made in china is not going to be as good.

European brands should stick to having their wood made in Europe such as HLC and the rest of the world should be BBS or PS Stix in Mexico. The only decks that should be made in China should be local brands based in China or South East Asia.

It's just pathetic that a European or American brand have their wood pressed in China. People need to wake up and think about what their supporting...

johnes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -238
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2021, 02:03:06 PM »
Dwindle decks have always been good to me. I personally don’t care is skate stuff is made in China.
I’m a fat Siamese cat.

RichardBarkley

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -762
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2021, 02:08:14 PM »
Point is we shouldn't be supporting 'made in china' or brands that are making their product there.

It should be kept as local as possible and China shouldn't even be an option tbf.

Anything made in china is not going to be as good.

European brands should stick to having their wood made in Europe such as HLC and the rest of the world should be BBS or PS Stix in Mexico. The only decks that should be made in China should be local brands based in China or South East Asia.

It's just pathetic that a European or American brand have their wood pressed in China. People need to wake up and think about what their supporting...

Why?

I live in Europe. Why would I care if my board is made in china ?
I want to fight you so badly richard
Please give me your address ill make it my life goal to punsh your face in

Bigwheelbite

« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2021, 02:09:33 PM »
Dwindle decks have always been good to me. I personally don’t care is skate stuff is made in China.

We should though...

Not about supporting MADE IN CHINA

twic3

• Rep: 16
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2021, 02:14:18 PM »
OP is a trumper confirmed

jay_nev

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 306
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2021, 02:25:40 PM »
Or a troll

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 999
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2021, 02:27:47 PM »
Just wondered if anyone else notices that Made in China decks (Dwindle) are nowhere near as good as Bareback and P.S Stix etc?

Have to say its disgusting that all the Dwindle brands sacrifice quality over profit margins. Was shocked to discover brands like Almost & Palace having their decks made in China. No wonder they've been able to keep them under 50.

Respectfully disagree.

On the subject of quality only, they beat every woodshop out there when it comes to board dimension consistency (looking at you DLX); you get the same shit as advertised, everytime. The boards are always crispy (R7s being the best of the lot imo), stiff and poppy, and always with smooth rails (not that I care, but PS is sloppy as fuck these days here). But along with Steep kicks you have to like that stiff, epoxy board feel some do, some don't, and it's too bad the mellow/mellow or mellow/medium options are gone (tho Madness still has a few in those combinations for now).

I blame it on P2s, if you liked them (or VX), you like the way DSM boards feel. Skating anything but NHS after a dwindle feels waterlogged and dead.

Always found PS more prone to chipping than any other wood shop and certainly prefer BBS over PS (BBS pop lasts longer than PS's 1-2 week popsog). As far as durability goes, DSM keeps pop longer but they all last around the same when it comes to razor tail.

I've a Palace and Almost currently setup in my quiver and prefer the Dwindle feel to anything else I've got because I prefer that feel.

The Impact lights are where DSM fails, the shapes are different than the normal shapes and the boards are the heaviest out there this side of Slave (they are only 'light' compared to the the old Full or Double Impacts which are MIA for years).

What I find odd is that Primitive decks are significantly lighter than anything out there yet are made in the same woodshops as a lot of other mainstream brands.

Plus, not sure what those other woodshops or brands are doing:

https://dwindle.com/sustainability

« Last Edit: February 12, 2021, 04:07:09 PM by Xen »

cky enthusiast

« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2021, 02:53:42 PM »
damn dude where you finna get your electronics from?!

Bigwheelbite

« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2021, 03:36:55 PM »

ergh carbon footprint for one and doing your bit to keep it as local as possible. All European brands should have their decks made in Spain by HLC or their own countries.

damn dude where you finna get your electronics from?!

Plenty of electronics not made in China ;)

Or a troll

LOL how so? What for starting a thread for open discussion - yeah OK, good one! Jog on...

OP is a trumper confirmed

Really? Not even gonna entertain this level of low IQ

Expand Quote

[close]

Respectfully disagree.

On the subject of quality only, they beat every woodshop out there when it comes to board dimension consistency (looking at you DLX); you get the same shit as advertised, everytime. The boards are always crispy (R7s being the best of the lot imo), stiff and poppy, and always with smooth rails (not that I care, but PS is sloppy as fuck these days here). But along with Steep kicks you have to like that stiff, epoxy board feel some do, some don't, and it's too bad the mellow/mellow or mellow/medium options are gone (tho Madness still has a few in those combinations for now).

I blame it on P2s, if you liked them (or VX), you like the way DSM boards feel. Skating anything but NHS after a dwindle feels waterlogged and dead.

Always found PS more prone to chipping than any other wood shop and certainly prefer BBS over PS (BBS pop lasts longer than PS's 1-2 week popsog). As far as durability goes, DSM keeps pop longer but they all last around the same when it comes to razor tail.

I've a Palace and Almost currently setup in my quiver and prefer the Dwindle feel to anything else I've got because I prefer that feel.

The Impact lights are where DSM fails, the shapes are different than the normal shapes and the boards are the heaviest out there this side of Slave (they are only 'light' compared to the the old Full or Double Impacts which are MIA for years).

What I find odd is that Primitive decks are significantly lighter than anything out there yet are made in the same woodshops as a lot of other mainstream brands.

Each to their own I guess but from a moral POV the skateboard industry should not be supporting made in China period. Everything made in China just isn't as good - It's a known fact. Like I said, brands should be trying their best to have products made as close to home as possible. Anyone who doesn't care obvs gives zero fucks about the planet.

BBS wood is hands down the best. All brands that have their wood pressed here actually care about giving skaters the best product possible.

cky enthusiast

« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2021, 03:37:53 PM »
name a common electronic item not manufactured in china

Dwyck

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 150
  • Harley-Davidson Ironwing
« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2021, 03:39:51 PM »
Cant you write into the New York Times about your stupid trade war bullshit
Regular stance is a mental disorder defined by the DSM-5

dunc

« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2021, 03:47:33 PM »
I live in New Zealand and China is closest.
They laughed when I told my friends that I was going to be a comedian.....well they are not laughing now!

sometimeperhaps

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 143
« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2021, 03:47:45 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Each to their own I guess but from a moral POV the skateboard industry should not be supporting made in China period. Everything made in China just isn't as good - It's a known fact. Like I said, brands should be trying their best to have products made as close to home as possible. Anyone who doesn't care obvs gives zero fucks about the planet.

BBS wood is hands down the best. All brands that have their wood pressed here actually care about giving skaters the best product possible.

To say everything made in China is bad is a stretch. While there is a lot of low quality items made there, they also manufacture high quality items. They manufacture one of everything so it’s easy to find good and bad examples.

When you have a product that breaks or stops working after two years, it’s not always fair to blame the person who manufactured it. It was likely designed by someone who was told by marketing/ceo to “make this last 2 years, since our new item will release then”. Planned obsolescence is very much a reality in all industries.

I’m a strong supporter of buying from small brands, locally and not supporting the Amazon’s of the world. But I’ll never turn away a product made in China if it has a good reputation.

RichardBarkley

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -762
« Reply #22 on: February 12, 2021, 04:03:23 PM »

And in Europe we dont view China the same as maybe the US does.

I've no preference or allegiance to either side. 

I want to fight you so badly richard
Please give me your address ill make it my life goal to punsh your face in

johnes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -238
« Reply #23 on: February 12, 2021, 04:08:33 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

We should though...

Chinese people need jobs too tho
I’m a fat Siamese cat.

Bigwheelbite

« Reply #24 on: February 12, 2021, 04:14:21 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

We should though...

[close]
Chinese people need jobs too tho

They have plenty already without the tiny skateboard industry thanks ;)

So it would make sense for NZ and those that are closest to China as I mentioned...

Expand Quote
[close]

And in Europe we dont view China the same as maybe the US does.

I've no preference or allegiance to either side. 

As I mentioned already, carbon footprint alone is enough of a reason not to - but its clear that a lot of (prob most) ppl give zero fucks about that hence why we are where we are today. Plenty of good wood shops in Europe to not have to go all the way to China.

Not rocket science - it's doing the right thing

What happened to just being more aware and ethical about supporting where shit is made?

Or does support your local mean jack shit now?

Cant you write into the New York Times about your stupid trade war bullshit

lol good one - Pointless reply!

cky enthusiast

« Reply #25 on: February 12, 2021, 04:33:49 PM »
nice to hear you’re an environmentalist- what other steps are you taking to not contribute to pollution? it’s a big issue of concern for me as well so i’d love to hear the ways you help

roomservice

• Rep: -209
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #26 on: February 12, 2021, 04:44:00 PM »
if you post on slap you're destroying the environment. electricity aint free ya know

Bigwheelbite

« Reply #27 on: February 12, 2021, 04:49:42 PM »
nice to hear you’re an environmentalist- what other steps are you taking to not contribute to pollution? it’s a big issue of concern for me as well so i’d love to hear the ways you help

Not supporting made in china stuff where possible for starters ;)

cky enthusiast

« Reply #28 on: February 12, 2021, 05:42:07 PM »
i said what OTHER steps

dunc

« Reply #29 on: February 12, 2021, 05:55:59 PM »
I don’t own a car, I ride a bike and I buy two boards a year. Chill the fuck out!!