Author Topic: Weird Stories About Pros  (Read 76191 times)

Star Whores Episode I: The Fellatio Menace

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 229
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: Weird Stories About Pros
« Reply #300 on: March 05, 2021, 07:45:11 AM »
i played jerry hsu in a game of skate once like 15 years ago.
he gave me two letters instantly and bailed the next trick. it was then my turn again and i did a nollie kickflip (i just learned that month). he landed primo and then directly on his tailbone and was like "fuck, you won!" and left.
The whole encounter lasted for like 5 min and had like 20 spectators.
(between my friends i was then considered the guy that won skate against jerry hsu for a while, but thats not the story).

nothing too weird happened but it was all in all a super awkward situation for everyone involved.

You're still the guy who one-hit killed Jerry Hsu in a game of SKATE to me, brother.
if post- retirement duke nukem bagged that azz i have a chance too

20sack

• Rep: 4
« Reply #301 on: March 05, 2021, 04:25:25 PM »
back when i was growing up in OC, i delivered chinese food to nyjah. dude lived in a rich people type gated community in Huntington Beach. i knew he lived in my city because apparently he would have some crazy house parties. he opens the door and im kinda stunned and proceeds to tip me $1 on like a $40 order.

Watson

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2281
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #302 on: March 05, 2021, 06:28:34 PM »
First time I ever went to LA in 2002, in the first few days my friend took me to this spot:

I was hyped because at that point I had never seen it in a video and it was perfect. While we were skating around warming up I noticed this dude with no shirt on doing push ups over by the swing set. After doing push ups for awhile he stood up and was looking all wild with a crazy moustache. I was looking a the dude and my friend who lives in LA rolled up and said "Oh yeah, that's SAD."

It was indeed Jay Stephens and it was 11:00 in the morning and he did not have a board with him.

cky enthusiast

« Reply #303 on: March 05, 2021, 06:32:37 PM »
no time for slippin

EdLawndale

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1117
    • My Wife avatar image
« Reply #304 on: March 05, 2021, 06:49:09 PM »
back when i was growing up in OC, i delivered chinese food to nyjah. dude lived in a rich people type gated community in Huntington Beach. i knew he lived in my city because apparently he would have some crazy house parties. he opens the door and im kinda stunned and proceeds to tip me $1 on like a $40 order.

$1? Bogus.
"Was just about to say, wtf is up with this EdLawndale guy?"

Lucky_Basek

• Rep: 55
« Reply #305 on: March 06, 2021, 03:51:02 AM »
In January 2020, I was eating dinner with my cousin (who doesn't skate) in Surry Hills in Sydney.

I was travelling for work and had hardly any clothes with me and it was super hot weather, the last of the bushfire season.

I left work early and I had decided to skate the park in Redfern that afternoon so sweated through my t-shirt. It was drenched. The only clean thing I had was just in this undershirt thing with a really low neck and no shape, a bit like something one of the band members from Colour Me Bad might wear. I had on shorts too. I believe they were Jean shorts. The baggy kind. 1990s steez.

After being well soused at dinner we decided to get some Rye whiskey to drink at the air bnb where I was staying.
When we went to the bottle-o to get the rye, i froze. Chima was buying a six pack. I told my cousin, 'thats Chima Ferguson!'. My cousin had no idea who Chima was. I think I might have given him a loud explanation. He said 'go say hi'.

So as Chima turned away from the counter with his purchase, I lurched towards him, and said 'Chima! I'm a big fan.' He looked a bit surprised and said 'thanks mate, have a good night'. And shook my hand. He went out and untied his dogs and walked into the night.

On the half hour walk home I went through all Chima's parts in detail in a really loud voice while my cousin feigned interest and we walked in the middle of the road.

I realise this is not a story about pros behaving in a weird way. But the next day, nursing a hangover and dehydration from the skate the day before, I did think about what Chima must have seen. A drunk middle aged guy with a greying hair and stubble trying really hard to act sober in a sweaty undershirt exposing unsightly chest and shoulder hair looking like a washed up member of Colour Me Bad calling his name in a bottle-o while another middle aged guy holding a bottle of rye gave gentle encouragement.

And he still smiled.

Pros must have lots of stories about weird non pros who come up to them in public.

I imagine Chima went home and said, 'man this dude in the bottle-o....'

Jeff Bezos The Antichrist

• Rep: 29
« Reply #306 on: March 06, 2021, 10:55:21 AM »
We were drinking out front at a house party after PhxAm one year in Tempe and Marquis Preston seemingly out of nowhere stumbles in from the dark streets barefoot and starts bumming beers and asking people what size shoes they wear and if he could borrow them. He left back into the depths of the night wearing vans and carrying a PBR, never to be seen again. This was when Stay Gold had just came out.

silhouette

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1572
« Reply #307 on: March 06, 2021, 12:13:06 PM »
2008 Independent tour stop in Rouen, France, I caught Stu Graham hauling ass in the bowl and trying a trick where he frontside bonelesses but headbutts his board at the apex then jumps to land back on it. At first I thought it was a joke but then he kept trying it for at least an hour, he kept slipping out the same way every time and at the end of the day I'm not sure he made it, but he adorned a gash on his forehead and gave off Wesley Willis vibes.

tura

• Rep: 45
« Reply #308 on: March 06, 2021, 04:06:10 PM »
I have to say, hearing all of these negative words spoken against Brent has been very distressing for me.

people called brent are always fucking weird

Dwyck

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 154
« Reply #309 on: March 06, 2021, 04:34:35 PM »
He said 'go say hi'.

The start of so many awkward pro interactions. The amount of times my girl or a friends tells me this and I just...
Regular stance is a mental disorder defined by the DSM-5

Allen.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 746
    • Cigarettes for Cardio avatar image
« Reply #310 on: March 07, 2021, 07:53:42 AM »
I refuse to let this thread die.
For someone w.no signature ur awfully hostile, & that is why I do this

duster1

• Rep: 0
« Reply #311 on: March 07, 2021, 08:41:30 AM »
I don’t have the best story but want to contribute

Was buying some weed off this dude at MACBA and we became somewhat homies.

One day he asks if I want to go to lunch with him and some dudes around the corner,

It was just me this dude and Javier Sarmiento.

Javier was really cool and I remember him keeping his napkin extremely neat and clean while he ate, mine was a total mess.

It was cool, but they were speaking Catalan the whole time pretty much so I could not understand the majority of the conversation.

Also, he let some dude borrow his grinder which was brand new, and he got pissed at them for leaving bud in the grinder. Must have not wanted to get busted or something lol
Skating and Baitin

franc

• Rep: 102
« Reply #312 on: March 07, 2021, 01:45:11 PM »
This was either in 2007 or 2009, I can't remember. I was visiting NY, went to Autumn skateshop. JJ was gripping a board there, he completely fucked up and had to ask for another free sheet of Jessup.

Sorry guys.

FUBAR

• Rep: 247
« Reply #313 on: March 07, 2021, 04:39:43 PM »
Expand Quote
I have to say, hearing all of these negative words spoken against Brent has been very distressing for me.
[close]

people called brent are always fucking weird

Every Dan or Dereck I have dealt with in life has been a doucher.

baaaaaaguette

« Reply #314 on: March 07, 2021, 05:59:10 PM »
2008 Independent tour stop in Rouen, France, I caught Stu Graham hauling ass in the bowl and trying a trick where he frontside bonelesses but headbutts his board at the apex then jumps to land back on it. At first I thought it was a joke but then he kept trying it for at least an hour, he kept slipping out the same way every time and at the end of the day I'm not sure he made it, but he adorned a gash on his forehead and gave off Wesley Willis vibes.

Shit, you live in rouen?

Theseaorganization

• Rep: -41
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #315 on: March 07, 2021, 06:16:19 PM »
This was either in 2007 or 2009, I can't remember. I was visiting NY, went to Autumn skateshop. JJ was gripping a board there, he completely fucked up and had to ask for another free sheet of Jessup.

Sorry guys.

By jj you mean jake johnson?

Willie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 308
« Reply #316 on: March 07, 2021, 06:33:00 PM »
Saw Scott Bourne trying a Smith grind repeatedly on a vert wall and he kept bailing. Eventually he slams his board around a bit and says something like “Shit! Fuck! Goddamnit! Motherfucking...Ho ho...” and he picks up the board and does a ho-ho plant. Walks around on his hands for like 5 seconds then goes and lands the Smith.

It was a pretty funny freak out.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 175
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #317 on: March 07, 2021, 07:55:15 PM »
Saw Scott Bourne trying a Smith grind repeatedly on a vert wall and he kept bailing. Eventually he slams his board around a bit and says something like “Shit! Fuck! Goddamnit! Motherfucking...Ho ho...” and he picks up the board and does a ho-ho plant. Walks around on his hands for like 5 seconds then goes and lands the Smith.

that's great!

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

skate_or_dingus

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 256
« Reply #318 on: March 07, 2021, 07:57:21 PM »

This is the best one yet.

DaleSr

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1398
« Reply #319 on: March 07, 2021, 09:08:06 PM »

That's so fucking baller

AssMountain

• Rep: 30
« Reply #320 on: March 07, 2021, 10:38:36 PM »
I once saw Nathan Jackson at Nerang skatepark, shirtless, absolutely obliterating a board. Like smashing it into pieces then smashing the pieces into pieces. Not entirely sure why, he was just chilling before that. This is right around when the Skate Rock China video came out.

Once I was alone I just laid on the futon listening to Leonard Cohen and thinking about the other girl I liked and missed.

Ingenting Polisen

• Rep: -1
    • https://imgur.com/a/ErQuTFP avatar image
« Reply #321 on: March 08, 2021, 12:50:21 AM »
Were living in Barcelona around 2012-13. One time me and my friends had been out partying after skating so had our boards with us although it was like 4 in the morning. All of a sudden we hear someone screaming from a window and it was Penny. He came down to us and wanted to chill. We were super stoked although he was completely out of it.

We had some beers at our place and suggested he would come over to hang which he did. He eventually started to freestyle out on the balcony like crazy which my friend filmed. We even had to pull him down from the balcony rail where he sat like he was filming a music video or something. By that time we had a youtube channel that we put the short freestyle clip up the next morning, just like "Penny Freestyle" or something, not that we had a big following or anything, just to show our friends back home that fucking Penny was in our apartment.

A day or so went by and then one morning i had a DM to the youtube Channel from Flip Skateboards saying something like "We ask you to please take down the clip with Penny since we believe its not a good look for him as a professional skateboarder." I immediately took it down and was super scared that someone was gonna be mad. Kinda regret i didn't just make it private since i'd love to have it now.

Owen

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 302
    • My Photos avatar image
« Reply #322 on: March 08, 2021, 01:06:24 AM »

Gnarred for the Wesley Willis reference
Jorts
Anklets
Rat tails
Sling shots
Toe rings
Shuv it tail grabs
Jump ramps

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1047
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #323 on: March 08, 2021, 02:11:44 AM »
In January 2020, I was eating dinner with my cousin (who doesn't skate) in Surry Hills in Sydney.

And he still smiled.

Pros must have lots of stories about weird non pros who come up to them in public.

Ha, yeah and that area of Sydney is full of crazies too, lots of homeless, druggies, weird things going on that once you know, you just get used to it all and take it in your stride, but Chima has always been a champ!

I once saw Nathan Jackson at Nerang skatepark, shirtless, absolutely obliterating a board. Like smashing it into pieces then smashing the pieces into pieces. Not entirely sure why, he was just chilling before that. This is right around when the Skate Rock China video came out.

I think almost everyone I have seen or known including Nathan from Brisbane or Gold Coast has had one of these moments sooner or later.  Not proud of it, maybe even feel a bit guilty for being there and just kind of ignore it and keep going with whatever it was you were doing, but that is how it goes.

I recall Matt Mumford at Coorparoo skatepark for a demo getting the shits on a front pop shuv to nose grind that he had been trying for maybe too long and Mappy had been filming.  I could see he was getting more and more pissed, and ended up focusing his board and throwing it into the side of the middle bank, picking it back up and throwing it again more than once.  It stayed there for a while during the demo and I could see people eyeing it off while he went to have a beer or something away from the park, but then came back for it just before kids scooped it up.  He ended up giving it to them anyway, but I bartered with them and gave them some new Indy trucks for the old almost axled trucks that came off his board, so he could have his bushings back that were in his old ones.  Old bushings back then were like gold!  I still have his old Indy trucks on one of my boards too.

Another good Matt Mumford story, when he and the Globe team came in to City Beach Queen Street (where I worked on the ramp / skate area) and I helped setup the signing tables and did the MC for the thing, as I usually did, everything as per normal, lots of people coming in, shaking hands, getting things signed, etc.  Then this hot almost biker looking mum type came in, dodged the line, walked right up to Matt and looked him in the eyes for a good ten seconds, then said pretty loud so we all heard "I want you".  He sat back, smiled that knowing smile and said something like "No worries" to her never losing eye contact, but when she would not leave and other people were waiting in the line being held up, we had to politely but firmly remove her from the area.  She didn't want to go anywhere and so my guess is he had a pretty interesting afternoon when he left the signing.

Aussie legends!!!!!
I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Sila

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 338
  • Jamu Gost
« Reply #324 on: March 08, 2021, 02:18:29 AM »
Were living in Barcelona around 2012-13. One time me and my friends had been out partying after skating so had our boards with us although it was like 4 in the morning. All of a sudden we hear someone screaming from a window and it was Penny. He came down to us and wanted to chill. We were super stoked although he was completely out of it.

We had some beers at our place and suggested he would come over to hang which he did. He eventually started to freestyle out on the balcony like crazy which my friend filmed. We even had to pull him down from the balcony rail where he sat like he was filming a music video or something. By that time we had a youtube channel that we put the short freestyle clip up the next morning, just like "Penny Freestyle" or something, not that we had a big following or anything, just to show our friends back home that fucking Penny was in our apartment.

A day or so went by and then one morning i had a DM to the youtube Channel from Flip Skateboards saying something like "We ask you to please take down the clip with Penny since we believe its not a good look for him as a professional skateboarder." I immediately took it down and was super scared that someone was gonna be mad. Kinda regret i didn't just make it private since i'd love to have it now.

So the clip is gone for good?

cucktard

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 225
« Reply #325 on: March 08, 2021, 03:19:25 AM »
Expand Quote

And he still smiled.

[close]

Ha, yeah and that area of Sydney is full of crazies too, lots of homeless, druggies, weird things going on that once you know, you just get used to it all and take it in your stride, but Chima has always been a champ!

Expand Quote
[close]

I think almost everyone I have seen or known including Nathan from Brisbane or Gold Coast has had one of these moments sooner or later.  Not proud of it, maybe even feel a bit guilty for being there and just kind of ignore it and keep going with whatever it was you were doing, but that is how it goes.

I recall Matt Mumford at Coorparoo skatepark for a demo getting the shits on a front pop shuv to nose grind that he had been trying for maybe too long and Mappy had been filming.  I could see he was getting more and more pissed, and ended up focusing his board and throwing it into the side of the middle bank, picking it back up and throwing it again more than once.  It stayed there for a while during the demo and I could see people eyeing it off while he went to have a beer or something away from the park, but then came back for it just before kids scooped it up.  He ended up giving it to them anyway, but I bartered with them and gave them some new Indy trucks for the old almost axled trucks that came off his board, so he could have his bushings back that were in his old ones.  Old bushings back then were like gold!  I still have his old Indy trucks on one of my boards too.

This has a bit of a different meaning on this side of the pond, mate.

I thought you were taking the story in a certain direction, and frankly a bit disappointed
I’m trying to be every mom’s favorite skater’-&&

Duane's the type of guy to ask to see your junk then go to school and tell everyone you're gay. - Uncle Flea

silhouette

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1572
« Reply #326 on: March 08, 2021, 04:26:37 AM »
^ I mean if you choose to read the whole paragraph with that alternative direction of thinking, it also kind of works, it's the essentially same story just ten times more graphic. Opting to take the bit about getting more and more pissed literally also enhances the immersion.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1047
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #327 on: March 08, 2021, 04:48:00 AM »

This has a bit of a different meaning on this side of the pond, mate.

I thought you were taking the story in a certain direction, and frankly a bit disappointed

Ha yes, sorry to disappoint...

There are probably quite a few stories that involve sharting, (is that even a term?) or a drunk shit the bed moment, but I try to stay away from those adventures.

That story was really only a lead in for the main event, getting railroaded by the bride of Satan would have been one hell of a good night!

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Ingenting Polisen

• Rep: -1
    • https://imgur.com/a/ErQuTFP avatar image
« Reply #328 on: March 08, 2021, 04:55:08 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

So the clip is gone for good?

Should be on a disk somewhere i guess. If i find it i'll send you in a PM!

franc

• Rep: 102
« Reply #329 on: March 08, 2021, 05:00:27 AM »
Expand Quote

Sorry guys.
[close]

By jj you mean jake johnson?

Yes.