Author Topic: CURRENT WOODSHOP DIRECTORY 2021 + misc deck and board info, help, questions, etc  (Read 206110 times)

BALARGUE

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 596
    • Balargue Skateshop avatar image
How’s the Passport 8.5” compared to for example Polar and DLX shapes? Wheelbase is apparently 14.5” which I like but other than that, how is it? Short/long, steep/mellow, full/pointy…?
just compared Polar and Passport 8.5", both from most recent drop.

Gated Vase
herrington chain smoker

center of holes wb is actually 14.375" on Polar

overall look: really similar

main differences:
longer wb on Passport ("half a hole", a real 14.5" i would say)
more concave on Passport
tail's slightly less tapered on Passport ("fuller")
tail and nose 1 or 2 Millimeter shorter on Passport (32.125" vs 32.08")

same steepness for kicks

Edit: my bad just saw woodshop perfect post

« Last Edit: October 23, 2021, 07:39:10 AM by BALARGUE »

LebowskisRug

I’ve had both and Polar has less fingers of flat and steeper kicks.

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 266
  • Just deck / woodshop info
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Expand Quote
How’s the Passport 8.5” compared to for example Polar and DLX shapes? Wheelbase is apparently 14.5” which I like but other than that, how is it? Short/long, steep/mellow, full/pointy…?
[close]
just compared Polar and Passport 8.5", both from most recent drop.

Gated Vase
herrington chain smoker

center of holes wb is actually 14.375" on Polar

overall look: really similar

main differences:
longer wb on Passport ("half a hole", a real 14.5" i would say)
more concave on Passport
tail's slightly less tapered on Passport ("fuller")
tail and nose 1 or 2 Millimeter shorter on Passport (32.125" vs 32.08")

same steepness for kicks

Edit: my bad just saw woodshop perfect post

It is always good to get other opinions too, so never just take my word for anything.

At least as you said, the wheelbase is shorter, even if listed as 14.5 they are more like 14.375 which is always interesting.

Better to have more info than less for sure!

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
Thanks for the info on the Passport 8.5 guys. Seems like it might work well for me. Maybe I’ll get one in the future. No real need currently as I have way too many boards in my stack. Passport has some nice graphics and I like what they’re doing otherwise too.

skunty

• Rep: 73
Expand Quote
[close]

DLX have three different shapes in 8.5 with some confusion as there is the shorter one at 31.8 with 14.25 wb which is the most common, the normal one which is 8.5 x 32.25 with 14.38 wb (which is a little more pointy than the ones below) and another one I haven't seen in a while which is the 8.5 x 32.5 with 14.75 wb so a longer one all up.

Just chiming in to say I got a 8.5x31.8 Krooked, it seemed small so I finally measured it after a few days and the width was actually about 8.38. Measuring in the shop next time for sure.

TwisT

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1060
when you want to measure the tail and the nose of the board, do you guys just measure from the bolts to the tip? Do you use a rope or a hard ruler? Measure with the curve?

I want to update measurements to my online store.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2021, 10:10:09 AM by TwisT »

z_tx

• Rep: 26
3 Primtive 8.25s from recent drops
All decks are the same shape but made at 3 different woodshops, one China (?), one Mexico (BBS), one USA (?)
I usually love the bbs primitive decks but pretty disappointed they are using cheaper woodshops now. A homie skated one of the "made in USA" P-Rod decks and it broke within a few hours. Any idea what woodshop the China and USA decks are coming from? Thanks

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
when you want to measure the tail and the nose of the board, do you guys just measure from the bolts to the tip? Do you use a rope or a hard ruler? Measure with the curve?

I want to update measurements to my online store.

It is a funny one, but if you have a retractable tape measure, hook it over the end of the kick and then run it down to the middle of the bolts, with the tape measure pressed into the deck.

That seems to be the best way, although I am sure people will have other methods.

The difference between holding it tight to the bolts is about 1/16" or 2mm on a couple of boards I have just done, so it will not change too much, but maybe specify (measured with concave / without concave).

The main difference comes when measuring with the concave on the whole length, when compared to measuring straight across, eg a 31.85 to 32" long deck often measures 32.4 to 32.6" or more when pressed to concave, which is a significant difference - one that often got people when checking PS Stix decks (measured with the concave) compared to others (measured straight across).

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
3 Primtive 8.25s from recent drops
All decks are the same shape but made at 3 different woodshops, one China (?), one Mexico (BBS), one USA (?)
I usually love the bbs primitive decks but pretty disappointed they are using cheaper woodshops now. A homie skated one of the "made in USA" P-Rod decks and it broke within a few hours. Any idea what woodshop the China and USA decks are coming from? Thanks

No idea on the woodshops used, but how are the concaves on the boards?

BBS is very spoon shaped in the kick department - one that I have seen concave attempted to be copied but never quite turned out the same.

A China one I saw a while back was very flat through the middle but had sharply angled kicks, which didn't seem like any others except maybe a Dwindle "Flat concave, Steep kick" board, but who knows.

Never seen the USA one but there are only a handful of places that make boards, so it would have to be one of those, eg Anno Domini, Pennswood, South Central, Watson, Prime or somewhere else maybe.

* Concaves can change, boards can be made in China or elsewhere and branded USA, or others playing secret squirrels but all this means is you might not get what you want and people are less likely to buy Primitive boards if they are an unknown woodshop if they care about such things.

Also, are those other stickers manufacturing stickers or from the shop you bought them from?

And are these all from shops in USA or other?

Thanks.

RichardBarkley

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -763
Ok so....

Alien Workshop and habitat have different woodshops for EU

Does that mean they are using different shapes then US?

I heard the US shapes are nice and full like FA/Hockey, is that true ?
I want to fight you so badly richard
Please give me your address ill make it my life goal to punsh your face in

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1923
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
Ok so....

The US Habitat / AWS ones I've encountered are full-ish - more like a Quasi instead of shovel like FA/Hockey. Personally find that more appealing that the boxy FA/Hockey shape.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

RichardBarkley

• SLAP Pal
Expand Quote
Ok so....

[close]

The US Habitat / AWS ones I've encountered are full-ish - more like a Quasi instead of shovel like FA/Hockey. Personally find that more appealing that the boxy FA/Hockey shape.

Hmm... Ok interesting

The reason I only skate fa/hockey 8" is cos they are the perfect pair with Venture low. it's heavenly. Particularly the hollows.

But I'm sick of paying 20 euros more per deck (more sometimes) than every other brand

I also like their videos etc but I'm not into the brand per se and feel like a douche only skating FA decks lol.

So I heard Alien/habitat shapes are similar. But what I really want to know more is do they pair well with venture lows.

So maybe being more like Quasi is good I dunno

JimGeko

• Rep: -38
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Ok so....

[close]

[close]

Hmm... Ok interesting

The reason I only skate fa/hockey 8" is cos they are the perfect pair with Venture low. it's heavenly. Particularly the hollows.

But I'm sick of paying 20 euros more per deck (more sometimes) than every other brand

I also like their videos etc but I'm not into the brand per se and feel like a douche only skating FA decks lol.

So I heard Alien/habitat shapes are similar. But what I really want to know more is do they pair well with venture lows.

wouldn't it be more to do with the wheelbase, fingers of flat between bolts and tail/nose and the steepness of the tail/nose that would make a board work well with venture lows? but that is throwing you into the world of madness where I lived for a number of months until realising I couldn't stand venture lows (or highs) or thunder or ace or tensor mag lights. I ended up skating indy's where I started in the first place.
What do you say on a Slap signature?

I DON"T KNOW!

MASHED POTATO * APPLE SAUCE * BUTTERY... BISCUITS.

https://ephmedia.giphy.com/4e27e798-9a5d-4df3-87ba-b18f905e055a.gif

RichardBarkley

• SLAP Pal
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Ok so....

[close]

[close]

Hmm... Ok interesting

[close]

wouldn't it be more to do with the wheelbase, fingers of flat between bolts and tail/nose and the steepness of the tail/nose that would make a board work well with venture lows? but that is throwing you into the world of madness where I lived for a number of months until realising I couldn't stand venture lows (or highs) or thunder or ace or tensor mag lights. I ended up skating indy's where I started in the first place.

Pretty much. The Habitat boards I'm looking at have near identical dims to the FA

Reasoning and science aside... I feel like I could still get skanked though ha.

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1923
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
Would definitely ride a Habitat / AWS if my every loving stack of boards wasn't increasing that rapidly. Just got some sample blanks in, parks are closed and I'm on home quarantine, at this rate I'll be riding the same board for 2 months!
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Ok so....

[close]

[close]

Hmm... Ok interesting

[close]

[close]

Pretty much. The Habitat boards I'm looking at have near identical dims to the FA

Gone are the days you could just go into a shop and stand on a board, but if you are still the lucky minority in that regard, go stand on all the boards you can, as that is the best way to see and feel out a deck.

You might even find something else you didn't know about too.

At the very least you could ask the shop for top pics or what it has on the sticker, as I did think there were still some BBS Alien Workshop and Habitat decks in the UK but as I am on the other side of the world, it is all down to what you can find there, or what the shops will share with you, information or pics, etc.

fs1/2cab

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 608
    • a short part avatar image
Ok so....

The AWS and Habitat decks in Europe are mostly made in China. The concave and shape seems to be the same as from BBS. I recently met someone who had a AWS from BBS and it felt exactly the same as mine from China. The nose and tail are definitely full but not as square as Quasi. Another option for you could be Darkroom. They are from BBS, even here in Europe. Very similar shape to AWS and Habitat.
IG: @flowterspace

RichardBarkley

• SLAP Pal
Expand Quote
Ok so....

[close]

The AWS and Habitat decks in Europe are mostly made in China. The concave and shape seems to be the same as from BBS. I recently met someone who had a AWS from BBS and it felt exactly the same as mine from China. The nose and tail are definitely full but not as square as Quasi. Another option for you could be Darkroom. They are from BBS, even here in Europe. Very similar shape to AWS and Habitat.

Very interesting on Darkroom. Thanks

Damoforce

• Rep: 24
    • YouTube Channel avatar image
I have AWS, FA / Hockey & Darkroom ( All 8.25 )

Fa/ Hocket the fatest, AWS pretty fat too - my AWS is BBS ( Australia ) Kicks are sort of alike but the Hockey has a 14.12 WB compared to AWS of 14.25

But the Darkroom is not really close to AWS in shape

WKND was also really fat with a mellow as kick. Prob almost my favourite deck ( PS Stix - no Ps Stix sog oddly enough )

GX1000 also fat, medium kicks but sogged in 2 weeks ( PS Stix )

Only fat boards I'm yet to try that are on my list atm are the Quasi and the Real Fulls
Just an older guy trying to learn to Skateboard over 30 with developing gear madness syndrome

Join me on YouTube for skateboarding, reviews and ect

FatGuy92

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 576
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Ok so....

[close]

[close]

Very interesting on Darkroom. Thanks

I skated 3 of the 7.875 spectrum decks in a row and they don't hold up well just FYI. I'm not a board breaker by any means, but they razored and chipped faster than anything else I've skated in the last couple years. In regards to the shape, it's very close to perfect imo. Nice wide shovel nose and slightly tapered tail. Not sure if the 8.0s are the same, but I'm sure they're very similar. As a caveat, I'm US based, so the wood is different.

JimGeko

• Rep: -38
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Ok so....

[close]

[close]

Hmm... Ok interesting

[close]

[close]

Ive never used a FA/Hockey board but I can recommend the habitat boards. the full nose is amazing and also some of their boards are available in different wheel base sizes. I'm riding the DELA dog board with the 14.25 WB with Mindys and its perfect for me.
What do you say on a Slap signature?

I DON"T KNOW!

MASHED POTATO * APPLE SAUCE * BUTTERY... BISCUITS.

https://ephmedia.giphy.com/4e27e798-9a5d-4df3-87ba-b18f905e055a.gif

sammyz

• Rep: 82
Anyone try the new girl decks from PS stix?

Noticed that the new love seat is Ps stix…loved the shape but i hated the pressure cracks i got after 1 week. If they dont get pressure cracks im gonna get on girl decks.

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
Anyone try the new girl decks from PS stix?

Noticed that the new love seat is Ps stix…loved the shape but i hated the pressure cracks i got after 1 week. If they dont get pressure cracks im gonna get on girl decks.

Hadn't heard or seen anything, but any other info is appreciated.

Did you see them in person or a listing or pic somewhere?

All (almost all) Girl and Chocolate boards have been from China, with only the one series of a few boards being on PS Stix from a while back that I know of - that one with the fist and another one I cannot recall right now - but any links, pics or other info is always appreciated.

Thanks.

* I was waiting for anyone else to say something, but it seems no one did earlier.

sammyz

• Rep: 82
I was looking at local shops website and they list most of their new girl decks as made in mexico at ps stix…for reference:

https://www.basementskate.com.au/girl-skateboard-deck-contemplation-9.0-bannerot/

https://www.basementskate.com.au/girl-skateboard-deck-blooming-8.375-pacheco/

Sila

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 332
  • Jamu Gost
Does Dwindle have any shapes close to the fuller Real/DLX/BBS shapes but not square? I can't get to a shop to see anything and the last R7 I had was a bit too tapered at the tail for my liking.

Basingstoke

• Rep: 34
I am moving back to the UK next week and wondered who was still pressing boards in the UK, if at all.

A Third Foot has sadly bitten the dust, Gnosis is a new one who else is there ?

TwisT

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1060
Does Dwindle have any shapes close to the fuller Real/DLX/BBS shapes but not square? I can't get to a shop to see anything and the last R7 I had was a bit too tapered at the tail for my liking.

Dwindle has “full concave” boards with no taper. I’d say look at one of the catalogs on their site to see which ones are labeled as full.

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
I was looking at local shops website and they list most of their new girl decks as made in mexico at ps stix…for reference:

https://www.basementskate.com.au/girl-skateboard-deck-contemplation-9.0-bannerot/

https://www.basementskate.com.au/girl-skateboard-deck-blooming-8.375-pacheco/

It seems to have all Girl boards listed as PS Stix, even the Pop Secret ones (which cannot be as PS Stix does not do carbon stuff) so I would either go in to check them out in person or ask for a top pic before going ahead with them, if you were super keen on a PS Stix board.

That said, a lot of people like the newer Girl / Chocolate wood, so you might have a better board from Dalian Hauhong than from Mexico there, going by how much others don't like what is coming out on PS Stix lately too, but who knows.

Sure would be interesting to know either way, but given everyone else has China made Girl decks, it might be a long shot.

As a reference, I have seen this board in a Brisbane shop and it was definitely not PS Stix (but that is not to say that others are not).

https://www.basementskate.com.au/girl-skateboard-deck-future-og-8.125-bennett/

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
A line of conversation from another thread, Girl still made in China...

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Bought the Chris Roberts twin tail deck eight and a quarter and it is f****** awesome
[close]

I think I read somewhere that those are are pressed at PS Stix. Do you know if that info is correct?
[close]

They're not.
[close]

Probably a select few pro models (Jeron Wilson BLM and maybe Chris Roberts Twin Tail) but the rest of the boards are still done in China from what I recall
[close]

Unless they switched to PStix after the proff called out the Crob's crail twin proto not being symmetrical on the 9club, they'd still be made in china.

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1018
  • Just another skate shop guy
I am moving back to the UK next week and wondered who was still pressing boards in the UK, if at all.

A Third Foot has sadly bitten the dust, Gnosis is a new one who else is there ?

I didn't even know about A Third Foot (just added to the list even though they have closed) but there is minimal knowledge of any other UK based woodshop.

Gnosis seems to be the only one still around, but other people might know more and then I can add any others to the list as well.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.