Author Topic: CURRENT WOODSHOP DIRECTORY 2021 + misc deck and board info, help, questions, etc  (Read 204526 times)

Radim

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 12
Zoo York 2021 in EU definitely not from Chapman/ASF - see attached. Thin veneers, very light and not stiff. I am returning the item... in my experience comparable to DSM price point boards from birch.

In 2019 Z.York in EU were real ASF wood, stiff and thick board, I have one in Logo Gold design for winter skating till these days. Heavy pressure cracks, but never lost its pop. Reminds me some old Foundation/Toy Machine decks I had in late 90s.

Fountain of Youth since 1995. Thank you Skateboarding!

Creature 8.0 - Venture 5.2 - F4 52/99a

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 973
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Zoo York 2021 in EU definitely not from Chapman/ASF - see attached. Thin veneers, very light and not stiff. I am returning the item... in my experience comparable to DSM price point boards from birch.

In 2019 Z.York in EU were real ASF wood, stiff and thick board, I have one in Logo Gold design for winter skating till these days. Heavy pressure cracks, but never lost its pop. Reminds me some old Foundation/Toy Machine decks I had in late 90s.

Thanks!

I updated the woodshop listing.

Another one to an "unknown" woodshop, but at least it is known they are made in China.

Also good info on the ASF wood and thickness, etc.

Here in Australia, the only Zoo York boards I have seen all seem to be cheap looking completes, almost like the company has just sold the license and a generic sporting goods company is doing some board branding, but that is the way with many companies nowdays, cheap completes from China, regardless of where the pro boards are made.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

MxsDx

• Rep: 90
Does anyone know if the wheelbase on the Alltimers 8.3 is 14.25 or 14.5? I’ve seen it listed both ways. Thanks!

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 264
  • Just deck / woodshop info
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Does anyone know if the wheelbase on the Alltimers 8.3 is 14.25 or 14.5? I’ve seen it listed both ways. Thanks!

Yeah it might be a funny one, even checking the size, at 8.3 only or 8.375 or 8.38 which should all be the same, but often end up with different info.

https://www.alltimers.com/collections/boards

Their own site doesn't have any info at all - very helpful - but you could contact them directly to see.

So far a few searches have come up with a 32 length and 14.5 wb, with only one with more info than that, but I am still looking.

https://www.skatedeluxe.com/en/alltimers-johnson-8-3-deck-multi_p145662

width: 8.3"
length: 32"
wheelbase: 14.5"
nose: 6.875"
tail: 6.6"

https://www.skatewarehouse.com/Alltimers_Zered_Clean_Up_Deck/descpage-ATZCUDK.html

Width - 8.3"
Length - 32"
Wheelbase - 14.5"

Then there is this one:

https://skateparkoftampa.com/product/87846/Alltimers_Zered_Bassett_Clean_Up_Deck

Size 8.3 x 32.125 WB:14.25

https://www.tactics.com/alltimers/zered-clean-up-83-skateboard-deck

SIZE   8.3
WIDTH (IN):   8.3
LENGTH (IN):   32.0
WHEELBASE (IN):   14.25
NOSE (IN):   6.75
TAIL (IN):   6.5

Might be best to contact the shop to check before buying, as it is a fairly even mix overall, as you said 14.25 or 14.5 wb.

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal

Even this one, which is in between...

https://www.tactics.com/alltimers/cedric-johnson-creative-growth-83-skateboard-deck

SIZE   8.3
WIDTH (IN):   8.3
LENGTH (IN):   32.0
WHEELBASE (IN):   14.375
NOSE (IN):   6.875
TAIL (IN):   6.625

https://www.routeone.co.uk/products/alltimers-zered-sticker-skateboard-deck-8-3-001106039

8.3" Wide
32" Long
14.375" Wheelbase

I don't think they would have different sizes / shapes for 8.3 variants, but it is a little confusing.

MxsDx

• Rep: 90
Thanks for the responses. I dm’d alltimers and will fill you in if/when I hear back and/or if I am able to measure one in person.

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
Thanks for the responses. I dm’d alltimers and will fill you in if/when I hear back and/or if I am able to measure one in person.

Like another board brand that uses the same woodshop as Alltimers, I have two decks here of 8.3 size, (actually 8.38 wide) one longer 32.25 with 14.5 wb and one shorter 31.95 with 14.25 wb, so there is a chance they are using two shapes of the same size width as well.

There was very little info on them, besides what I saw when I measured them, which is after I had already bought them.

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1094
ISO 775 ish, less than 14 wb. Prefer pgi, ps. Will probably buy a Craig.
If anyone has any suggestions tho, lemme know.
Please.
Thanks.

LebowskisRug

MaxAllure is BBS only for team decks but moving their account to there.

BugleBites

• Rep: -68
Not sure if it’s been mentioned but a Primitive rider was just in the shop and said they’re using Pennswood now.

TwisT

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1034
Not sure if it’s been mentioned but a Primitive rider was just in the shop and said they’re using Pennswood now.

Interesting pennswood has some crazy dye jobs. And they we’re sliding in paper thin veneers of other wood on the bottom just give the wood grain look like no other. I wonder if primitive will take advantage of that creativity or will pennswood be able to experiment with such a large client.

Also, wasn’t there a rumor in this thread that primitive bought a wood shop?

Lou Strux

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2156
  • The Swede is down at Venice Beach, shove off!
Expand Quote
[close]

Interesting pennswood has some crazy dye jobs. And they we’re sliding in paper thin veneers of other wood on the bottom just give the wood grain look like no other. I wonder if primitive will take advantage of that creativity or will pennswood be able to experiment with such a large client.

Also, wasn’t there a rumor in this thread that primitive bought a wood shop?
Y’all could just ask @pennswood.

I wanna play you in a game of SKATE for the right to continue talking shit on me.  You think you got me?

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1117
Have anyone ever got confirmation of where the Tactics shop decks are produced?
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

backinaction

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 277
Have anyone ever got confirmation of where the Tactics shop decks are produced?

For years they have been BBS.  Haven't heard anything about the new drops in the last 3 months, but I would assume they wouldn't change.

Source : employees in store.

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
Another woodshop to add to the list:

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
nonconform skates 10 x 31.25 with a 14.25 wheelbase! Thing of beauty

[close]

sick! i was so tempted to buy one too. but i got too much backlog already and a couple upcoming boards i need to buy too.. but for that price it was so hard to pass.
how is the wood? i'll be getting a Meltdown deck soon thats made in the same woodshop.
[close]

Good wood, perfect shape. I think the will reprint soon , so keep your eyes peeled
[close]

I feel like I know (or should know) but which woodshop makes these?

From their instagram:

“The Pale Horseman“ 10.0 shaped decks are now available! Produced in the Netherlands and screen printed in Germany. Every board is custom stained and one of a kind. Only 30 made. Check the link in bio for orders and more infos.
If your country isn't listed, contact us via DM or mail for individual shipping!

https://www.nonconform-skates.com/product/the-pale-horseman-10-0-shape

Shape and dimensions look really good too!
[close]

Karate Woodchop in Rotterdam did these. but not all Nonconform decks are from there.
its a new company that started last year. still small scale and all done by one man.

http://jeroenvansluis.nl/karatewoodchop/?page_id=515

https://www.instagram.com/karatewoodchop/

https://www.instagram.com/p/CE7rBqPJJ6H/

https://www.instagram.com/p/CRekcuRFjJM/

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

3 theories boards i got for around 100 in that Union skate shop sale a few weeks back
[close]

Great deals!

I had been told some are BBS and some are Clutch.

Can you give me any more info on those boards you got?

Thanks.
[close]

Probably clutch.  I’ve skated a lot of Clutch blanks through Chapman, and they feel the same.  I like em; they tend to last me about a month or so

https://www.theoriesofatlantis.com/

Theories
Picture Show
Traffic
Hopps

burm

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 126
I had a Pennswood deck years ago from a slap pal’s company Open Skateboards, it was super good. Never seen any of the current brands that use them here in the EU.
take what small comfort there may be left
seize what you love and damn all the rest

GumOnMyGrip

• Trade Count: (+34)
  • Rep: 220
I had a Pennswood deck years ago from a slap pal’s company Open Skateboards, it was super good. Never seen any of the current brands that use them here in the EU.

I miss Open. I had two and they were great.
Check out OdessaSexCult if anyone wants Pennswood.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 973
  • Just another skate shop guy
Been busy, but had some time today.

Updated the listings, some new woodshops, a few changes, etc.

Re speculation over things like Pennswood, I had heard someone else a while back say Primitive was using them which makes sense if there are the "Made in USA" decks, but it is only what I had heard, so not sure whether or not to put it in the listings or not.

I had also seen some brands in local shops here (in Australia) on what seems like totally different wood to what others in the USA or Europe might be, so hopefully I can also add in country or location to some of the listings that have different woodshops for the same brands for different places, mostly brands that come to mind are Zero, Toy Machine, Foundation, Uma (which has been explained) but also not sure if others like Magenta and Isle are still BBS everywhere, or just the ones I saw here, with them being on Clutch or another woodshop in the USA.

It is a curious one, with some people so focused on where something is made, but actually overlooking the quality of the item, or making generalisations about a woodshop, eg all their boards are (insert whatever here) when I feel like some boards will perform differently, from the same stack, from the same batch, etc - one lasts a month, one lasts a day.

I am also not really concerned with single accounts of who broke which board on their first skate or how much longer this woodshop product lasts compared to that one, but at least it is good that people do put up their opinions on product they have used, what they did or didn't like about it, or anything else relating to the Slap Woodshop thread, because after all, we are all skateboarders and all come together here to enjoy talking about skateboards, find info, or whatever else.

If someone had something interesting to share, truth, pics, whatever, it would be awesome to add it to this thread.

I do not ever think I deal in what some might call "conspiracy theories", so although I might suggest something is from somewhere, or people say this or that about wood grain, stains, concave, shapes, dimensions or manufacturing marks and stickers, it is much more difficult to list brands and woodshops correctly for the brands and people if they don't want to tell who is doing what, specifically those who are actually the ones running the companies or making the boards, so if you would like anything corrected, changed or even removed, please let me know and I will be happy to sort it out for you as well.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

pointandclick

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 243
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

3 theories boards i got for around 100 in that Union skate shop sale a few weeks back
[close]

Great deals!

Thanks.
[close]

Probably clutch.  I’ve skated a lot of Clutch blanks through Chapman, and they feel the same.  I like em; they tend to last me about a month or so
[close]

Theories
Picture Show
Traffic
Hopps
clutch wood?

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

Great deals!

Thanks.
[close]

[close]

Theories
Picture Show
Traffic
Hopps
[close]
clutch wood?

Yes, but what about the other brands under them, in particular Isle and Magenta?  Any info on whether they are still BBS, or are also on Clutch there now?

Seems like Studio is still Control as the Theories website has "Made in Canada" and Evisen doesn't have a made in so assuming that is still Dwindle as per the listing.

WavyDavy

• Rep: 129

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
Was this 2hex already mentioned? Anyone knows if they produce for someone?

https://www.instagram.com/2hexskateboardfactory/
https://www.2hex.com/
https://theberrics.com/2hex-revolutionizing-custom-skateboard-production

I had heard 2Hex is actually very expensive from a few people, but only one guy I know has boards from them, through a local brand here, which he says are decent quality and good shapes, but I have never seen any to my knowledge.

Maybe it is more just the very awkward product review by the guy on youtube ads or how their product is marketed, but I feel like my first instinct is to stay well clear of them, thinking they look like a cheap generic version of the good stuff, in the same way sellers on Ali Express or other similar manufacturers have pro brand look alikes with different brand names.

It would still be interesting to hear if anyone has skated their boards, or how they are compared to other woodshops.

fs1/2cab

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 595
    • a short part avatar image
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

Great deals!

Thanks.
[close]

[close]

Theories
Picture Show
Traffic
Hopps
[close]
clutch wood?
[close]

Yes, but what about the other brands under them, in particular Isle and Magenta?  Any info on whether they are still BBS, or are also on Clutch there now?

Seems like Studio is still Control as the Theories website has "Made in Canada" and Evisen doesn't have a made in so assuming that is still Dwindle as per the listing.

Just got a Magenta from the new season a few days ago. Looks and feels like BBS but I also never had a deck from Clutch before. I am in Europe tho. Maybe the stickers on the top give any Information?

IG: @flowterspace

Violator

• Rep: 73
@fs1/2cab I'm currently waiting on a recent Magenta deck (I'm in the US) and will confirm once it arrives, but I believe that type of warning sticker is indicative of BBS decks. 

El Freegano

• Rep: 217
the official magenta page says Bareback

TwisT

• SLAP Pal

I had heard 2Hex is actually very expensive from a few people, but only one guy I know has boards from them, through a local brand here, which he says are decent quality and good shapes, but I have never seen any to my knowledge.

Maybe it is more just the very awkward product review by the guy on youtube ads or how their product is marketed, but I feel like my first instinct is to stay well clear of them, thinking they look like a cheap generic version of the good stuff, in the same way sellers on Ali Express or other similar manufacturers have pro brand look alikes with different brand names.

It would still be interesting to hear if anyone has skated their boards, or how they are compared to other woodshops.

I've logged in to 2hex. I like their site. I like any company that makes the board order process simple. They do are seem costly at least for here in America. They appear targeted to larger brands, but I also don't know why a larger US brand would go with them over who they're using already. Usually these types of factories won't turn away business if you contact them directly and will work with you, but based on their site, a (what I'd consider standard) 2 stain deck, Canadian maple, with bottom graphic is $25 with Minimum order being 50 decks per size. Shipping not included. A small NA local brand would be better off going with any of the smaller NA woodshops.

now if you did 1000 decks in that size, with a top graphic, engraving, and card insert, that would be $17 per deck. They also do trucks, wheels, etc Playing around with their ordering tool provides some interesting insite

They also did some sponsored content with the berrics last year, during the hardgoods shortage but I don't know anyone in the US that's used 2hex

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
Some of their innovations are crazy, like printing a graphic straight onto the deck, which I think at least one other place has done now as well, but I also wonder how much of the old technology is slowing down some older woodshops, compared to some of the newer woodshops that can buy the latest and greatest machines and do much more than what some places do.

I know even from seeing the old videos from woodshops like BBS or PS Stix, compared to their newer technological advances, there are so many upgrades and changes that have happened.

As you said, having lower order minimums means a higher price per unit, which I think is why people looking for small runs of boards have said they are too expensive, especially as they will have to bring the boards into the country, rather than just use a supplier that already has wood in a warehouse, maybe even in the same state (thinking more of Australia here, but could also be said for US or other places too).

Interested to see where they take it, as a business, but not so interested to buy in or order any product.

Was this the one, from Berrics?

https://www.instagram.com/p/CHsnhZ0lI3-/

TwisT

• SLAP Pal
Some of their innovations are crazy, like printing a graphic straight onto the deck, which I think at least one other place has done now as well, but I also wonder how much of the old technology is slowing down some older woodshops, compared to some of the newer woodshops that can buy the latest and greatest machines and do much more than what some places do.

I know even from seeing the old videos from woodshops like BBS or PS Stix, compared to their newer technological advances, there are so many upgrades and changes that have happened.

As you said, having lower order minimums means a higher price per unit, which I think is why people looking for small runs of boards have said they are too expensive, especially as they will have to bring the boards into the country, rather than just use a supplier that already has wood in a warehouse, maybe even in the same state (thinking more of Australia here, but could also be said for US or other places too).

Interested to see where they take it, as a business, but not so interested to buy in or order any product.

Was this the one, from Berrics?

https://www.instagram.com/p/CHsnhZ0lI3-/

Yeah, they also made the "do a kickflip" board for the berrics.

As far as direct to wood printing. as far as my research goes, any UV flatbed printer can do that. I don't think they are offering anything proprietary.

https://youtu.be/3fB0RbE3a_E

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
Yeah.

Sure is a whole new level of production!