Author Topic: CURRENT WOODSHOP DIRECTORY 2021 + misc deck and board info, help, questions, etc  (Read 206226 times)

Woodshop

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 269
  • Just deck / woodshop info
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Was this 2hex already mentioned? Anyone knows if they produce for someone?

https://www.instagram.com/2hexskateboardfactory/
https://www.2hex.com/
https://theberrics.com/2hex-revolutionizing-custom-skateboard-production

Also, there are those 2 Euro woodshops in Poland

https://www.instagram.com/nibiruskateboards/

https://www.instagram.com/locals_skateboards_mfg/
http://www.localsskateboards.com/

Locals makes boards for nonconform skates

Almost forgot to check those links from before too.

Thanks

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1019
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

3 theories boards i got for around 100 in that Union skate shop sale a few weeks back
[close]

Great deals!

I had been told some are BBS and some are Clutch.

Can you give me any more info on those boards you got?

Thanks.
[close]

Probably clutch.  I’ve skated a lot of Clutch blanks through Chapman, and they feel the same.  I like em; they tend to last me about a month or so
[close]

https://www.theoriesofatlantis.com/

Theories
Picture Show
Traffic
Hopps
[close]
clutch wood?
[close]

Yes, but what about the other brands under them, in particular Isle and Magenta?  Any info on whether they are still BBS, or are also on Clutch there now?

Seems like Studio is still Control as the Theories website has "Made in Canada" and Evisen doesn't have a made in so assuming that is still Dwindle as per the listing.
[close]

Just got a Magenta from the new season a few days ago. Looks and feels like BBS but I also never had a deck from Clutch before. I am in Europe tho. Maybe the stickers on the top give any Information?

They always used to do the brown stains, like Passport did - same wood and everything, so it is funny to see orange tops.

Here are some Passports I just bought, second pic of the tops and third pic of the warning stickers are the same.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

fs1/2cab

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 608
    • a short part avatar image
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

3 theories boards i got for around 100 in that Union skate shop sale a few weeks back
[close]

Great deals!

I had been told some are BBS and some are Clutch.

Can you give me any more info on those boards you got?

Thanks.
[close]

Probably clutch.  I’ve skated a lot of Clutch blanks through Chapman, and they feel the same.  I like em; they tend to last me about a month or so
[close]

https://www.theoriesofatlantis.com/

Theories
Picture Show
Traffic
Hopps
[close]
clutch wood?
[close]

Yes, but what about the other brands under them, in particular Isle and Magenta?  Any info on whether they are still BBS, or are also on Clutch there now?

Seems like Studio is still Control as the Theories website has "Made in Canada" and Evisen doesn't have a made in so assuming that is still Dwindle as per the listing.
[close]

Just got a Magenta from the new season a few days ago. Looks and feels like BBS but I also never had a deck from Clutch before. I am in Europe tho. Maybe the stickers on the top give any Information?

[close]

They always used to do the brown stains, like Passport did - same wood and everything, so it is funny to see orange tops.

Here are some Passports I just bought, second pic of the tops and third pic of the warning stickers are the same.

Yeah that had me curious, because it was always brown tops. I know I am in the minority, but I love orange tops.
IG: @flowterspace

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal

Yeah that had me curious, because it was always brown tops. I know I am in the minority, but I love orange tops.

Most of the DLX boards I had for the last however many (almost twenty?) years were almost always yellow or orange tops, so I am always stoked to get another one like that one you have now, especially now considering they seem to do a lot more different colours that what they used to do.

I know it is down to the grain of the wood, but some seem to have a darker orange and some lighter too, as per these, which show up more in the pic than they do in person, but just another interesting thing.

Two of my eagles:

BALARGUE

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 597
    • Balargue Skateshop avatar image
a few confirmations
Magenta is "mainly" BBS
(they made some boards with quarterdist because of shortage / being overtaken in the queue last year though)

Evisen is Dwindle (just received last drop, boards come with the same sticker you find on the side of dwindle completes / Dsm-Made in China Green Sticker)

Studio is Control
(just received last drop, made in canada sticker as always)

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
a few confirmations
Magenta is "mainly" BBS
(they made some boards with quarterdist because of shortage / being overtaken in the queue last year though)

Evisen is Dwindle (just received last drop, boards come with the same sticker you find on the side of dwindle completes / Dsm-Made in China Green Sticker)

Studio is Control

Thanks!

I recall seeing (and probably posting) info about Quarter Distribution before, but having another look, they look like decent concaves and shapes too.

Apart from that, I guess I know nothing about them, besides being in Berlin, Germany.

Just one of many of their posts about their boards.

And another cause they do big shapes as well.

TwisT

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1062

Judging by their reposting, Polo uses Chapman. I know a lot of you were wondering. worry no longer

chat noir

• Rep: 1
What's up with Flip's wood? It has been over 20 years since i've had a Flip deck. Saw a Lance Mountain shape I liked.

Ghost Face

• Rep: 104
Expand Quote
a few confirmations
Magenta is "mainly" BBS

Studio is Control
[close]

Thanks!

I recall seeing (and probably posting) info about Quarter Distribution before, but having another look, they look like decent concaves and shapes too.

Apart from that, I guess I know nothing about them, besides being in Berlin, Germany.

How many of these do you think are just 2Hex remixed? 2Hex is obviously just a middle man between Brand X and some unknown factories and will have your stuff made on your behalf, but don't actually do it themselves.
Jerrys Kid : "I work at my real job like I'm a pro skater. Years of work can be summarized to about 3 minutes worth of actual achievements."

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1927
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
What's up with Flip's wood? It has been over 20 years since i've had a Flip deck. Saw a Lance Mountain shape I liked.

Clutch wood, good but not great IMO, others may disagree.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Ghost Face

Expand Quote
[close]

Only Clutch in the US? Euro is HLC right and there's some price point stuff out of China. It's hit and miss depending on where you are.
Jerrys Kid : "I work at my real job like I'm a pro skater. Years of work can be summarized to about 3 minutes worth of actual achievements."

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal

How many of these do you think are just 2Hex remixed? 2Hex is obviously just a middle man between Brand X and some unknown factories and will have your stuff made on your behalf, but don't actually do it themselves.

Yeah I think I asked last time it was brought up but never actually got an answer as to where those boards come from, or I could be wrong and someone actually did give an answer.

There are a few suppliers and distribution companies that would be considered resellers more than anything else, but I also think some might not be so thrilled about people speculating online about their product, especially given I have never seen it and probably never will on the other side of the world.

Re Quarter Distribution - Others have said it held up well though, which is why I am much more interested in posting about them too.

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Only Clutch in the US? Euro is HLC right and there's some price point stuff out of China. It's hit and miss depending on where you are.

As far as I know Flip USA use Clutch, haven't seen a Flip out of EU yet so I can't confirm. But I know the decks out of China are counterfeits; they still do PJ Ladd graphics on them. Pre-built complete Flip are also out of China, but not counterfeits.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Ghost Face

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

As far as I know Flip USA use Clutch, haven't seen a Flip out of EU yet so I can't confirm. But I know the decks out of China are counterfeits; they still do PJ Ladd graphics on them. Pre-built complete Flip are also out of China, but not counterfeits.

https://hlcdist.com/?___store=hlc_en

MysticalTypeExperience

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Rep: 128
Can any of the true wood connoisseurs in here enlighten me on what's good within the smaller woodshops? Seems like BBS is the gold standard but I have to imagine there are other small shops out there doing it even better. I have an Active shop deck that I believe is Anno Domini (Colorado) and it really feels excellent, especially considering it was $21.

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
Can any of the true wood connoisseurs in here enlighten me on what's good within the smaller woodshops? Seems like BBS is the gold standard but I have to imagine there are other small shops out there doing it even better. I have an Active shop deck that I believe is Anno Domini (Colorado) and it really feels excellent, especially considering it was $21.

So the most interesting thing with that (besides how curious it is to even know which woodshop it comes from sometimes) is most woodshop owners or associated people will often throw around sayings like "Best wood in the biz" or whatever similar saying, but meaning their woodshop is better than the rest.

Nothing against each woodshop owner or associated person, but when you hear that all the time or read it on social media posts, you start to just ignore it as just a common marketing / sales thing and it starts to not mean much at all, or if someone is very vocal about it, I just smile and nod, often with a "Yeah sure" or something, if they really want a response.

Although there is not a definite measure of whose is the best, at least on here there are often any number of people singing the praises of (or putting down) any given woodshop at any given time.  What I would also take into consideration is what that individual skater did to have a board last only a day, or last a full year - maybe an exaggeration, but when some people go through a board every week or so, having one last a month might be unexpected in both a good or bad way, eg the board was so soggy it didn't break so lasted a whole month before changing it out, or the board was so stiff and kept its pop they had it on a whole month.

Some places like NHS had a "Research and Development" department, with a machine that puts repeated weight and pressure on the kicks of a board until it breaks, with videos to show it.  That's all good and well, but I don't really need what might be considered a big corporate company (using a machine) to show me how long a board will last.

What it does come down to is more often the personal preference of concave, angle of kicks, overall dimensions, size and the shape, so while woodshops differ significantly in some of those areas, someone who is very used to one version of concave might not be able to skate a board from nine other woodshops, if their concave is different - like me as an example.  Just because I have very specific needs, doesn't make me think any less of other woodshops, but it does make me not enjoy skating most boards because of how conditioned I am to a specific concave, so someone else in that position might give a negative review of a board because they personally didn't like it for whatever reason.

Then of course there is the unfortunate heavy landing, or misplaced foot, which can end a skate rather quickly, but does tend to happen either in the first session when the board is really new for some people, or after too many hits and it just gives out.  I know quite a few people who often put it down to a bad board, but from seeing them skate, I put it down more so to them not landing correctly and breaking a board, not that a board was bad.  Even done it myself many times back when I was more keen, never I can recall it being the fault of the board.

So after taking all that into consideration, I would say there are definitely some boards from some suppliers that would break more easily than others, or have other issues, but nothing I have really heard or seen that would make me say Woodshop A, B and C are great, but Woodshop D, E and F are not, especially in the smaller manufacturing sector.

The list is always growing on the first page, second post, mostly with some info here or there besides just a name, link to website or instagram, but I think many of those woodshops are very specific to certain areas and it is not that common for their boards to make it out of their given country, or continent, even though some do end up all over the world, so it might be harder in that regard to track down specific boards from any given woodshop too.

Always curious to hear more from people who have been able to sample a wider range of boards, more so than just a few major suppliers, especially if they are not "first day board breakers".

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
Adding this here, as per initial post a while back:

OMSK

• Rep: 39
Have anyone ever got confirmation of where the Tactics shop decks are produced?

All Tactics shop decks are still made through BBS/Generator. I handle all the shop board production for them.

I Can't Think

• Rep: 31
Would anyone know any PS Stix brands that are generally easily accessible and readily available in Australia? I've had really good luck with them recently, but I notice a lot of brands will use different woodshops depending on the location they're selling to, if it's a pro model, etc.

Sativa Lung

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 856
Would anyone know any PS Stix brands that are generally easily accessible and readily available in Australia? I've had really good luck with them recently, but I notice a lot of brands will use different woodshops depending on the location they're selling to, if it's a pro model, etc.

WKND are pretty easy to find just about everywhere and they share a distribution with passport so I'm sure they're around.  Quasi/gx1000 boards seem to be everywhere as well.

All exclusively use PS but either way PS are amongst the easiest boards to ID. Just walk into the shop and look for the stickers.

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
Expand Quote
[close]

WKND are pretty easy to find just about everywhere and they share a distribution with passport so I'm sure they're around.  Quasi/gx1000 boards seem to be everywhere as well.

All exclusively use PS but either way PS are amongst the easiest boards to ID. Just walk into the shop and look for the stickers.

Don't you mean the laser engraving over the front truck mounting holes?

BBS ones now have the hologram sticker at the rear truck mounting holes.

@Mbrimson88 tracks the AU market, always a good resource.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Sativa Lung

• SLAP Pal
Not sure if it’s been mentioned but a Primitive rider was just in the shop and said they’re using Pennswood now.

If this is true its only for the team riders or something has massively changed in the last 6 months. There is zero chance a little woodshop notorious for being months behind on 50 board orders (and this is pre-pandemic) is suddenly going to start churning out the kind of volume that primitive needs. Pennswood just isnt that kind of shop - its literally a dude and his family on a farm in the middle of fucking nowhere making shit by hand.

Joe is super creative and innovative and makes really great looking boards but quickly and reliably meeting that kind of production almost requires going out of country.

Sativa Lung

• SLAP Pal
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Don't you mean the laser engraving over the front truck mounting holes?

BBS ones now have the hologram sticker at the rear truck mounting holes.

@Mbrimson88 tracks the AU market, always a good resource.

No, I mean the bright red and white safety sticker that goes on the shrink wrap and often obscures the engraving. The PS one is the biggest of the standard ones and super easy to spot.

Sativa Lung

• SLAP Pal
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
a few confirmations
Magenta is "mainly" BBS

Studio is Control
[close]

Thanks!

[close]

2hex isnt a middleman, they actually produce what they sell. They're basically your modern VC model but applied to skating gear (guessing theres some rich European kids involved here) - they either possessed or raised enough capital to buy/lease a factory in china and are now expanding into all aspects of cheap chinese skate gear production including ugly trucks and wheels. I think of them as a super generic dwindle or something.

Basically its just all the stuff you'd normally have to go through ali-express to find but with a nice user interface and automated process. You can order 10000 boards without ever talking to a person and thats appealing to some people these days.

Their insta has a lot of information behind the scenes and they're pretty easy to contact. I'd be amazed if they aren't lurking on here too.

Never had one of their boards so i cant say if they're any good but if someone stateside has one they want to sell hit me up. They certainly look like they're doing things right and we've seen that the quality of the product coming from china has massively improved in the past few years. The guys in charge definitely skate so that always makes me hopeful.

fs1/2cab

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 608
    • a short part avatar image
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
a few confirmations
Magenta is "mainly" BBS

Studio is Control
[close]

Thanks!

[close]

[close]

2hex isnt a middleman, they actually produce what they sell. They're basically your modern VC model but applied to skating gear (guessing theres some rich European kids involved here) - they either possessed or raised enough capital to buy/lease a factory in china and are now expanding into all aspects of cheap chinese skate gear production including ugly trucks and wheels. I think of them as a super generic dwindle or something.

Basically its just all the stuff you'd normally have to go through ali-express to find but with a nice user interface and automated process. You can order 10000 boards without ever talking to a person and thats appealing to some people these days.

Their insta has a lot of information behind the scenes and they're pretty easy to contact. I'd be amazed if they aren't lurking on here too.

Never had one of their boards so i cant say if they're any good but if someone stateside has one they want to sell hit me up. They certainly look like they're doing things right and we've seen that the quality of the product coming from china has massively improved in the past few years. The guys in charge definitely skate so that always makes me hopeful.

Quarter Dist is like 30 minutes away from me. Nice peeps and the quality is good of the decks no doubt. Just something about the shapes I tried felt a bit off. (too much fingers of flat, too flat between the kicks) But that is just me personally and a lot of people enjoy their decks and don't have the madness.
IG: @flowterspace

LebowskisRug

Max Allure uses BBS for team only decks, but might be dropping a few in their line soon.

I Can't Think

• Rep: 31
Expand Quote
[close]

Perfect, appreciate it

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Perfect, appreciate it

Yes there are definitely lots of GX1000 and Quasi boards around Australian shops still.

I haven't really looked so much for WKND here, but at least they are all still 100% PS Stix too.  Looking at the first list again and so many of the top brands who used to be on PS Stix are now on BBS or elsewhere.

Not sure why but I know some shops remove the shrink wrap and the warning stickers, which is weird.

The serial number line is the best giveaway, when they have SN# PS10032-0321

Pretty cool as was pointed out a while back that the first number refers to the batch and the second number is the board number from that batch.

As per post from a while back:

https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=116070.msg3560908#msg3560908

Here is the generic PS Stix top to show anyway.

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
This was one with the warning sticker, as BFRD said, they sure are bigger than most.

Also usually not over bolts, as that is where the serial number is, so they are often up a bit higher on the nose.

Sativa Lung

• SLAP Pal
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
a few confirmations
Magenta is "mainly" BBS

Studio is Control
[close]

Thanks!

[close]

[close]

[close]

Quarter Dist is like 30 minutes away from me. Nice peeps and the quality is good of the decks no doubt. Just something about the shapes I tried felt a bit off. (too much fingers of flat, too flat between the kicks) But that is just me personally and a lot of people enjoy their decks and don't have the madness.

Are they actually pressing their decks though or just distributing them? If it's the latter there's a good chance they're coming from China. It's a pretty common business model over here to import a mass of blanks, store them, and then print and apply heat transfers on demand. Dunno how common or feasible it is in Europe though. Chapman does it with clutch blanks but I would assume it's a lot cheaper and easier to import from China for euros.