Author Topic: CURRENT WOODSHOP DIRECTORY 2021 + misc deck and board info, help, questions, etc  (Read 208467 times)

iw0

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 504
got the itch to replace a zero deck of my youth, i had a 7.75 that always felt awesome. but it was a while back and i'm pretty sure they've changed woodshops and are on clutch now and were on bbs before that it looks like? how are they feeling these days vs before i guess is what i'm asking

ish_wav

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 100
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
got the itch to replace a zero deck of my youth, i had a 7.75 that always felt awesome. but it was a while back and i'm pretty sure they've changed woodshops and are on clutch now and were on bbs before that it looks like? how are they feeling these days vs before i guess is what i'm asking

Clutch wood post pandemic is awful. I feel like the QC is not there and are skipping corners somewhere

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 273
  • Just deck / woodshop info
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.

I think it also depends on where you are and how old the board is you are looking at.

Things have changed a whole lot, all over the world, with many appearing to be Dwindle or made in China in many places, one even said to be that in the US, (but still not sure on that one), but you can ask where it comes from and the shop should be able to tell you, even if it has a "Made in..." sticker that would help.

Any of those boards could last well enough if you don't go through boards that quickly though, with more emphasis being on the concaves of the different woodshops, but it is a bummer when any board goes soggy sooner rather than later.

iw0

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 504
Expand Quote
[close]

Clutch wood post pandemic is awful. I feel like the QC is not there and are skipping corners somewhere

yeah i didn't even think about QC stuff, that just killed the itch lol thank you

Expand Quote
[close]

I think it also depends on where you are and how old the board is you are looking at.

Things have changed a whole lot, all over the world, with many appearing to be Dwindle or made in China in many places, one even said to be that in the US, (but still not sure on that one), but you can ask where it comes from and the shop should be able to tell you, even if it has a "Made in..." sticker that would help.

Any of those boards could last well enough if you don't go through boards that quickly though, with more emphasis being on the concaves of the different woodshops, but it is a bummer when any board goes soggy sooner rather than later.

i'm in the US and the board has gotta be 13ish yrs (plus or minus) old now maybe? still has streetcorner era ventures on it, so i guess youth may have been a bit dramatic. surprisingly it's still pretty snappy for being a beat to hell trunk board

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
Uma just confirmed on Instagram that they are BBS worldwide now. Difficulties in starting the brand were cited as the reason for some of the made in China boards.

Check the comments on this post:

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
Uma just confirmed on Instagram that they are BBS worldwide now. Difficulties in starting the brand were cited as the reason for some of the made in China boards.

Thanks for the post.

Good info right there.

I guess not every brand / account manager would be so forthcoming with information, but it definitely makes me feel like I would be more willing to buy a product from a brand when they are up front and honest about their product information too.

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
From the Egg thread, just saw Adored so looked them up, first line on this post:

Skateboards are in stock 8, 8.25 and 8.5. Made by BBS in Mexico.

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
Expand Quote

[close]

Thanks for the post.

Good info right there.

I guess not every brand / account manager would be so forthcoming with information, but it definitely makes me feel like I would be more willing to buy a product from a brand when they are up front and honest about their product information too.

Definitely. I’ve been hesitant on buying Uma due to the China thing but now I’m quite tempted. They’ve got some nice looking shapes and I quite like their graphics. Team isn’t half bad either.  ;D

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1955
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
https://powell-peralta.com/powell-peralta-pro-charlie-blair-necromancer-skateboard-deck-shape-242-8-x-31-45

Not sure if this is public knowledge but Powell decks are made in China now, even the Pro Models.

I thought it was just Mini Logos and budget completes using Birch.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

backinaction

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 279
https://powell-peralta.com/powell-peralta-pro-charlie-blair-necromancer-skateboard-deck-shape-242-8-x-31-45

Not sure if this is public knowledge but Powell decks are made in China now, even the Pro Models.

They moved production of the maple popsicle decks more than a year ago - maybe two? 

Some time in the last year they moved production of most of the reissues to Mexico (https://powell-peralta.com/powell-peralta-og-ripper-skateboard-deck-orange-10-x-30-14989)

I believe the Flight boards are still in the US.

TwisT

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1090

reissue descriptions say "Made with our partner in Mexico"

Mini logos say "Rock Hard" maple and powell boards "Hard-rock" maple which I imagine are Legally different. Santa cruz and dwindle also use that "Rock Hard" maple discription for their price points.

I do wonder what happened to the US factory. Did they just pack it up and ship it to china?

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1037
  • Just another skate shop guy
I had better update the woodshop list then.

Is it just a matter of time with all the other major players moving to cheaper places of production, or a sign of things that production and manufacturing in the US is just getting too expensive?

Anyone ask people at the US woodshops what is going on?

Seems to have been pretty quiet lately.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
Expand Quote

[close]

reissue descriptions say "Made with our partner in Mexico"

Mini logos say "Rock Hard" maple and powell boards "Hard-rock" maple which I imagine are Legally different. Santa cruz and dwindle also use that "Rock Hard" maple discription for their price points.

I do wonder what happened to the US factory. Did they just pack it up and ship it to china?

Sounds like it, there's no way Powell / Mini Logo boards are selling fast enough to justify a full scale woodshop in the US.

Maybe just the Flight decks.

https://powell-peralta.com/powell-peralta-pro-andy-anderson-heron-flightr-skateboard-deck-8-45-x-31-8
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal

It was a pretty awesome layout in the tour video from a while back with George.

Seem to recall someone saying they had relocated not too long ago.

Between changing location and upping prices of those reissue boards 22% or whatever it was, seems it takes it up another level of margins and whatever.

Certainly would make some people re think their desire to get the latest colourway of that new reissue they wanted, but for those that are up to their tenth or whatever version of that board, it is no turning back and doing more reissues is just printing money for Powell, which ever way you want to look at it.

backinaction

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 279
SkateOne making shop decks

TwisT

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1090
see that's makes since. No way they'd just be using their US facility for light decks alone. Seems like a waste of resources.

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
see that's makes since. No way they'd just be using their US facility for light decks alone. Seems like a waste of resources.

I don't know, maybe the boards are still pressed in China but screened in the US?
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
Given production could take a while (a few months) these might have been pre move to China, or just the overall number of boards was too much for the small single facility, so like many others, they still have that place to do special runs and whatever they want in smaller quantities, but then have a significantly larger place in China to mass produce their normal range of boards.

MxsDx

• Rep: 98
Primitive has a shape labeled as 8.375 x 31.925 (nose 6.9/tail 6.7/WB 14.2).  Dimensions look great, but it can be hard to track down a tolerable graphic. Is anyone aware of other brands using this BBS/Generator shape?

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
Primitive has a shape labeled as 8.375 x 31.925 (nose 6.9/tail 6.7/WB 14.2).  Dimensions look great, but it can be hard to track down a tolerable graphic. Is anyone aware of other brands using this BBS/Generator shape?

I feel like some of the dimensions listed on sites cannot be trusted, as I have seen a number of boards I would think are BBS in about that size, sometimes listed as 8.375 or 8.38 or even just 8.3 that do have the sub 32 length and shorter overall, but when I just went looking, I couldn't see many.

The usual 8.38 is often the longer board, eg 8.38 x 32.25 with 14.5 wb (often listed as 32 length, but always longer wb) whereas the usual 8.375 is more in that shorter size, 31.9 or something similar and shorter wb 14.25 as per some sites.

Brands I seem to recall seeing the dimensions as you had listed on are the newer Element decks, maybe mislabeled some DGK (but the ones I have were the bigger 8.38 boards), a Heroin board but I think that was bigger too.

Others I know have shorter boards in general that I thought I might have seen include 917, April, some Alltimers 8.38s.

They might not have anything decent in graphics (or brands you are interested in) but the graphic can always be removed or covered if you find the right size and shape you want to ride.

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
Re

Zero decks in USA:  2021 are BBS

https://zeroskateboards.com/

I did the Zero package...

All three of mine: 8.5" - Wimer "Shallow Grave", Burman "Skeleton", and Black/Green "Ransom"? All three are from recent seasons.

They ALL have a divot and 8.5 lazered in between the nose's mounting holes.

Just a heads up for those going to snag the bailout deal. For the record, the boards feel good after stepping on it: ample concave, good shape: the shape is not super full, nor super pointy either on the 8.5.

Just checked mine and they have the same punch/size marks that you mentioned and 2 of 3 are still available on the zero site and the other is still in online shops. 2 have a BBS hologram sticker under the shrink and the other has the sticker on the outside of the shrink.

The latest ones are BBS. one of our local skateshop posted the video of the topside with the BBS sticker on instagram.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1037
  • Just another skate shop guy
Woodshop list updated.

Also from the Quasi thread:

https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=108613.120

It seems some boards are on BBS but yet to hear more, maybe the rest still on PS Stix.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
I found another woodshop on instagram:

https://www.instagram.com/capetownskates/

Cape Town Skates
Single Pressing : Handcrafted : Eco Spirit : Skateboard Decks : Cape Town Roots : Made on the South Coast UK
Since 2018

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
From another thread.

The board size and info is rather unique.

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

44 bucks: https://www.oldskullskateboards.com/element-x-peanuts-roy-x-loy-deck-8-46/

Never skated an Element before, but it was on sale, plus its Peanuts!  ;D
[close]

They are BBS and all the Element boards I have were on such a good sale, good shapes, solid wood, etc (just de graphic / painted them and away I went).

Funny about the size though, 8.46 is so random.

Curious if it is about that size, or more likely an 8.5 x 32 with 14.25 wb as stated.
[close]

I'll measure and report back.  :) Thank you for your constantly updated "CURRENT WOODSHOP DIRECTORY" thread. Makes buying decks online easy. The local shop is text/call to open, and the owner stopped replying to me. So I guess I'm blacklisted. Idk why, but oh well, online shopping will have to suffice.
[close]
The dimensions sound awful close to a Baker B16. I was always curious how similar those Loy Elements were to the Baker shape. I also noticed one of the first Colin Provost Creature decks was the same 8.475x31.875 14.25wb as the B16 though Element and Baker sharing shapes through BBS makes more sense than doing it with Dwindle.
[close]

Reporting back with info, the deck just arrived. Old Skull's listed dimensions are incorrect.

I measured the deck, and the imprinted dimensions above are accurate. Fucking cute deck, the snoopy comic on it is adorable. I'm going to feel bad skating it.

FatGuy92

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 582
Duffel’s board brand has some interesting shapes and measurements. The 8.38 with the 14wb sounds nice

fs1/2cab

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 620
    • a short part avatar image
Duffel’s board brand has some interesting shapes and measurements. The 8.38 with the 14wb sounds nice

He said he tries to find a distributor for Europe if so, I will definitely get the 8.25 × 31.75

Love the Duffman. Duffman skates a lot of things.
IG: @flowterspace

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
Expand Quote

[close]

He said he tries to find a distributor for Europe if so, I will definitely get the 8.25 × 31.75

Love the Duffman. Duffman skates a lot of things.

They have a good range of sizes all round.

Even a shorter 8.5 90's shape too.

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal

Glider skateboards, from LA that have regular and twin shapes in 8 and 8.25 sizes.

Info from the Twin thread.

https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=105756.msg3684082#msg3684082

They have a normal board listed too, which they have info on (below) too, so I wonder if the twin boards are something else.

Were other Chapman boards a bit thicker?

https://gliderskateboards.com/products/deck-03-standard-avalyn

Traditional popsicle shape designed with Chapman Skateboards (Zoo York, Supreme, etc.). Pro quality construction that's made with Canadian 7-ply maple wood.

pointandclick

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 245

Glider skateboards, from LA that have regular and twin shapes in 8 and 8.25 sizes.

Info from the Twin thread.

https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=105756.msg3684082#msg3684082

They have a normal board listed too, which they have info on (below) too, so I wonder if the twin boards are something else.

Were other Chapman boards a bit thicker?

https://gliderskateboards.com/products/deck-03-standard-avalyn

Traditional popsicle shape designed with Chapman Skateboards (Zoo York, Supreme, etc.). Pro quality construction that's made with Canadian 7-ply maple wood.
are they actually chapman or clutch screened/transferred at chapman. i miss old chapman decks.

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal

are they actually chapman or clutch screened/transferred at chapman. i miss old chapman decks.

Well from what I have heard, Chapman are not pressing boards at all (maybe even got rid of the presses, but I don't know how true that is) so I am guessing they are Clutch, but could also be sourcing boards from China or elsewhere just as easily too.

I had heard another well known woodshop in the USA is importing significantly more boards than they are pressing, just to keep up with demand, but unless someone who is actually there says anything, it is just "he said / she said" passing comments.

Do Clutch press twin shaped boards?